Dlow206's Quest to Break into the 80s

15 minutes ago, BMart519 said:

Depending on your strength levels - target 1.75x body weight for squat (1.5x min) and 2.25x body weight for deadlift (2x min), working on those moves should be your priority. (300lb deadlift and 200lb squat are other good interim targets) Mike from Fit for Golf references these on Twitter and elsewhere in his material. Getting really fast with low strength has much less upside if your max power/strength levels are limited. Vertical jumps and med ball throws are always good to build in for coordination, sequencing, and speed. But it doesn;t need to be the majority of a plan if strength level are significantly below what I mentioned above. Single leg squats and deadlifts, eventually incorporating the dumbbells, can help approach those weight levels when you start dividing by 2...

In the past, I always lifted for show (bodybuilding type workout) rather than strength focused. In my stronger days, I had a decent bench press, but my squat has always been crap and my deadlift was always just ok.

I am little hesitant to try to target 300lb deadlift and 200lb squat, but it does make sense for me to focus on improving those lifts. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 4/27/2021
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Graphite Design AD-XC 6S
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:srixon-small: ZX5 5 - PW - Accra 95 icwt S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Two Ball Ten S Tour Lines - 31"

21 hours ago, dlow206 said:

In the past, I always lifted for show (bodybuilding type workout) rather than strength focused. In my stronger days, I had a decent bench press, but my squat has always been crap and my deadlift was always just ok.

I am little hesitant to try to target 300lb deadlift and 200lb squat, but it does make sense for me to focus on improving those lifts. 

300/200 could be a 6 - 12 month target. I am 34 with a back that I would consider average at best. I did a lot of functional work and full body workouts in the past. I enjoy vertical jump and foot speed drills after playing soccer and basketball for years and use superspeed sticks occasionally at home plus an orange whip. Never played baseball, hockey, or any other rotational sports to develop good sequencing and rotary speed. In approx 3 months this year, I went from squatting 135 (5 sets of 5) to 195 and from 185 to 255 in deadlift (1-3 sets of 5). 2 days in the gym per week. Day 1 - squats, rows, bench press; Day 2 - more squats, deadlift and shoulder press. 

Select targets that make sense to you, a lot of people avoid squats and deadlifts in favour of the "showy" upper body muscles. Lots of statistics coming out nowadays, Scott Fawcett and Lou Sterner have put some averages out on Twitter as to how many strokes would be saved with a 20-30 yard gain off the tee. For a 90 shooter, I believe it was around 2 strokes per round. That is 2 stokes you can save without stepping foot on a golf course or picking up a club. This also drove home the importance of driver fitting for me, especially when I saw 10-20 yard gains at demo days over my gamer which got retired at the end of season. 

To make the 10-20 stoke improvements you are looking for, you need to hit all areas: strength/conditioning, equipment optimization/fitting, technique through lessons, lots of on course play, and training on course management. This is a summary of the approach I am using to close in on single digits. 

• Like 1

:cobra-small: F9 Driver 9*

:cobra-small: Baffler 2H/4H

:ping-small: G700 4i, G410 6-UW, Glide 2.0 54, 60*

:EVNROLL: ER2.2

9 minutes ago, BMart519 said:

300/200 could be a 6 - 12 month target. I am 34 with a back that I would consider average at best. I did a lot of functional work and full body workouts in the past. I enjoy vertical jump and foot speed drills after playing soccer and basketball for years and use superspeed sticks occasionally at home plus an orange whip. Never played baseball, hockey, or any other rotational sports to develop good sequencing and rotary speed. In approx 3 months this year, I went from squatting 135 (5 sets of 5) to 195 and from 185 to 255 in deadlift (1-3 sets of 5). 2 days in the gym per week. Day 1 - squats, rows, bench press; Day 2 - more squats, deadlift and shoulder press. 

Select targets that make sense to you, a lot of people avoid squats and deadlifts in favour of the "showy" upper body muscles. Lots of statistics coming out nowadays, Scott Fawcett and Lou Sterner have put some averages out on Twitter as to how many strokes would be saved with a 20-30 yard gain off the tee. For a 90 shooter, I believe it was around 2 strokes per round. That is 2 stokes you can save without stepping foot on a golf course or picking up a club. This also drove home the importance of driver fitting for me, especially when I saw 10-20 yard gains at demo days over my gamer which got retired at the end of season. 

To make the 10-20 stoke improvements you are looking for, you need to hit all areas: strength/conditioning, equipment optimization/fitting, technique through lessons, lots of on course play, and training on course management. This is a summary of the approach I am using to close in on single digits. 

Thanks, that is helpful. One challenge I have is that my dumbbells in my garage only go up to 75lbs a piece, which is decent, but not heavy enough for deadlifts. For now, will have to make due with the equipment i have.

• Like 1

Updated 4/27/2021

3 hours ago, dlow206 said:

Thanks, that is helpful. One challenge I have is that my dumbbells in my garage only go up to 75lbs a piece, which is decent, but not heavy enough for deadlifts. For now, will have to make due with the equipment i have.

Split leg squats, single leg deadlifts 😉 I'll be doing the same thing with 50lb dumbbells. 

Body weight squats with focus on getting below parallel to increase hip mobility. 

• Like 1

:cobra-small: F9 Driver 9*

:cobra-small: Baffler 2H/4H

:ping-small: G700 4i, G410 6-UW, Glide 2.0 54, 60*

:EVNROLL: ER2.2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2020 at 1:49 PM, BMart519 said:

Split leg squats, single leg deadlifts 😉 I'll be doing the same thing with 50lb dumbbells. 

Body weight squats with focus on getting below parallel to increase hip mobility. 

Did split leg squats yesterday with the backfoot on a bench, wow that was much harder than expected, need to work on those.

• Like 1

Updated 4/27/2021

Since everything is closed down here, not really much practicing I can do. One thing I have noticed based on video swings before the shut down was that my old habits are creeping back in of getting real steep again in transition. At one point, after taking one lesson with Monte Scheinblum, I was able to groove a much better swing, but I have started to lose the feel and get steep again.

For me to be able to effectively implement something, I need to have one or two specific feels that I can focus on. The "shallow" the shaft thoughts/feels haven't worked super well for me. I came across the video below, and it's a really interesting way to think about getting more shallow without actively trying to manipulate the shaft to be more shallow. I like how Mike Malaska explains things.

Updated 4/27/2021

I came across something random but important today. On a video, it emphasized to double check where the clubface lines up with the ball at setup, because your eyes can trick you. Sure enough, when I look at my driver and think that the line on the driver is lined up with the middle of the ball, it is not if i look from face on, it is actually more toward the toe. That puts me in a bad starting position and probably makes my tendency to hit off the toe even worse.

• Like 1

Updated 4/27/2021

I came across something random but important today. On a video, it emphasized to double check where the clubface lines up with the ball at setup, because your eyes can trick you. Sure enough, when I look at my driver and think that the line on the driver is lined up with the middle of the ball, it is not if i look from face on, it is actually more toward the toe. That puts me in a bad starting position and probably makes my tendency to hit off the toe even worse.

That's very interesting - never heard that before so will have to give it a go.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

1 minute ago, tony@CIC said:

That's very interesting - never heard that before so will have to give it a go.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Yeah, it's interesting. This was from AMG golf. Even Shaun, one of the instructors on the video, tends to line it up towards the heel if he is not focused on the setup, because his eyes are seeing it as centered when it is not. 

Updated 4/27/2021

On 4/15/2020 at 6:55 PM, dlow206 said:

Not random at all!  High performers in all arenas know that details matter.  We would all be better if we better identified what was important and fixated on it. Most players are horribly random or focused on incorrect details. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, edteergolf said:

Not random at all!  High performers in all arenas know that details matter.  We would all be better if we better identified what was important and fixated on it. Most players are horribly random or focused on incorrect details. 

I had never even given thought to the fact that my eyes could be tricking me, that what I see as centered with the alignment line on the top of my driver is not actually centered. 

Updated 4/27/2021

I had never even given thought to the fact that my eyes could be tricking me, that what I see as centered with the alignment line on the top of my driver is not actually centered. 

Parallax error. Same reason that when putting the line on the ball that looks right when you are behind the ball but wrong when you take your stance.
  • Like 2

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

10 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

It affects ball position, ball/face with all clubs including the putter, and how you set the face up at address.  Most, if not all, players start with the face closed.  Our eyes seem to like straight lines as in connect the dots versus an actual straight line.  Most players connect dots from the hosel to the toe of the club at the leading edge.  Place your golf club against a flat wall or base board.  More than likely you will see a gap.  Now, make the leading edge square to the wall.  Once you are done, pull the club away and it more than likely appear open.  This is a real problem if you hit a push draw but set up with a closed face to the target line.  

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Parallax error. Same reason that when putting the line on the ball that looks right when you are behind the ball but wrong when you take your stance.

57 minutes ago, edteergolf said:

It affects ball position, ball/face with all clubs including the putter, and how you set the face up at address.  Most, if not all, players start with the face closed.  Our eyes seem to like straight lines as in connect the dots versus an actual straight line.  Most players connect dots from the hosel to the toe of the club at the leading edge.  Place your golf club against a flat wall or base board.  More than likely you will see a gap.  Now, make the leading edge square to the wall.  Once you are done, pull the club away and it more than likely appear open.  This is a real problem if you hit a push draw but set up with a closed face to the target line.  

These explanations make sense. This is important awareness that I didn't have previously. I need to focus on what does it "look like" when the club is actually lined up properly, and then repeat that. I cannot rely on what my eyes think is proper, or I need to reteach myself what is proper.

• Like 1

Updated 4/27/2021

With everything shutdown still, I bought a practice net for my backyard, so I can now go out and practice any time. Will be recording my swings periodically to make sure I am implementing the right changes. Focus will be on making solid contact and hitting balls in the center of the clubface. I have some impact tape that I can use. I also need to make sure I practice with a purpose and not just beat balls.

• Like 2

Updated 4/27/2021

With all that is going on with Covid-19, Monte Scheinblum, one of the instructors I follow online and have taken an in-person lesson with, is offering a new online improvement plan. It is meant to supplement the online lessons and offer the ability to check-in on whether I am implementing my swing changes correctly, ask questions, etc.

Based on feedback I just received, my main issues are flat hip turn and hips/pelvis moving toward the ball in the backswing. This issue is then causing my problems with being steep in the downswing, etc. Going to work real hard on fixing this.

• Like 3

Updated 4/27/2021

Have been working on the hip issues and making some decent progress.

Had an ah-ha moment today. Yesterday, was watching some Monte Scheinblum videos, and one was about separating the arms from the chin in transition and downswing. This turned out to be a complete game changer for me. After making that change, everything was flush city in my backyard net. Although I couldn't see the ball flight, I know i was flushing it. Contact felt excellent, the height in which it hit the net was good, the ball started out ever slow slightly right of center (where it hit the net), etc. 

• Like 2

Updated 4/27/2021

On 4/8/2020 at 3:06 PM, dlow206 said:

Since everything is closed down here, not really much practicing I can do. One thing I have noticed based on video swings before the shut down was that my old habits are creeping back in of getting real steep again in transition. At one point, after taking one lesson with Monte Scheinblum, I was able to groove a much better swing, but I have started to lose the feel and get steep again.

For me to be able to effectively implement something, I need to have one or two specific feels that I can focus on. The "shallow" the shaft thoughts/feels haven't worked super well for me. I came across the video below, and it's a really interesting way to think about getting more shallow without actively trying to manipulate the shaft to be more shallow. I like how Mike Malaska explains things.

Good vid; and interestingly it parallels something that Monte actually teaches .. what he calls "drift forward" in transition .. like Malaska said instead of rotating the hips think of moving them straight towards the target.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Callaway Epic Speed 4W (Project X Cypher)
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 7W (Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway Super Hybrid 23 (PX Catalyst) and Big Bertha 19 5H (Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g, P2 Reflex Tour)
..all in a Datrek bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator

Was working on the swing again and continue having trouble with getting steep. So I emailed Monte to get some advice. The advice he gave was if directly behind the ball is 6 o'clock, I should be swinging on a path that is going through 8 o'clock. Here are my before and afters both today. The basketball in the second video is positioned roughly at 8 o'clock. The swing path feels like it is so far right that I am going to hit a huge push, put what I feel is much different than what is actually happening.

Before

After

Updated 4/27/2021

First day back out on the course in a few months. Was very rusty, backswing issues with my driver were causing snap hooks, it was rough. I know it is a backswing issue, because I tried this drill while out on the course from Monte Scheinblum where you do a couple of movements to set the backswing in the proper place, and then swing from there. I used the "drill" for a few holes where I set the backswing, paused, and then swung. Using that approach led to good shots off the tee. Need to work through my backswing.

• Like 2

Updated 4/27/2021