2020 drivers!

I am through 20 drivers (19 more to go) as part of most wanted testing.  A few a just not for me due to poor performance.....PXG X,  Titleist TS3, Tommy Armour 845, Tour Edge, Cleveland, and a few others.   Mavrik, TM, Cobra are solid performers and could find a place in my bag.  The surprise driver of so far is the Honma XP-1.   Too costly for me,  but it worked for my swing and my typical mishit (high/high toe).   

• Like 7

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  Bellum Winmore 787

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Holy cow. Did the outdoor fitting with the Honma rep yesterday to confirm what I saw inside in Dallas. Yeah.... What I saw inside was seen outside. Just ridiculous. A year ago, February, I was in Mi

I am through 20 drivers (19 more to go) as part of most wanted testing.  A few a just not for me due to poor performance.....PXG X,  Titleist TS3, Tommy Armour 845, Tour Edge, Cleveland, and a few oth

Hmm. I wonder what I DID today????     Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted Images

I was at Roger Dunn today looking for a bag replacement and checked out the Speedzone in the bay. The feel off the face is so hard on them, similar to the F9, I just can't do it...
Forgot to look if they had SIM, whoops!

Always been my one complaint of Cobra drivers: feels like every ball is a Rock Flite! Sad to hear it continues...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 3

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy: 

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4/5, Tour V 6-10, Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

I was at Roger Dunn today looking for a bag replacement and checked out the Speedzone in the bay. The feel off the face is so hard on them, similar to the F9, I just can't do it...
Forgot to look if they had SIM, whoops!

I never thought it felt hard while swinging, but now that you mention it I do remember the M5 feeling as powerful, but a little softer and liking that better. I thought they both sounded great too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 ALUMNUS

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver 10.5 - Ventus Blue 6x | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8s | :cobra-small: Speedzone 4-Hybrid - KBS Proto 85s

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - Nippon Modus 120x | :cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12C, 56.10V, 60.04W - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :Snell: MTB-X | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 HD Slope

2 hours ago, PMookie said:

Always been my one complaint of Cobra drivers: feels like every ball is a Rock Flite! Sad to hear it continues...

I can see how people like that, it's just not for me. I like a little softer because it feels hotter to me when you get a little "spring" feel? Hard to put into words. Driver looks amazing at address tho, sits a little open to my eye which always helps ease my mind into thinking I'm protected from going too far left.

2 hours ago, B.Boston said:

I never thought it felt hard while swinging, but now that you mention it I do remember the M5 feeling as powerful, but a little softer and liking that better. I thought they both sounded great too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I'm a fan of the crack sound it was making, reminds me of a baseball bat. It's a great driver and I'm sure it'll be a lot of people's cup of tea, just not mine.

• Like 4

Driver: :taylormade-small: SIM Max 10.5 Fujikura Motore X F3 5S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue 75S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Modus 3 115 Wedge

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1, 34.5", BGT Stability Tour, 71* lie angle, Press II 3* Grip

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X

I am very impressed by the offerings this year.  I do not think the Cobra feels hard, yes it is on the firmer side but I enjoyed the feedback. The SIM is a ball speed monster but I feel it is a bit more fickle and needs more fine tuning. It is also very low spin so, loft up. The Maverik is almost too muted for my taste, but I am someone that didn't mind the epic flash so.. 

Shape wise, the cobra is more angular to my eyes, the SIM is pear shaped and the Mav is like a cannonball. Something for everyone out there. 

• Like 3

Driver: SIM 9 Motore X F1 7X tipped 1 inch

Utility Iron: Cobra King Utility irons 18 degree Aldila rogue 90 X

Irons: Cobra King forged CB 4-PW KBS $ Taper 130 X

Wedges: Cleveland 49,52.58.64

Putter: Kronos Release.

I'm a big fan of how the Mavrik works for me.  Wanted the SIM or SIM Max to work, but w/ shaft testing and everything the best match for my miss was the Mavrik.

