Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Rife Island Series Abaco Putter Review

Addicted2Golf

I was in a local big box retailer last week hanging out in the putter section as I sometimes do. As I was browsing the putter rack, I recalled some tweets I exchanged with John Raser regarding Rife putters. I've been a Scotty Cameron loyalist and have been gaming a Studio Style Newport for four seasons now. Nothing has come close to knocking it out of the bag. I've demoed a couple of Rife's over the years and have always been impressed with the roll that their milled groove face technology puts on the ball and John echoed that sentiment during our chat. But, I could never find a style that I liked.

With that in mind, I ambled over to the Rife area and one putter immediately caught my attention. The Guerin Rife Abaco Island Series is a player's heel shafted mallet design with very clean lines at address. The 303 Stainless Steel head is 345 grams which is similar in weight to my Scotty. I played around with the Abaco for a good thirty minutes trying putts of various lengths from all over the green and the results were spectacular. The Rife Abaco fit my stroke very well and the patented grooves gave me a great confidence when it came to the level of control I had over the speed and break of my putts. And for someone who prefers blades, the players mallet design is a good compromise that still suites my eye while adding a bit more forgiveness.

I ordered the Rife Abaco in my preferred 35″ length and it will be my gamer heading into the 2010 season. As I spend more time with it, I will report back and provide more feedback.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

The Rife Abaco..

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

• 4 weeks later...

I've messed with that many a times at GG and Golfsmith. I think the roll grooves are on par with the Method or AGSI in terms of improving topspin, if you're into that kind of thing.

Seems like a big transition from a Plumbers neck to a heel shaft - how's the change working out so far?

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

that, my friend, is a clean, sleek looking putter. Im jealous of your acquisition

Thanks DJ. I fell in love with the grooves and the Abaco was the Rife putter that I liked the most from their current line.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

I've messed with that many a times at GG and Golfsmith. I think the roll grooves are on par with the Method or AGSI in terms of improving topspin, if you're into that kind of thing.

Seems like a big transition from a Plumbers neck to a heel shaft - how's the change working out so far?

Its a work in progress. I like the heel shaft because I feel like I can see down the line a little better. The players mallet head gives me some added forgiveness also.

The only thing I'm struggling with is the grooves impart such a good roll on the ball that I tend to blow it by the hole on intermediate range putts. And that is with the greens still being slow here. :lol:

But, honestly, I haven't spent much time with it so distance control will improve as we get to know each other better.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

I've always found the feel of Rife putters to be awesome. Do you think it is better than the Scotty you used to have?

Maybe a touch more forgiving, but more different than anything else. I've always putted with plumbers neck Anser style blade putters (since High School) so I wanted to try something different just to see how it would work for me. They are both outstanding instruments.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

I always miss right with this style of putter, but I love the look a bunch so I always keep trying them.

Did you try out the Bimini too?

Nooo... that is a little bit scary. I don't have FIGJAM's skills with the flatstick so I thought it prudent to go with the more forgiving model. A man has to know his limitations. :lol:

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Its a work in progress. I like the heel shaft because I feel like I can see down the line a little better. The players mallet head gives me some added forgiveness also.

The only thing I'm struggling with is the grooves impart such a good roll on the ball that I tend to blow it by the hole on intermediate range putts. And that is with the greens still being slow here. :lol:

But, honestly, I haven't spent much time with it so distance control will improve as we get to know each other better.

Distance control is the exact reason why I don't mess with any kind of top spin creating technology. I have an AGSI putter and it does not do well with longer putts. That said, it obviously works for lots of people.

• SPY VIP

Nooo... that is a little bit scary. I don't have FIGJAM's skills with the flatstick so I thought it prudent to go with the more forgiving model. A man has to know his limitations. <_>

I had the same thought on playing it, but the Bimini is beautiful. Feel the same way about the BC7. I want someone to putt well with it.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I had the same thought on playing it, but the Bimini is beautiful. Feel the same way about the BC7. I want someone to putt well with it.

Well, you're right about it being a beautiful putter and I'm not saying I didn't give it a run before deciding on the Abaco. But, you have to have a damn solid stroke to consistently putt well with it. If I had Lefty's technique and the time to practice then I'd be all over that or something similar to it. Just elegant in it's simplicity.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Well, you're right about it being a beautiful putter and I'm not saying I didn't give it a run before deciding on the Abaco. But, you have to have a damn solid stroke to consistently putt well with it. If I had Lefty's technique and the time to practice then I'd be all over that or something similar to it. Just elegant in it's simplicity.

Did you find that you were actually more consistent or just better with the Abaco versus the Bimini? For me, clubs with the same toe hang work about the same, I'm not terribly concerned with forgiveness.

Did you find that you were actually more consistent or just better with the Abaco versus the Bimini? For me, clubs with the same toe hang work about the same, I'm not terribly concerned with forgiveness.

I was better with the Abaco. I sunk putt after putt with it during the demo. That hasn't quite translated to the course yet but it's early still.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

If it's working, that's all that counts. Until it it unseated by a Byron, of course.

Yep, that's pretty much a no-brainer.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Archived