Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Mark Crossfield now a Cleveland/Srixon/XXIO staffer

null

4 hours ago, Paul M said:

Interesting, Peter Finch, another utuber in the uk, has 230000 followers, has just left a club sponsorship deal, one reason was to ensure independence of his reviews.

PaulM

didnt know he was sponsored- who was it? Must have been restrictive to give up a regular source of income.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

6 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

didnt know he was sponsored- who was it? Must have been restrictive to give up a regular source of income.

Taylormade

Admittedly I think alot of this "editorial independence" argument that Shiels and Finch hide behind is just trying to create some of that old YouTube drama to boost viewership.

In the end, numbers and data are numbers and data in reviews. If you've watched any of these guys forever you can guess where the numbers are going to sit and that they'll extol the benefits of going to get fit and trying a variety of clubs because no one brand is better than others. 

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

Yeah, Finch even said when taking the TaylorMade deal that he doesn't really even do club reviews so him using that as a reason to end the sponsorship is interesting. I suppose he could be looking to get into the review space, but I think he's more just wanting to have the freedom to play the best clubs for him throughout the bag.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

2 hours ago, FrogginBullfish said:

Yeah, Finch even said when taking the TaylorMade deal that he doesn't really even do club reviews so him using that as a reason to end the sponsorship is interesting. I suppose he could be looking to get into the review space, but I think he's more just wanting to have the freedom to play the best clubs for him throughout the bag.

he had that without ANY sponsorship deal...............just like the REST of us!😂

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

• 3 weeks later...

What I'm finding really great about Crossfield's switch to Cleveland is how he's building his new bag. I love how he's trying to focus on that 195 to 235 yard range.

I wrote something about this is an older thread, but I'm really behind the idea of having the larger gaps in your bag be at the bottom of the bag with your wedges, where it's much easier to hit partial shots, and have tighter gaps, with some crossover, and the top end of the bag.

This is exactly what Mark is doing with his new bag and I'm quite excited that he's doing it cause I'm definitely seeing it as the best way to build a bag.

8 minutes ago, FrogginBullfish said:

What I'm finding really great about Crossfield's switch to Cleveland is how he's building his new bag. I love how he's trying to focus on that 195 to 235 yard range.

I wrote something about this is an older thread, but I'm really behind the idea of having the larger gaps in your bag be at the bottom of the bag with your wedges, where it's much easier to hit partial shots, and have tighter gaps, with some crossover, and the top end of the bag.

This is exactly what Mark is doing with his new bag and I'm quite excited that he's doing it cause I'm definitely seeing it as the best way to build a bag.

I love watching him build his bag too. 

Like he said, it's all about knowing your own game and building a bag that fits your needs rather than the standard "idea" of a golf bag. 

Some people probably should only carry two wedges while others should carry 4 or even 5. It's all about how you play, where you play and how you want to attack a golf course 

For sure. He's building his bag around the fact that he plays a lot of long courses off the back tees and he needs to have a few more options to hit shots into greens at that distance so having them run into each other is just a smart move.

I also like that he's taken a wedge out as I think having fewer options to choose from around the green could benefit his scrambling, which is the weakest part of his game. I think we might just see him end up with a similar setup to Lockey in the wedges with a 46, 52, and 58, rather than the current 46, 56, 60 setup he's working with now.

I'm interested to see what the final bag looks like though. It's been fun to watch.

I love watching him build his bag too. 
Like he said, it's all about knowing your own game and building a bag that fits your needs rather than the standard "idea" of a golf bag. 
Some people probably should only carry two wedges while others should carry 4 or even 5. It's all about how you play, where you play and how you want to attack a golf course 

• 3 weeks later...

Crossfield is a club HO.....he switches clubs like he switches underwear......love his videos and all and for me, as an amateur, who has been a life long golf maniac, he is an influencer. In the sense I will hit a big box store and see if his reviews align with what I think and see in the store. So, his videos get me to the store and if I hit something he reviewed and It performs, I might buy it.

I think the "influencers" need to take a different angle with the reviews though....its becoming very very stale watching each reviewer talk about "angle of descent" and "peak height"....and even though spin #'s and launch are important, its BOOOOOOORING......most amateurs do not care. Only us hardcore fans. I am not sure ive ever heard another amateur on the course talk about this stuff....only that they "hit a bomb" and scored well.

The incremental differences we see with new tech is so small in the amateur world, IMO, most amateur golfers don't care. They like to hit it far and they are into aesthetics.

I think the real value watching Crossfield and all the others comes when they put a mid-high HDCP player on the monitor and you see them hitting blades vs an SGI. That type of video, to me, is really good.

Id like to see the industry reviewers change to full on course testing....I know they do some of that but id like to see blades vs SGI in deep rough or just in every day play.  Lets face it, a lot of amateurs play from the rough quite often and reviewing clubs that perform in ALL conditions could be very helpful.

anyway, I'm glad he is with Srixon because I am in the marklet for new irons and the T100S and the Z785's are on my radar.....

Golf is cool

He's really not a club ho though. He only made changes with Titleist when they released new products and now he's in the first month and a half of a new deal with a new manufacturer with 3 brands under their blanket. He's just testing out the plethora of options that comes with those 3 brands to build his bag. Once he's got that figured out, I don't think he'll make too many changes unless new stuff comes out.

Crossfield is a club HO.....he switches clubs like he switches underwear......love his videos and all and for me, as an amateur, who has been a life long golf maniac, he is an influencer. In the sense I will hit a big box store and see if his reviews align with what I think and see in the store. So, his videos get me to the store and if I hit something he reviewed and It performs, I might buy it.
I think the "influencers" need to take a different angle with the reviews though....its becoming very very stale watching each reviewer talk about "angle of descent" and "peak height"....and even though spin #'s and launch are important, its BOOOOOOORING......most amateurs do not care. Only us hardcore fans. I am not sure ive ever heard another amateur on the course talk about this stuff....only that they "hit a bomb" and scored well.
The incremental differences we see with new tech is so small in the amateur world, IMO, most amateur golfers don't care. They like to hit it far and they are into aesthetics.
I think the real value watching Crossfield and all the others comes when they put a mid-high HDCP player on the monitor and you see them hitting blades vs an SGI. That type of video, to me, is really good.
Id like to see the industry reviewers change to full on course testing....I know they do some of that but id like to see blades vs SGI in deep rough or just in every day play.  Lets face it, a lot of amateurs play from the rough quite often and reviewing clubs that perform in ALL conditions could be very helpful.
anyway, I'm glad he is with Srixon because I am in the marklet for new irons and the T100S and the Z785's are on my radar.....

Yeah Crossfield is a normal ho, he does it for the money 🙂

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond