Shankster

Sentry Tournament of Champions

Our Sponsors

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

Please, can we stop with the white pants!  Almost as awful a look as white belts........almost!  😉

While we're at it, calling jeans "5-pocket chinos" and trying to pass them off as "slacks" doesn't change the fact that they are jeans!  

I'll get off my soapbox now!

• Like 1

I'm liking these Hawaii tournaments.... I can watch them at night after the football games.  🙂

Couldn't believe JT's 18th hole - WOW - but to top it off Xander had it all but won and tried to ram in the Eagle but gave up the tap-in birdie.  Suppose nerves are real and not always steel.

• Like 3

I dont think anybody is giving these guys enough credit with how that wind was humming over there. I think that's why JT stepped away before he sunk the winner. I mean JTs wedge from 120 with that wind was impressive. Guy must be a pro golfer or something.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Middler said:

Schauffele, Thomas and Reed had several bad shots I’m sure they couldn’t believe themselves. Thomas’s second lost in the weeds when a par would have won it. Schauffele 3 putting on 18 after Thomas went in the weeds, and then 3 putting again on the 1st playoff hole. Thomas chunking his 2nd shot on the 3rd playoff hole just missing the weeds (again). Reed blowing his birdie putt 7 feet past on the 3rd playoff hole. I can’t remember the last time I saw three players of that caliber make that many bad shots, they’ve been in pressure situations before. I think the wind was more of a factor than most of us realize. The few times I’ve played in gusty winds over 20 mph, it’s been brutal. When you have to account for wind while putting, it’s a different game.

I played in SE Texas last year in brutal wind and it was virtually impossible.

Makes all of the shots that they did hit even that more impressive.

I'll admit I didn't see the playoff - past my bedtime - but sounds like nerves+wind = super tough conditions

• Like 1

You guys giving them too much credit, those were typical Hawaii afternoon conditions 😋

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Middler said:

Schauffele, Thomas and Reed had several bad shots I’m sure they couldn’t believe themselves. Thomas’s second lost in the weeds when a par would have won it. Schauffele 3 putting on 18 after Thomas went in the weeds, and then 3 putting again on the 1st playoff hole. Thomas chunking his 2nd shot on the 3rd playoff hole just missing the weeds (again). Reed blowing his birdie putt 7 feet past on the 3rd playoff hole. I can’t remember the last time I saw three players of that caliber make that many bad shots, they’ve been in pressure situations before. I think the wind was more of a factor than most of us realize. The few times I’ve played in gusty winds over 20 mph, it’s been brutal. When you have to account for wind while putting, it’s a different game.

Just like it's been here for the last couple of weeks!!  Well, except it's 30-40º colder... and my course is not on the side of a volcano... and our greens don't have that much slope... and our greens don't have grain to read, and we don't have views on every hole, but other than that... it's been just like Kapalua!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

You guys giving them too much credit, those were typical Hawaii afternoon conditions 
When I was their for the TOC 2 years ago there was a breeze. That looked like a proper wind haha.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, tchat07 said:

When I was their for the TOC 2 years ago there was a breeze. That looked like a proper wind haha.

Yeah, it was a decent wind, but nothing truly out of the ordinary. I'm just trying to make excuses for why I suck at golf 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Yeah, it was a decent wind, but nothing truly out of the ordinary. I'm just trying to make excuses for why I suck at golf 
O the obvious excuse is we do not play with the big grandstands like they did. Which clearly blocks all of the wind, meaning free drop at the edge of the green since the original shot went 50 yds left.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tchat07 said:

O the obvious excuse is we do not play with the big grandstands like they did. Which clearly blocks all of the wind, meaning free drop at the edge of the green since the original shot went 50 yds left.

Haha!  Yeah  .... I saw DJ hit one right into the stands on the fly.  Gets a free drop and puts it on the green.  C'mon man....  that's why "The Open" is so good.  Nothing free there.  😉

If I was JT on 18 in regulation I aim right at the crowd and try to hit it up in the stands with my second.
Free drop, chip on the green, 2 putt FTW.

That's like Reed doing lift, clean, place when he's off the green then he's next a sprinkler head so he gets relief from that and now he's 2 inches off the green.  He went from 3-4 feet off the green in the rough to a relatively easy putt.... what a dumb rule.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Haha!  Yeah  .... I saw DJ hit one right into the stands on the fly.  Gets a free drop and puts it on the green.  C'mon man....  that's why "The Open" is so good.  Nothing free there.  😉

If I was JT on 18 in regulation I aim right at the crowd and try to hit it up in the stands with my second.
Free drop, chip on the green, 2 putt FTW.

If Phil was there he would have chipped it out of the grandstand ...and probably holed it out. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1