Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Cheraw State Park Golf Course - South Carolina

Bowser

A golf buddy and I did a quick excursion from the cold of Canada to Cheraw state park for the first week of December.

What a really nice place to go (short 15 hour drive from Ottawa). We stayed at the cabins ($85 a night) but try and make sure you get an updated one as the one we had was a little 'tired' in some places like the bathroom. They are updating them as they go and most will be finished by next year but better safe and ask for an updated one.

18 holes with cart was only $25 (if you are staying at the park) and the replay rate was $18...for a Canadian who is use to paying for some fairly pricey golf in his home town this was like a gift.

The track itself was very nice but not over-seeded so you get use to playing of dormant fairways and hitting to painted greens (but they were rolled once and cut twice while we were there); the greens were quick and rolled very true so absolutely no complaints there. The sand traps could use a little more sand but again once you figure out the correct bounce angle and move some of the larger pebbles out the way it becomes second nature.

The track is your standard 'Carolina' course with tall stands of pine trees with beds of pine needles. Played 14 rds in 7 days and used 2 sleeves of balls (2 in the water, 3 throw out after hitting a cart path). So a good place to hang on to a golf ball. A couple of the holes were very similar but in general every hole was a different challenge with 13 standing out as the hardest hole with a downhill approach shot over water (guess where I misplaced 2 balls). I sure that playing from the tips would make this an extremely challenging track but playing from the whites was a good fun round for this golfer. I believe fun golf can never be overstated when travelling to play golf.

I can't say enough about the clubhouse staff and how friendly they are and how helpful they were with letting us go off first and off the back when it was crowded (one day).

I would recommend a stop-over here if possible for anyone driving down to Myrtle or other southern destinations. You will not regret the small detour. BTW only about 2 hrs from MB if you plan on making a day trip...

P.S. Leo's chicken wing joint in town is awesome. Little Mexican restaurant also provided good food and service.

@20xUnited this one is going on the list!

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

A golf buddy and I did a quick excursion from the cold of Canada to Cheraw state park for the first week of December.
What a really nice place to go (short 15 hour drive from Ottawa). We stayed at the cabins ($85 a night) but try and make sure you get an updated one as the one we had was a little 'tired' in some places like the bathroom. They are updating them as they go and most will be finished by next year but better safe and ask for an updated one.
18 holes with cart was only $25 (if you are staying at the park) and the replay rate was $18...for a Canadian who is use to paying for some fairly pricey golf in his home town this was like a gift.
The track itself was very nice but not over-seeded so you get use to playing of dormant fairways and hitting to painted greens (but they were rolled once and cut twice while we were there); the greens were quick and rolled very true so absolutely no complaints there. The sand traps could use a little more sand but again once you figure out the correct bounce angle and move some of the larger pebbles out the way it becomes second nature.
The track is your standard 'Carolina' course with tall stands of pine trees with beds of pine needles. Played 14 rds in 7 days and used 2 sleeves of balls (2 in the water, 3 throw out after hitting a cart path). So a good place to hang on to a golf ball. A couple of the holes were very similar but in general every hole was a different challenge with 13 standing out as the hardest hole with a downhill approach shot over water (guess where I misplaced 2 balls). I sure that playing from the tips would make this an extremely challenging track but playing from the whites was a good fun round for this golfer. I believe fun golf can never be overstated when travelling to play golf.
I can't say enough about the clubhouse staff and how friendly they are and how helpful they were with letting us go off first and off the back when it was crowded (one day).
I would recommend a stop-over here if possible for anyone driving down to Myrtle or other southern destinations. You will not regret the small detour. BTW only about 2 hrs from MB if you plan on making a day trip...

P.S. Leo's chicken wing joint in town is awesome. Little Mexican restaurant also provided good food and service.

I used to play at Cheraw about every three months with my buddies back when I lived in Charlotte 25 years ago. We always enjoyed it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

8 hours ago, PMookie said:

I used to play at Cheraw about every three months with my buddies back when I lived in Charlotte 25 years ago. We always enjoyed it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We used to do the same thing when I lived in Charlotte and later on when I lived in Gaffney SC----- I guess it has been over 20 years since I played it because I have been here at the beach 20 yearsand have not been back up that way to play it

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G