Dlow206's Quest to Break into the 80s

10 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

There has been a lot of of discussion in the last few pages on whether instruction will help me with my goals or if I should focus on other areas that aren't related to instruction. 

Good stuff Derrick.   you sound like me;  you want to understand the details,  but when you get out on the course the details fall away and you focus on a couple of things.   

• Like 4

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 5-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter: Auditions ongoing 

Backups:  :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787, :seemore-small: mFGP2, logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

4 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Good stuff Derrick.   you sound like me;  you want to understand the details,  but when you get out on the course the details fall away and you focus on a couple of things.   

I used to focus on way too many details on the course, but have gotten better over time about not thinking about too many swing related thoughts. 

• Like 6

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 11/13/2021
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:titelist-small: TSi2 3 wood, 5 wood - Aldila Ascent 60 S
Irons:titelist-small: T300 5 to SW - LAGP AXS Red 85 Stiff double soft stepped
Wedges:Miura: K-grind 2.0 58 wedge - Xcaliber RT Spin Wedge 100
Putter:  SIK DW Armlock - LAGP 180 armlock shaft

22 hours ago, russtopherb said:

How did a thread about Derrick documenting his quest turn into a forum for double digit caps to criticize what he has decided to do?

How about we let the thread get back on topic with Derrick sharing his experiences with his recent lessons and discussing his improvement plan, OK?

Handicap has little too do Anything. Years playing and digging thru garbage advice and quick fix / fly by nights avoidance is key. Just thought passing on some guidance never hurts in this world. Am I wrong ?

On 12/29/2021 at 2:16 PM, cnosil said:

We all make decisions and choices;  some good and some bad.  Nope,  we don't know what kind of progress he could have made.  I can only relate to personal experience and tell you that some people need help from instructors.   I tried and failed miserably trying to fix my short game and even with instruction it took me close to a year to get it back on track.  I am now working on fixing my full swing and have been unsuccessful and fixing it myself.   The reason for the failure is I don't know what do to do fix my issues.   I can go to the range do some drills and hit the ball well so it isn't that I can't get the ball in the air and advance it to the green.   I can't make it translate into improved scoring.  

It won't turn into that for you because you don't want it to.  You are content with your game and golf is fun for you.   Enough is dependent on the player why are you so against players doing what they want to do to try and get better?  Maybe it is endless and won't show anything in the end.    If you can prove to me that not taking instruction will improve my game,  tell me how to get to a below scratch player with my current struggles.  My backswing and follow through are "fine" but I top, fat, pull, hook, and hit the ball straight and the scorecard reflects that I am not consistent.   I've got my own thread if you'd like to review my swing.  (https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/39282-cnosil-journey-to-a-better-golf-game/)

. Stop worrying about the how’s and why’s and go enjoy your time out their 

Edited by Goober

Over the past months plus my game has been in a real funk.  Have been shooting in the low to high 90s and even shot a 100 on one occasion.  My current handicap is 17.2 which is the highest I have carried in years.  Our greens are tough, but putting and driving are two of my strengths.  Two areas that have really hurt my game were my short game and my sand game.  I play golf with a couple of PGA teaching pros.  One is retired and I play three days a week and he is a great sand player.  The other still works at our course and still teaches.  Thru their guidance.  Seems their assistance has paid off.  This week on Monday  83, Wednesday 88, and Friday, 81.  It is all in that six inches between the ears.  Go see a professional and listen and work on what they tell you.  Hopefully this trend can continue and I will again enjoy this crazy game again.  Have the best equipment, in my opinion, having been fitted, play the best ball, having been fitted, so now that I have been tweaked by the teaching pros, I am looking forward to a fulfilling 2022.  Hopeing to shoot my age this year.  Good goal.  But if I do not the world will not end.  75 by September 10.  After that 76.  Wish me luck.  We have the weather where we get to play pretty much the year round.  Just load up on the FJ layers and off we go.  Even have the FJ rain boots for the days when it can get a little cold and wet.  Always being prepared.    

• Like 3

Titleist

DRIVER - TSI3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR S  

FAIRWAY - TSI2 16.5* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 S

HYBRID - 816H1 18.0* - Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 8.8 Tour Spec S

HYBRID - 818H1 21.0* - Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 8.8 Tour Spec S

IRONS - T300 (2019) - 5-W - True Temper AMT Red 107g-95gm R300

WEDGES - VOKEY SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94gm R300,  SM7 - 58.12D N.S. PRO 950GH R300       

***  GolfPride MC+4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges) 

PUTTER - 2020 CAMERON SPECIAL SELECT CUSTOM  - 35" Newport 2                                                    * GolfPride SNSR 104 Grip

GOLF BALL - TITLEIST - Prov1 

GOLF BAG - TITLEIST - Midsize Tour Bag Black/Black/Red and Black Cart 14 

GOLF GLOVE - FOOTJOY - StaSof, Hyper Flex, StaCooler, Rain Glove

SHOES/APPAREL - FOOTJOY 

RANGEFINDER -  BUSHNELL - Pro XE

21 minutes ago, ChuckZ said:

Over the past months plus my game has been in a real funk.  Have been shooting in the low to high 90s and even shot a 100 on one occasion.  My current handicap is 17.2 which is the highest I have carried in years.  Our greens are tough, but putting and driving are two of my strengths.  Two areas that have really hurt my game were my short game and my sand game.  I play golf with a couple of PGA teaching pros.  One is retired and I play three days a week and he is a great sand player.  The other still works at our course and still teaches.  Thru their guidance.  Seems their assistance has paid off.  This week on Monday  83, Wednesday 88, and Friday, 81.  It is all in that six inches between the ears.  Go see a professional and listen and work on what they tell you.  Hopefully this trend can continue and I will again enjoy this crazy game again.  Have the best equipment, in my opinion, having been fitted, play the best ball, having been fitted, so now that I have been tweaked by the teaching pros, I am looking forward to a fulfilling 2022.  Hopeing to shoot my age this year.  Good goal.  But if I do not the world will not end.  75 by September 10.  After that 76.  Wish me luck.  We have the weather where we get to play pretty much the year round.  Just load up on the FJ layers and off we go.  Even have the FJ rain boots for the days when it can get a little cold and wet.  Always being prepared.    

You can do it young fella!!  😉

• Like 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Its been cold, snowy, and now cold and rainy, so i haven't done any outdoor practice. Just mainly been working indoors on feeling the movements that Monte has me working on, and then spending some time working on my putting, based on what Monte had mentioned about my putting.

Also, going to go for a putter fitting on Friday at Club Champion. Need to put my mind at rest in terms of what the best fit style of putter will be for me. For example, i have no idea what toe hang i need for a putter. I am educated on toe hang and theoretically what types of strokes fit which amount of toe hang. But in practice for me, my stroke just automatically adjusts and has more arc the more toe hang the putter has. So I need something a little more analytical, which the SAM Putt Lab will provide. 

• Like 2

Updated 11/13/2021

14 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Its been cold, snowy, and now cold and rainy, so i haven't done any outdoor practice. Just mainly been working indoors on feeling the movements that Monte has me working on, and then spending some time working on my putting, based on what Monte had mentioned about my putting.

Also, going to go for a putter fitting on Friday at Club Champion. Need to put my mind at rest in terms of what the best fit style of putter will be for me. For example, i have no idea what toe hang i need for a putter. I am educated on toe hang and theoretically what types of strokes fit which amount of toe hang. But in practice for me, my stroke just automatically adjusts and has more arc the more toe hang the putter has. So I need something a little more analytical, which the SAM Putt Lab will provide. 

dont get hung up on toe hang.  The same toe hang with different weight heads will perform differently.  

• Like 2

Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype

Backups:  :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787, :seemore-small: mFGP2, logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 minutes ago, cnosil said:

dont get hung up on toe hang.  The same toe hang with different weight heads will perform differently.  

Yep, thats partly why i need the putter fitting on the SAM, to at least see some numbers behind what happens when trying different types of putters. and at a minimum at least try to optimize loft and lie angle

• Like 1

Updated 11/13/2021

Just now, dlow206 said:

Yep, thats partly why i need the putter fitting on the SAM, to at least see some numbers behind what happens when trying different types of putters. and at a minimum at least try to optimize loft and lie angle

Hopefully they let you try different types of putters.  Also be aware that if you change putters SAM could also change the recommendation.   You can definitely get lot and lie fixed.   Looking forward to hearing what you find out. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Hopefully they let you try different types of putters.  Also be aware that if you change putters SAM could also change the recommendation.   You can definitely get lot and lie fixed.   Looking forward to hearing what you find out. 

Also need to get the fitters opinion on length. After my lesson with Monte and what he called out about my lower body movement in my putting stroke, i've been working on trying to stabilize my lower body. what has helped is being bent over a littler more and gripping down on my putter (nothing crazy with the posture, but gripping down further than i would normally). gripping down on my putter how i do would result in what most would consider an absurdly short putter. 

• Like 5

Updated 11/13/2021

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I never closed the loop in this thread about my putter fitting, but i don't want to re-write what i had posted in another thread, so check out this thread if it is of interest

Regarding full swing work, I hadn't been out to the range or on the course for about three weeks due to the crappy weather in my area. While I hadn't hit any balls for three weeks until this past Sunday, I did practice some swing feels everyday, all related to what Monte has me working on. I didn't lose focus or try to work on anything else except for also making sure I grip the club how I intend to grip the club, which is something I need to always work on. No random youtube videos, no random ideas, etc. I also did quite a bit of indoor putting work, again working on what Monte had called out during my on-course lesson. 

So while the swing changes will take time to ingrain, I did see some immediate impact related to putting. Historically, I miss a lot of short putts that are 8 feet and under. I understand that from 8 feet, even Tour pros only make slightly above 50%, but I feel like my make rate was less than 10% (maybe a bit of overexaggerating). And I used to even struggle with the even shorter putts, like 4 footers. Because of this, I would have a lot of three putts per round. During my latest round, I made every putt within 6 feet. I don't expect to be that perfect during future rounds, but i do feel like i have made significant improvement.

Full swing wise, the swing improvements are starting to have some positive impacts on course, but still require a lot more work. Took a few videos yesterday and asked Monte for some quick feedback. He said it looks good, but arms are just a tad behind. I know where I need to be careful. There is a move where my lower body thrusts in the direction of the target (some combo of early extension and hip slide). That move starts to creep back in (aka one of the swing faults im working on fixing) and causes me to get a bit steep and then a lot of manipulation from there. 

• Like 4

Updated 11/13/2021

34 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

I guess I never closed the loop in this thread about my putter fitting, but i don't want to re-write what i had posted in another thread, so check out this thread if it is of interest

Regarding full swing work, I hadn't been out to the range or on the course for about three weeks due to the crappy weather in my area. While I hadn't hit any balls for three weeks until this past Sunday, I did practice some swing feels everyday, all related to what Monte has me working on. I didn't lose focus or try to work on anything else except for also making sure I grip the club how I intend to grip the club, which is something I need to always work on. No random youtube videos, no random ideas, etc. I also did quite a bit of indoor putting work, again working on what Monte had called out during my on-course lesson. 

So while the swing changes will take time to ingrain, I did see some immediate impact related to putting. Historically, I miss a lot of short putts that are 8 feet and under. I understand that from 8 feet, even Tour pros only make slightly above 50%, but I feel like my make rate was less than 10% (maybe a bit of overexaggerating). And I used to even struggle with the even shorter putts, like 4 footers. Because of this, I would have a lot of three putts per round. During my latest round, I made every putt within 6 feet. I don't expect to be that perfect during future rounds, but i do feel like i have made significant improvement.

Full swing wise, the swing improvements are starting to have some positive impacts on course, but still require a lot more work. Took a few videos yesterday and asked Monte for some quick feedback. He said it looks good, but arms are just a tad behind. I know where I need to be careful. There is a move where my lower body thrusts in the direction of the target (some combo of early extension and hip slide). That move starts to creep back in (aka one of the swing faults im working on fixing) and causes me to get a bit steep and then a lot of manipulation from there. 

How’s the moi iron set working out for you?

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

33 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

How’s the moi iron set working out for you?

They are working out ok, but maybe the playing length is a little long. But before I jump to any conclusion, im seeing a fitter tomorrow now that i have found a fitter that i trust a bit more than other fitters i have worked with in the past. 

• Like 1

Updated 11/13/2021

7 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

They are working out ok, but maybe the playing length is a little long. But before I jump to any conclusion, im seeing a fitter tomorrow now that i have found a fitter that i trust a bit more than other fitters i have worked with in the past. 

Interesting. Curious what you are seeing to make you think length is off? Is it ball flight, something in swing/stance? Or something else?

For the fitting what’s your goal/plan? New irons at proper length? Same irons and find right length? Something else?

• Like 1

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

9 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Interesting. Curious what you are seeing to make you think length is off? Is it ball flight, something in swing/stance? Or something else?

For the fitting what’s your goal/plan? New irons at proper length? Same irons and find right length? Something else?

The length comment is just not feeling comfortable over the ball, so i end up choking down a bit.

