Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

New Year's Golf Resolutions for 2020

Mr. 82

1 hour ago, GSwag said:

I resolve to achieve the following in 2020:

And to write shorter comments and posts. LOL And from the looks of things you're already on your way. 😋

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

5 hours ago, PlaidJacket said:

And to write shorter comments and posts. LOL And from the looks of things you're already on your way. 😋

Which leads me to this thought, if I post less often, and maybe a lot less, and everyone follows this trend, wouldn't that eventually lead to the end of the MGS forum?  I mean if everyone took your advice, pretty soon we'd all be sitting around surfing a forum with no new threads, and no new comments, and pretty soon everyone would just stop coming here.  Is that what you want, because Lord knows I've left a number of online forums for similar criticism.  Isn't the point of any online forum to create conversation, threads, thoughts and opinions?  Is it really a negative because I spend a lot of time here?  I can certainly give of my time in other places and to other people if this is the prevailing opinion here.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

10 hours ago, GSwag said:

Which leads me to this thought, if I post less often, and maybe a lot less, and everyone follows this trend, wouldn't that eventually lead to the end of the MGS forum?  I mean if everyone took your advice, pretty soon we'd all be sitting around surfing a forum with no new threads, and no new comments, and pretty soon everyone would just stop coming here.  Is that what you want, because Lord knows I've left a number of online forums for similar criticism.  Isn't the point of any online forum to create conversation, threads, thoughts and opinions?  Is it really a negative because I spend a lot of time here?  I can certainly give of my time in other places and to other people if this is the prevailing opinion here.

I apologize Swag but - you completely missed my point and shouldn't have deleted your post above. My reply/comment to your topic was meant in friendly jest. I wish you hadn't deleted it. 

Anyway... best wishes and Happy New Year!

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

21 hours ago, GSwag said:
I resolve to achieve the following in 2020

In 2020, I'd like to lower my HDCP index from 13.5 to 12. I endeavor to do this by practicing my short game more often and focusing on this diligently. Slow down, breathe deeper, and process these shots before executing the stroke. Patience is key.

Sent from my SM-N920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Edited by J.B. TexasEx

My :1590477705_SunMountain: C-130 cart bag currently includes;

Driver: :srixon-small: z565 10.5*, Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6 S-Flex
Fairways:  :callaway-small: X-Hot 15* & 18*, Project X PXv R-Flex
Irons: :benhogan-small:Apex Plus, 4-PW, Apex S4-Flex
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CG10; 50*, 54*, 58*, Dynamic Gold W-flex 

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro Blade #2
Grips: Golf Pride MCC-Plus 4 & Lamkin UTx
Ball: Kirkland Signature 3-Piece 

Same resolution I make every year... keep your ever loving, frigging head down.  I'll take a flushed duck hook, sent into places never to be seen again, over those aggravating muff chips 😬

Concerning the OP, clearly I missed something and from @PlaidJacketresponse sounds like a joke gone awry.  Keep em coming @GSwag.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I think I actually have one...

I need to try and tighten up my approaches. I've been saying this a lot to myself lately during rounds. Don't we all? I get that that not every approach can be in a 10' circle but it seems the past few months I've found my shots resting around the perimeter of the green all too often. Which says I'm just barely on and usually a long way from the hole. I admit I haven't been practicing and I suppose that might do me some good. So there! I made a resolution. 🏌️‍♂️

38 minutes ago, PlaidJacket said:

I think I actually have one...

I need to try and tighten up my approaches. I've been saying this a lot to myself lately during rounds. Don't we all? I get that that not every approach can be in a 10' circle but it seems the past few months I've found my shots resting around the perimeter of the green all too often. Which says I'm just barely on and usually a long way from the hole. I admit I haven't been practicing and I suppose that might do me some good. So there! I made a resolution. 🏌️‍♂️

Sadly, I share your plight.  Adding insult to injury, my practice chipping is often better than on the course performance 😏.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

In 2020, I'm going to try to play the way I caddy.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

7 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Same resolution I make every year... keep your ever loving, frigging head down.  I'll take a flushed duck hook, sent into places never to be seen again, over those aggravating muff chips 😬

Concerning the OP, clearly I missed something and from @PlaidJacketresponse sounds like a joke gone awry.  Keep em coming @GSwag.

Remember when you look up, you screw up. Or you're gonna see a bad shot.

Hell, I hit a top, chunk, and shank today. Happy New Year!

My :1590477705_SunMountain: C-130 cart bag currently includes;

Driver: :srixon-small: z565 10.5*, Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6 S-Flex
Fairways:  :callaway-small: X-Hot 15* & 18*, Project X PXv R-Flex
Irons: :benhogan-small:Apex Plus, 4-PW, Apex S4-Flex
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CG10; 50*, 54*, 58*, Dynamic Gold W-flex 

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro Blade #2
Grips: Golf Pride MCC-Plus 4 & Lamkin UTx
Ball: Kirkland Signature 3-Piece 

I resolve to play more rounds with my son & my dad, and have more fun out there. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I’ve never made them. But I have a goal in-mind...

I plan on getting my GHIN back below 7, and I’ve already paid for a years worth of lessons for 2020. Question is if I’ll have the time to put-in the necessary changes, and get to the course to work on them. There’s only so much I can do in the back yard with a mat and a net.
My clubs will travel with me each week on my overnights. If I can get in one round on the road a week, that will serve me well this summer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Bogey Free Round. 

Scratch or better for longer than a month.

Competitive in tournaments.

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Play more!

If I find time to do that everything else will fall into place.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Same resolution every year, play more. I have not made my resolution for the last 5-6 years.😦

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

I resolve to not be so negative when I play.  My wife calls me Eeyore.  As long as I play well, I'm fine.  When my game goes south, my attitude changes... for the worse.  I need to just be happy that at my age, I can still play golf!

I resolve to play golf with MyGolfSpy members.  I was fortunate to play with four new Spys this last year.  Hopefully, I will be able to play with more this year.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Oh, this season is going to be different. 

Playing out of a 22.1 index (down from whatever max is when I took up the game in 2012). I'm not sure what a reasonable and achievable reduction would be...20, 18, 10...scratch? 😂 

1b. Putt better. I'm not sure how to get there; maybe a fitting, maybe better mechanics with my current. I'm losing WAY too many strokes on the green. You know the ones...8 feet past then 2 feet short. 

2. Get over hit impulse. I bought a GForce trainer to help with this and I think it'll help a lot. I'll probably do some work with a metronome with it. Tempo is my arch nemesis; which leads to my tragically inconsistent shots and scores. 

Any advice, please reach out. 

1 hour ago, Detonator said:

Oh, this season is going to be different. 

Playing out of a 22.1 index (down from whatever max is when I took up the game in 2012). I'm not sure what a reasonable and achievable reduction would be...20, 18, 10...scratch? 😂 

1b. Putt better. I'm not sure how to get there; maybe a fitting, maybe better mechanics with my current. I'm losing WAY too many strokes on the green. You know the ones...8 feet past then 2 feet short. 

2. Get over hit impulse. I bought a GForce trainer to help with this and I think it'll help a lot. I'll probably do some work with a metronome with it. Tempo is my arch nemesis; which leads to my tragically inconsistent shots and scores. 

Any advice, please reach out. 

Well... since you asked!!   I was where you are about 20+ years ago.  It does take work, but IMHO it's not that hard to get to 15-17 index.  From there it takes more effort.

If you are losing WAY too many strokes on the green, then you need a few short game lessons.  See your pro; it's worth the money for a lesson or two to understand what you should be doing instead of what you are doing.  The pro will analyze your stroke; make a suggestion or two, then it's lots of practice.  The pro should be able to tell if your putter is right for you or not (length/lie), but I suggest holding off on the putter fitting until you get your stroke in better shape with the pro.  It could change, and then that new putter might not be the best for you.  A good putter of the ball can putt reasonably with any putter, but a bad putter of the ball won't be much better after a putter fitting.  The pro will give you some putting drills.  You can also do a search on the forum here for putting drills; lots of good discussions.  All are great drills.

I mentioned short game lessons, not just putting lessons.  We all miss greens; higher index players miss more greens.  Having good technique to get your ball closer to the hole from off the green will also help your putting stats.  There are many short game shots, but focus on only a few to start with, otherwise it can be confusing.  Clubs used, the ball you are using, setup, body mechanics, impact, and followthrough can vary depending on the yardage, lie, and location of the pin.  Here's where the pro can help.  The "bump and run" or chip shot is a good one to master; it can save many strokes.  You also need a short pitch shot because the chip shot is not always possible.  To be a bogey golfer it's critical to get all shots around the green... ON the green in one shot; the closer to the hole, the better.  Then your putter has to take over; no 3-putts!!

I'm not a range rat; I don't like pounding balls.  I only do it when I need to focus on a specific swing issue.  However, I really like short game practice because there are so many options available to get the ball on the green.  I like to change shots to see how the ball reacts under various lie conditions.  While I know I could be better, I also know that when I am on the course with a difficult lie, I do not feel uncomfortable with the shot and know that I can get the ball on the green  Confidence is huge, which is why practice is critical.  

Always remember:   When off the green, Putt when you can... Chip when you can't Putt... and Pitch when you have to.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

2 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Well... since you asked!!   I was where you are about 20+ years ago.  It does take work, but IMHO it's not that hard to get to 15-17 index.  From there it takes more effort.

If you are losing WAY too many strokes on the green, then you need a few short game lessons.  See your pro; it's worth the money for a lesson or two to understand what you should be doing instead of what you are doing.  The pro will analyze your stroke; make a suggestion or two, then it's lots of practice.  The pro should be able to tell if your putter is right for you or not (length/lie), but I suggest holding off on the putter fitting until you get your stroke in better shape with the pro.  It could change, and then that new putter might not be the best for you.  A good putter of the ball can putt reasonably with any putter, but a bad putter of the ball won't be much better after a putter fitting.  The pro will give you some putting drills.  You can also do a search on the forum here for putting drills; lots of good discussions.  All are great drills.

I mentioned short game lessons, not just putting lessons.  We all miss greens; higher index players miss more greens.  Having good technique to get your ball closer to the hole from off the green will also help your putting stats.  There are many short game shots, but focus on only a few to start with, otherwise it can be confusing.  Clubs used, the ball you are using, setup, body mechanics, impact, and followthrough can vary depending on the yardage, lie, and location of the pin.  Here's where the pro can help.  The "bump and run" or chip shot is a good one to master; it can save many strokes.  You also need a short pitch shot because the chip shot is not always possible.  To be a bogey golfer it's critical to get all shots around the green... ON the green in one shot; the closer to the hole, the better.  Then your putter has to take over; no 3-putts!!

I'm not a range rat; I don't like pounding balls.  I only do it when I need to focus on a specific swing issue.  However, I really like short game practice because there are so many options available to get the ball on the green.  I like to change shots to see how the ball reacts under various lie conditions.  While I know I could be better, I also know that when I am on the course with a difficult lie, I do not feel uncomfortable with the shot and know that I can get the ball on the green  Confidence is huge, which is why pra

Always remember:   When off the green, Putt when you can... Chip when you can't Putt... and Pitch when you have to.

The wise words of Gary Player. I do those things. My short game is typically the strong suit of my game. I have a range mat in my yard and can practice chips, pitches and flops. My bunker play has gotten much stronger. 

I have found a local pro I like. He's my third...one was a clinic type with no individual correction and one tried to rip me off constantly saying I was out of lessons. I'd say my only gripe is it's tough to get in to see my coach. He doesn't use any modern analytics...just watches the swing and suggests changes. Interestingly, I had a very strong grip when I started and never, and I mean NEVER, hit the left side of a golf course...not once. He turned it to neutral and the magic happened. I didn't think I'd ever get used to that grip but for me it helps get the face closed...I think I'm the exception and not the rule. 

I had a Cleveland putter that I was starting to get used to. Then someone lifted it from my bag on the range. I replaced it with a Wilson Staff Vizor. I suspect the face insert might account for some of my putting woes. I can generally find a decent line, speed is a very different story. 

1 hour ago, Detonator said:

The wise words of Gary Player. I do those things. My short game is typically the strong suit of my game. I have a range mat in my yard and can practice chips, pitches and flops. My bunker play has gotten much stronger. 

I have found a local pro I like. He's my third...one was a clinic type with no individual correction and one tried to rip me off constantly saying I was out of lessons. I'd say my only gripe is it's tough to get in to see my coach. He doesn't use any modern analytics...just watches the swing and suggests changes. Interestingly, I had a very strong grip when I started and never, and I mean NEVER, hit the left side of a golf course...not once. He turned it to neutral and the magic happened. I didn't think I'd ever get used to that grip but for me it helps get the face closed...I think I'm the exception and not the rule. 

I had a Cleveland putter that I was starting to get used to. Then someone lifted it from my bag on the range. I replaced it with a Wilson Staff Vizor. I suspect the face insert might account for some of my putting woes. I can generally find a decent line, speed is a very different story. 

Sounds like you are on the right track.  A pro you like is a tremendous asset.  Some of the best ones don't need the modern stuff.  

Speed was always my problem too, and speed is critical.  I had the problem of releasing the putter like other clubs... flipping.  Once I fixed that, I could control the speed better.  That may not be your problem; that's what the pro will determine.  Tighten up the putting and it sounds like lower scores are in your future.  Keep at it!!

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

Sounds like you are on the right track.  A pro you like is a tremendous asset.  Some of the best ones don't need the modern stuff.  

Speed was always my problem too, and speed is critical.  I had the problem of releasing the putter like other clubs... flipping.  Once I fixed that, I could control the speed better.  That may not be your problem; that's what the pro will determine.  Tighten up the putting and it sounds like lower scores are in your future.  Keep at it!!

I mean, to your point, my wedge game could definitely improve and it's hard to judge how chips are going to react in my backyard vs on course. There are many, many, many flaws in my swing. I'm reeeeeeeaaaalllly trying to simplify my game to make it more fun and less physically painful. 

Going to my pro is sometimes like when your car makes that noise and you take it to the mechanic...you know how that story ends. Haha

I tend to use a SBST stroke. I tested my impact spot recently and I hit center about 55% of the time. Center toe 35 and center heel 15%. It seems like a center heel strike creates way more distance than center toe. That lends me to think another putter or really concentrated effort to hit a center. 

Edited by Detonator

25 minutes ago, Detonator said:

I mean, to your point, my wedge game could definitely improve and it's hard to judge how chips are going to react in my backyard vs on course. There are many, many, many flaws in my swing. I'm reeeeeeeaaaalllly trying to simplify my game to make it more fun and less physically painful. 

Going to my pro is sometimes like when your car makes that noise and you take it to the mechanic...you know how that story ends. Haha

I tend to use a SBST stroke. I tested my impact spot recently and I hit center about 55% of the time. Center toe 35 and center heel 15%. It seems like a center heel strike creates way more distance than center toe. That lends me to think another putter or really concentrated effort to hit a center. 

Well, the grass on the course is certainly different than grass in the backyard!  It is in my area.  It's why I spend my practice time at the course.  Establishing feel for the shot from typical lies is very helpful when playing.  However, if there is a flaw in your swing, get it fixed.  Practicing with the flaw doesn't help in the long run.

Most people who think they have a SBST putting stroke typically don't.  I was one of them.  That stroke is extremely difficult to keep straight without manipulation that will result in poor control.  Most people will have some arc going back and going forward.  For a short strokes it will be close to SBST, but the stroke will arc at some point on longer putts.  With that much variation in center contact, it seems to me that you have a lot of body movement, possibly cutting the putter head across the ball.  Difficult to say without seeing it.  But that's what the pro is for!!  

To improve center contact, get a 3 foot metal ruler.  Place a ball on the ruler and putt.  If you can't stroke the ball the length of the ruler without it going off either side, you aren't making square contact, and you need to find out why.  It's difficult to dial in speed when you hit all over the putt face.  

Good luck!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I’m working on re-grooving my swing range and timing, after losing 62 lbs in 2019. I’m making progress (increased speed and smash factor). Besides that, I need to finally get my head on straight for short game shots from 100 yds in. The new swing technique, I’m working on with my instructor will translate to my short game too.

Otherwise, play more golf and have more fun doing it!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Chasing my ball around the cow field, trying to avoid the “ruff.”