• Like 2

DRIVER: PXG Proto 0811 X - Graphite Design Tour AD GP7x +1/2"

3W: Taylormade SIM Rocket - Graphite Design Tour AD GP6s

HYBRID: PXG 0317X 17* - PX HC Hzrdus Black 6.5 (shelved)

IRONS: PXG Gen 3 0311T 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite 115g X-Stiff +1" | PXG Gen 2 0311P 3-4 - KBS C-Taper Lite 115g X-Stiff +1"

WEDGES: PXG Forged 54, PXG Sugar Daddy 58 - KBS C-Taper Lite 115g X-Stiff +1"

PUTTER: Taylormade MySpider X - 36.00" 3* Loft 71* Lie

I have been hitting the SIM alot and really like it. There is something though that keeps pulling me back to the Cobra Speedzone. 

• Like 2

Driver: SIM 9 Motore X F1 7X tipped 1 inch

Utility Iron: Cobra King Utility irons 18 degree Aldila rogue 90 X

Irons: Cobra King forged CB 4-PW KBS $ Taper 130 X

Wedges: Cleveland 49,52.58.64

Putter: Kronos Release.

Have a SIM Max on the way.  The more i have read on the SIM, the more I'm glad I went with the MAX.   Even though I figjt high spin at times.  I was afraid of the low launch low spin comments I had read 

The Spwedzone and MAVRIK both have my attention as well. 

• Like 1

:titelist-small: TSi2 Kuro Kage 50g R Flex

:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:ping-small: Heppler Tomcast 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

17 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Have a SIM Max on the way.  The more i have read on the SIM, the more I'm glad I went with the MAX.   Even though I figjt high spin at times.  I was afraid of the low launch low spin comments I had read 

Ive read pros are playing the max to maximize carry since they don’t need all the roll out from the lower spin of the sim

• Like 4

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

There's a reason I game the G410 plus with no desire to switch to the lst. 

My good hits with both are bombs. Mishits with the G410 plus retain their spin on high strikes and only spin up a little more on low strikes. 

LST on high toe strikes would potentially drop out of the sky for me 

• Like 4

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* VA Nemesys 65X
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50F - 54S - 59D
:scotty-small: Phantom X 5.5 (2021)
:titelist-small: ProV1

Taking the SIM Max out for a demo round this Saturday, pro absolutely loved it 2 days ago, he missed zero fairways, he said he didnt get more distance just better dispersion, nicer sound and higher confidence- he shot -4

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

7 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

Taking the SIM Max out for a demo round this Saturday, pro absolutely loved it 2 days ago, he missed zero fairways, he said he didnt get more distance just better dispersion, nicer sound and higher confidence- he shot -4

I'm trying to demo one sometime soon as well. Hesitant because the stock playing length is 45.75 and I'm already missing fairways with something not quite as long. Wondering if they have weights to bring the swingweight back up when ordered to play at 45" -- does anyone know? That's one of the coolest things about the tour length Cobra drivers IMO, they include the heavier weights when you chop an inch off. Might go try and demo a SpeedZone on the course even though it's not my preferred feel off the face, I could learn to like it if the performance is there!

• Like 1

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1, 34.5", BGT Stability Tour, 71* lie angle, Press II 3* Grip

7 hours ago, yungkory said:

I'm trying to demo one sometime soon as well. Hesitant because the stock playing length is 45.75 and I'm already missing fairways with something not quite as long. Wondering if they have weights to bring the swingweight back up when ordered to play at 45" -- does anyone know? That's one of the coolest things about the tour length Cobra drivers IMO, they include the heavier weights when you chop an inch off. Might go try and demo a SpeedZone on the course even though it's not my preferred feel off the face, I could learn to like it if the performance is there!

Taylormade will adjust the weight screw for shorter than stock.

Like most companies though if you order a specific swingweight they will try to get it but won’t guarantee it will be spot on

• Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

10 hours ago, yungkory said:

Once you have it cut and know how much weight is needed, add some hot melt or lead tape it.  With the boat rudder, I say that jokingly because I actually love the look of the SIM, you could just put some tape along the sides.  Play it until you find what you like and then add the melt.  Or, just wait til TM releases weights.  Then again, weights used in the M3/M5 may fit it just fine.

