Dlow206's Quest to Break into the 80s

1 hour ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Dam that was fast. The pony express is still running in my area of Tennessee.  So do tell!  Will this help you grip inconsistencies?

I think it will definitely help. haven't had a chance to put it on a club, but walked around the house with it and it seems good.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 4/27/2021
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Graphite Design AD-XC 6S
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:srixon-small: ZX5 5 - PW - Accra 95 icwt S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Two Ball Ten S Tour Lines - 31"

On 12/20/2019 at 8:24 PM, dlow206 said:

Yesterday, while on vacation, I had a lesson with Monte Scheinblum, who I learned about from Golfwrx and have been following regularly. Although I have been taking lessons at Golftec regularly since August, yesterday's lesson was what made me realize what the true root cause of my swing problems are. Here is a video of before and after swings taking during a single one hour lesson

I'm only gonna make one comment on your swing, a problem I've had in the past, which my instructor explained is the cause for a lot of bad swings, and errant direction. 

With the video at .25 speed. place your pointer on your hands at address, and keep it there while watching the backswing. You'll see your hand action causes the club head to move at least a foot away from the ball before the grip has moved away. Now, you're playing catch up with the rest of your body, and it's hard for the average golfer to do. if you drew a line from your shoulder, down your arm, along the shaft to the ball, EVERYTHING should move at the same time. In the 'after' (right) version of the video, it appears the club head moves even farther than in the before swing. As someone who's been there, fixing that will make a huge difference in your results. Good luck on your journey.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JalanK said:

I'm only gonna make one comment on your swing, a problem I've had in the past, which my instructor explained is the cause for a lot of bad swings, and errant direction. 

With the video at .25 speed. place your pointer on your hands at address, and keep it there while watching the backswing. You'll see your hand action causes the club head to move at least a foot away from the ball before the grip has moved away. Now, you're playing catch up with the rest of your body, and it's hard for the average golfer to do. if you drew a line from your shoulder, down your arm, along the shaft to the ball, EVERYTHING should move at the same time. In the 'after' (right) version of the video, it appears the club head moves even farther than in the before swing. As someone who's been there, fixing that will make a huge difference in your results. Good luck on your journey.

Thanks, that is what my online instructor who i just started working with identified. Besides cleaning up some things with my setup, all he wants me to work on for now is how my hands/arms move in the backswing. 

Edit: I now see what you are saying about the hand action moving the club with very little arm movement. I never noticed that nuance. I just knew my takeaway was off. 

Updated 4/27/2021

Thanks, that is what my online instructor who i just started working with identified. Besides cleaning up some things with my setup, all he wants me to work on for now is how my hands/arms move in the backswing. 
Edit: I now see what you are saying about the hand action moving the club with very little arm movement. I never noticed that nuance. I just knew my takeaway was off. 

I have worked on this for a couple years. It can creep back int my swing. It’s a real swing killer. Good luck with your progress.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

3 minutes ago, JalanK said:

I have worked on this for a couple years. It can creep back int my swing. It’s a real swing killer. Good luck with your progress.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What did you do to fix it?

• Like 1

Updated 4/27/2021

On 11/16/2020 at 3:58 PM, Chip Strokes said:

the power of Amazon when you live in Seattle. i remember 1 hour delivery when i lived there. you could get a package faster than you could get takeout 

I live 3.5 hours from Seattle, and it takes a minimum of 3 days to get something from Amazon, and it usually comes from Beaverton, OR  (also 3.5 hours).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I just ordered something in stock and it won't be delivered for 5 days.  The ponies must be tired.

• Haha 1

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

51 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I live 3.5 hours from Seattle, and it takes a minimum of 3 days to get something from Amazon, and it usually comes from Beaverton, OR  (also 3.5 hours).

33 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I just ordered something in stock and it won't be delivered for 5 days.  The ponies must be tired.

I guess i must have some advantage being in the Seattle suburbs

• Like 1

Updated 4/27/2021

@Tom the Golf Nut - i will say that the grip trainer you recommended made me notice a few things with my grip. They are things that even instructors might not noticed unless they look only at my left hand gripping the club close up. Feel like everyone who is a beginner or high handicapper should buy one of these.

• Like 1

Updated 4/27/2021

30 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

@Tom the Golf Nut - i will say that the grip trainer you recommended made me notice a few things with my grip. They are things that even instructors might not noticed unless they look only at my left hand gripping the club close up. Feel like everyone who is a beginner or high handicapper should buy one of these.

Glad this is working for you. After a while gripping the club will just be natural. But you can always snap it back on to check yourself periodically.

• Like 1

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

20 hours ago, dlow206 said:

What did you do to fix it?

I started with dragging the grip back before allowing the head to move, just to get the feeling of not snatching the club head back. Then, I worked on starting the backswing with my left hand and keeping the right hand passive, not applying any force with the right hand. I just allowed the right hand to stabilize the club on the backswing. Eventually I got to a point where both hands were working together. It takes time and practice. Just practice the first 2 feet of the backswing until you can keep your right hand from taking control and pulling on the grip. it helps that I now wait until I'm at the top of the backswing before setting my wrists.

• Like 1

Couple of swings from today that i just submitted to my online instructor. I think it looks slightly better than the prior swings but lots of work left

• Like 3

Updated 4/27/2021

I had similar issues with my backswing. Took an entire offseason (last year) to change it. Stay with it! You'll be in the 80s in no time.

• Like 1

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 8.3 / Anti-Cap: 14.4 (Last Updated Sept. 12, 2021)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Epic Max LS (9°), 45.75", Dumina AutoFlex SF505X | Unofficial AutoFlex Review
17° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Super Hybrid, 41.5", Mitsubishi MMT Hybrid 80 TX
18.5° Driving Iron: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2016 Model), 39.5", Mitsubishi MMT Utility 105 TX
21° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Epic Flash, 40", Mitsubishi MMT Hybrid 80 TX
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", UST Mamiya Recoil 110 F5
5-AW:  
Sub70_Logo_WhtBlk.jpg.aee386374adf9afd31a02b989c839f9d.jpg Sub70 699 (5-6)/699 Pro (7-AW) Combo Set, 1° Flat, 37" 7 Iron, Mitsubishi MMT Taper 105 TX | Build Thread
54°, 58°:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING MIM Black, 1° Flat, 35.5", 35.25", Mitsubishi MMT Wedge 105 TX | #CobraConnect Review
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
lamkin.png.5081890e009ae78e16066ee0fd18b7c0.png Lamkin Sonar Tour
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: :Arccos: Arccos | #CobraConnect Review
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: :CaddyTek: CaddyTek Caddylite EZ V8 | Unofficial Review

WITB? | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

Few things that I am currently working on (prescribed by my instructor):

• Make sure proper posture and setup
  • Really focus on grip, especially not letting the left hand get too strong, and make sure to have a long left thumb. According to my instructor, the long left thumb helps to keep the wrists from cupping at the top of the swing
  • Make parallel to parallel swings (i think its called the L to L drill or 9 to 3 drill). He said this will help me better learn and understand how the right arm should work in my swing

That is all i am focused on for my long game. For putting, i haven't had a lesson recently, but did discover on my own a setup issue that cause me to pull putts. Fixed that up. Will take another putting lesson (different instructor who is a putting coach) in the near future, but don't want to work on too many things at once. 

I am really happy overall that my instructor Alex is starting with fundamentals. Having an improper setup just makes it that much harder to swing well. And I always knew something was off with my grip, but in-person instructors that I have worked with it either said it was fine or just weaken it a bit. But I have learned there is more than just weak vs. strong, there is where the grip sits in your hand (fingers vs. palm), there is how your left thumb sits on the grip, etc. No other instructor has gone through grip to this level of detail, even when i have asked a lot of grip questions in the past.

• Like 1

Updated 4/27/2021

Had an epiphany today. Its actually something that has proven itself multiple times, so its not new. I swing much better when i feel like i have a "fast" tempo. I recorded it on video and watched it and what in my mind is "fast" turns out to be a smooth, relatively properly sequenced swing. When I start working on swing changes, this time as prescribed by my instructor, my tempo gets real slow and i hit the ball poorly because my swing gets out of wack.

What I learned though, is even when i practice a drill at let's say 50% speed, that doesn't mean my tempo needs to get slower. I did a parallel to parallel drill, didn't swing particularly hard because it is a drill, but main swing thought was not let the tempo get to slow. 

• Like 2

Updated 4/27/2021

I am sitting at my computer with my thumbs up and can fully cup my wrist, same if I tuck my thumbs into my palms and ball them up in a fist or I lay my thumb across the side of my index finger if I make a fist. I don't see how that thumb position restricts wrist cup. 

Maybe my grip is a mess... Maybe you are on to something! 

:cobra-small: F9 Driver 9*

:cobra-small: Baffler 2H/4H

:ping-small: G700 4i, G410 6-UW, Glide 2.0 54, 60*

:EVNROLL: ER2.2

4 minutes ago, BMart519 said:

I am sitting at my computer with my thumbs up and can fully cup my wrist, same if I tuck my thumbs into my palms and ball them up in a fist or I lay my thumb across the side of my index finger if I make a fist. I don't see how that thumb position restricts wrist cup. 

Maybe my grip is a mess... Maybe you are on to something! 

If you hold your hand up with your thumb up, lets saying using your left hand and then extend your left thumb up and feel a little stretch and then try to cup your wrist. Yes, it will still cup some, but less than if you relax your thumb and put it down. 

Updated 4/27/2021

10 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

If you hold your hand up with your thumb up, lets saying using your left hand and then extend your left thumb up and feel a little stretch and then try to cup your wrist. Yes, it will still cup some, but less than if you relax your thumb and put it down. 

OK, I tried this and agree because I had to carefully stare at my hand and forearm. However, I can cup my wrist to about 80 degrees with thumb up and relaxing my thumb it will cup a tiny amount further to about 85 degrees. A few considerations: 

- on the golf club you aren't pulling the thumb towards your forearm you are pushing it toward the end of the shaft, so the hand and wrist muscles are behaving differently

- this thumb position only seems to affect the end range or maximum flex of the wrist, you could still have a massive cup so this isn't going to magically close the clubface. 

1 minute ago, BMart519 said:

OK, I tried this and agree because I had to carefully stare at my hand and forearm. However, I can cup my wrist to about 80 degrees with thumb up and relaxing my thumb it will cup a tiny amount further to about 85 degrees. A few considerations: 

- on the golf club you aren't pulling the thumb towards your forearm you are pushing it toward the end of the shaft, so the hand and wrist muscles are behaving differently

- this thumb position only seems to affect the end range or maximum flex of the wrist, you could still have a massive cup so this isn't going to magically close the clubface. 

I see. my instructor specifically called out that i should have a long left thumb down the shaft and that i am more likely to cup with a short thumb.

Updated 4/27/2021

12 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

I see. my instructor specifically called out that i should have a long left thumb down the shaft and that i am more likely to cup with a short thumb.

I find that short thumb vs long thumb has the biggest impact on how my hands fit together to form the grip or how much my right hand can cover my left hand. This might reduce wrist cupping if the angles that each wrist works at are more opposed to each other which is possible. Could be a good follow up question. 

• Like 1