MrShowbiz999

Help Choosing Irons . . .

Our Sponsors

I am a 58-year-old beginner golfer. For the holidays, my wife is buying me a new set of irons (!!!) and I am trying to chose between the Cobra Oversize 4-PW/GW set and Bombtech 3.0 iron set (4-PW). Does anyone have any experience with these sets? Are they good for adult beginners? Their price points right now on sale are low and comparable, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, and happy holidays!

• Like 1

Stay clear of EVERYTHING Bombtech. 

The owner of the company is a snake oil salesman 

• Like 7

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 Plus Ping 9* VA Nemesys 65FIVE
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* VA Vylyn 75FIVE
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 49 F - 54 S - 59 D
:mizuno-small: M Craft II
:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

SuperSpeed Forum Tester
Initial Driver Speed on Provided Monitor: 109 MPH

40 minutes ago, MrShowbiz999 said:

I am a 58-year-old beginner golfer. For the holidays, my wife is buying me a new set of irons (!!!) and I am trying to chose between the Cobra Oversize 4-PW/GW set and Bombtech 3.0 iron set (4-PW). Does anyone have any experience with these sets? Are they good for adult beginners? Their price points right now on sale are low and comparable, so any help would be appreciated.

Not sure your level of golf skill but go to a golf fitter; not Dicks Sports or a big box store. Edwin Watts or PGA superstore, Golf Galaxy, or a local fitter will provide you with the best info for your skill set. Some golf fitters charge for a fitting, others dont. Usually they dont if you end up buying from them. Custom fitting is NOT ONLY for great players, it just matches your swing to the appropriate clubs and angles.

• Like 3

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :taylormade-small:  M4 with 60g Atmos red stiff shaft
  • 4-pw irons: :ping-small:  G710 with stiff KBS shafts (MGS Tester '20)
  • Wedges: 52, 56, 60 :titelist-small: SM5 & SM6
  • Putter: 34" :odyssey-small: 2-ball original with superstroke grip
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder (MGS Tester '19)
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

4 minutes ago, Middler said:

The OP said he’s a beginner. Nothing wrong with a free fitting, but it’s a waste of money for most beginners to pay for a fitting unless maybe they have WTF measurements like a 5’2” or less or 6’4” or more person. Fitting is great, but it’s not the silver bullet many make it out to be. Lessons, course management and practice will do more than fitting for 90% of players. Standard clubs are workable for 90% of us, especially beginners...

Right, i wouldn't necessarily PAY for a fitting right now but a fitter will know much more than your gold department big box associate on what will help. A fitter will have you try a few different clubs, ask questions, and can possibly try different free option shafts to help.

If its your fist set of clubs, finding some with large soles on the bottom will help get the ball airborne and offer much more forgiveness. Find a MAX forgiveness club.

• Like 2

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder (MGS Tester '19)

The other golf internet forums are buzzing about the Callaway Epic Forged iron, a domestic club priced like the JDM stuff on Tour Spec.  Lofts are super strong in relation to the club number stampings, perhaps, but not in relation to the lengths. The 18º 4-iron is as long as a driving iron.  Lie angle / length correlations are about 1º flatter than most, much like Mizunos.  The gaps spread to five degrees in the shorter irons and the wedges. Cosmetics are more subdued than on most GI irons.

I have to say, I haven't read a single negative review. A guy who wouldn't part with his Ping Eye 2s for thirty years shelled out three grand for a set of irons once he tried them.

It could be all hype, but I'm getting the vibe that these things are the real deal.  The people raving include some serious players.

Who knows what about them?

Edited by NiftyNiblick

Thanks, all, for your input. I currently have a very old set of Ping Eye 2's that are pretty difficult for me to hit. What I've read about the Cobra OS is that they are very forgiving, and for the price it's pretty hard to beat . . . unless they are not worth anything at all.

I have been taking golf lessons on and off for the last year from a local club pro that is helping me to learn the game, in addition to my boys airing me out now and then. I spend a lot of time on a grass driving range trying to practice what I am learning. A for-cost fitting at a pro place for me is overkill, as I am looking at sets that will cost me low $00's to get me going when Spring comes around (I live in NJ.) I certainly do not need a set of irons that will cost me $000's right now (or maybe ever). This is a frustrating game, but it is something I am committed to learning so that I can get good enough to go out for a round with my sons and hold my own (they actually play!)

Given all this . . . thoughts? And again, thanks for all your valued input.

• Like 5

Sounds like you are looking for Super-game improvement irons. My Golf Spy recommends the Cobra F-Max Superlite and the Tour Edge HL3

• Like 2

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

The Cobras arent bad.  You should also consider the Tommy Armour Atomics.  I believe they are marked down to around $250 now, which is a crazy deal.

• Like 6

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?:

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* and Top-Flite Gamer 2020 15*

Hybrid: Tommy Armour 845 19*

Irons: Pinemeadow ZR 3.0 5-PW

Wedges: Wilson Harmonized Black Chrome 52*, Tommy Armour VCG 56*, Wilson Harmonized 60* and Wilson Harmonized chipper

Putter: Wilson Augusta

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

There are many good options for you to choose from.  Last model years can often be had at significant discounts so long as you fit standard shaft length and lie.  PING G400's sound like they would be a good match and they are being offered at roughly 40% discount from original MSRP.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/ping-g400-black-dot-irons-steel-17pngmg400stl4wxxirn/17pngmg400stl4wxxirn

The Wilson D7's got great reviews and are a good value. https://www.carlsgolfland.com/wilson-d7-irons

I would definitely get a basic fitting done that checks your static/physical dimensions and strike plate test to establish lie.  Good luck!

