Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Iron Fitting

Billy-Bo-Jim-Bob

What should I do to prepare for an iron fitting so that I will feel confident in the fitter recommendation assuming there could be some spec changes that make the irons custom. Want to make sure that the spec changes are right and I don’t get stuck w clubs that are not fit right.

Driver - Titleist TSi3 9.0  (Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 6.0)

3 wood - TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 15 (Ventus Blue 7S)

5 wood - TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 19 (Ventus Blue 7S)

Irons - Titleist T100s 4-PW + 49 (KBS $-Taper)

Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM9 54D (KBS 610) & 58M (KBS 610)

Putter - Titleist Scotty Cameron - Phantom X 11.5

Ball - Titleist Pro V1 & Taylormade Tour Response (Blue/Pink Stripe)

Be open minded, try not to look at what he/she is given you in terms of shaft or head. Be honest in your feedback. Don’t chase numbers 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Wear everything that you normally do to play golf (gloves, shoes, etc.). Also, bring your current club that you’re testing against. Plus, be ready to hit 50-100 balls without getting too fatigued. You don’t want to be 25 shots in and getting tired and end up with a bad fit.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

I’m getting fitted at Golftec. I’ve been hitting balls so that when I get there I’m in swing shape and hitting it they way I would be after The “spring rust shake”.

Driver - Titleist TSi3 9.0  (Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 6.0)

3 wood - TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 15 (Ventus Blue 7S)

5 wood - TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 19 (Ventus Blue 7S)

Irons - Titleist T100s 4-PW + 49 (KBS $-Taper)

Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM9 54D (KBS 610) & 58M (KBS 610)

Putter - Titleist Scotty Cameron - Phantom X 11.5

Ball - Titleist Pro V1 & Taylormade Tour Response (Blue/Pink Stripe)

I also suggest bring your game ball if they allow it and keep them informed of your budget. Don't get blown out of the water if they pick a major upcharge shaft.
Most of all enjoy the experience and ask questions try to understand what they are looking for number wise so you can get an idea when things are heading in the right direction.

Using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

I actually just got fitted at Golftec. I dont know if they have a universal experience but he asked me questions about my game and where I want to improve. Then measured my current gamers to establish a baseline. Then went through a couple different heads, asking for how it looked how it felt/sounded etc. The main components he cared about outside of that was spin rate, launch angle and decent angle. Once it was dialed in properly in those fields it came down to my personal preference. I thought the overall experience was solid, you'll benefit the most by being open with what you're feeling with each club.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• 4 weeks later...

A few ideas for you to consider. Do 1) and 2) below BEFORE you test any clubs. But above all  GET FITTED!

1) Get a solid baseline on a sim with your current clubs. DO NOT settle for getting data only on one club (6 or 7 iron). Go through the entire bag. You may have to baseline on one day, examine the data carefully, and return on another day to test clubs. Fatigue is a risk if you hit enough to get a solid baseline on your entire current bag. 

2) Do at least three to five 3-swing sessions with Mizuno's Shaft Optimizer 3D. Don't let the fitter just have you swing the MSO 3D three times. Most people's swings are not consistent enough to use the data from just 3 swings to  narrow the field of shafts and select the best for you. In my case, five 3-swing sessions with the MSO 3D identified the same shaft (KBS C-taper Lite, regular flex) as most suited to my swing in three of the five sets, and it was second in two others. Obviously, that shaftt is suited to my swing. Get all the data details from the Optimizer, not just the recommended shaft. You may find that your current clubs are just fine, but your shafts aren't suited to your swing. Or, after testing through step 5) below, you may find that just putting new shafts and grips on your existing clubs is much less expensive than a new set of irons. Then you can spend the money left over on lessons, which might help more than new clubs.

3) When you get into testing irons, plan to swing at least five models of clubs, more if the fitter is willing. And swing them with more than one shaft if the MSO 3D has not identified a clear "best" option for you. At a minimum, hit the 5 iron, the 7 iron, and the pitching wedge. If the fitter insists just hitting the 7 iron is enough, find another fitter. Go through the whole set if you can, whether with the fitter or on your own using the sim. At a minimum, you will learn a LOT about your swing. 

4) Try to fit hybrids into the set during the iron fitting, most likely in the 3 iron or 4 iron role. Test shafts with the hybrids, starting with the one identified with the MSO 3D. But be open to trying others as well. If you select a hybrid with an adjustable hosel and weights, experiment with adjustments. I found that the hybrid tended to hook. We dialed the loft down to the max available, which flattened the lie, and then set the weights heavy at the heel of the club. Bingo, straight as could be and better spin rates. 

5) Consider a blended set of irons, e.g., Hot Metals and Hot Metal Pros or JPX 919 Forged. Or even try the MP20 HMB irons for the longest iron(s) in your bag, gapped to work with your irons and hybrid.  

6) If a fitter doesn't have the patience to go through this with you, ask to work with someone who does or simply walk away. It's your money.

Edited by Hecaviator