TESTERS WANTED! ×

Dlow206 does away with double bogeys

The issue with the full swing / decelerating for less than 100 yard shots is extremely common.  Ask somebody who struggles with this to take a 1/2 swing and then watch their hands get to their shoulder level... Show them the video and they can't believe it!  😮  

My big $$ idea of the day is to fabricate a right angle training aid stick to push in the ground that will act as a horizontal stop between the waist and shoulder to stop the hands at the desired height.  

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

@dlow206, thanks for sharing. Sounds like it was good. Now remember what he said and dont try to deviate! 😛 

The pressure shift is huge. I remember i period i was striking the ball the best this summer was when i was keeping my back to the target longer and shifting into my left side. Need to rekindle that spark.

Very interesting about your putting stroke. Makes me want to reexamine what is going on with myself.

Keep up the great work!

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

26 minutes ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

@dlow206, thanks for sharing. Sounds like it was good. Now remember what he said and dont try to deviate! 😛 

The pressure shift is huge. I remember i period i was striking the ball the best this summer was when i was keeping my back to the target longer and shifting into my left side. Need to rekindle that spark.

Very interesting about your putting stroke. Makes me want to reexamine what is going on with myself.

Keep up the great work!

Thanks. Definitely not going to deviate from this, especially after seeing the immediate impact that the correct movement can have. Normally my dispersion is right, right, right, left. 

Monte had said that everyone in his clinics has too much hip rotation/movement in their putting stroke, but mine was extreme. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

On 12/21/2021 at 9:44 AM, dlow206 said:

The second part of the lesson was a 9 hole playing lesson. I knew i needed a playing lesson because my short game is trash. The variability/consistency of my short game is extremely high some days its sufficient, some days its atrocious. 

One the first hole, had about a 50 yard shot into the green. Took my lob wedge and hit what I felt was a partial shot. Monte saw it and said that I will immediately drop 3 strokes if I fix my technique. He said I was taking a full swing from 50 yards but decelerating to get it to the right distance. Then he saw me putt and said I have a weight shift to the backfoot and then a hip rotation on the forward stroke. Later on, on the next hole, Monte saw me execute a shorter chip shot and he said I am firing my hips on a 15 yard chip shot.

So the large variability in my short game is caused by improper technique, which in my mind is a really good thing. If I had been using proper technique and having this much variability, that means that I was really poor at execution. With improper technique, there are specific changes that I can work on that will improve my short game. Monte was saying that with improvements, that I should quickly see a 3 to 10 shot drop in my scores, but that I have to put in the work. Here are the main specific changes, drills, feels, etc. that will help me:

1. With putting, put an alignment stick through my belt loops when practicing to monitor the hip movement
  2. Monte said due to the hip rotation in my putting, I naturally pull the ball, so I am to the right to compensate. During the lesson, when I was able to improve on limiting hip rotation, I started to miss everything right
  3. With chipping, pitching, and shorter approach shots (less than 100 yards), my lower body needs to stay more quiet, and I should feel like I am on my left side immediately, almost like a reverse pivot. The key here is feel. Monte is not saying to go out and make a big reverse pivot move on these shots. But what feels like that to me, is actually results in keeping the lower body quiet
  4. He also said not to rely on the bump and run shot that I have been using, and that the bump and run should only be used in a few limited circumstances. I had been relying on it so much because of my high variability with any other short game chip/pitch shot. 
  5. He said to stop choking down on my short chip/pitch shots. I tend to choke down quite a bit, most likely as a compensation for worrying about blading the ball too far

I was able to execute some of these changes pretty decently on the course during the playing lesson, and they had instantaneous positive impacts. 

What was the cost of the playing lesson or was it combined with the range time? 

Playing lessons is something I want to do more of in the future. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

3 hours ago, BMart519 said:

What was the cost of the playing lesson or was it combined with the range time? 

Playing lessons is something I want to do more of in the future. 

The 9 hole playing lesson was $250 including the green fees.

The separate one hour lesson was $175.

The playing lesson was super important for me given my problems with my short game. I've never filmed myself hitting short game shots, so I would have never known that I was firing my hips on a lot of shots, because I don't feel the hip movement that is actually there. 

Updated 07/15/2022
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip

1 hour ago, stephenmatt said:

Nice man, it sounds like both the lesson & playing lesson went really well! Getting to my lead side was one of the hardest things I had to change with my own swing but once I could do it consistently it made such a positive impact.

For me, I was previously getting to the lead side, but way too late. Monte wants me recentered before the end of the backswing, so that movement left needs to start for me by left arm parallel. Once I am in that proper position, the downswing feels like I am actually moving away from the target, which Monte said some will feel. Its because I am so used to thrusting/sliding forward, that proper rotation feels like i am moving backwards. I saw myself on video from a face on view and what I was feeling was way different than what showed up on the video. 

Updated 07/15/2022

5 hours ago, dlow206 said:

For me, I was previously getting to the lead side, but way too late. Monte wants me recentered before the end of the backswing, so that movement left needs to start for me by left arm parallel. Once I am in that proper position, the downswing feels like I am actually moving away from the target, which Monte said some will feel. Its because I am so used to thrusting/sliding forward, that proper rotation feels like i am moving backwards. I saw myself on video from a face on view and what I was feeling was way different than what showed up on the video. 

Nice!!  I'm really glad that you got the chance to see Monte.  My swing has really improved since I visited him last March, and shifting toward lead side before end of backswing is one of the reasons.  Now if I could just make a bigger turn in the backswing like he wants me to...  🙄

When I get back from my Palm Springs trip, I'm signing up for online lessons.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

12 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Nice!!  I'm really glad that you got the chance to see Monte.  My swing has really improved since I visited him last March, and shifting toward lead side before end of backswing is one of the reasons.  Now if I could just make a bigger turn in the backswing like he wants me to...  🙄

When I get back from my Palm Springs trip, I'm signing up for online lessons.

The biggest takeaway from me was the short game. I can see why my attempt to use Monte's Use the Bounce in the past didn't work, because of the extreme amount of hip movement I have. I don't think I would have never known without having Monte see it in-person and call it out, because I definitely don't feel that movement.

Monte said I have the general full swing movements of someone who shoots in the high 70s and low 80s, but that my short game is holding me back and the getting stuck on the right side (not re-centering) is what is holding me back. He said I should see a big drop in scores pretty quickly (i know i have to put in a lot of work). 

Updated 07/15/2022

57 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

The biggest takeaway from me was the short game. I can see why my attempt to use Monte's Use the Bounce in the past didn't work, because of the extreme amount of hip movement I have. I don't think I would have never known without having Monte see it in-person and call it out, because I definitely don't feel that movement.

Monte said I have the general full swing movements of someone who shoots in the high 70s and low 80s, but that my short game is holding me back and the getting stuck on the right side (not re-centering) is what is holding me back. He said I should see a big drop in scores pretty quickly (i know i have to put in a lot of work). 

Get To Work!!

When I came to my current course 6 years ago (has it been that long?), I had a terrible short game.  I had played at a course that had zero bunkers, so I had no technique for getting out.  Greens were extremely small and very slow and fairways were shaggy... yes, a goat track!  I played there for 10 years!!  Never practiced my short game.  I was really awful when I played at a "normal" course.  

My first year at my course I spent hours practicing at the pitching green, practice bunker, and putting green (we are allowed to chip on the putting green).  It really is amazing how much better I got in a short amount of time with focused practice.  While I am definitely a lot better, I found that if I don't dedicate at least some time each week maintaining that short game, I lose the feel needed to get the ball closer to the pin and make putts that I should be making most of the time... scores go up!

Now that you know what you need to change, Get To Work!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

If anyone is wondering what I am talking about when I am talking about the "recentering" move, this is it:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CW5-WnWpvPV/

Updated 07/15/2022

47 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

Keep up the good work @dlow206! It sounds like your lesson with Monte went extremely well. How was your short game today on the par 3 course?  I know its way too early to tell, just wondering if you put some of the advice you got to the test today. 

The short game was headed in the right direction: no bladed balls, no fat shots, no full swings to hit a short distance. With the improved mechanics, besides getting used to the mechanics, I am also getting used to the distance. I found that i left some pitch shots a little shorter than desired. Still made it on the green but left myself with longer putts than I would like. 