• Like 1
  • TaylorMade SIM2 9.7* - Graphite Design Tour AD-HD 7 TX
  • TaylorMade M6 15.9* - PX HZRDUS Green 80 6.5 
  • Srixon Z565 3i - PX 6.5
  • Srixon Z745 4-P - PX LZ 7.0
  • Vokey SM7 50F / 55M / 59K - DG TI S400
  • Scotty Cameron X7 Phantom 34”
  • Titleist -Pro V1X

Went to the shop today because I forgot a hat and my face will melt off in the sun without one. Decided to peep the new sim max and wow, I can see why Rory plays a 10.5 turned down to 8.5 — it really looks shut at address. Love the shape and I definitely want to hit one against a Speedzone outdoors. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

39 drivers tested for most wanted. My general assessment is that in most cases the drivers are pretty much equal with some exceptions where the club was a total misfit for me. When looking at the couple of mph difference I will attribute that to daily swing variances.

I still recommend swinging as many as possible to see what you like and what works best for you.

My biggest surprise was the Honma drivers. Top drivers were ping, callaway, and TM. Cobra was not as good as described,
Left me disappointed. I don’t have numbers from each driver but if I was looking ping would probably be my choice and then fit myself for the best shaft.

• Like 4

Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Still gaming the Cobra F8 and Wilson Triton......because the Triton stays in the fairway and the F8 has a fade tendency.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Driver: PXG 0211 w/Evenflo Riptide CB Regular shaft BACKUP DRIVER: Cobra F8 w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft  Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrid: Ben Hogan VKTR 3 Hybrid(18*) w/Recoil ES Hybrid(75 GM) regular shaft Irons: Wilson D7 5-PW w/Recoil 460 Regular graphite shafts Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore(50*/54*/58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  Putter: 33" Evnroll ER2 Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).  Pushcart:  Caddytek 3.0 from Costco

Before I left Dallas this morning, I went by a local store, Dallas golf, that had the Honma rep there today. I was able to go through a quick fitting for their new driver, hitting both the 460, and the 440 cc heads. My Callaway flash subzero was showing 168 ball speed, which is consistent with what I’ve seen on trackman recently. The Honma 440 with Ventus black 70 X shaft was hitting 170 consistently, and even getting to 171. The most interesting part about that ball speed was that I was not hitting the ball consistently in the center of the face! I hit a lot of heel, toe, and high face shots, all of which held ball speed pretty darn well! I have not seen 170, 171 ball speed in a long time! Even with all of the inconsistent strike locations, the dispersion was significantly tighter than it was with my Callaway!

The rep is coming to North Louisiana the last week of the month And he is going to get me out at one of the country clubs to hit the driver outside to confirm the ball flight and spin, etc. we were seeing. This driver head is legit!

• Like 4

Fwy: 

Before I left Dallas this morning, I went by a local store, Dallas golf, that had the Honma rep there today. I was able to go through a quick fitting for their new driver, hitting both the 460, and the 440 cc heads. My Callaway flash subzero was showing 168 ball speed, which is consistent with what I’ve seen on trackman recently. The Honma 440 with Ventus black 70 X shaft was hitting 170 consistently, and even getting to 171. The most interesting part about that all speed was that I was not hitting the ball consistently in the center of the face! I hit a lot of heel, toe, and high face shots, all of which held ball speed pretty darn well! I have not seen 170, 171 ball speed and a long time! Even with all of the inconsistent strike locations, the dispersion was significantly tighter than it was with my Callaway!

The rep is coming to North Louisiana the last week of the month And he is going to get me out at one of the country clubs to hit the driver outside to confirm the ball flight and spin, etc. we were seeing. This driver head is legit!

I was really impressed with all the heads. Did you use the Vizard shaft or something else?

I was really impressed with all the heads. Did you use the Vizard shaft or something else?

Ventus Black 7X, Diamana DF, and some royal blue shaft with a bunch of silver graphics. not sure what it was . Didn’t hit the Vizard at all.

• Like 3

Fwy: