TESTERS WANTED! ×

Help Choosing Irons . . .

MrShowbiz999

I am a 58-year-old beginner golfer. For the holidays, my wife is buying me a new set of irons (!!!) and I am trying to chose between the Cobra Oversize 4-PW/GW set and Bombtech 3.0 iron set (4-PW). Does anyone have any experience with these sets? Are they good for adult beginners? Their price points right now on sale are low and comparable, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, and happy holidays!

Marty

Krank Golf f11xx driver

Cobra Golf Fairway Woods (3, 5)

Tommy Armour Atomic Max Irons (4 - 9)

Tommy Armour Wedges (A, S, G, P)

Odyssey Works Versa Marxman Fang Putter

Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi Hybrid (4 & 7)

40 minutes ago, MrShowbiz999 said:

I am a 58-year-old beginner golfer. For the holidays, my wife is buying me a new set of irons (!!!) and I am trying to chose between the Cobra Oversize 4-PW/GW set and Bombtech 3.0 iron set (4-PW). Does anyone have any experience with these sets? Are they good for adult beginners? Their price points right now on sale are low and comparable, so any help would be appreciated.

Not sure your level of golf skill but go to a golf fitter; not Dicks Sports or a big box store. Edwin Watts or PGA superstore, Golf Galaxy, or a local fitter will provide you with the best info for your skill set. Some golf fitters charge for a fitting, others dont. Usually they dont if you end up buying from them. Custom fitting is NOT ONLY for great players, it just matches your swing to the appropriate clubs and angles.

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

4 minutes ago, Middler said:

The OP said he’s a beginner. Nothing wrong with a free fitting, but it’s a waste of money for most beginners to pay for a fitting unless maybe they have WTF measurements like a 5’2” or less or 6’4” or more person. Fitting is great, but it’s not the silver bullet many make it out to be. Lessons, course management and practice will do more than fitting for 90% of players. Standard clubs are workable for 90% of us, especially beginners...

Right, i wouldn't necessarily PAY for a fitting right now but a fitter will know much more than your gold department big box associate on what will help. A fitter will have you try a few different clubs, ask questions, and can possibly try different free option shafts to help.

If its your fist set of clubs, finding some with large soles on the bottom will help get the ball airborne and offer much more forgiveness. Find a MAX forgiveness club.

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

The other golf internet forums are buzzing about the Callaway Epic Forged iron, a domestic club priced like the JDM stuff on Tour Spec.  Lofts are super strong in relation to the club number stampings, perhaps, but not in relation to the lengths. The 18º 4-iron is as long as a driving iron.  Lie angle / length correlations are about 1º flatter than most, much like Mizunos.  The gaps spread to five degrees in the shorter irons and the wedges. Cosmetics are more subdued than on most GI irons.

I have to say, I haven't read a single negative review. A guy who wouldn't part with his Ping Eye 2s for thirty years shelled out three grand for a set of irons once he tried them.

It could be all hype, but I'm getting the vibe that these things are the real deal.  The people raving include some serious players.

Who knows what about them?

Edited by NiftyNiblick

Thanks, all, for your input. I currently have a very old set of Ping Eye 2's that are pretty difficult for me to hit. What I've read about the Cobra OS is that they are very forgiving, and for the price it's pretty hard to beat . . . unless they are not worth anything at all.

I have been taking golf lessons on and off for the last year from a local club pro that is helping me to learn the game, in addition to my boys airing me out now and then. I spend a lot of time on a grass driving range trying to practice what I am learning. A for-cost fitting at a pro place for me is overkill, as I am looking at sets that will cost me low $00's to get me going when Spring comes around (I live in NJ.) I certainly do not need a set of irons that will cost me $000's right now (or maybe ever). This is a frustrating game, but it is something I am committed to learning so that I can get good enough to go out for a round with my sons and hold my own (they actually play!)

Given all this . . . thoughts? And again, thanks for all your valued input.

Marty

Krank Golf f11xx driver

Sounds like you are looking for Super-game improvement irons. My Golf Spy recommends the Cobra F-Max Superlite and the Tour Edge HL3

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

The Cobras arent bad.  You should also consider the Tommy Armour Atomics.  I believe they are marked down to around $250 now, which is a crazy deal.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

There are many good options for you to choose from.  Last model years can often be had at significant discounts so long as you fit standard shaft length and lie.  PING G400's sound like they would be a good match and they are being offered at roughly 40% discount from original MSRP.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/ping-g400-black-dot-irons-steel-17pngmg400stl4wxxirn/17pngmg400stl4wxxirn

The Wilson D7's got great reviews and are a good value. https://www.carlsgolfland.com/wilson-d7-irons

I would definitely get a basic fitting done that checks your static/physical dimensions and strike plate test to establish lie.  Good luck!

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

If your looking at cobra , I just tried the new t rail hybrid/iron combo and liked them so much I got fitted and bought them . I have played the ping g700’s last 2 seasons and was just not “feeling it” can’t explain what it is but the cobras felt awesome with heaps of forgiveness. Seen a couple other posts on the new Cleveland launchers and also Wilson launch pad. Lots of new tech out this year for us hackers. The best advice I ever got was from these forms and it was to absolutely get fit for your clubs, get something that is set up for you and your swing.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

DRIVER -  Ping G425 SFT Driver Tensei AV 55 Orange Reg Flex 

Woods -  Ping G425 7 wood  Tensei AV 65 Orange Reg Flex 

Irons - Cobra Rad Speed 1 Length UST Recoil 780 Smacwrap Graphite Reg Flex 

WEDGES-  Callaway jaws 52/56/60

PUTTER-  Taylormade FCG spider putter 34" 

BALL-  Pro V1x or Tp5X  -- trying to figure this one out.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe 

The Cobras arent bad.  You should also consider the Tommy Armour Atomics.  I believe they are marked down to around $250 now, which is a crazy deal.
If you're looking to get the best bang for your buck, I'm going to second this notion. The Atomics are easy to launch, go a long way, and are just fun to hit.

Sent from my SM-N975U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

On 12/30/2019 at 3:37 PM, ZenGolfer said:

Great suggestion here on the TA's.  Budget friendly for a quality set of irons. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

If I can purchase the Cobra's and the TA's for the exact same price, is there a preference from the crowd? $250.00 is a good number for me, given all the post-XMAS discounts going around. And I am thinking the Atomic MAX as they seem to have more forgiveness.

Edited by MrShowbiz999

Marty

Krank Golf f11xx driver

12 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Great suggestion here on the TA's.  Budget friendly for a quality set of irons. 

I like mine now that Ive gotten a feel for distance on them.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

There are many good options for you to choose from.  Last model years can often be had at significant discounts so long as you fit standard shaft length and lie.  PING G400's sound like they would be a good match and they are being offered at roughly 40% discount from original MSRP.
https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/ping-g400-black-dot-irons-steel-17pngmg400stl4wxxirn/17pngmg400stl4wxxirn
The Wilson D7's got great reviews and are a good value. https://www.carlsgolfland.com/wilson-d7-irons
I would definitely get a basic fitting done that checks your static/physical dimensions and strike plate test to establish lie.  Good luck!

ABSOLUTELY. Are you upright or flat? Standard length or other? Don’t think that the fitter will try to change your swing. Get clubs that fit the swing you have now (“Swing YOUR swing”, Arnie said...) and then when you improve, get better clubs better fit to your better swing.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 12:55 PM, blackngold_blood said:

I’m not sure your budget but check out @GolfSub70  They have amazing quality clubs at even better prices. The owner Jason goes above and beyond with customer service. 

I don't know where you are at in the process as I'm a bit late in the game.  If you were to call Jason and tell him about your game I willing be bet he could get you fit into a set of his clubs at a great price point (you'd be paying for new what you would pay for used.) 

If you went the used root I'd strongly suggest an older Ping G iron - G30 or plain G.  Use their online fitting and that should get you in the ball park. 

Good luck - let us know where you land.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Good morning All . . . 

Once again, thanks for your input to my decision process. Based on recommendation and cost, and the ability to actually get my hands on said club(s) to hit a bucket, I have opted to purchase the Tommy Armour Atomic MAX irons. I've read your feedback and researched all the ones you folks recommended, and the Atomic MAX faired best FOR ME. Again, I am an older beginner and I wanted a set of clubs that would be fairly forgiving and not break the bank at the moment. This set of irons includes the 4 - 9, PW, and AW, and with a Golf Galaxy discount promo applied to the overall cost, I was able to get a Tommy Armour Over N' Out Wedge for nearly $0.00, basically completing my iron set.

Again, thanks for your input, and I anxiously await Spring in NJ to take these out to the links.

Marty!

Marty

Krank Golf f11xx driver

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 12:27 PM, MrShowbiz999 said:

go P790 from TM...….you will love them

Golf is cool

10 hours ago, MrShowbiz999 said:

Good morning All . . . 

Once again, thanks for your input to my decision process. Based on recommendation and cost, and the ability to actually get my hands on said club(s) to hit a bucket, I have opted to purchase the Tommy Armour Atomic MAX irons. I've read your feedback and researched all the ones you folks recommended, and the Atomic MAX faired best FOR ME. Again, I am an older beginner and I wanted a set of clubs that would be fairly forgiving and not break the bank at the moment. This set of irons includes the 4 - 9, PW, and AW, and with a Golf Galaxy discount promo applied to the overall cost, I was able to get a Tommy Armour Over N' Out Wedge for nearly $0.00, basically completing my iron set.

Again, thanks for your input, and I anxiously await Spring in NJ to take these out to the links.

Marty!

did u purchase these yet? if not let me know. I have something for you. a free set if you just review them. Tommy Armours.  trying to pay it forward

Edited by Tsecor

Golf is cool

2 hours ago, MrShowbiz999 said:

Good morning All . . . 

Marty!

Congrats on your purchase!  Sounds like you found something that works best for you and was within your budget.  I love getting new irons - such an exciting time!

Can't wait to hear how you get along with them.  Please keep us up to date and jump in on the forum with any questions/comments/thoughts, etc. you might have.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

21 hours ago, Tsecor said:

did u purchase these yet? if not let me know. I have something for you. a free set if you just review them. Tommy Armours.  trying to pay it forward

I'm in . . . please tell me more!

Marty

Krank Golf f11xx driver

1 hour ago, MrShowbiz999 said:

I'm in . . . please tell me more!

see the testing section for the Tommy Armour Atomic Irons for details. If you want the Irons, ill send them to you if you get with the Admins of the site to set up a review. 

if you just want them to have, we can work something out very cheap. 

Golf is cool

2 hours ago, Tsecor said:

see the testing section for the Tommy Armour Atomic Irons for details. If you want the Irons, ill send them to you if you get with the Admins of the site to set up a review. 

if you just want them to have, we can work something out very cheap. 

Sorry, can't find what you are referring to. Can you please provide a link to the Tommy Armour Testing section?

Marty

Krank Golf f11xx driver

Sorry, can't find what you are referring to. Can you please provide a link to the Tommy Armour Testing section?

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/32823-2019-official-forum-member-review-tommy-armour-atomic-irons/

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• 1 month later...

Give Sub70 a strong look!

Edited by Jtom2012

Driver- Cobra Speedzone 9° default_cobra-small.jpg.bf0039c0fa211a003217e70e184035fa.jpg

Woods- Sub70 Pro 5-Wood   08e84065c69a5a06ed8fec52d91a.jpg.08662cdc8041ba1124fe725b926a5e95.jpg  

Utility- Titleist 718 T-MB 4 Utility  default_titelist-small.jpg.d620943db19c6c6f477d78c3e6dcfb1b.jpg

Irons- Sub70 649 MB Tour 5-PW, 699 Pro 2U  08e84065c69a5a06ed8fec52d91a.jpg.08662cdc8041ba1124fe725b926a5e95.jpg

Wedges- Cleveland Zipcore RTX 52°,56°, 60°  default_cleveland-small.jpg.0615c53919b7f92c3524630e353b33bb.jpg

Putter- Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2 default_cameron-small.gif.dd99234f0267bb38c40c23053034a445.gif

Ball- Titleist ProV1x default_titelist-small.jpg.d620943db19c6c6f477d78c3e6dcfb1b.jpg  

On 1/13/2020 at 8:54 AM, MrShowbiz999 said:

Good morning All . . . 

Marty!

Great choice

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/30/2019 at 9:27 AM, MrShowbiz999 said:

Try one length, Global golf will do a trial of a full set for a low cost. 

Ping G430 Max 9* turned up to 10* in draw setting X-Stiff Ping Tour Chrome 2.0 60

Srixon ZX 3w Ventus Velocore Blue 7s

Ping G425 5w X-Stiff Ping Tour 70 

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

Srixon ZX& 7-PW  Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 50* 54* 58* TrueTemper Dynamic Gold Spinner

See the source image Phantom X5 Putter

Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond <>