Dlow206's Quest to Break into the 80s

Read the post about GIR and score and remembered this:  gir.png.5093851e228cc2f04d27aa8a3dda6dc6.png

• Like 5

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5*) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*)-- Mitishibishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: M6 19* and 24* -- Fujikura Atmos R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW, SW(bent to 52*) -- KBSTour Graphite  70g shafts R +1/2 inch 3 up

Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX2 56* and 60* True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge shaft

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Findings from my fitting:

• My T300 irons that are supposed to be 2 degrees flatter than stock are not much flatter at all than stock spec, according to the fitter
  • The more upright the club, the more likely it is for me to miss to the right (the face wide open with a left club path). This doesn't intuitively make sense, because typically its talked about that too upright causes a left miss, but i am somehow reacting to how upright the club is that is causing me to keep face more open. This was tested with a T300 test club, first at stock spec, and then bent during the session by the fitter
  • Mizuno Hot Metals performed the best, probably in part because that club was flatted than the T300 by a couple of degrees. No huge right misses with the Hot Metals
  • Best fitting shaft was the Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip shafts, not the CW taper tips. I believe the parallel shafts play a bit softer than the CW, but I need to do more research
  • The T300 are really hard to bend. When the fitter was trying to bend the demo one, he could barely move it 1 degree
  • Like 6

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 11/13/2021
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:titelist-small: TSi2 3 wood, 5 wood - Aldila Ascent 60 S
Irons:titelist-small: T300 5 to SW - LAGP AXS Red 85 Stiff double soft stepped
Wedges:Miura: K-grind 2.0 58 wedge - Xcaliber RT Spin Wedge 100
Putter:  SIK DW Armlock - LAGP 180 armlock shaft

11 hours ago, dlow206 said:

The more upright the club, the more likely it is for me to miss to the right (the face wide open with a left club path). This doesn't intuitively make sense, because typically its talked about that too upright causes a left miss, but i am somehow reacting to how upright the club is that is causing me to keep face more open.

Correct all things being equal the ball would go left but your swing combined with the brains awareness knows this so your mind gets your body to react to avoid having the ball go left.

AMG talks a lot about how the body and mind react to the club face 

11 hours ago, dlow206 said:

My T300 irons that are supposed to be 2 degrees flatter than stock are not much flatter at all than stock spec, according to the fitter

Remember there’s going to be some tolerances from the manufacturer along with the possibility for tolerances in both the machines used and the person measuring.

This is why many recommend having the loft and low checked when irons arrive.

some are more sensitive to this than others. I’m usually more concerned with loft than lie and typically don’t get them checked unless something seems off on the range or course like I had with my sm8s that both the 54 and 60 were 2* weaker and 1.5* upright. The weaker was what I noticed in the course.

• Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Correct all things being equal the ball would go left but your swing combined with the brains awareness knows this so your mind gets your body to react to avoid having the ball go left.

AMG talks a lot about how the body and mind react to the club face 

Remember there’s going to be some tolerances from the manufacturer along with the possibility for tolerances in both the machines used and the person measuring.

This is why many recommend having the loft and low checked when irons arrive.

some are more sensitive to this than others. I’m usually more concerned with loft than lie and typically don’t get them checked unless something seems off on the range or course like I had with my sm8s that both the 54 and 60 were 2* weaker and 1.5* upright. The weaker was what I noticed in the course.

Yep, makes sense on the tolerances. The fitter at CC did make the statement that there was no way my T300 set was ever bent. I do agree that they were more upright than what 2 flat should have been, but when i measured myself at home, i see that they are flatter than stock spec, but not 2 flat. I think they were bent some but there is the manufacturing tolerances and then the human error with getting the iron perfectly aligned in the loft lie machine gauge when taking the measurements. 

• Like 1

Updated 11/13/2021

37 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Yep, makes sense on the tolerances. The fitter at CC did make the statement that there was no way my T300 set was ever bent. I do agree that they were more upright than what 2 flat should have been, but when i measured myself at home, i see that they are flatter than stock spec, but not 2 flat. I think they were bent some but there is the manufacturing tolerances and then the human error with getting the iron perfectly aligned in the loft lie machine gauge when taking the measurements. 

Yeah, the downside of golf equipment. Not everyone using the same machines/methods and tolerances that in other industries would be laughed at. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

• 2 weeks later...

My updates for the purposes of this thread are probably a bit boring, still working on specific items from Monte's lesson back from December, ingraining them, and learning to feel when i am doing it right vs. when i am reverting back to old movements. When I execute the new movements well, i love the shots that it produces. Appropriately (for my swing speed) high trajectory iron shots that are straight. Small draw with a driver. When i execute incorrectly, i tend to miss with an open face push-fade/slice where the swingpath is actually left but the face is really open. Note that this miss is not something new that was introduced by the swing changes that i am working on, its the same as the old miss. But now i know what body movements I am making that causes this issue and starting to get a better feel of delineating between the correct and incorrect movements. 

• Like 7

Updated 11/13/2021

1 hour ago, dlow206 said:

My updates for the purposes of this thread are probably a bit boring, still working on specific items from Monte's lesson back from December, ingraining them, and learning to feel when i am doing it right vs. when i am reverting back to old movements. When I execute the new movements well, i love the shots that it produces. Appropriately (for my swing speed) high trajectory iron shots that are straight. Small draw with a driver. When i execute incorrectly, i tend to miss with an open face push-fade/slice where the swingpath is actually left but the face is really open. Note that this miss is not something new that was introduced by the swing changes that i am working on, its the same as the old miss. But now i know what body movements I am making that causes this issue and starting to get a better feel of delineating between the correct and incorrect movements. 

Are you using his improvement plan package along with the lessons?

44 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Are you using his improvement plan package along with the lessons?

Yes. i send in videos less frequently that i used to though. i probably used to send in videos too frequently in the past, and i better understand how and when to use check in videos vs. remote live lessons vs. online lessons that he offers. 

• Like 3

Updated 11/13/2021

Quick update. In a quick check-in with Monte, he called out that I am overexaggerating a portion of the movement that we are working on (overexaggerating in a bad way), so working on fixing that.

Other thing is, i have continued to NOT look at random youtube videos or random instruction videos, just focused on the items that i have intended to focus on and not gotten distracted. 

• Like 5

Updated 11/13/2021

This is a good depiction of the "recentering" move that Monte has me working on:

• Like 2

Updated 11/13/2021

20 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

This is a good depiction of the "recentering" move that Monte has me working on:

Monte just like AMG who talk about recentering being huge part of what the best do both talk about the lead heel coming off the ground, not so much by just picking it up but via rotation in the swing forcing it to come ip. GG is also a recentering and heel off then ground style as well.

Every coach I’ve seen that talks about feet, pressure movement, and recentering it’s about not having your feet feel like they are planted in cement because you can’t properly shift and pivot that way. 

Has Monte said anything to you about your feet movement and where pressure is in your feet during the swing? The reason I ask is in your swing videos it doesn’t appear that the pressure doesn’t change between heel and toe in either foot during the swing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Monte just like AMG who talk about recentering being huge part of what the best do both talk about the lead heel coming off the ground, not so much by just picking it up but via rotation in the swing forcing it to come ip. GG is also a recentering and heel off then ground style as well.

Every coach I’ve seen that talks about feet, pressure movement, and recentering it’s about not having your feet feel like they are planted in cement because you can’t properly shift and pivot that way. 

Has Monte said anything to you about your feet movement and where pressure is in your feet during the swing? The reason I ask is in your swing videos it doesn’t appear that the pressure doesn’t change between heel and toe in either foot during the swing. 

Not specifically about feet movement, but he also doesn't want me to work on too many things at once. The two things he has me focused on is recentering and also my arms getting too far behind on the downswing (out of sequence). The arms behind issue has been an issue as long as i can remember. 

Updated 11/13/2021

30 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Not specifically about feet movement, but he also doesn't want me to work on too many things at once. The two things he has me focused on is recentering and also my arms getting too far behind on the downswing (out of sequence). The arms behind issue has been an issue as long as i can remember. 

What drills does he have you doing to work on recentering?

31 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

What drills does he have you doing to work on recentering?

It not a drill, its more of a swing thought about "move right, move left" with some other general parameters like if my trail leg gets too straight to the point of locking out, then i am overdoing it. i now need to focus on the arms getting too far behind on the downswing and i know what i need to work on in regards to that. 

• Like 1

Updated 11/13/2021

Still need to get some feedback from Monte, but I think my left arm was getting a bit stuck to the chest too long in the downswing, which was never an intention.

Was working on some arm movements thoughts from Monte's Broomforce to try to improve arm movement and sequencing on the downswing. I submitted an online lesson to Monte so will get his feedback. 

• Like 5

Updated 11/13/2021

Got my online lesson back from Monte. Said my recentering movement is looking good now, and that my main issue is arms are too far behind / out of sequence on the downswing (as i expected). He gave some checkpoints based on the video analysis to show where my arms and hands should be at a point in the downswing compared to where they are for me currently. That will help me better analyze my own recording swings to see if i am making improvements on this issue or if i am just doing the same thing. Also he gave a few ideas for drills as a starting point but is open to the student trying some of the other drills in his videos that are relevant from his videos. Not all drills/feels/intents will work for every student, so you have to find the one that works best for you. 

• Like 3

Updated 11/13/2021

12 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Got my online lesson back from Monte. Said my recentering movement is looking good now, and that my main issue is arms are too far behind / out of sequence on the downswing (as i expected). He gave some checkpoints based on the video analysis to show where my arms and hands should be at a point in the downswing compared to where they are for me currently. That will help me better analyze my own recording swings to see if i am making improvements on this issue or if i am just doing the same thing. Also he gave a few ideas for drills as a starting point but is open to the student trying some of the other drills in his videos that are relevant from his videos. Not all drills/feels/intents will work for every student, so you have to find the one that works best for you. 

The videos are looking good.  I glad Monte saw the same thing as I did.  🤣  I was waiting for him to say it first!!  

I still see the arms starting down at the same time you start rotating.  As Monte has said, most ams can't get their arms in position quick enough.  I have to focus on starting my arms down while keeping my back to the target.  Feels weird at first, but the more I do it, the less weird it feels.  Once the arms drop a little, then I try to rotate as quickly as I can.  Not as quick as I should... I'm old, but my arms and body are synced up.

• Like 3

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

12 hours ago, Kenny B said:

The videos are looking good.  I glad Monte saw the same thing as I did.  🤣  I was waiting for him to say it first!!  

I still see the arms starting down at the same time you start rotating.  As Monte has said, most ams can't get their arms in position quick enough.  I have to focus on starting my arms down while keeping my back to the target.  Feels weird at first, but the more I do it, the less weird it feels.  Once the arms drop a little, then I try to rotate as quickly as I can.  Not as quick as I should... I'm old, but my arms and body are synced up.

The way Monte explained the "arms behind" issue on the video analysis was really helpful because talked he also explained it in context of hand height at certain points in the downswing. For whatever reason, the hand height part resonated better with me. In the past, when trying to speed up the arms, i just end up speeding up the body along with it which means i am still out of sequence and arms behind, because my arms are pinned to my chest too long.

I now have a better idea on what needs to change besides just speeding up the arms. 

• Like 4

Updated 11/13/2021

Swing is looking good! A feel that has helped me with recentering recently is working into the trail heel as I push back when I start my backswing. Once you get the arms more in front of you the swing will be money!

• Like 2

Have you been able to get to the course or to the range where you can see your complete shots? Just wondering if you are noticing more consistency with shots/distances with the improvements in your swing?

• Like 2

:ping-small: G425 LST 10.5 Aldilla Rogue White 70s

:titelist-small: TS3 15.5 3W Fuji Speeder Tour Spec

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19deg Hybrid Fuji Atmos White

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 50,54, and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:taylormade-small:Spider Tour Putter

Vice Pro Plus White or Titleist ProV1x

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

:CaddyTek: V8 3 Wheel Push Cart

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review