Dlow206's Quest to Break into the 80s

Injured right now, so anything full swing right now is no go. Actually can't really make a golf swing motion right now without a club, so just been doing some indoor putting practice.

Recently, out on the course, I have been focusing on developing more reliable, consistent short game shots. 

• Putt-chip: whenever i have a clear path for the ball to roll, i have been using what I call the putt-chip technique. Using putting technique with a slightly faster tempo to chip the ball and get the ball rolling quickly. Have used everything from 5 iron to GW for this, and it works well
  • Low pitch/punch: I didn't really have a strategy previously for when I need to hit a low partial shot. I have started to work on having more strategy and better technique for being able to hit a low pitch/bunch/bump and run (whatever you want to call it). For example, I was about 50 yards out, if I hit a standard partial wedge shot, i would likely hit some tree branches, so instead i pulled out a 5 iron and hit a punch that landed in the fairway and ran to the green
  • Like 3
  • Sad 3

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 4/27/2021
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Graphite Design AD-XC 6S
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:srixon-small: ZX5 5 - PW - Accra 95 icwt S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Two Ball Ten S Tour Lines - 31"

53 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Injured right now, so anything full swing right now is no go. Actually can't really make a golf swing motion right now without a club, so just been doing some indoor putting practice.

Recently, out on the course, I have been focusing on developing more reliable, consistent short game shots. 

• Putt-chip: whenever i have a clear path for the ball to roll, i have been using what I call the putt-chip technique. Using putting technique with a slightly faster tempo to chip the ball and get the ball rolling quickly. Have used everything from 5 iron to GW for this, and it works well
  • Low pitch/punch: I didn't really have a strategy previously for when I need to hit a low partial shot. I have started to work on having more strategy and better technique for being able to hit a low pitch/bunch/bump and run (whatever you want to call it). For example, I was about 50 yards out, if I hit a standard partial wedge shot, i would likely hit some tree branches, so instead i pulled out a 5 iron and hit a punch that landed in the fairway and ran to the green

I hate you're injured right now, but at least you're making the best of it and I believe it'll help you in the long run. Having more options around the green can do nothing but benefit you. Also, I'm a firm believer that having a reliable punch out shot for those times you get stuck under branches is a good thing. I hope you get to feeling better soon.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

I hate you're injured right now, but at least you're making the best of it and I believe it'll help you in the long run. Having more options around the green can do nothing but benefit you. Also, I'm a firm believer that having a reliable punch out shot for those times you get stuck under branches is a good thing. I hope you get to feeling better soon.

Thanks, trying to rehab so i can play on Sunday 😃

• Like 1

Updated 4/27/2021

• 2 weeks later...

Been out of commission due to the injury but should be getting back into things this week. Mainly been focused on putting at home. Discovered that my left hand was starting to creep to being too strong again, and when I do that, I start pulling putts. My putting instructor had me weaken my grip a while back, but the left hand start to creep back to being strong again (not quite as strong as it used to be). Weakening it and remembering what my grip should feel like has helped my putting quite a bit.

• Like 5

Updated 4/27/2021

Hope you get to play soon. Regarding pulling putts, what size/brand putter grip are you using?

Been out of commission due to the injury but should be getting back into things this week. Mainly been focused on putting at home. Discovered that my left hand was starting to creep to being too strong again, and when I do that, I start pulling putts. My putting instructor had me weaken my grip a while back, but the left hand start to creep back to being strong again (not quite as strong as it used to be). Weakening it and remembering what my grip should feel like has helped my putting quite a bit.

Sent from my SM-N960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

@dlow206, The biggest Saving grace about being injured right now is that you do not look outside and think today is so gorgeous I wish i was playing.. the weather is crappy, your injured, so work on what you can.. You are doing an awesome job.. Swing looks good.. Right now i'm in my office watching it rain, Catching up on your progress.. Keep it up your doing awesome.. 

• Like 1

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Cobra F8+ Driver Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedges 54* and 58* versatile grind

Snake eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

On 1/27/2021 at 9:41 PM, aerospace_ray said:

Hope you get to play soon. Regarding pulling putts, what size/brand putter grip are you using?

Sent from my SM-N960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I currently use the Tour Snsr (the blue one) in the 104cc size

27 minutes ago, Reesedw said:

@dlow206, The biggest Saving grace about being injured right now is that you do not look outside and think today is so gorgeous I wish i was playing.. the weather is crappy, your injured, so work on what you can.. You are doing an awesome job.. Swing looks good.. Right now i'm in my office watching it rain, Catching up on your progress.. Keep it up your doing awesome.. 

Thanks for the encouragement and thanks for following a long. Yeah, the weather is not so great right now.

• Like 1

Updated 4/27/2021

1 hour ago, dlow206 said:

I currently use the Tour Snsr (the blue one) in the 104cc size

Thanks for the encouragement and thanks for following a long. Yeah, the weather is not so great right now.

