TESTERS WANTED! ×

My GolfTec lesson ... a positive experience!

[.. ooops .. ended up adding updates at the end.. \/ ..]

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I did Golftec lesson plan couple years ago. I got the lessons and a 3 month unlimited practice. Being from Cincinnati, the indoor practice with video was so helpful. The lessons were great and the Clubhouse allowed me to get recaps of the lesson to help me remember things. Hope your time is as good 

WITB

TS2 10.5 

M2 3HL

Mavrik Max 5W

Titleist 818 4 hybrid 

Mizuno JPX921 HMP 5-Gap

Mizuno S19 56

Maltby TSW 60

Bobby Grace Shiloh putter

thanks for the write-up. I got a Golftec lesson/eval/fitting package for Christmas and looking forward to it.

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

Really nice write up. 

I have a friend that really likes GT and has been going there for several years. He's seen much improvement in his game.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Thanks for sharing! Based on my experience thus far, I really enjoy working with teaching pros on the course or at an actual driving range hitting off grass, but I'm also a huge numbers guy and would be interested in seeing more data. I may just have to give GolfTec a try sometime in the not-too-distant future.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

On 1/3/2020 at 9:20 AM, TR1PTIK said:

Thanks for sharing! Based on my experience thus far, I really enjoy working with teaching pros on the course or at an actual driving range hitting off grass, but I'm also a huge numbers guy and would be interested in seeing more data. I may just have to give GolfTec a try sometime in the not-too-distant future.

Thanks for reading! I agree - I prefer an outdoor lesson and Larry (the coach) told me that can be arranged ... come Springtime! In fact, he said they prefer to do their short game lessons outdoors. 

Re: data -- in addition to the all the LM output, during a lesson the coach can customize the video feed to overlay any selected data points that are being emphasized; see..
https://www.golftec.com/swingtru
..for a few examples.

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

On 1/2/2020 at 11:43 AM, PlaidJacket said:

Really nice write up. 

I have a friend that really likes GT and has been going there for several years. He's seen much improvement in his game.

Thank you, sir! Glad to hear about your friend - indicates that my experience was not an isolated anomaly... 👍

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

On 1/2/2020 at 8:12 AM, JonMUSC08 said:

thanks for the write-up. I got a Golftec lesson/eval/fitting package for Christmas and looking forward to it.

Thanks for reading! That's a nice gift! ..really hope your experience goes well for you, too!! 

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

On 1/2/2020 at 6:29 AM, Rchang said:

I did Golftec lesson plan couple years ago. I got the lessons and a 3 month unlimited practice. Being from Cincinnati, the indoor practice with video was so helpful. The lessons were great and the Clubhouse allowed me to get recaps of the lesson to help me remember things. Hope your time is as good 

Yeah, the Clubhouse app/website are extremely helpful for post-lesson reviews. The short video clips that my coach has attached to each lesson are very helpful, too, to refer back to from time to time to remind myself not only to do the drills but also to remind myself to make sure I'm doing them correctly!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

On 1/1/2020 at 11:20 PM, sirchunksalot said:

Excellent write-up and thank you for sharing your experience. I'm going to tag this thread and follow along to see how it all works out for you. Good luck!

Thanks! Since that initial lesson I have been back for three more ... and I also found these to be super helpful to my swing and my game ... will update soon!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

That's the first time I've heard Golftec referred to as the "Natty Light of golf lessons".  I'm curious as to why some people say that.

In any case, glad to hear you had a good experience.  My plan is to get a fitting or a swing analysis from them in the spring .  The motion vest and what it adds to the video and resultant data really intrigues me.  It's actually a big reason I was thinking of making the 2+ hour drive to the nearest Golftec.  

7 minutes ago, TwoCoatsOfWax said:

That's the first time I've heard Golftec referred to as the "Natty Light of golf lessons".

No, that's just my own warped sense of humor! Well, that plus my beer snobbishness (prefer craft IPAs) 😝

Their swing analysis can definitely be eye-opening .. ie. seeing in big red numbers the "feel vs real" of your swing..! Very worthwhile, imho. 

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Thanks for the write-up @cksurfdude! My wife got me a swing evaluation for my birthday to check out the local Golftec and decide on whether a lesson package might be right for me.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Thx for reading, and really hope you get a good coach you "click with" so your eval goes well for you! Let us know......

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

I'd say you hit the nail on the head @cksurfdude! I've been going to GT for 2 years now and my hdcp went from 11 or 12 to a 9 currently, and I even got to an 8 for about a month last summer. I also buy the 'lessons only' package since I can swing in my garage or a golf dome (which has TopTracer now).  I've been able to use the hitting bay after a lesson a couple times if they don't have another person coming in. It's nice to be able to use those floor controls (green buttons) to review your swing and verify what you feel and what is really happening are the same. 

On 1/10/2020 at 2:52 PM, WillGolf4Food said:

I'd say you hit the nail on the head @cksurfdude! I've been going to GT for 2 years now and my hdcp went from 11 or 12 to a 9 currently, and I even got to an 8 for about a month last summer. I also buy the 'lessons only' package since I can swing in my garage or a golf dome (which has TopTracer now).  I've been able to use the hitting bay after a lesson a couple times if they don't have another person coming in. It's nice to be able to use those floor controls (green buttons) to review your swing and verify what you feel and what is really happening are the same. 

Thanks! And thx, too, about your positive experience. 

There have been several good mentions of Golftec in here so I'm definitely feeling much more comfortable now about putting my trust in my new coach!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A quick fyi: had another lesson today (more on that coming soon) and saw that the GolfTec I go to just got all new Mizuno golf balls (replacing the Callaway practice ones).