My goal with the fitting is to first get feedback from the fitter on length and lie angle. Its possible they are fine with my current set. The set I built plays a bit longer than I have typically in the past, so there is room to cut them down. Second is to see what graphite shafts fit me best or if i am good with what i have. Third, im not set out to buy new irons, but if something blows me away based on the fitting result, then i would have to consider.

Overall, broader than just this fitting, moving away from random ideas that i have to seeing what actually works best based on a good fitter and data. 

• Like 5

Updated 11/13/2021

51 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

The length comment is just not feeling comfortable over the ball, so i end up choking down a bit.

My goal with the fitting is to first get feedback from the fitter on length and lie angle. Its possible they are fine with my current set. The set I built plays a bit longer than I have typically in the past, so there is room to cut them down. Second is to see what graphite shafts fit me best or if i am good with what i have. Third, im not set out to buy new irons, but if something blows me away based on the fitting result, then i would have to consider.

Overall, broader than just this fitting, moving away from random ideas that i have to seeing what actually works best based on a good fitter and data. 

Cool. Looking forward to seeing what the fitter says

• Like 1

On 12/20/2019 at 8:19 PM, dlow206 said:

My Background

I consider myself an "aspiring golfer", and am finally taking golf seriously. I first started playing golf at the age of 9, and was a pretty good golfer for a kid that age. My best score at that time was 96, which I considered respectable for being 9 years old. However, I only played for about a year or so and then focused on other sports and hobbies.

I then tried to pick up golfing again in my early 20s, but that lasted only for about a year as well. At that time I was shooting in the low 100s, worse than when I was younger. 

I am now 35 and am taking golf seriously. I started taking regular lessons at Golftec since August, but to date have still struggled with certain issues. My miss is low and left (pull and pull hook) and my short game sucks.

My Goal

My long term goal is to regularly shoot below 100 and eventually break into the 90s. I believe better course management and some semblance of a short game will get me into the 90s regularly. Developing more consistency off the tee and from the fairway will get me to finally break 90 someday. I am creating this thread to share my experience and also create accountability for myself.

I see this thread is a few weeks old, so you have probably already heard this. But given that you have reasonable athletic ability and coordination, and are committed to lessons and practice, I think you are setting your goals too low. Instead of aiming to break 90 "someday," I think you should aim to break 90 THIS YEAR! 

I say this because I have a son about your age. He is athletic and played high school baseball. But he didn't start playing golf until his mid to late 20s. I took him to the range and out on the course to show him the basics, but he never took a lesson and doesn't practice much. But within a year he was shooting mid to low 90s. You can do it too! Set higher goals! 

Edit: Wow! I just realized this thread is over two YEARS old. Not a few weeks. I guess I need to read more of the thread now. Hopefully my post is extremely unnecessary and you have by now far surpassed your original goals. 

Edited by dnett
additional comment

Hey Derrick, I have read quite a bit of the comments on here and I think there's definitely a lot of great advice in different areas. I understand how hard it is to sort out what to do next and/or what to work on next. We all do it I'm sure. So, I'm not going to try to look at videos or act like I understand every nuance of someones swing and can find flaws in them. We have all seen some crazy looking swings that work well because they get back to impact position well enough to scoot the ball around a golf course with some level of skill and score well. So, I will tell you that I got the best piece of advice ever from old golf coach (didn't know this at the time) when I caught up with an old timer (I was early 30's and he was 75 or so) walking with a sunday bag and 7 clubs. He invited me joined him and I had a similar handicap to yours at the time. I had been playing about 5 years or so. I could hit it far but I never really knew where it was going. When we got done he had shot 78. I had probably shot around 90 or 91. I asked him what he thought I could work on. He said "I used to tell my players that they could lower their scores dramatically if they came to the course with a specific goal and plan to hit a certain # of GIR's" He said "You hit the ball far enough and I saw you 2 putt almost all of the greens we played today. How many greens in regulation did you hit today? I, of course, did not know. He went back through the round hole by hole with me and I hit 2. He told me that if I took every GIR and doubled it and subtracted it from a score of 95, I would be within a stroke or 2 of my actual score every time. 2x2=4 minus 95 is 91. This formula has worked 99.9% of the times I have tracked it (which is everytime I play). He said "How many GIRs do you think you could realistically hit out here next time you play?" I said probably 3 or 4 but not sure? He said " Ok. there are 4 par 3's, right? Can you hit 2 of those? You did it today, fyi. There are 4 par 5s, can you hit 2 of those? You get 3 shots to get home. Yes. Ok that's 4 right here!" He said "Don't forget, there are still 8 more par 4's that you could hit if you achieve that goal. Try to hit 5 next time and see how you do. That would give you an 85." So, I did it and have done it ever since. It works for me. I step on the tee box thinking of only one thing, get me in the fairway so I can have a crack at this green. The center of the green! I now shoot for all 4 par 3's and 5's in regulation. Thats 8x2=16 and I'm shooting 79 or 80. I have lowered my handicap dramatically with this thought process. Yeah, I work on whatever is ailing me in the pursuit of that goal. Short game, driver, approach shots etc.... But looking down the fairway at a cloud or top of a tree in the distance and then the center of a green as my target and not thinking too much about my stance or grip or swing plane, etc.... and just good "smooth tempo with stable head" and "go at this target" has helped me a lot. I hope it helps you too! Hit 5 greens next time, you'll definitely break 90.

