Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Shot Alignment

fixyurdivot

What is your method for target alignment?  Are you more of a "feels right" set-up, or one who uses a spot between you and the target, or practice swing (where's my belt buckle headed).... or??? 

I'm kind of a feel player and usually get my alignment correct.  This past Monday my alignment was off most of the entire round.  One of my first instructors, when I was growing up, had me use my belly button/belt buckle direction on practice swings to check alignment. Over the years, I sort of moved away from any specific pre-shot routine.  Sometimes I take a practice swing, sometimes not.  I've started trying the "pick a spot on the ground" method but it hasn't proved that reliable.  I dunno, some days good alignment feels unconscious - don't even think much about it and they go where I want.  But other days (like Monday), I feel like I'm fighting it.  I've used an alignment club/stick on the range and my stance is pretty darn square, with shots going down that line.  I'm tempted to place a club down on the ground next round when I'm struggling with alignment.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I do similarly to Justin Rose: hold my club out in front of me to find a spot on the ground on the line I want my shot to go, then I set-up parallel to that spot. My set-up is usually spot-on in relation to the spot I picked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I keep things simple and quick. Generally it's my pre shot routine. I stand behind the ball in alignment with the intended shot take one or two swings/brushes visualizing the shot - address the ball, visualize/glance at my intended shot again (distance/target) and let it go. All this including measuring distance & selecting a club in about 35-40 seconds. If one is prepared and thinking about the game between shots a round can move along at a good pace. This also assumes you're not faced with a penalty - recovery or trouble shot of some kind. But still.... 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I hold up a club as well but not every time.  The tougher the alignment the more of a chance that I will hold the club up.  I will  visualize the shot, and then find a spot  close to my setup(divot, leaf, broken tee, or whatever), and line up to that. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Pick a spot and use that as a baseline to take my stance.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I always stand behind the ball and look at my target, then find a spot on my line just in front of my ball to set my face up in relation to.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Stand behind the ball, and pick a target line, which is either the flagstick, or something behind it for my intended target.  Off of the tee, same thing, except a spot where I aim down the fairway.

Once I have my target I line up my club behind the ball, and then take a full practice swing that simulates what the actual stroke will be like.  Then I fire away.  99% of the time the ball heads in the direction I intended it to.  But every so often it doesn't go as planned, due to something other then a bad swing.  When that happens I stand behind my divot and see where I actually hit the line of the divot on.  If my divot is off I adjust on the next shot or hole and I can usually self correct the next time I hit the ball.

Honestly, after 45 years of playing golf this is one part of the game I honestly don't even think about anymore.  It's something akin to flat out muscle memory.  And I doubt I could change my pre shot routine if I wanted to.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

Today I tried using the spot in front of the ball about 10 feet out.  That seemed to work pretty well - either that or I was just having a "good alignment day" 🙂.  It dosen't sound like anyone uses the practice swing belt buckle/belly button method...hey we're talking 1960's coaching sessions 😁.

I practice with a mat that is aligned to my target, so that when I play on the course correct alignment feels right. Always practice with an alignment stick or something, and always hit to a target. If you don’t, then bad alignment WILL sneak up on you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: TM M1 9.5*

4W: Wishon bent FLAT

Irons: Mizuno MP20MB

Wedges: 50/55/60 Mizuno

Putter: Evnroll ER2

Alignment is a double edged sword, maybe triple edged because there are feet and shoulders to get right and then also there is starting line and finishing line if you are curving your shot.

I like the behind the ball method - for whatever reason I have success picking a finishing target in the distance with my tee shots and a spot about 5 feet ahead of the ball on approach shots.

It could be that driver curves more.

I’m going with that thought at least

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

17 minutes ago, revkev said:

Alignment is a double edged sword, maybe triple edged because there are feet and shoulders to get right and then also there is starting line and finishing line if you are curving your shot.

I like the behind the ball method - for whatever reason I have success picking a finishing target in the distance with my tee shots and a spot about 5 feet ahead of the ball on approach shots.

It could be that driver curves more.

I’m going with that thought at least

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

It' really odd for me since getting the new arrows (driver and irons).  My historically soft fade ball flight is not as prominent/consistent - with significantly more straight and even slight draws.  This may be responsible for the alignment challenges.  On Monday, most everything was left early and I just started shifting my stance right to compensate.  But on a couple of shots doing this, I pulled them back left; likely because the "feel" part of me said I was off target 😖.  I need to spend some time on the range with an alignment stick.