TESTERS WANTED! ×

[ Widgets] How do YOU want the MGS Forum to look?

STUDque

MGS User Interface Poll  

191 members have voted

1. 1. Which widgets do you find the most useful?

• 1) Featured Poll
    • 2) Global Golf's Trade In, Trade Up
    • 3) Daily Deals from Callaway Pre-Owned
    • 4) Sponsor Ads
    • 5) Daily Member Leaderboard
    • 6) Forum Member Birthdays
    • 7) Member Stats (total, most online, newest member)
    • 8) Recent Topics
    • 9) Latest from the Blog
    • 10) Latest Tweets
    • 11) Who's Online?
    • I don't find value in any widgets
    • One I'd like to see isn't listed (reply to this thread)

The clubs may be put away but MyGolfSpy is still hard at work.  The winter is the perfect opportunity for forum improvements so it's time to take a look at the forum user experience.  This can't be done in a vacuum and needs direct input.  In case you can't tell, MGS is ALL about honest feedback.  So give it to us straight.  We want to hear from YOU, the dedicated users.  This is the first in a series of member polls designed to help shape our forum's layout.  Topic: Widgets

You may be asking yourself, what is a Widget?  A widget is a little block we can display around the edges of the forum.  They take many different shapes and provide many different useful bits of information.  They're highly customizable and our site host has a robust catalog. Please take a few minutes out of your day to vote for the widgets you find the most useful on our forum. 

• The poll embedded in this thread can only be viewed on desktop or mobile browser  
  • It is multiple choice so feel free to vote for as many as you like
  • Let's get an interactive conversation going to discuss the pros and cons of each item
  • Feel free to browse the catalog and share widgets you'd love to see appear in our forum

To give a visual assist, here's a picture that contains all 11 widgets we currently use labeled according to their number in the poll:

Widget Legend.png

We'd like to offer a pre-emptive THANK YOU to everyone that provides feedback.  It's the people of this forum that make our community so great.

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Less is more. However I do frequently use recent posts and latest tweets; and I do like the birthdays widget—I think it’s a nice touch to the community as a whole to recognize everybody’s annual lap around the sun. 

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

6 minutes ago, JohnSmalls said:

Less is more. However I do frequently use recent posts and latest tweets; and I do like the birthdays widget—I think it’s a nice touch to the community as a whole to recognize everybody’s annual lap around the sun. 

This +2 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Not much of a widget man here. However, there is a bug I guess I'd call it that I'd like to see fixed. It could be my browser? (Chrome) but I don't know. Up at the top right and next to the search box it says (sometimes) TIMELINE. But that wording comes and goes (disappears). To get it back I have to refresh the page. I like to just click the word TIMELINE and the forum refreshes with the most recent topics at the top. Most of the time there is a submenu that drops down (and stays there) under TIMELINE covering whatever is below. Could be a browser? (Chrome) issue or it might be a glitch in the forum page. Anyway... it's annoying. I also would like to see the date next to topics showing when it was originally started and by whom. I believe the old forum used to show that.

As for widgets... Member Statistics are meaningless I think. For example today it shows 82,899 Total Members. Ok, so that many people have have created an account over the past 10 years or so and perhaps made a few posts. But for example, how many have even been on the Forum in the past day, month, year, many years? That'd be like me claiming for example that I have 82 thousand golfers play at my course when actually only 600 ever come back or are regulars. Misleading data. I'd wager if the 82,899 member list were cleaned (purged of accounts inactive for over a year) up there might only be a few hundred. Better would be showing active members defined by some metric. Same with Birthdays. I've looked at Birthdays and hovered over someones name only to see that they haven't been in the forum for years! (see purged accounts) Kinda dumb! Perhaps... maybe;... I'd be interested in live Tournament scores/leaderboards. Including major amature tournaments.

I voted that I don't find value in widgets.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Gotta agree here.
I have found that I use the app and mobile more than the desktop so widgets may not effect me.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

5 hours ago, jlukes said:

I chose no widgets 

The less clutter the better. 

Agreed. I'm not a fan of how long the polls stay up. 

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Less clutter for me. I feel the poll's are too prominent, and distract from the main content. I like the recent topics and latest from the blog. Recent tweets are a bit redundant, if you're on twitter and follow MGS, you get them anyway, a simple link to MGS twitter would be less clutter, but would still direct people there.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

I am more into the content so the extra information doesn't do a lot for me.  I do like the twitter feed,   even though I follow MGS I sometimes see new content in the evenings while I am at home and don't check twitter.  I did pick ads,  because I know ad revenue is necessary for a site to survive.  I also picked who's online as it is nice to see since it will give me an idea on how quickly I may get a response to something.    

