TESTERS WANTED! ×

Tommy Armour 845s Memories Anyone?

GolfSpy Barbajo

Hi folks -- looking for a little help, if you have a moment.

Working on a look back article on the Tommy Armour 845s irons for the main blog. Did any of you old timers game those back in the day? Have any fond - or not so fond memories you'd like to share?  Feel free to PM me with details if you can.

Thanks in advance...

JMB

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Never owned them but I sure fondled them back in the late 80s every chance I had.  

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

I was a huge fan - I played with them but never owned them. I remember DLIII playing those with G Loomis graphite shafts in them. They were strong competition for PE2 but were seen as perhaps a cleaner version. I think those irons are among some of the best of all time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

My 1st set of irons were the 845’s. I had just started playing and the 845’s were very popular. There were not a lot of Left Hand options then.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Never played them but this reminds me of a great memory of working at a “top 25 in the nation” course.

The Golf Service Center staff had a routine that we kept for three of the four years I worked there in high school and college. We had a TA 845 W3 that we ordained as the KP club. KP stood for closest to the pin.

At the end of our Thursday and Friday night shifts, we’d each get three balls to hit towards the closest range green at 70ish yards out.

We each kept our best 1/3 shots and the loser bought breakfast the next morning.

The head pro had heard about this and joined us one night. He played our rules and we whooped his butt.

If any of us were smart, we would have let him win...three weeks later, following a staff meeting, the manager of the golf staff told us that our Thursday tradition contest was to be no longer.

I loved that job, thanks for rustling up this memory for me

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

• 3 weeks later...

We were in Goodwill couple weeks ago and a set of 845 were there . They were selling them separate at $3.95 ea.
They were in horrendous shape.

Rick

Left Hand, 

... Oh boy do 845's bring back memories. I was on staff with Tommy Armour and played the 845's for a couple of seasons. Ironically we were cleaning out the basement last weekend and found my old Tommy Armour Staff bag and Lite Staff bag I used to teach out of. I put quite a few students into those irons that as best I can remember were offered with Tour Step shafts, the first light weight steel shafts (110 or 115gms?) that fit a wide variety of players much better than the 130gm DG's that were so popular at that time. I drilled out the top of my hosel and put on ferrules basically because Fred Couples had ferrules on his and I thought they looked much better. For what were considered players irons at that time, they surprisingly had quite a bit of offset. I actually played a full set of 12 Tommy Armour 845's and loved their 60* wedge (my first) that had a much thinner sole than many 60* wedges at that time. 

... They also had 3 lie angles with standard, upright and flat designated on the hosel. One of my students that I measured at standard lie, if not a hair flat, had a couple hundred dollars in credit at a Skokie Illinois Golf Shop and showed up for his lesson with upright 845's. Seems they fit him at the store and told him he needed upright irons. I reassured him he did not need upright and told him to take them back and exchange them. Turns out they refused to return them saying he had hit the 7 iron. I contacted Tommy Armour and found out they had not paid their bill so could not order more and only had upright irons in stock. Going well above and beyond, Tommy Armour exchanged them and put him in the proper standard lie. Good people. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

... Oh boy do 845's bring back memories. I was on staff with Tommy Armour and played the 845's for a couple of seasons. Ironically we were cleaning out the basement last weekend and found my old Tommy Armour Staff bag and Lite Staff bag I used to teach out of. I put quite a few students into those irons that as best I can remember were offered with Tour Step shafts, the first light weight steel shafts (110 or 115gms?) that fit a wide variety of players much better than the 130gm DG's that were so popular at that time. I drilled out the top of my hosel and put on ferrules basically because Fred Couples had ferrules on his and I thought they looked much better. For what were considered players irons at that time, they surprisingly had quite a bit of offset. I actually played a full set of 12 Tommy Armour 845's and loved their 60* wedge (my first) that had a much thinner sole than many 60* wedges at that time. 

... They also had 3 lie angles with standard, upright and flat designated on the hosel. One of my students that I measured at standard lie, if not a hair flat, had a couple hundred dollars in credit at a Skokie Illinois Golf Shop and showed up for his lesson with upright 845's. Seems they fit him at the store and told him he needed upright irons. I reassured him he did not need upright and told him to take them back and exchange them. Turns out they refused to return them saying he had hit the 7 iron. I contacted Tommy Armour and found out they had not paid their bill so could not order more and only had upright irons in stock. Going well above and beyond, Tommy Armour exchanged them and put him in the proper standard lie. Good people. 

I like good customer service stories

Rick

Left Hand, 

2 minutes ago, Rickp said:

I like good customer service storiesemoji106.png

... Yup, it was not something Tommy Armour needed to do. I was just a young local independent teaching pro at the time and they could have easily done nothing, so I was very impressed when they stepped up. 

My mom bought a complete set of practically brand new 845s at our local Goodwill for $30 when I was 11 or 12.  They were my first set of clubs intended to keep me occupied and out of trouble since I was prone to mischief.  Sports was ever the only thing she could find to occupy my time while keeping me out of trouble.  I beat those things around the farm land surrounding my house since the nearest golf course was at least an hour away. 

My mom put them in an out building, never to be seen again, when I left home at 17.  My biggest regret in golf was not taking those clubs with me when I left.  If for no other reason but to have as a link to my childhood now.

Still have my former bagged set in the garage!!! Loved them as my first playing set, although my ‘first real set’ was WilsonStaff Tour Blades; given to me by my best friend who had updated/upgraded. They Had a sweet spot smaller than a dime, but man you knew when you hit it....still cant believe I sold them!ARGHHHH. I learned how to play/bang w/those 845s but once I graduated to my MP32s, I haven’t looked back.

Current Bag....

Titleist 913 D3 8.5* Stiff

Mizuno F60 4FW

Titleist 818 3Hyb XS

Honma TW747 4Hyb XS

Mizuno MP32s, 5-PW, TTDGS100

Titleist SM6 50, 54, 60 Wedges

TA Impact #2 

John, please put a link from this thread to the article. I just read it and commented on it. What a great article relating the history of an important period and a real contributor to golf (John Hoeflich). I played two of my three Nickent hybrids(#2, and #3)  just yesterday, and they still crush the ball - a perfect fit with my Hogan Ft. Worth irons (4 - PW) and my TaylorMade 5 wood. Maybe I'll stuff the #4 in the bag tomorrow just for grins.  And I was also gaming one of my two Nickent Pipe putters.( The other is in my bag at home.) I still have a set of Nickent irons that I couldn't bear to part with for some unknown reason. Maybe I'll break them out of the storage locker and put new KBS C-taper Lite shafts in them just to see what happens. Thanks again.

1 hour ago, Hecaviator said:

John, please put a link from this thread to the article. I just read it and commented on it. What a great article relating the history of an important period and a real contributor to golf (John Hoeflich). I played two of my three Nickent hybrids(#2, and #3)  just yesterday, and they still crush the ball - a perfect fit with my Hogan Ft. Worth irons (4 - PW) and my TaylorMade 5 wood. Maybe I'll stuff the #4 in the bag tomorrow just for grins.  And I was also gaming one of my two Nickent Pipe putters.( The other is in my bag at home.) I still have a set of Nickent irons that I couldn't bear to part with for some unknown reason. Maybe I'll break them out of the storage locker and put new KBS C-taper Lite shafts in them just to see what happens. Thanks again.

Thanks for the kind words --  it was a fun article to research and write. Glad you liked it...

https://mygolfspy.com/the-story-of-an-icon-the-tommy-armour-845s/

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I played a set as a junior for about a year. They were lent to me by my coach that had gotten something new. They were a great set, and i think I had some very good rounds with those irons before i gave the back. 

**EDIT**

yes, that was a great article to read. Great history lesson on some equipment. 

Edited by Quigleyd

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

29 minutes ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

Thanks for the kind words --  it was a fun article to research and write. Glad you liked it...

https://mygolfspy.com/the-story-of-an-icon-the-tommy-armour-845s/

... For those of us that played em, it was a nice trip down memory lane. I still have my staff bags. Great read Barbajo!

559914030_tommyarmour.jpg.c3f38781009a234e5b92c53fce561c2c.jpg

• 2 months later...