TESTERS WANTED! ×

Dlow206 does away with double bogeys

14 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

@RickyBobby_PR - here is Kirk's top of backswing for reference. i tend to have too flat of a hip turn

image.png.1b6c6dafda513e6d401bf4203ca20f76.png

Yeah when you look at his swing you can see what is pretty constant in all the good swings with some shoulder tips and left side bend and change in flexion of both left and right leg.

Speaking from experience of having a flat turn and/or no hip depth, it will make consistency harder and some days can be bad when timing is off

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

13 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Yeah when you look at his swing you can see what is pretty constant in all the good swings with some shoulder tips and left side bend and change in flexion of both left and right leg.

Speaking from experience of having a flat turn and/or no hip depth, it will make consistency harder and some days can be bad when timing is off

Thanks, definitely need to work on this, and thanks for the reminder. The feedback I had gotten from Monte a few months back on my one plane swing was 1) needing to get rid of the inside takeaway and 2) left knee needs to gain some flex in the backswing (which alludes to my shoulder and hip turn being too flat), and he had said to work on them one at a time, and i hadn't really focused much on #2, but its important.

Kirk tends not to give as much feedback on takeaway and backswing as long as the impact position looks good, but when my takeaway and backswing are off, i can at times come into impact ok and at times impact is terrible. So it makes sense why i have a lack of consistency. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

20 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Thanks, definitely need to work on this, and thanks for the reminder. The feedback I had gotten from Monte a few months back on my one plane swing was 1) needing to get rid of the inside takeaway and 2) left knee needs to gain some flex in the backswing (which alludes to my shoulder and hip turn being too flat), and he had said to work on them one at a time, and i hadn't really focused much on #2, but its important.

Kirk tends not to give as much feedback on takeaway and backswing as long as the impact position looks good, but when my takeaway and backswing are off, i can at times come into impact ok and at times impact is terrible. So it makes sense why i have a lack of consistency. 

The flat turn is typically going to cause a steeping if the shaft in transition. Then it’s a matter of how well our body compensates for it. For me if I played three straight days the third day was going to be a journey around the course.  Too many experiences with that on golf trips or some 3 day events on base.

A couple drills to consider is the sam Snead one. Google/YouTube search by that. Basically set club on shoulder, turn then push arms away.  

Other is arms folder across chest. Can do with a a club across the chest too. Turn. The shoulders then do a side crunch. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

11 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The flat turn is typically going to cause a steeping if the shaft in transition. Then it’s a matter of how well our body compensates for it. For me if I played three straight days the third day was going to be a journey around the course.  Too many experiences with that on golf trips or some 3 day events on base.

A couple drills to consider is the sam Snead one. Google/YouTube search by that. Basically set club on shoulder, turn then push arms away.  

Other is arms folder across chest. Can do with a a club across the chest too. Turn. The shoulders then do a side crunch. 

Yep, have been trying those different drills/feels. It takes me a while to figure out what resonates in my mind that makes my body do what i intend it to do. I've tried thinking about the left knee flexing, but i do something wrong and get closer to the ball in the backswing. Tried the right hip feel that Monte talks about as well.

What is resonating with my mind/body so far for whatever reason is thinking about how the right pec moves. 

Updated 07/15/2022
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip

4 hours ago, dlow206 said:

For better or worse, it reduces (not eliminates) some of the other bad that happens with my current swing. 

Yeah, even less hip turn than I remember.  Kirk turns a lot more as evidenced by the left knee flexing.  Not sure what your max lower body rotation is, but you should be close to max by the time left arm parallel, then upper body rotation completes the motion.  

I would practice rotation with an alignment stick through front belt loops trying to get to 45º; another alignment stick or club at shoulder level to get to 90º.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

Yeah, even less hip turn than I remember.  Kirk turns a lot more as evidenced by the left knee flexing.  Not sure what your max lower body rotation is, but you should be close to max by the time left arm parallel, then upper body rotation completes the motion.  

I would practice rotation with an alignment stick through front belt loops trying to get to 45º; another alignment stick or club at shoulder level to get to 90º.

Thanks. I don't have any flexibility issues, so thats not the problem. I think the problem is the flat hip turn gets me into a bad spot with the arms, so i started restricting the turn to try to get my arms in a less bad spot. I need to focus on what rickybobby was saying about the tilt. Things go really bad if i make a big but flat hip turn. 

Updated 07/15/2022

This was from just now. Intent was to try to have a steeper hip turn and allow the hips to turn

@Kenny B @RickyBobby_PR - thoughts?

Updated 07/15/2022

1 hour ago, dlow206 said:

This was from just now. Intent was to try to have a steeper hip turn and allow the hips to turn

@Kenny B @RickyBobby_PR - thoughts?

There might be a little bit of tilt but it looks more so from the left hip coming forward and just bending the knee rather than the right hip going back and up along with having flexion in the spine.

compare the separation in his legs and how the left hip is tilted up and how much flexion he has in the left leg 

Link to a Bryson slo mow from dtl

5F2F0F69-A5ED-4D36-A654-4A3C07DCE7E2.jpeg

1888AB3F-BDD9-4A7B-A2F1-3F769B788B38.jpeg

BFADF467-4A7A-41F8-A2EC-37FB03C1320D.jpeg

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

There might be a little bit of tilt but it looks more so from the left hip coming forward and just bending the knee rather than the right hip going back and up along with having flexion in the spine.

compare the separation in his legs and how the left hip is tilted up and how much flexion he has in the left leg 

Link to a Bryson slo mow from dtl

5F2F0F69-A5ED-4D36-A654-4A3C07DCE7E2.jpeg

1888AB3F-BDD9-4A7B-A2F1-3F769B788B38.jpeg

BFADF467-4A7A-41F8-A2EC-37FB03C1320D.jpeg

Thanks, i need to go back and figure out how to make my body do what its supposed to do, its not listening yet 😂

Updated 07/15/2022

2 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Thanks, i need to go back and figure out how to make my body do what its supposed to do, its not listening yet 😂

Best of luck!!!!

Mine hasn't listened for 30 years!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

30 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Best of luck!!!!

Mine hasn't listened for 30 years!

Can't figure out why it never wants to listen lol. I can do the movement with no club or with a club and no ball. Put the ball there and it wants to do something completely different. 

Updated 07/15/2022

8 hours ago, dlow206 said:

Can't figure out why it never wants to listen lol. I can do the movement with no club or with a club and no ball. Put the ball there and it wants to do something completely different. 

I’m guessing that you don’t do a lot of slow motion swings and segmented swings.

4 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I’m guessing that you don’t do a lot of slow motion swings and segmented swings.

Its not really that. It just takes some time for self-discovery. It wasn't until this morning that I figured out something. In my mind "rotate" meant the left hip and right hip rotate. So If I tell myself to "rotate", both hips rotate but I find the left leg doesn't gain much flex, it just kick inwards toward the trail leg, instead of the knee gaining flex and pointing more in the direction of the ball. 

Today i put myself into static positions and thought harder about what do i feel in my body. When in the proper static position at the top of the backswing, i feel like only the right hip is rotated and that the left hip has not rotated at all. While the left hip has in fact rotated, it just feels to me like it hasn't. 

It's similar to what Mike Malaska says in one of his videos about hip rotation. He says he doesn't feel like he rotates at all, he just feels like he pushes his trail hip back during the backswing. That's not exactly what I feel, but the point is more so that what you feel in the proper movement can be different than the way you interpret the word used to represent that movement. 

Updated 07/15/2022

Was working on swings again today. Still a lot of work to do, but I think its better than other recent swings. I sent this one into Monte for his feedback, i'm very much in the camp of backswing matters. I am not skilled enough to consistently be able to manipulate the club well from a bad backswing position. 