I have seen people comment on the main MGS site, specifically the truegolffit popups..   Remember that the forum and the main MGS site is mostly separate.  Adam does check in here occasionally,  but I am pretty sure he lets the mods do their thing here and he manages the main sites content and look.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 12/21/2019 at 9:26 AM, PlaidJacket said:

Up at the top right and next to the search box it says (sometimes) TIMELINE. But that wording comes and goes (disappears). To get it back I have to refresh the page. I like to just click the word TIMELINE and the forum refreshes with the most recent topics at the top. Most of the time there is a submenu that drops down (and stays there) under TIMELINE covering whatever is below. Could be a browser? (Chrome) issue or it might be a glitch in the forum page.

Can confirm, this is a glitch we have no control over. I may be able to pull off a work around but will wait to see if Invision fixes it first. A major update is due Q1 2020. 

On 12/21/2019 at 10:39 AM, blackngold_blood said:

Gotta agree here.
I have found that I use the app and mobile more than the desktop so widgets may not effect me.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

FWIW, the widgets are still visible on mobile they're just located in different positions (usually at the bottom if you keep scrolling). Correct that you won't see them on the app. 

On 12/21/2019 at 11:15 AM, Middler said:

I don’t remember looking at any of the widgets. Having the featured poll open first when I go to forums wasn’t a big deal but not a welcome change IMO, I’ve never voted in one there, though I may on the forum

This point is well taken from you + other commenters. One thing I'd counter is the poll responses have increased exponentially since moving it to a prominent location. I'm not saying it'll stay where it is, but more votes = better polls. 

On 12/22/2019 at 6:37 AM, Peaksy68 said:

Recent tweets are a bit redundant, if you're on twitter and follow MGS, you get them anyway, a simple link to MGS twitter would be less clutter, but would still direct people there.

For sure, but don't forget that there's plenty of people here without Twitter at all or barely check it. 

22 hours ago, cnosil said:

I did pick ads,  because I know ad revenue is necessary for a site to survive. 

That's very noble of you 😀. We're working with the sponsors to come up with a new plan since I expect the ads will find new places on the site.

22 hours ago, cnosil said:

I have seen people comment on the main MGS site, specifically the truegolffit popups..   Remember that the forum and the main MGS site is mostly separate. 

+1. The popup is only on the main site, not forum. We don't have control over that one here but are glad to redirect comments on it (and have). 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Keep the great feedback coming! What else you guys got for us?

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

1 hour ago, GolfSpy STUDque said:

What else you guys got for us?

Not related to widgets, but in the thread where night mode was introduced, I had reported a bug where trying to view multi-page threads does not work. For the life of me, I can't find the thread now to link to my description of the problem, so here goes.... When in night mode, if I click "Next" (or the page number) to get to the next page, I get a chronic "Loading" message. It never loads, so the only way I have found to view multi-page threads is to click a page number, read page, click back, click number associated with next page, read page, click back, click number for the next page, etc. It's really very painful, so I gave up on night mode. I saw no confirmation that anyone else had the issue. Win10 Pro/Chrome in case it matters.

2 hours ago, MaxEntropy said:

Not related to widgets, but in the thread where night mode was introduced, I had reported a bug where trying to view multi-page threads does not work. For the life of me, I can't find the thread now to link to my description of the problem, so here goes.... When in night mode, if I click "Next" (or the page number) to get to the next page, I get a chronic "Loading" message. It never loads, so the only way I have found to view multi-page threads is to click a page number, read page, click back, click number associated with next page, read page, click back, click number for the next page, etc. It's really very painful, so I gave up on night mode. I saw no confirmation that anyone else had the issue. Win10 Pro/Chrome in case it matters.

post a screenshot if you can.

I switched to night mode and was able to navigate forward/back without any issues...
image.png

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

2 hours ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

post a screenshot if you can.

I switched to night mode and was able to navigate forward/back without any issues...
image.png

Windows 10 and Chrome and I can duplicate the issue.   Open the thread,  and hit the next button.  It will load the next page if i hit the browser refresh.   It looks like this:

image.thumb.png.79bbf9fd7d0253b44d58017b85ac4b28.png

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Thanks for the follow up... I'll bring this to the attention of the folks who maintain the site and see if there's anything they can do about it.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Windows 10 and Chrome and I can duplicate the issue.   Open the thread,  and hit the next button.  It will load the next page if i hit the browser refresh.   It looks like this:

image.thumb.png.79bbf9fd7d0253b44d58017b85ac4b28.png

Exactly. Thanks! 

At first I thought the question was about widgets you can place and customize on a smartphone screen - d'oh!

Like Peaksy and a few others, I also picked "Recent Topics" and "Latest From The Blog"; along with "Other" -- probably not doable via a hosted forum, but I'd also find "Topics I'm Following" useful. 

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg