Jump to content

Dlow206's Quest to Break into the 80s


Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Continuing to work hard, always a work in-progress. Posting a swing from today. 

 

Nice!!  You HAVE been working hard.  Good swing.

  • Like 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, dlow206 said:

Continuing to work hard, always a work in-progress. Posting a swing from today. 

 

I'm not a swing coach, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I can see major improvements in your swing. Your eyes weren't following the club, your head rotation looks better, and your shallowing the club is a thing of beauty. I admire all the hard work you're putting in, it's an inspiration to me to get better. Keep it up!

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Nice!!  You HAVE been working hard.  Good swing.

 

37 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

I'm not a swing coach, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I can see major improvements in your swing. Your eyes weren't following the club, your head rotation looks better, and your shallowing the club is a thing of beauty. I admire all the hard work you're putting in, it's an inspiration to me to get better. Keep it up!

Thanks guys for the kind words and for following along. Still a lot of work to do.

  • Like 4

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 11/13/2021
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:titelist-small: TSi2 3 wood, 5 wood - Aldila Ascent 60 S
Irons:titelist-small: T300 5 to SW - LAGP AXS Red 85 Stiff double soft stepped
Wedges:Miura: K-grind 2.0 58 wedge - Xcaliber RT Spin Wedge 100
Putter:  SIK DW Armlock - LAGP 180 armlock shaft

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@dlow206 : dude there is a MAJOR improvement in your swing from page 1 of this thread to now. Just got caught up on this, but I’ll be following along for sure! On a side note, are you still using the plane mate?


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

  • Like 2

 

24CC2B3B-0E46-4165-97D1-F1CA4C5041C8.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Micah T said:

@dlow206 : dude there is a MAJOR improvement in your swing from page 1 of this thread to now. Just got caught up on this, but I’ll be following along for sure! On a side note, are you still using the plane mate?


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
 

Thank you for following along. I really never ended up using the planemate for more than a couple of days. 

  • Like 2

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 11/13/2021
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:titelist-small: TSi2 3 wood, 5 wood - Aldila Ascent 60 S
Irons:titelist-small: T300 5 to SW - LAGP AXS Red 85 Stiff double soft stepped
Wedges:Miura: K-grind 2.0 58 wedge - Xcaliber RT Spin Wedge 100
Putter:  SIK DW Armlock - LAGP 180 armlock shaft

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One thing I have been pondering and playing around with is whether i truly fit best into a face balanced putter or not. Yes, I did a putter fitting a year ago, but my stroke has changed and improved since then (have had a few lessons with a putting specialist/coach). I feel like with a face balanced putter, i actually manipulate the face too much to be too straight back straight through. My putting coach had mentioned that my stroke was actually too straight back because I would actually take the putter back a bit to the outside to keep it square. He wants me to have the putter to have a bit of arc going back. I've found that with a putter with slight toe hang, i naturally have a bit more arc going back and then i am less likely to over close and pull the putt. 

So my conclusion is I may fit better into a putter with slight toe hang. 

  • Like 3

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 11/13/2021
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:titelist-small: TSi2 3 wood, 5 wood - Aldila Ascent 60 S
Irons:titelist-small: T300 5 to SW - LAGP AXS Red 85 Stiff double soft stepped
Wedges:Miura: K-grind 2.0 58 wedge - Xcaliber RT Spin Wedge 100
Putter:  SIK DW Armlock - LAGP 180 armlock shaft

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

One thing I have been pondering and playing around with is whether i truly fit best into a face balanced putter or not. Yes, I did a putter fitting a year ago, but my stroke has changed and improved since then (have had a few lessons with a putting specialist/coach). I feel like with a face balanced putter, i actually manipulate the face too much to be too straight back straight through. My putting coach had mentioned that my stroke was actually too straight back because I would actually take the putter back a bit to the outside to keep it square. He wants me to have the putter to have a bit of arc going back. I've found that with a putter with slight toe hang, i naturally have a bit more arc going back and then i am less likely to over close and pull the putt. 

So my conclusion is I may fit better into a putter with slight toe hang. 

Well that ER2B you just scored would be perfect then.

I got fit for my Scotty about 8 years ago, first club I ever got fitted for actually.  Then 3 years later I switched to left-hand low...fitting probably went out the window with the switch.  Took 3 years after switching before I got something else though.  (ER2B)

  • Like 3

Driver:  :honma:TR20 460, Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW:  :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 65g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, Mitsubishi MMT 80g Stiff

                :taylormade-small: SIM DHY 4H, Diamana Limited Hybrid 75g Stiff

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 5-GW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM8 54 S Grind, 60 M Grind

Putter: :EVNROLL:ER7B 

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Tested the Honma TR20 460 driver

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Getoffmylawn said:

Well that ER2B you just scored would be perfect then.

I got fit for my Scotty about 8 years ago, first club I ever got fitted for actually.  Then 3 years later I switched to left-hand low...fitting probably went out the window with the switch.  Took 3 years after switching before I got something else though.  (ER2B)

Yeah, the ER2 is what helped me realize that a putter with slight toe hang is a better fit. Having used a face balanced putter for a while (not counting the time the DF 2.1 was in the bag because that is a different beast), I found that when i miss, it was a slight pull. So I had hypothesized that a putter with slight toe hang would help. After receiving the ER2, been putting indoors with it and have much less of the slight pull with it.

  • Like 5

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 11/13/2021
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:titelist-small: TSi2 3 wood, 5 wood - Aldila Ascent 60 S
Irons:titelist-small: T300 5 to SW - LAGP AXS Red 85 Stiff double soft stepped
Wedges:Miura: K-grind 2.0 58 wedge - Xcaliber RT Spin Wedge 100
Putter:  SIK DW Armlock - LAGP 180 armlock shaft

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dlow206 said:

One thing I have been pondering and playing around with is whether i truly fit best into a face balanced putter or not. Yes, I did a putter fitting a year ago, but my stroke has changed and improved since then (have had a few lessons with a putting specialist/coach). I feel like with a face balanced putter, i actually manipulate the face too much to be too straight back straight through. My putting coach had mentioned that my stroke was actually too straight back because I would actually take the putter back a bit to the outside to keep it square. He wants me to have the putter to have a bit of arc going back. I've found that with a putter with slight toe hang, i naturally have a bit more arc going back and then i am less likely to over close and pull the putt. 

So my conclusion is I may fit better into a putter with slight toe hang. 

This is similar to what I found this winter and switched from FB to an ER2.2. The toe-hang helps better match my face to path as measured on Trackman. My path was 2-4 degrees right with a closed face, I now push the ball more often than pull because the toe-hang didn't fix my path just the release of the face. 

My instructor had me make strokes over top of a Visio Mi putting template to groove the feel of a proper arc and less push out across the target line on the follow through. I used the parameters from my CAPTO putter lesson with the Visio measurements to find which arc radius is best suited to my stroke and picked up one of the Mi templates to help groove stoke. 

The templates can be used to hit putts off and you can put tees through the holes to make gates for the putter head and balls. Excellent piece of kit I would recommend. There is still likely some technique things to address or focus on if you are pushing the putter out past the line. This usually relates to the elbow coming away from the body. The thought/feel from my lesson was to keep the left elbow tucked closer to the body since I went outside on follow through. Could be a similar issue with your right elbow on the backswing. 

  • Like 6

:cobra-small: F9 Driver 9*

:cobra-small: Baffler 2H/4H and sometimes 5H

:ping-small: G700 4i, G410 6-UW, Glide 2.0 54, 60*

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Same thing for me. Had a STBT swing and had settled on face balanced mallets, but I felt like my miss was taking the club outside and then pulling putts left. But I couldnt swing that FB mallet on a arc to save my life. Then I switched to a putter with slight toe hang to encourage it, and everything started clicking. So much more consistent start lines. Also settled on an Evnroll product with the ER3. 

  • Like 3

Titleist Blind Tester

  • Driver: :ping-small: K15
  • Woods::cobra-small: F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: :callaway-small: Apex 20 AD DI 85s
  • Irons: :srixon-small: Z585 5-6, Z785 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX4 50, Modus 120x:taylormade-small:, Hi Toe 56 & 60, Modus 120x
  • Putter: :EVNROLL:  ER3 @ 33"
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, BMart519 said:

This is similar to what I found this winter and switched from FB to an ER2.2. The toe-hang helps better match my face to path as measured on Trackman. My path was 2-4 degrees right with a closed face, I now push the ball more often than pull because the toe-hang didn't fix my path just the release of the face. 

My instructor had me make strokes over top of a Visio Mi putting template to groove the feel of a proper arc and less push out across the target line on the follow through. I used the parameters from my CAPTO putter lesson with the Visio measurements to find which arc radius is best suited to my stroke and picked up one of the Mi templates to help groove stoke. 

The templates can be used to hit putts off and you can put tees through the holes to make gates for the putter head and balls. Excellent piece of kit I would recommend. There is still likely some technique things to address or focus on if you are pushing the putter out past the line. This usually relates to the elbow coming away from the body. The thought/feel from my lesson was to keep the left elbow tucked closer to the body since I went outside on follow through. Could be a similar issue with your right elbow on the backswing. 

 

2 hours ago, scooterhd2 said:

Same thing for me. Had a STBT swing and had settled on face balanced mallets, but I felt like my miss was taking the club outside and then pulling putts left. But I couldnt swing that FB mallet on a arc to save my life. Then I switched to a putter with slight toe hang to encourage it, and everything started clicking. So much more consistent start lines. Also settled on an Evnroll product with the ER3. 

Good to hear that others have had similar experiences.

  • Like 3

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 11/13/2021
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:titelist-small: TSi2 3 wood, 5 wood - Aldila Ascent 60 S
Irons:titelist-small: T300 5 to SW - LAGP AXS Red 85 Stiff double soft stepped
Wedges:Miura: K-grind 2.0 58 wedge - Xcaliber RT Spin Wedge 100
Putter:  SIK DW Armlock - LAGP 180 armlock shaft

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dlow206 said:

 

Good to hear that others have had similar experiences.

These are the issues of a putter that doesn't fit your stroke.   Things like offset, weight, where the shaft intersects the shaft (toe hang), CoG location, and other design elements influence how the putter moves along the path.   You have to find the right combination for your stroke.   Looking at startline is generally the best way to see what works.  Don't just look at toe hang;  a 340 gram putter with 30* toe hang will perform differently than a 370 gram putter with 30* toe hang. 

  • Like 5

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787

 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, cnosil said:

These are the issues of a putter that doesn't fit your stroke.   Things like offset, weight, where the shaft intersects the shaft (toe hang), CoG location, and other design elements influence how the putter moves along the path.   You have to find the right combination for your stroke.   Looking at startline is generally the best way to see what works.  Don't just look at toe hang;  a 340 gram putter with 30* toe hang will perform differently than a 370 gram putter with 30* toe hang. 

Makes sense. When I had a putter fitting, I was recommended what worked best during that hour of the fitting. But I was likely manipulating my stroke and making that putter work well during the session. Longer term, that putter didn't work out for me.

  • Like 5

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 11/13/2021
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:titelist-small: TSi2 3 wood, 5 wood - Aldila Ascent 60 S
Irons:titelist-small: T300 5 to SW - LAGP AXS Red 85 Stiff double soft stepped
Wedges:Miura: K-grind 2.0 58 wedge - Xcaliber RT Spin Wedge 100
Putter:  SIK DW Armlock - LAGP 180 armlock shaft

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Didn't keep score today, but felt that I played my best, most complete round. 

  • Driver - Was hitting good drives, got my distance back, accuracy was good. No OB balls today, actually played the entire round with one ball
  • Irons - Put my new Srixon ZX5s into play. Yes, I self-fit myself which is usually not recommended, but I think it is working out well. I put Nippon 120 S in them, which are about 20 grams heavier than my prior shafts. Ball actually launched higher (better trajectory) and with more spin that with my Mavrik Max irons. Also, less fat shots, think the V Sole helped. 
  • Short Game - I learned the "putt chip" technique and that was a game changer. Actually never tried it, never practiced it, but put it into play today. When there was fairway/green to work with, this technique worked well. Also, I am feeling more confident with wedge shots between 30 to 70 yards. I did recently make a shaft change and also increased the swingweight to D5 in my sand and lob wedge. Think my tempo is better with that weight
  • Putting - Putting has improved after switching out from the LAB DF 2.1. Using my Cleveland or my Evnroll, my lag putting is much better
  • Like 6

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 11/13/2021
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:titelist-small: TSi2 3 wood, 5 wood - Aldila Ascent 60 S
Irons:titelist-small: T300 5 to SW - LAGP AXS Red 85 Stiff double soft stepped
Wedges:Miura: K-grind 2.0 58 wedge - Xcaliber RT Spin Wedge 100
Putter:  SIK DW Armlock - LAGP 180 armlock shaft

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dlow206 said:

Didn't keep score today, but felt that I played my best, most complete round. 

  • Driver - Was hitting good drives, got my distance back, accuracy was good. No OB balls today, actually played the entire round with one ball
  • Irons - Put my new Srixon ZX5s into play. Yes, I self-fit myself which is usually not recommended, but I think it is working out well. I put Nippon 120 S in them, which are about 20 grams heavier than my prior shafts. Ball actually launched higher (better trajectory) and with more spin that with my Mavrik Max irons. Also, less fat shots, think the V Sole helped. 
  • Short Game - I learned the "putt chip" technique and that was a game changer. Actually never tried it, never practiced it, but put it into play today. When there was fairway/green to work with, this technique worked well. Also, I am feeling more confident with wedge shots between 30 to 70 yards. I did recently make a shaft change and also increased the swingweight to D5 in my sand and lob wedge. Think my tempo is better with that weight
  • Putting - Putting has improved after switching out from the LAB DF 2.1. Using my Cleveland or my Evnroll, my lag putting is much better

Glad and mad to hear about the zx5. Since I can’t spend more on new irons after I just got fit I always hope to win a set. Glad your game is coming around. It feels great when things click! Keep it up

  • Like 2

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS with RDX Blue 70g S 

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff 

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff 

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: TAII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter 

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X and :OnCore: vero X1 (may dabble in :titelist-small: proV1 at some point)

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, dlow206 said:

Didn't keep score today, but felt that I played my best, most complete round. 

  • Driver - Was hitting good drives, got my distance back, accuracy was good. No OB balls today, actually played the entire round with one ball
  • Irons - Put my new Srixon ZX5s into play. Yes, I self-fit myself which is usually not recommended, but I think it is working out well. I put Nippon 120 S in them, which are about 20 grams heavier than my prior shafts. Ball actually launched higher (better trajectory) and with more spin that with my Mavrik Max irons. Also, less fat shots, think the V Sole helped. 
  • Short Game - I learned the "putt chip" technique and that was a game changer. Actually never tried it, never practiced it, but put it into play today. When there was fairway/green to work with, this technique worked well. Also, I am feeling more confident with wedge shots between 30 to 70 yards. I did recently make a shaft change and also increased the swingweight to D5 in my sand and lob wedge. Think my tempo is better with that weight
  • Putting - Putting has improved after switching out from the LAB DF 2.1. Using my Cleveland or my Evnroll, my lag putting is much better

Great to hear that the game is coming around and that the Cleveland putter is working. Obviously been indoors here in NH, but from indoor practice I am really enjoying mine and feeling much more stable.

  • Like 2

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g 6.5 (2021 Official Review) | :taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff 

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° :Fuji: Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff | :titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff

:mizuno-small: 5 - PW JPX 919 HM Pro :Fuji:  Pro Tour Spec 115i Stiff | :Hogan: Equalizer 52° / 56° KBS Tour V 110 Stiff

:cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0 | :ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Left Dash Pro V1x| Right Handed

Tracked by :ShotScope:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, rbsiedsc said:

Glad and mad to hear about the zx5. Since I can’t spend more on new irons after I just got fit I always hope to win a set. Glad your game is coming around. It feels great when things click! Keep it up

Thanks man

3 minutes ago, ejgaudette said:

Great to hear that the game is coming around and that the Cleveland putter is working. Obviously been indoors here in NH, but from indoor practice I am really enjoying mine and feeling much more stable.

The Cleveland putter is a good putter, but found that the Evnroll that I picked up works even better for me because it has a small amount of toe hang. Reduces my tendency to pull putts. 

  • Like 2

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 11/13/2021
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:titelist-small: TSi2 3 wood, 5 wood - Aldila Ascent 60 S
Irons:titelist-small: T300 5 to SW - LAGP AXS Red 85 Stiff double soft stepped
Wedges:Miura: K-grind 2.0 58 wedge - Xcaliber RT Spin Wedge 100
Putter:  SIK DW Armlock - LAGP 180 armlock shaft

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Thanks man

The Cleveland putter is a good putter, but found that the Evnroll that I picked up works even better for me because it has a small amount of toe hang. Reduces my tendency to pull putts. 

Good find then for sure. I tend to pu so it's so have found more forward ball position with the sitting for hang on the slant neck helping. 

  • Like 2

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g 6.5 (2021 Official Review) | :taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff 

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° :Fuji: Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff | :titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff

:mizuno-small: 5 - PW JPX 919 HM Pro :Fuji:  Pro Tour Spec 115i Stiff | :Hogan: Equalizer 52° / 56° KBS Tour V 110 Stiff

:cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0 | :ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Left Dash Pro V1x| Right Handed

Tracked by :ShotScope:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Micah T said:

@dlow206
good to see the progress continue:
the Srixon irons have me intrigued!emoji848.png


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy


 

Thanks man.

The Srixons are definitely great irons. Recommend anyone who is looking at new irons at least give them a try during a fitting.

  • Like 1

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 11/13/2021
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:titelist-small: TSi2 3 wood, 5 wood - Aldila Ascent 60 S
Irons:titelist-small: T300 5 to SW - LAGP AXS Red 85 Stiff double soft stepped
Wedges:Miura: K-grind 2.0 58 wedge - Xcaliber RT Spin Wedge 100
Putter:  SIK DW Armlock - LAGP 180 armlock shaft

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...