jlukes

Mark Crossfield now a Cleveland/Srixon/XXIO staffer

Our Sponsors

6 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Happy New Year Joe.

Calling my friend dumb is not a nice thing to do.... I wouldn't call any of your friends dumb.

Sorry.  Foolish.  I you know it wasn't personal.

We also have to remember that us golf forum guys aren't the norm.  Your friend, who buys something based on social media influence, a commercial, or what a pro plays is far more closer to the average consumer.

• Like 2

Crossfield reviewed pretty much every new release during his time as a Titleist staffer and he was as objective as they come. It was the same when he was with Callaway and it'll be the same now he's with Cleveland.

Of course, the perception will remain that he can't be objective, but watch any of his reviews from his Titleist days of other manufacturers and he'll be complimenting them on what he likes about them and saying he could game them.

For me, the best part of Mark's partnership with Titleist, and this was the same for Peter Finch with TaylorMade last year, was the access it provided to Tour players and Tour fitters. I loved watching Mark's vids on range with the Tour pros and Liam working with them. I imagine we'll get the same sort of thing here with Cleveland.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3

Er, yea, well...I think you may be getting a little over emotional about this. You asked a question and you got the answer. You dont have to agree with the strategy they ran. You are absolutely entitled to think that Titleist's marketing people are stupid and that you know better than them, that's fine, you're welcome to that opinion. But getting upset because you don't agree with their marketing strategy is kind of weird! They did it as a small part of their global strategy on brand awareness (you don't have to get angry about that) and it will have cost them more or less nothing compared to other running costs, and the fact that we are all on here talking about it (including you) means that they have probably got what they wanted. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

Yup - branding is just that: getting the name out there. Same thing with Driver vs. Driver and Wilson. That show was NEVER about the driver - it was a branding exercise to get people looking at and talking about Wilson. From that standpoint, the show was a smashing success. 

This is very cool for Srixon-Cleveland-XXIO. Gotta admit, the XXIO driver surprised me as I didn't think Crossfield was in the target demographic. That said, the Cleveland driver is really, really good. No idea how it will shake out in Most Wanted, but it's a HUGE improvement over the first HB Launcher. It's definitely in the rotation for next year - we'll see about the XXIO. 

If the driver that comes out of that show repeatedly fails to match or beat the rest of the brands do consumers that got pulled in or the ones that were aware and waiting for them to do something big in this areas look at the product and think yup still a cheap brand that lacks market appeal and is better at being a box set brand? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Maybe I'm off base but I'd be curious how many people really care which clubs he uses.... this might be 'big' news to him.... 

A buddy of mine who doesn't live close to a fitter did this.  He has a high SS and saw that "Rick Shiels" tried these and liked them on YT.  He paid 800 bucks for an iron set, hit about 10 balls and gave them to a friend.

I also wonder how objective his "reviews" will be (if he even does them any longer) when he has a 'business relationship' with a single manufacturer?

When Mark signed his deal with Titleist it was contingent that he could continue reviewing any manufacturer he wanted, same with his new Cleveland/Srixon/XXIO deal.  To Titleist's displeasure he kept his old Ping G25 hybrid in the bag (aka Rinky Dinks) when he switched over although he ultimately did put two 818 hybrids in his bag.  Mark has never said "go buy this club" rather that he simply likes or dislikes certain clubs and puts his launch monitor data up as fruit for thought.  If your friend is buying clubs solely based on YouTube reviews, I wouldn't call them stupid, just ill-informed and impulsive.  Mark has always said, "go get lesson, go get fit" when it comes to equipment purchases.

I'm actually in two minds on the video sponsorship approach.

On the one hand, it's an easy short route to brand awareness on the part of Srixon/Cleveland and their sales will probably show an upturn this year as a result. Mark will naturally continue to extol the virtues of the brand and the value of fitting and trying before you buy.

All good stuff I guess - but even though the reviews will continue to be vlogged for other brands, it still has to be considered that Mark is being told what to put in his bag rather than playing what he wants in his bag - there is a limited choice for the sponsorship deal after all. And with it comes an ethical dilemma - can you objectively review any product you're being paid to use? I think not. But that doesn't necessarily mean anything bad - it probably means a different perspective from a different brand for another year - a refreshing change some might say. We shall see what the future holds.

In the meantime, I look forward to what Mark can offer in terms of new ideas and reviews. Preferably without the need for product alignment.

3 hours ago, skrupa15 said:

If your friend is buying clubs solely based on YouTube reviews, I wouldn't call them stupid, just ill-informed and impulsive.  Mark has always said, "go get lesson, go get fit" when it comes to equipment purchases.

Just putting this out there, but the 4 best performing clubs I use are the Driver (TM M2), hybrid (Titleist 910 19*), 4w (Callaway steelhead) and putter (Yes Tracey 11). All bought because the reviews by Joe public were good and I liked the look of them.

Caveat is, there are also many clubs bought this way that didnt work out at all. Likewise a PGA pro 'fitted' Cobra F9 was probably the worst purchase I've ever done, alonside a PGA pro fitted set of Titleist AP2's- go figure!

• Like 1

On 1/1/2020 at 7:45 PM, Shankster said:

Well that is different. Hope it works out for him.

Not that different just branding.

Interesting, Peter Finch, another utuber in the uk, has 230000 followers, has just left a club sponsorship deal, one reason was to ensure independence of his reviews.

PaulM

4 hours ago, Paul M said:

Interesting, Peter Finch, another utuber in the uk, has 230000 followers, has just left a club sponsorship deal, one reason was to ensure independence of his reviews.

PaulM

didnt know he was sponsored- who was it? Must have been restrictive to give up a regular source of income.

6 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

didnt know he was sponsored- who was it? Must have been restrictive to give up a regular source of income.

Taylormade

Admittedly I think alot of this "editorial independence" argument that Shiels and Finch hide behind is just trying to create some of that old YouTube drama to boost viewership.

In the end, numbers and data are numbers and data in reviews. If you've watched any of these guys forever you can guess where the numbers are going to sit and that they'll extol the benefits of going to get fit and trying a variety of clubs because no one brand is better than others. 

• Like 1

Yeah, Finch even said when taking the TaylorMade deal that he doesn't really even do club reviews so him using that as a reason to end the sponsorship is interesting. I suppose he could be looking to get into the review space, but I think he's more just wanting to have the freedom to play the best clubs for him throughout the bag.

2 hours ago, FrogginBullfish said:

Yeah, Finch even said when taking the TaylorMade deal that he doesn't really even do club reviews so him using that as a reason to end the sponsorship is interesting. I suppose he could be looking to get into the review space, but I think he's more just wanting to have the freedom to play the best clubs for him throughout the bag.

he had that without ANY sponsorship deal...............just like the REST of us!😂

What I'm finding really great about Crossfield's switch to Cleveland is how he's building his new bag. I love how he's trying to focus on that 195 to 235 yard range.

I wrote something about this is an older thread, but I'm really behind the idea of having the larger gaps in your bag be at the bottom of the bag with your wedges, where it's much easier to hit partial shots, and have tighter gaps, with some crossover, and the top end of the bag.

This is exactly what Mark is doing with his new bag and I'm quite excited that he's doing it cause I'm definitely seeing it as the best way to build a bag.

8 minutes ago, FrogginBullfish said:

What I'm finding really great about Crossfield's switch to Cleveland is how he's building his new bag. I love how he's trying to focus on that 195 to 235 yard range.

I wrote something about this is an older thread, but I'm really behind the idea of having the larger gaps in your bag be at the bottom of the bag with your wedges, where it's much easier to hit partial shots, and have tighter gaps, with some crossover, and the top end of the bag.

This is exactly what Mark is doing with his new bag and I'm quite excited that he's doing it cause I'm definitely seeing it as the best way to build a bag.

I love watching him build his bag too. 

Like he said, it's all about knowing your own game and building a bag that fits your needs rather than the standard "idea" of a golf bag. 

Some people probably should only carry two wedges while others should carry 4 or even 5. It's all about how you play, where you play and how you want to attack a golf course 

For sure. He's building his bag around the fact that he plays a lot of long courses off the back tees and he needs to have a few more options to hit shots into greens at that distance so having them run into each other is just a smart move.

I also like that he's taken a wedge out as I think having fewer options to choose from around the green could benefit his scrambling, which is the weakest part of his game. I think we might just see him end up with a similar setup to Lockey in the wedges with a 46, 52, and 58, rather than the current 46, 56, 60 setup he's working with now.

I'm interested to see what the final bag looks like though. It's been fun to watch.

I love watching him build his bag too. 
Like he said, it's all about knowing your own game and building a bag that fits your needs rather than the standard "idea" of a golf bag. 
Some people probably should only carry two wedges while others should carry 4 or even 5. It's all about how you play, where you play and how you want to attack a golf course 

Crossfield is a club HO.....he switches clubs like he switches underwear......love his videos and all and for me, as an amateur, who has been a life long golf maniac, he is an influencer. In the sense I will hit a big box store and see if his reviews align with what I think and see in the store. So, his videos get me to the store and if I hit something he reviewed and It performs, I might buy it.

I think the "influencers" need to take a different angle with the reviews though....its becoming very very stale watching each reviewer talk about "angle of descent" and "peak height"....and even though spin #'s and launch are important, its BOOOOOOORING......most amateurs do not care. Only us hardcore fans. I am not sure ive ever heard another amateur on the course talk about this stuff....only that they "hit a bomb" and scored well.

The incremental differences we see with new tech is so small in the amateur world, IMO, most amateur golfers don't care. They like to hit it far and they are into aesthetics.

I think the real value watching Crossfield and all the others comes when they put a mid-high HDCP player on the monitor and you see them hitting blades vs an SGI. That type of video, to me, is really good.

Id like to see the industry reviewers change to full on course testing....I know they do some of that but id like to see blades vs SGI in deep rough or just in every day play.  Lets face it, a lot of amateurs play from the rough quite often and reviewing clubs that perform in ALL conditions could be very helpful.

anyway, I'm glad he is with Srixon because I am in the marklet for new irons and the T100S and the Z785's are on my radar.....

He's really not a club ho though. He only made changes with Titleist when they released new products and now he's in the first month and a half of a new deal with a new manufacturer with 3 brands under their blanket. He's just testing out the plethora of options that comes with those 3 brands to build his bag. Once he's got that figured out, I don't think he'll make too many changes unless new stuff comes out.

Crossfield is a club HO.....he switches clubs like he switches underwear......love his videos and all and for me, as an amateur, who has been a life long golf maniac, he is an influencer. In the sense I will hit a big box store and see if his reviews align with what I think and see in the store. So, his videos get me to the store and if I hit something he reviewed and It performs, I might buy it.
I think the "influencers" need to take a different angle with the reviews though....its becoming very very stale watching each reviewer talk about "angle of descent" and "peak height"....and even though spin #'s and launch are important, its BOOOOOOORING......most amateurs do not care. Only us hardcore fans. I am not sure ive ever heard another amateur on the course talk about this stuff....only that they "hit a bomb" and scored well.
The incremental differences we see with new tech is so small in the amateur world, IMO, most amateur golfers don't care. They like to hit it far and they are into aesthetics.
I think the real value watching Crossfield and all the others comes when they put a mid-high HDCP player on the monitor and you see them hitting blades vs an SGI. That type of video, to me, is really good.
Id like to see the industry reviewers change to full on course testing....I know they do some of that but id like to see blades vs SGI in deep rough or just in every day play.  Lets face it, a lot of amateurs play from the rough quite often and reviewing clubs that perform in ALL conditions could be very helpful.
anyway, I'm glad he is with Srixon because I am in the marklet for new irons and the T100S and the Z785's are on my radar.....

Yeah Crossfield is a normal ho, he does it for the money 🙂

• Haha 1