• Like 3

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

If your looking at cobra , I just tried the new t rail hybrid/iron combo and liked them so much I got fitted and bought them . I have played the ping g700’s last 2 seasons and was just not “feeling it” can’t explain what it is but the cobras felt awesome with heaps of forgiveness. Seen a couple other posts on the new Cleveland launchers and also Wilson launch pad. Lots of new tech out this year for us hackers. The best advice I ever got was from these forms and it was to absolutely get fit for your clubs, get something that is set up for you and your swing.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

DRIVER -  Sim Max 10.5 lowered to 9.75 Ventus Red 5 S  shaft 

Woods -  Taylormade Sim Ti 3wood - Diamana reg 65

Taylormade  5 wood-  Ventus 6r 

Rescue/Hybrid -  

IRONS -  Callaway Mavrik 6- PW, AW   KBS 80 R steel 

WEDGES-  Vokey SM 8   50/54/58 

PUTTER-  Odyssey Stroke Lab Bird of Prey. 

BALL-  Pro V1x or Tp5X  -- trying to figure this one out.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe 

The Cobras arent bad.  You should also consider the Tommy Armour Atomics.  I believe they are marked down to around $250 now, which is a crazy deal.
If you're looking to get the best bang for your buck, I'm going to second this notion. The Atomics are easy to launch, go a long way, and are just fun to hit.

Sent from my SM-N975U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 4

On 12/30/2019 at 3:37 PM, ZenGolfer said:

Great suggestion here on the TA's.  Budget friendly for a quality set of irons. 

• Like 4

:titelist-small: TS1 10.5 Fubuki 45g Shaft

:taylormade-small: SIM Max 5w 18* Ventus Black 

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7,9 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T300 KBS TGI 80 5 iron thorugh 46 W2

:vokey-small: SM7 50.08, 54.08 and 58.14 

:scotty-small:  Phantom 5.5   35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

Posted (edited)

If I can purchase the Cobra's and the TA's for the exact same price, is there a preference from the crowd? $250.00 is a good number for me, given all the post-XMAS discounts going around. And I am thinking the Atomic MAX as they seem to have more forgiveness.

Edited by MrShowbiz999
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Great suggestion here on the TA's.  Budget friendly for a quality set of irons. 

I like mine now that Ive gotten a feel for distance on them.

• Like 1

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?:

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* and Top-Flite Gamer 2020 15*

Hybrid: Tommy Armour 845 19*

Irons: Pinemeadow ZR 3.0 5-PW

Wedges: Wilson Harmonized Black Chrome 52*, Tommy Armour VCG 56*, Wilson Harmonized 60* and Wilson Harmonized chipper

Putter: Wilson Augusta

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

There are many good options for you to choose from.  Last model years can often be had at significant discounts so long as you fit standard shaft length and lie.  PING G400's sound like they would be a good match and they are being offered at roughly 40% discount from original MSRP.
https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/ping-g400-black-dot-irons-steel-17pngmg400stl4wxxirn/17pngmg400stl4wxxirn
The Wilson D7's got great reviews and are a good value. https://www.carlsgolfland.com/wilson-d7-irons
I would definitely get a basic fitting done that checks your static/physical dimensions and strike plate test to establish lie.  Good luck!

ABSOLUTELY. Are you upright or flat? Standard length or other? Don’t think that the fitter will try to change your swing. Get clubs that fit the swing you have now (“Swing YOUR swing”, Arnie said...) and then when you improve, get better clubs better fit to your better swing.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 2

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

:bridgestone-small:  JGR 9.5*  Driver Graphite Design AD DI-6x 
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - AW)  KBS Tour 130x

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Wedges (54, 58)
MATI Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Mid Slim 2.0
:bridgestone-small: Tour B-RX

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 12:55 PM, blackngold_blood said:

I’m not sure your budget but check out @GolfSub70  They have amazing quality clubs at even better prices. The owner Jason goes above and beyond with customer service. 

I don't know where you are at in the process as I'm a bit late in the game.  If you were to call Jason and tell him about your game I willing be bet he could get you fit into a set of his clubs at a great price point (you'd be paying for new what you would pay for used.) 

If you went the used root I'd strongly suggest an older Ping G iron - G30 or plain G.  Use their online fitting and that should get you in the ball park. 

Good luck - let us know where you land.

• Like 3

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Alpha Distanza 40 weak R flex shaft

Tour Exotics EX 10 3 wood

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Good morning All . . . 

Once again, thanks for your input to my decision process. Based on recommendation and cost, and the ability to actually get my hands on said club(s) to hit a bucket, I have opted to purchase the Tommy Armour Atomic MAX irons. I've read your feedback and researched all the ones you folks recommended, and the Atomic MAX faired best FOR ME. Again, I am an older beginner and I wanted a set of clubs that would be fairly forgiving and not break the bank at the moment. This set of irons includes the 4 - 9, PW, and AW, and with a Golf Galaxy discount promo applied to the overall cost, I was able to get a Tommy Armour Over N' Out Wedge for nearly $0.00, basically completing my iron set.

Again, thanks for your input, and I anxiously await Spring in NJ to take these out to the links.

Marty!

• Like 5

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 12:27 PM, MrShowbiz999 said:

go P790 from TM...….you will love them