Updated 07/15/2022

2 hours ago, dlow206 said:

Was working on swings again today. Still a lot of work to do, but I think its better than other recent swings. I sent this one into Monte for his feedback, i'm very much in the camp of backswing matters. I am not skilled enough to consistently be able to manipulate the club well from a bad backswing position. 

No one can!  That's why Monte says that the setup, backswing, and transition determines your ability to properly strike the ball.  Can't manipulate the club after that.

I'd be interested to hear what Monte has to say.  If you have his Efficient Swing series video, he has a very good backswing segment.

On 12/3/2021 at 1:55 PM, Kenny B said:

No one can!  That's why Monte says that the setup, backswing, and transition determines your ability to properly strike the ball.  Can't manipulate the club after that.

I'd be interested to hear what Monte has to say.  If you have his Efficient Swing series video, he has a very good backswing segment.

Going to give the short explanation of the feedback Monte gave. He mentioned that how upright I was in the one plane swing was making it harder for me to do what needs to happen in a good golf swing. He said i would need more hip bend at setup and therefore need to stand farther from the ball. Also, besides the posture, my arms were getting behind in transition and the downswing, which is a problem that i have always had. He also mentioned he thinks that I would be able to make more longer term progress if I had a more traditional posture and traditional hand height (aka two plane swing). 

I have made the decision going forward to go back to a two plane swing. I know that i have been flippy floppy with swing systems, instructors, etc., and that has probably hurt my game (or slowed my progress), but I believe this is the right decision. Instead of focusing on what I have done in the past, going to take the learnings that i have had and focus on making progress going forward.

Working on speeding up the arms. 

Updated 07/15/2022

13 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Going to give the short explanation of the feedback Monte gave. He mentioned that how upright I was in the one plane swing was making it harder for me to do what needs to happen in a good golf swing. He said i would need more hip bend at setup and therefore need to stand farther from the ball. Also, besides the posture, my arms were getting behind in transition and the downswing, which is a problem that i have always had. He also mentioned he thinks that I would be able to make more longer term progress if I had a more traditional posture and traditional hand height (aka two plane swing). 

I have made the decision going forward to go back to a two plane swing. I know that i have been flippy floppy with swing systems, instructors, etc., and that has probably hurt my game (or slowed my progress), but I believe this is the right decision. Instead of focusing on what I have done in the past, going to take the learnings that i have had and focus on making progress going forward.

that’s a swing that should be able to play and score well on the course!

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

4 hours ago, dlow206 said:

Not surprised.  When I saw Monte for the first time, I had already ditched the SPS, but I had some "leftovers".  He doesn't care for it.  It had its purpose for me; basically made playing golf fun without the big slice.  However, I did not have much speed... still don't, but I think I'm better off now than where I was 6 years ago.  

Swing looks good except for the "Spieth" chicken wing, but he plays it pretty well!!  😂  Monte will fix that; have fun in SoCal.  Be sure to write up your daily lessons.  Should be a good read.

4 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Not surprised.  When I saw Monte for the first time, I had already ditched the SPS, but I had some "leftovers".  He doesn't care for it.  It had its purpose for me; basically made playing golf fun without the big slice.  However, I did not have much speed... still don't, but I think I'm better off now than where I was 6 years ago.  

Swing looks good except for the "Spieth" chicken wing, but he plays it pretty well!!  😂  Monte will fix that; have fun in SoCal.  Be sure to write up your daily lessons.  Should be a good read.

Yeah, don't know why I have that chicken wing, but I'm going to focus the arms trailing behind issue for now. You know this, but Monte doesn't want people working on more than 1 or 2 items at a time (usually if he gives me 2, he says to only work on one at a time). 

Updated 07/15/2022

12 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Yeah, don't know why I have that chicken wing, but I'm going to focus the arms trailing behind issue for now. You know this, but Monte doesn't want people working on more than 1 or 2 items at a time (usually if he gives me 2, he says to only work on one at a time). 

Yeah... I'm still working on one he gave me 2 years ago!!  I'm better, but I know he will still want me to rotate more in the backswing.  It's tough for this old body.  I can do it just fine with a weighted club, but put a ball down that I have to hit and I stop rotating!!  🙄  

After I get back from Palm Springs at the end of January, I'm signing up for online lessons.  I'd do it now, but I don't want to screw up my golf vacation.

Are you going to be sticking with Monte as your instructor? You switched away from him last time because you preferred hands on instruction. 

17 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Are you going to be sticking with Monte as your instructor? You switched away from him last time because you preferred hands on instruction. 

Yes, i will be sticking with Monte (i know i have made these types of statements in the past). 

After working with multiple different instructors and different systems, I have come to some realizations. I need someone who can point out the root cause(s) of my issues, tell me what is supposed to happen in the swing, and provides some good ideas on what to try (drills, feels, etc.). Then it's on me to figure out which of those drills and feels best resonate with my and how my mind/body work together. 

And now that my son is vaccinated, there will likely be more trips to the LA/OC area, so more opportunities to work with Monte in-person (my in-laws live in So Cal). Monte in-person lessons really help me a lot. Haven't had an in-person lesson with him for 2 years. Right after that lesson, my wife was seriously ill and then the pandemic hit, so haven't made it down to So Cal since. 

Updated 07/15/2022

Working on speeding up the arms the past few days. The thing with Monte is he doesn't always prescribe one single drill, he refers you to the "type" of drills and then you have to find one that works for you. Tried a few drills and they did speed up the arms, but i started to do some other unintended things. Finally came across a drill, Monte calls it a 9 to 3 swing. I came across the Dan C. version which is what to focus on as the intent of the drill. Backswing to arm parallel, trying to have the intent of keeping both arms straight (he said the trail arm with actually fold) and wrist set. Then try to get your arms through as fast as possible to the 3 o'clock position, arms straight as well in that finish position. 

Sent the following video in to Monte as part of the Improvement Plan. The interesting part is although my intent is left arm parallel, i get to what could be considered a full backswing position. Monte replied to the video with "Nice". Translating that into Monte Improvement Plan speak, that means keep doing that, you didn't introduce any new major issues, don't try to move onto other things. 

Updated 07/15/2022

Getting feedback of "nice" seems a little bit lackluster to me. I would stick with an in person coach who is not going to change things as frequently as they have been changed in this thread. I have seen multiple instructors, multiple swing methods, and multiple things worked on within days of each other. Epiphanies will happen and most of the time they are going to be useless or counterproductive. I know I am in the minority but I went from a 23 handicap to a 5.3 this season after only playing golf since May 2020. You need to stick to a plan and instructor and work with him tirelessly on one thing until it is perfect. That might mean working on your inside takeaway for 3 months until you can do it without thinking about it. If you are training and practicing correctly this should happen relatively quickly within 2-3 weeks and shouldn't take more than 4 weeks. An inside takeaway should not still be a conscious thought after having worked on it for this long. This is one of my favorite threads and you are one of my favorite posters on this website and I am rooting for you I just think some changes need to be made in terms of practice habits and jumping from one thing to the next.

23 hours ago, Goober said:

This thread seems to focus more on the physical appearance of the swing itself. What kind of scores is it giving you? That should be the main priority 

When I post the swing videos, its not about how aesthetic my swing looks. With that said, looking at the appearance of swings on video is how I and others can identify major flaws or root cause issues. 

3 hours ago, stephenmatt said:

Getting feedback of "nice" seems a little bit lackluster to me. I would stick with an in person coach who is not going to change things as frequently as they have been changed in this thread. I have seen multiple instructors, multiple swing methods, and multiple things worked on within days of each other. Epiphanies will happen and most of the time they are going to be useless or counterproductive. I know I am in the minority but I went from a 23 handicap to a 5.3 this season after only playing golf since May 2020. You need to stick to a plan and instructor and work with him tirelessly on one thing until it is perfect. That might mean working on your inside takeaway for 3 months until you can do it without thinking about it. If you are training and practicing correctly this should happen relatively quickly within 2-3 weeks and shouldn't take more than 4 weeks. An inside takeaway should not still be a conscious thought after having worked on it for this long. This is one of my favorite threads and you are one of my favorite posters on this website and I am rooting for you I just think some changes need to be made in terms of practice habits and jumping from one thing to the next.

I understand that I have jumped around quite a bit, that's purely on me. In working with a lot of different instructors, i have learned many things, both good and bad. I have also learned more about how I learn best. I know i still have a long way to go and my scores have not dropped as much as your, but I am proud that my scores have dropped from 110+ (before keeping a handicap) to mostly 90s. 

Updated 07/15/2022

• 2 weeks later...

If that's your dispersion with the Spieth chicken wing in your swing I'd keep it!!!  No need to spend time & effort getting rid of it since it looks like your natural swing personality and it isn't hurting your accuracy at all.   👍  

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

The second part of the lesson was a 9 hole playing lesson. I knew i needed a playing lesson because my short game is trash. The variability/consistency of my short game is extremely high some days its sufficient, some days its atrocious. 

One the first hole, had about a 50 yard shot into the green. Took my lob wedge and hit what I felt was a partial shot. Monte saw it and said that I will immediately drop 3 strokes if I fix my technique. He said I was taking a full swing from 50 yards but decelerating to get it to the right distance. Then he saw me putt and said I have a weight shift to the backfoot and then a hip rotation on the forward stroke. Later on, on the next hole, Monte saw me execute a shorter chip shot and he said I am firing my hips on a 15 yard chip shot.

So the large variability in my short game is caused by improper technique, which in my mind is a really good thing. If I had been using proper technique and having this much variability, that means that I was really poor at execution. With improper technique, there are specific changes that I can work on that will improve my short game. Monte was saying that with improvements, that I should quickly see a 3 to 10 shot drop in my scores, but that I have to put in the work. Here are the main specific changes, drills, feels, etc. that will help me:

1. With putting, put an alignment stick through my belt loops when practicing to monitor the hip movement
  2. Monte said due to the hip rotation in my putting, I naturally pull the ball, so I am to the right to compensate. During the lesson, when I was able to improve on limiting hip rotation, I started to miss everything right
  3. With chipping, pitching, and shorter approach shots (less than 100 yards), my lower body needs to stay more quiet, and I should feel like I am on my left side immediately, almost like a reverse pivot. The key here is feel. Monte is not saying to go out and make a big reverse pivot move on these shots. But what feels like that to me, is actually results in keeping the lower body quiet
  4. He also said not to rely on the bump and run shot that I have been using, and that the bump and run should only be used in a few limited circumstances. I had been relying on it so much because of my high variability with any other short game chip/pitch shot. 
  5. He said to stop choking down on my short chip/pitch shots. I tend to choke down quite a bit, most likely as a compensation for worrying about blading the ball too far

I was able to execute some of these changes pretty decently on the course during the playing lesson, and they had instantaneous positive impacts. 

Updated 07/15/2022

1 minute ago, Shapotomous said:

If that's your dispersion with the Spieth chicken wing in your swing I'd keep it!!!  No need to spend time & effort getting rid of it since it looks like your natural swing personality and it isn't hurting your accuracy at all.   👍  

The Spieth chicken wing went away during the lesson with the proper pressure shift and recentering that Monte had me work on. While that was the focus of the lesson, that change in movement made a lot of other bad things go away. Monte said that pretty much all of the bad things that happen in my swing are related to this in one way or another. 

Updated 07/15/2022