Edited by Gopokes14
  • Like 3

Cart: image.png.50e429cab7658fa55a7699ecf1a9bc3b.pngElectric Cart Tek 1500

Driver: :ping-small: G400 LST  8.5 Alta 55 stiff

3 wood: :ping-small: G400 13.5 Alta 65 stiff

3 hybrid: :ping-small: G400 19 Alta 70 stiff

Irons 4-GW:  pxg-logo.gif.f353978c9ce9413281f838c1a44b4b8e.gifPXG Gen 3 0311T  

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 6’s gw 50.8, sw 56.8, lob 62.8)

Putter: :odyssey-small: O-Works Red Versa #7S slant neck

Ball:   2017241713_vicegolf.png.b7b0ffe8e9e2ae28cffbbd0e3f269760.pngVice Pro

25 minutes ago, Gopokes14 said:

Hey Derrick, I have read quite a bit of the comments on here and I think there's definitely a lot of great advice in different areas. I understand how hard it is to sort out what to do next and/or what to work on next. We all do it I'm sure. So, I'm not going to try to look at videos or act like I understand every nuance of someones swing and can find flaws in them. We have all seen some crazy looking swings that work well because they get back to impact position well enough to scoot the ball around a golf course with some level of skill and score well. So, I will tell you that I got the best piece of advice ever from old golf coach (didn't know this at the time) when I caught up with an old timer (I was early 30's and he was 75 or so) walking with a sunday bag and 7 clubs. He invited me joined him and I had a similar handicap to yours at the time. I had been playing about 5 years or so. I could hit it far but I never really knew where it was going. When we got done he had shot 78. I had probably shot around 90 or 91. I asked him what he thought I could work on. He said "I used to tell my players that they could lower their scores dramatically if they came to the course with a specific goal and plan to hit a certain # of GIR's" He said "You hit the ball far enough and I saw you 2 putt almost all of the greens we played today. How many greens in regulation did you hit today? I, of course, did not know. He went back through the round hole by hole with me and I hit 2. He told me that if I took every GIR and doubled it and subtracted it from a score of 95, I would be within a stroke or 2 of my actual score every time. 2x2=4 minus 95 is 91. This formula has worked 99.9% of the times I have tracked it (which is everytime I play). He said "How many GIRs do you think you could realistically hit out here next time you play?" I said probably 3 or 4 but not sure? He said " Ok. there are 4 par 3's, right? Can you hit 2 of those? You did it today, fyi. There are 4 par 5s, can you hit 2 of those? You get 3 shots to get home. Yes. Ok that's 4 right here!" He said "Don't forget, there are still 8 more par 4's that you could hit if you achieve that goal. Try to hit 5 next time and see how you do. That would give you an 85." So, I did it and have done it ever since. It works for me. I step on the tee box thinking of only one thing, get me in the fairway so I can have a crack at this green. The center of the green! I now shoot for all 4 par 3's and 5's in regulation. Thats 8x2=16 and I'm shooting 79 or 80. I have lowered my handicap dramatically with this thought process. Yeah, I work on whatever is ailing me in the pursuit of that goal. Short game, driver, approach shots etc.... But looking down the fairway at a cloud or top of a tree in the distance and then the center of a green as my target and not thinking too much about my stance or grip or swing plane, etc.... and just good "smooth tempo with stable head" and "go at this target" has helped me a lot. I hope it helps you too! Hit 5 greens next time, you'll definitely break 90.

Thanks for posting that. For GIRs, i go through interesting streaks. During my last round, I hit 4 GIRs in a row from holes 2 through 5. Overall on that front 9, i had 5 pars,  1 bogey, and then self destructed on the next three holes (triple bogey, double, double). 

• Like 1

Updated 11/13/2021