Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Adams crown slots - can they be filled?

Hi spies,

I have an Adams superspeed LS 3 wood. You know the one...white crown, black face and sole but it has the visible slot on the crown. I really like the club but like the looks of the tight lies 2 where they mostly hid the slot and made it a "ghost slot". I was thinking of trying that same think on this club with something like Simpact 85a pourable urethane. The info states it stays flexible yet tough...sounds about right for this solution. Any thoughts?

I've tried other fw woods and this one refuses to leave the bag. At the end of the day, I can live with the slot but it would be nice if there was a viable solution for the look if it doesn't affect club performance. My thought is Adams did it so what could go wrong...probably a crap ton but just thought I'd ask. 

Thanks,

Detonator

[DISCLAIMER: I have no engineering qualifications at all.]

I have the same club in my collection, and I agree that it's an odd look. My big concern would be weight, and more particularly CG placement.

That cavity is not small. I'd be interested in knowing, with the product you mentioned, what the weight would be of the volume of that cavity. If it's more than a few grams, you're going to raise the CG. If I'm understanding this correctly, that will likely lower the ball flight and raise the spin rate.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

It would raise the CG. Whether it would raise it to a point of "frozen rope" shots is uncertain. I tend to have a pretty high ball flight from this club so it might be okay. I think you'll agree that the slot is also not terribly deep but does extend nearly the entire crown. Your point is well taken. I don't have enough engineering prowess to decipher how a slot in the crown increases ball speed at the face of the club. 

Interestingly, it appears that Adams covered the ghost slot in the tight lies 2 with the same paint used on the crown.

It's likely not worth the trouble. I just wondered if anyone tried it and what they experienced. 

My suggestion would be using something along the lines of the golf skins for woods. They come in different designs and shouldn’t effect the playing characteristics enough to notice.

As far as filling it with something, I wouldn’t think anything would stay in the cavity after more than a couple hits.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

• 5 months later...
On 12/21/2019 at 7:21 AM, Detonator said:

Hi spies,

I have an Adams superspeed LS 3 wood. You know the one...white crown, black face and sole but it has the visible slot on the crown. I really like the club but like the looks of the tight lies 2 where they mostly hid the slot and made it a "ghost slot". I was thinking of trying that same think on this club with something like Simpact 85a pourable urethane. The info states it stays flexible yet tough...sounds about right for this solution. Any thoughts?

I've tried other fw woods and this one refuses to leave the bag. At the end of the day, I can live with the slot but it would be nice if there was a viable solution for the look if it doesn't affect club performance. My thought is Adams did it so what could go wrong...probably a crap ton but just thought I'd ask. 

Thanks,

Detonator

I have the same 3 wood and the hybrid. I taped the head off except for the slot and painted over the ugly blue color they put in the slot with white and it gave it a better look without potentially altering the CG. My first instinct was to paint it red, but I decided to keep it understated.

Driver: :adams-small: Super Speedline S - 9.5 Diamana XS 60

3W & 3Hy: :adams-small: Super Speedline S - Stiff

Irons: :taylormade-small: RAC OS II - Stiff -  Standard loft/lie

Wedges::callaway-small: MD3 S-Grind 52, 56

Putter: :taylormade-small: TP Ardmore 3 - L Neck

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1X

Bag: :titelist-small: Players 4 Stand Bag

Fort Worth, TX- RH - 10 Handicap