Updated 07/15/2022

3 hours ago, dlow206 said:

If anyone is wondering what I am talking about when I am talking about the "recentering" move, this is it:

Yep!  Monte is a good Follow on Instagram.  It's the only social media I use (except MGS), and I only use it to follow Monte.

Been working on the recentering movement without a club and thinking about what thought makes my body do what its supposed to do. Currently, its thinking about sitting on a chair (more like a stool, because its not down very much). I am probably providing a very bad explanation, but its something from Monte's Efficient Swing. In my lesson with Monte, he said that I will need to figure out what thought or feel will make my body do what we want it to do and gave me a couple of ideas.

I've also been working on understanding where this recentering move can go wrong. One is not getting into the right side to start the swing and go directly to the left, which is a reverse pivot. The second is doing the recentering move but doing it wrong and getting closer to the ball. The third is just not doing it right at all and staying on the right side too long. 

Updated 07/15/2022

I had a chance to delve into this thread during my holiday break. Applaud you for the work you’ve done. But I would avoid the look of the swing. And focus more on the ball flight results. Many of the instructors you posted on here are very “look” oriented. Versus ball flight results and score. Which I think is such BS. If this is what golf is going to. Than you can count me out . Wake up man 

Edited by Goober

On 12/23/2021 at 8:20 PM, Kenny B said:

Yep!  Monte is a good Follow on Instagram.  It's the only social media I use (except MGS), and I only use it to follow Monte.

It looks like this instructor is rehashing most of his info from stack and tilt. Their swinging in a circle ideas they had. Almost like his info is 12 years too late. And most of his stuff is just common sense info you can figure out on your own 

Edited by Goober

On 12/23/2021 at 5:38 PM, dlow206 said:

@dlow206 Thanks for the link.  I think this will be a great tip for me.  Almost exactly what I'm working on, it's good to have a visual and an explanation.  Good luck!

• 99422724_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.e67bdb8f7e6eea7baa71ca677594bbde.jpgEpic Max LS 11.5° (10.5°+1) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6 stiff
  • 99422724_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.e67bdb8f7e6eea7baa71ca677594bbde.jpgEpic Flash 3 Wood 17° (15°+2) w/ Project X Even Flow Green 60 stiff
  • 943183396_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.391f8ed5e36869c949eb3a241d2a750d.jpgSuper Hybrid 21° (20°+1) w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 80 stiff
  • 518011180_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.f52e8c7ce28e9a854c65b04b28450163.jpgRogue Hybrid 5 (24°) w/ Aldila Synergy 60 HYB Graphite stiff
  •   Screenshot 2021-12-24 002411.jpg2021 P790 Irons 5-AW (1° flat, weakened lofts) w/ Aerotech Steelfiber i95 cw regular
  • 467311891_Screenshot2021-12-24002654.jpg.3c87f11fa77f127a10ed922bdcbbcc69.jpgCBX2 Wedges 54°, 58° w/ True Temper DG 115 Wedge flex
  • 467311891_Screenshot2021-12-24002654.jpg.3c87f11fa77f127a10ed922bdcbbcc69.jpgOdyssey White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab, 33 in
  • 1360869533_Screenshot2021-12-24002835.jpg.38d6fb8915a5bd0b37b4bbec950f4c64.jpgPro V1
  • bushnell_launchpro_logos_medium.jpg.7df9dcd404a46928e3850d1e1335e4e3.jpgBushnell Launch Pro

1 hour ago, Goober said:

It looks like this instructor is rehashing most of his info from stack and tilt. Their swinging in a circle ideas they had. Almost like his info is 12 years too late. And most of his stuff is just common sense info you can figure out on your own 

The hottest take on the internet I’ve seen on a long time. Monte is one of if not the top instructors out there and one who has some extensive experience playing at the highest levels along with being a long drive champion. 

curious what part of Monte’s teaching is stack n tilt?

also stack n tilt is still a very effective method for playing golf. Not sure why you would think that is  too late. There’s a lot of ways to skin a cat

One of the best things about monte is his ability to easily explain concepts and drills to accomplish the feels and movements in the swing.

Based on the fact the majority of golfers don’t break 100 there’s a lot of stuff that people can’t figure out on their own.

1 hour ago, Goober said:

I had a chance to delve into this thread during my holiday break. Applaud you for the work you’ve done. But I would avoid the look of the swing. And focus more on the ball flight results. Many of the instructors you posted on here are very “look” oriented. Versus ball flight results and score. Which I think is such BS. If this is what golf is going to. Than you can count me out . Wake up man 

which instructors are look oriented? Monte for sure isn’t and neither is Jake. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

5 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The hottest take on the internet I’ve seen on a long time. Monte is one of if not the top instructors out there and one who has some extensive experience playing at the highest levels along with being a long drive champion. 

One of the best things about monte is his ability to easily explain concepts and drills to accomplish the feels and movements in the swing.

Based on the fact the majority of golfers don’t break 100 there’s a lot of stuff that people can’t figure out on their own.

which instructors are look oriented? Monte for sure isn’t and neither is Jake. 

Sounds like an endless rabbit hole to me. I’m more impressed by the outcome of a swing. Versus the minute tasks getting there. I’m just not sure how many can even function on a golf course with these many thoughts in their heads. 

Here is a question for you. Say you joined up with a scratch golfer that had the most unique swing you’ve ever noticed. And when you filmed his swing it would be exact opposite of what these “in the know” instructors are promoting. What would you tell him to do ? And would it possibly change your thinking? Knowing a less than ideal swing works. Because believe me, you can go to any local county, or state events and see the oddest swings shooting the lowest scores day after day 

31 minutes ago, Goober said:

Sounds like an endless rabbit hole to me. I’m more impressed by the outcome of a swing. Versus the minute tasks getting there. I’m just not sure how many can even function on a golf course with these many thoughts in their heads. 

Here is a question for you. Say you joined up with a scratch golfer that had the most unique swing you’ve ever noticed. And when you filmed his swing it would be exact opposite of what these “in the know” instructors are promoting. What would you tell him to do ? And would it possibly change your thinking? Knowing a less than ideal swing works. Because believe me, you can go to any local county, or state events and see the oddest swings shooting the lowest scores day after day 

I wouldn’t tell him anything because I don’t give advice to people I meet on the course. Every swing is unique and has each person has their own compensations for what they do in a swing. 

what Monte and every good coach does is teach the movements to make

the swing as efficient as possible. If you look at what the best golfers do they all have lots of similarities at impact. 

But curious if you will answer any of the questions I posed in my reply to you.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

1 minute ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I wouldn’t tell him anything because I don’t give advice to people I meet on the course. Every swing is unique and has each person has their own compensations for what they do in a swing. 

what Monte and every good coach does is teach the movements to make

the swing as efficient as possible. If you look at what the best golfers do they all have lots of similarities at impact. 

But curious if you will answer any of the questions I posed in my reply to you.

All these online instructors seem to be enthralled with stop motion positions. Even the jake and montel fellow. Again, I wasn’t taught that way. Or maybe I’m just out of the know. I just find it like an endless search for perfection. When golf isn’t that way. It’s a game of dealing with your misses and scoring your best with what you have. 

all the best in that pursuit. I’m so thankful I never went down your path. Don’t think I would have the persistence for that 

6 minutes ago, Goober said:

All these online instructors seem to be enthralled with stop motion positions. Even the jake and montel fellow. Again, I wasn’t taught that way. Or maybe I’m just out of the know. I just find it like an endless search for perfection. When golf isn’t that way. It’s a game of dealing with your misses and scoring your best with what you have. 

all the best in that pursuit. I’m so thankful I never went down your path. Don’t think I would have the persistence for that 

Monte and Jake are both far from online instructors. They just happen to have expanded their business to online like many instructors today. It expands their ability to grow their business and help golfers who don’t have access for them.

it’s apparent you haven’t dug into withers teachings because neither teach positions. They teach movements and how each aspect of the body is supposed to move. Neither teach the early 2000s swing.

You make claims about what they do or that one is 12 years too late yet he teaches golfers to move in similar patterns to what the best do. He teaches in manner to break down the swing from impact backwards which is usually opposite of what most instructors teach. While he may have some videos that focus on positions it’s to teach the body the motor patterns needed to get to impact in the proper position.

Monte is one of the few that actually teach more online with the old school swings than most instructors out there. 

Again there’s lots of ways to skin a cat and each person learns differently. 

4 hours ago, Goober said:

just because you weren't taught that way doesn't make it right or wrong since people learn differently and need different pieces of information.    I guess in your mind there are only two positions: setup and impact and the player is free to move the club in any manner between those to spots and if the ball doesn't do what you want then keep trying?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 12/26/2021 at 1:47 PM, RickyBobby_PR said:

Again there’s lots of ways to skin a cat and each person learns differently. 

I'm not speaking for anyone.    But what I think Goober was getting at is that you are absolutely right there are lots of ways to skin a cat, that is the gift, and the curse of the golf swing, all rolled into one. A person can spend a lifetime reading books, manuals, and watching videos, or taking lessons  about ways to skin a cat (or swing a golf club). But eventually you have to pick one, and stick the knife in so to speak.  You will eventually become proficient at skinning the cat your way.  There will always be room to improve your method(swing), but you must, to a great extent, first and foremost settle on a method or swing first.

Maybe an extreme example, but I once played with a guy who every really  bad swing(and there was normall only one or two a round), or ball that came up short , resulted in a perpetual, "narrated aloud"  slow motion, continuous, for the rest of the round, stage by stage, takeaway, transition, downswing, and follow through played out in agonizing  2 foot practice swing segments.  He just couldn't accept as I tried to tell him, that you "just hit that(or a couple of shots)  fat, because we dont practice hitting 300 balls a week, and equally as debilitating to his game was when the chosen club came up short he was convinced it was  because of a flaw in his swing , ( and again slow motion recreation to "figure it out), and not because  he needed to hit a 6 iron like I did.  He was convinced , or had been convinced by someone or something else, of "should" results. Oh and just for clarification all of his thoughts about how his swing had let him down didn't result in better play the rest of the round.  

This is one example of the "should be"  "rabbit hole" that I think Goober was referring to, and it is very real.

At a certain level of ability practicing "what is", is going to be more beneficial, than, searching for, or paying to find what "should be".  Make no mistake there will always be instructors willing to take your money to help you find, what you or the instuctor thinks should be.

I'm not saying that dlow is headed this way, and I cautioned him similarly earlier in this thread, but looking for what things "should" be is dangerous in this game.

Edited by stuka44
spelling

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

19 minutes ago, stuka44 said:

This is the  "should be"  "rabbit hole" that I think Goober was referring to, and it is very real.

I agree with what you said in your post.   However;  reading Goober's posts he things everyone is trying to make their swing look pretty because instructors talk about positions.  He mentioned a few instructors that have successfully helped people on this forum hit the ball straighter, farther, and lowered their scores which as he has stated the only measurement of instruction.    The rabbit hole is the player that keeps trying every available tip to try and improve their game.  Youtube is criticized because it is full of tips that don't work or have poor instructors.  The tips work and the instructors are good,  but as I said people go down the rabbit hole trying everything to fix their swing even tips that don't apply.  

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, stuka44 said:

I'm not speaking for anyone.    But what I think Goober was getting at is that you are absolutely right there are lots of ways to skin a cat, that is the gift, and the curse of the golf swing, all rolled into one. A person can spend a lifetime reading books, manuals, and watching videos, or taking lessons  about ways to skin a cat (or swing a golf club). But eventually you have to pick one, and stick the knife in so to speak.  You will eventually become proficient at skinning the cat your way.  There will always be room to improve your method(swing), but you must, to a great extent, first and foremost settle on a method or swing first.

Maybe an extreme example, but I once played with a guy who every really  bad swing(and there was normall only one or two a round), or ball that came up short , resulted in a perpetual, "narrated aloud"  slow motion, continuous, for the rest of the round, stage by stage, takeaway, transition, downswing, and follow through played out in agonizing  2 foot practice swing segments.  He just couldn't accept as I tried to tell him, that you "just hit that(or a couple of shots)  fat, because we dont practice hitting 300 balls a week, and equally as debilitating to his game was when the chosen club came up short he was convinced it was  because of a flaw in his swing , ( and again slow motion recreation to "figure it out), and not because  he needed to hit a 6 iron like I did.  He was convinced , or had been convinced by someone or something else, of "should" results. Oh and just for clarification all of his thoughts about how his swing had let him down didn't result in better play the rest of the round.  

This is one example of the "should be"  "rabbit hole" that I think Goober was referring to, and it is very real.

At a certain level of ability practicing "what is", is going to be more beneficial, than, searching for, or paying to find what "should be".  Make no mistake there will always be instructors willing to take your money to help you find, what you or the instuctor thinks should be.

I'm not saying that dlow is headed this way, and I cautioned him similarly earlier in this thread, but looking for what things "should" be is dangerous in this game.

He pointed the instructors that dlow has used were focused on look, that they were teaching outdated methods and that Monte was a stack and tilt guy.

None of what he pointed out was true and when asked for examples of why he thought that he could loot them out. He also called them online instructors which yes they offer that service but they are far from just some random online pro and that Monte is a well accomplished golfer and teacher.

So yeah probably best not to speak for anyone.

And to your point about having to pick one at some point, dlow has admitted that he’s been all over the place with bouncing between instructors and swing thoughts and is back to working with Monte and planning to stick with it, so the defense of what he was saying has already been hashed out by dlow

On 12/24/2021 at 7:17 PM, dlow206 said:

I've also been working on understanding where this recentering move can go wrong. One is not getting into the right side to start the swing and go directly to the left, which is a reverse pivot. The second is doing the recentering move but doing it wrong and getting closer to the ball. The third is just not doing it right at all and staying on the right side too long.

dlow after some hope and comments I left you at around page 24, I have revisited your post, and commented just prior, but having reviewed most of this entire thread again, I feel I must be honest with you, and I expect most will crush me for saying this. 

You are rapidly approaching the point of being unable to believe there can be any real improvement in your game without improvement in your swing, and that you must do one, in order to achieve the other. This is just not true.  Many times people have indicated that your swing looks good, but you persisted in very shortly afterwards  mentioning swing plane, and other technical things, that you changed to make your swing "better".  I have watched  all of your swing video's, and in all the ball gets off the ground and would be going towards the green. Your swing looks every bit as good, if not better than mine would on video, many people have said the same thing.  

You must at some point "own" the swing you have and not provide yourself with the built in excuse, for not improving of, I'm still trying to "find my swing".  You can't repaint or customize a rental car, if you do you will be in trouble. The golf swing is no different  you have to first and foremost take ownership of one, before you can customize it, improve it, and paint flames on it.   

And from what I have read you have done more than enough research, and lessons to have been able to pick a swing and go with it, and claim.  I'm fearful that all of the swing thoughts and terms, you reference, and the seeking  of information about the "golf swing", and how to make it better, and what it "should be", and look like,  has unknowingly, and insidiously  become a crutch, and has eroded your ability to take the responsibility  on yourself. To make it no longer about needing to learn this move or that move, or takeaway thought, or "recentering move"(I have no idea what that means), before you can improve.  And be willing to blame dlow206, because he doesn't practice his swing, and his technique enough, or has poor course strategy, or makes poor club selections.  None of these things require a "swing adjustment" or a lesson to improve.

You need to get out of your own head to a great extent, and it is absolutely necessary to get all those other people out of your head,  for a good long while until the information overload has subsided.

This is just my opinion, and as  always I truly wish you the best of luck!!

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

4 hours ago, stuka44 said:

I have watched  all of your swing video's, and in all the ball gets off the ground and would be going towards the green.

I get your point,  but let me ask a question.  Dlow posts a single swing that shows a ball hitting a net.   How do you know where that ball goes?  If some of the balls slice way right, some hook way left, and some go relatively straight,  should he look to instruction to fix his swing or should he just own what he has and accept the fact that the ball gets off the ground and goes towards the green?  

I think Derrick has also acknowledged that he has switched instructors and swing types and needs to lock in on a single approach.  The reason for the changes was largely to find an instructor that he communicated well with and find a swing type that he could own.  

I'll reference myself as an example.   My scoring range this year has been 75-98; my swing looks good to the average eye; I strike the ball off the toe and can hit the ball fat, straight, or with a large hook.   when I practice I tend to hit the ball off the heel.  I was on a GC quad and my strikes were off the heel.  I even got to the point that my entire club was completely inside the ball and I was still striking it off the heel.   Should I pursue instruction and why am I different than dlow?

Note:  not "crushing you",  just trying to understand when you things changes and instruction are appropriate.