Indoor Putter Fitting?

Today I went to Club Champion(Charlotte, NC) for a putter fitting. I was unsure about getting fitted inside in a small area, much like the setup at a Golf Galaxy or Dicks, but the SAM Putt lab is what sold me on the idea. It didn’t hurt that it was 33% off during their winter promotion so I figured $67 was well worth the information I’d get.

In my 2 1/2 years in the game I’ve had one putter. An Odyssey White Hot Pro #1 that I'm quite fond of. I got it on clearance after spending some time rolling balls around at Golf Galaxy, something about it just felt right. I love my putter but I was ready to make a change if i had good reason to believe there was a better option for me.

Bruce Raffe was my fitter and he was great, highly recommended. I was actually surprised to find that a lot of the feelings I had were correct. Turns out all I needed was a length, loft and lie adjustment. He also added some weight to the butt of the shaft. I have a very straight backstroke and a slight arc stroke so my blade was close but it was too long and the lie was off. I also needed some loft with my natural forward press to get better roll. I noticed a difference as soon as he made the changes and the putt lab agreed. The biggest thing I got was better roll and I kept the face square longer. Sounds great to me.

Moral of the story, i feel like it was worth the money($118 total after the counter-balance weight and a new grip) to learn about my stroke and get my putter tweaked. I can’t wait to get out on the course to see some real results. Even though I still believe that a real putting green is best, i would highly recommend this type of fitting. If the putt lab had suggested a different type of putter, I wouldn’t buy one until I tried it on a real green. But in my case, this was enough to get me rolling the ball better and hopefully making more putts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Hey thanks for posting this. I was just about to ask about good putting fitters in the Charlotte, NC or Columbia, SC area. Sounds like you had a good experience there though. 

Driver: Callaway Rouge SZ 9* - Hzrdus Yellow 75 (6.0) - 44.5" 

3 Wood: Ping i15 15.5* - Ping TFC700 (stiff) - Standard length

4 Hybrid: Nickent 7DX 22* - Aldila R.I.P. (stiff) - Standard Length

Irons: Callaway Rouge Pro (CF18) 5 through AW - True Temper XP 105 - .5" short/ 2* up

Wedges: Callaway Mack Daddy 4 54* & 58* - True Temper Dynamic Gold S200 - 2* up

Putter: Odyssey #10 Triple Track

Ball: Bridgestone TourB X

Righty 

Blythewood, SC

12.0 Index

7 hours ago, RI_Redneck said:

Considering half of the game is played with the putter for most of us, it only makes sense that it should be one of the FIRST clubs you get fitted for! Odd how so many seem to forget about it.

BT

Some people will fit for every club in the bag and say that the putter is about looks and feel.   This approach works for lots of players since they don't want to think about anything mechanical and that getting fit would ruin their process.  I personally am a big proponent of getting fit for putters and understanding the how of my stroke.  Goal of fitting is to help you pick a putter that helps you accomplish what you need with the stroke.   I know people don't like indoor fittings, but everything you can do fitting wise can be done indoors.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Great write-up. Thanks for sharing your experience. I have had my hesitations about indoor fittings but the amount of data these systems can tell you is so much more then just rolling a few putts on a real green.

Using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

• 2 months later...

CC Needham Massachusetts 

I had an amazing experience here as well. SAM Putt Lab is a great tool, I wouldnt trust anyone fitting with naked eye on an outdoor green. IMO a putter fitting is way more about numbers than what someone sees on a putting green. 

CC in MA was a great clean spot, they had a great set up for full swing & putter fittings.  They also offered basically every club repair/upgrade option you could think of.  Andie Savel was my fitter, she was very knowledgeable and didn't push anything on me that i didn't feel comfortable with. She gave me all the answers to any question i asked and responded fast via email after my fitting as well. 

:callaway-small:  Epic Flash SZ 9* - HZRDS Yellow 65g X

:ping-small:  G410 Crossover - 17* 2i - Alta CB 70x

:callaway-small:   X-Forged 18 - PX6.5 - 2*UP - "Standard" Length & Lofts

:vokey-small:  SM7 Wedges - 50* - 54* - 60* 

:taylormade-small: TP Patina Series Del Mar - 35" - 2* Loft - 70* Lie

:bridgestone-small: Tour BX