Love the feel of that Tour Snsr/blue grip. While I don't play it now I have in past. Additionally I wanted to share that at one period of time I enjoyed the Garsen type grips as they seem to quiet my hands or rather I did not open/close putter as much. I may go back to those on a few of my backup putters.

• Like 1

@dlow206, Have you been using a driving range?? Which one? @IDontGiveAchuck has gone to both the Super Range on 128th in Everett, they have top tracer and Choice Turf in Snohomish and they Trackman if you want to get some real numbers on how you are doing...

Dave-

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Snake eyes Viper Putter.

1 hour ago, Reesedw said:

@dlow206, Have you been using a driving range?? Which one? @IDontGiveAchuck has gone to both the Super Range on 128th in Everett, they have top tracer and Choice Turf in Snohomish and they Trackman if you want to get some real numbers on how you are doing...

I typically go to the range at Mill Creek Country Club since i'm a member and its closest to me. Have been to Super Range once and have been a few times to the range in Snohomish

Updated 4/27/2021

15 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

I typically go to the range at Mill Creek Country Club since i'm a member and its closest to me. Have been to Super Range once and have been a few times to the range in Snohomish

Right on... Just thought I'd pass along the info.. 

Dave-

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Snake eyes Viper Putter.

Been able to start swinging again. While injured, I had been working on some feels and drills without a club. I still have to fight the inside takeaway. If I don't specifically focus on it, it comes back. 

• Like 5

Updated 4/27/2021

40 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Been able to start swinging again. While injured, I had been working on some feels and drills without a club. I still have to fight the inside takeaway. If I don't specifically focus on it, it comes back. 

looks pretty good;  I liked looking at the full speed version you posted to instagram. 

• Like 2

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

15 hours ago, dlow206 said:

Looks good.  I can definitely see the Monte influence.

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

These days, still recovering from my injury so not hitting too many balls. Working on better body awareness of what things should feel like at points in the swing, like where my hands should be at the top of the swing, how my wrist should be angled, etc. This is important for me because what "feels" like a laid off position at the top is actually in-line with the target, and what feels like is in-line with the target is over the line. That's one example. 

• Like 1

Updated 4/27/2021

I made an important self-discovery regarding my backswing. The problem was my inside takeaway as confirmed by my coach, and I was given clear instruction on what I was doing wrong and what the correct movement is, along with some drills. So my brain understood what I should be doing, but there was some sort of translation lost because my body wasn't repeatedly able to do what I was telling it to do. The self-realization I had was that I was telling my arms to do the wrong thing. I had thought that in order to not takeaway to the inside my arms needed to swing straight back. The realization that I had is that if I swing my arms what i think is straight back, but combine that with a pivot, that is precisely an inside takeaway combining those two pieces together. That realization really was a huge light bulb.

Here is my latest swing, some of you may have already seen it in the Practice thread.

• Like 3

Updated 4/27/2021

I never thought this would happen to me, but my path is now coming too far from the inside and i am hitting shots dead right. According to my coach it is because my right shoulder is dipping in the downswing. This is the next thing I need to work on fixing and so far finding it hard to not do it. 

• Like 6

Updated 4/27/2021

17 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

I never thought this would happen to me, but my path is now coming too far from the inside and i am hitting shots dead right. According to my coach it is because my right shoulder is dipping in the downswing. This is the next thing I need to work on fixing and so far finding it hard to not do it. 

You still working with Alex via skillest?

Some general curiosity questions for research on the app. If so how do you like the app and communication via the app? Does he have a timeframe/limit for how many vids or communication you get before he considers it another lesson?

• Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

7 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

You still working with Alex via skillest?

Some general curiosity questions for research on the app. If so how do you like the app and communication via the app? Does he have a timeframe/limit for how many vids or communication you get before he considers it another lesson?

Not working with Alex anymore, been working with Monte again. A lot of that decision came down to cost of the Skillest subscription. I could afford it but didn't feel like I could continue to get the value out of for the monthly price, compared to having periodic lessons with Monte. Also, Skillest prices are going higher and higher for the most popular instructors.

In general, the app works well from a communication standpoint, keeps everything in one place, easy to refer back to prior lessons, prior conversations, etc. If you are on a subscription plan, then every video submission is considered a lesson, but since the subscription is unlimited, you can submit as many as you want.

• Like 1

Updated 4/27/2021

1 minute ago, dlow206 said:

Not working with Alex anymore, been working with Monte again. A lot of that decision came down to cost of the Skillest subscription. I could afford it but didn't feel like I could continue to get the value out of for the monthly price, compared to having periodic lessons with Monte. Also, Skillest prices are going higher and higher for the most popular instructors.

In general, the app works well from a communication standpoint, keeps everything in one place, easy to refer back to prior lessons, prior conversations, etc. If you are on a subscription plan, then every video submission is considered a lesson, but since the subscription is unlimited, you can submit as many as you want.

Cool. Monte is good. I’ve looked over a couple of his video series and some of his YouTube stuff.

Thanks for the feedback on the app

• Like 2

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1