Oh, and - there's a nice upgrade coming out (sometime later this year) to the motion capture vest where it will become smaller and wireless (currently there's a "tail" of wires inside a flexible plastic conduit dragging behind you).

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

• 1 month later...

OK, after several weeks of lessons and practice have a meaningful update...

I'd mentioned in the opening post that after the initial swing evaluation I'd signed on for a pack of 10 lesson "credits", where each credit = one 1/2 hour session, and that I'd decided to use them in 1/2 hr increments and stretch them out .. ie. going back in about every week and a half to two weeks apart. In between I spent time working on the things we'd covered and also on the drills assigned, both at home and occasionally at the range. 

Well, the incremental process seems to be working out for me .. but let's start with a vid clip from the first lesson (Dec. 3, 2019) and a full swing with a 9i...

As you can see, despite some progress last Summer, I'm reverting to a lot of old, bad habits including bent arms, getting "scoopy" with the hands but primarily hanging back on the back foot through impact. Yuck!

Now.. compare that to this next clip from the most recent lesson (Feb. 13, 2020) .. here we were working on pitching different distances with different wedges (this clip is about 80-85 with a GW), so no - not directly comparable to a 9i full swing, but you can really see some better things starting to come out ... including straighter arms, maintaining better posture throughout the swing (and so, more on-plane) and especially starting to move the body into and through impact. Yea!

(yeah i still have a funky little forward press thing going on...)

During the course of the lessons, with a few unseasonably mild days here in NY and a long weekend trip to Florida, I've been able to get outside and play (mostly 9 holes) 7 times so far this year. I'm not saying it's all great golf but I do see a clear progression in the ratio of good, or playable, shots vs bad mistakes or compounded mistakes; also I feel like I'm starting to think less about the How am I gonna.. of the technique of the next shot and more of the What kind of shot do I want to hit to my next target.

My most recent two 9-hole rounds .. two days apart on the same course, similar conditions .. could not have been more different (more here in "How'd You Play?"... https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/6351-howd-you-play/?do=findComment&comment=601411) -- the first was one of my worst rounds while the second represents a new PB! Of course I'm really happy with that but not discouraged by the first as I see that I'm still very much working on internalizing all the new, good stuff into my on-course play.

So.. I'm gonna continue with the rest of the lessons, and with the drills and practicing, and plan to sign up for another lesson pack (Golftec currently has a March sale, if anyone's interested - plz see my referral link at end of first post which gives us each a $100 credit!) .. which I'll stretch out over the Spring and Summer so I can continue this process of working on and improving my skills and confidence.

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

I had a very favorable experience at GolfTech two years ago. In March they have a sale on lesson packs so i signed up for the 10 lesson pack and got 20% off. I made sure to use the unlimited practice about 3 times a week and scheduled a lesson about every 2 weeks. The video practice was the most beneficial because it was an easy way for me to see my swing and get on the correct path. It was also helpful to play 18 and discuss my misses with the coach to guide the lessons. I used the free fitting for new driver and woods.

Before the lessons i was barely breaking 100 consistently. After the 10 lessons and 3 months of video practice i dropped about 10 shots and broke 90 once. I am still a high handicapper, but my GT experience was outstanding.

:ping-small: G410 9* Evenflow Black 75 6.0

:ping-small: G410 3W Evenflow Black 85 6.0

:ping-small: G410 5W, 4H Evenflow Black 85 6.0

:callaway-small: Mavrik Pro 5-AW TT Elevate 95 S

:vokey-small: SM9 54F, 58D

:scotty-cameron-1: 2020 Special Select Newport 2

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:wilson-small: Triad

3 hours ago, Fieldrj said:

I had a very favorable experience at GolfTec.......

Nice to hear, and REALLY nice to hear about your improvement!!!

Kinda parallels my progress, too .. lo to mid, too often hi, 90s but now I know I'm moving solidly towards being a (regular?!?) 80s shooter. 

Keep up the great work!

Don't know if you read all of my initial post, but I'd mentioned I skipped going for the "Game Plan" package as I knew I wouldn't be driving in traffic back and forth to the facility often enough to make it worthwhile for me. But I do plan on "re-upping" with another lesson pack during March!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

So unfortunately everything kinda "on hold" now, but will be working on a set of drills I've compiled from my lessons to date. 

In a quick bit of good news, the last two times I was able to get out and play I've felt like some of the good swing changes are slooooowly starting to creep their way into my on-course swing. Sometimes... Not really scoring hugely better (yet?) .. and still (always!) need more work on the short game .. but I can see that my misses are coming in closer to the intended target and are not as erratic as in previous seasons. Progress! 

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Brief update:
It's been about 6 (!!!) weeks since my last lesson, and I've been working on some of the drills the coach suggested; alternating those with swinging some training aids I have or hitting into a net (some full swing but mostly a lot of chipping and pitching). And, of course, I also practice putting on a mat in the basement.

So was swinging in the garage a bit yesterday, full swings with an old 8i ... using a simulator I'd bought years ago but have not used much at all ... and while there is always some more work to do I felt like the swing was really "loosening up" and I was starting to move through the whole backswing - transition - downswing much better.

Here's a screenshot of the sim's practice range...
20200416_165631.thumb.jpg.43f67f867c1103d598bf65d8f8f92871.jpg

The "map" at upper-left shows the grouping of balls - not too terrible after 20 shots with a typical oval pattern long-left to short-right (RH'ed player). Ignore that Max shot (that can't be right) but the Avg at 130-ish is about what I expected for my 8i. You can see in the stats at the upper-right that it shows you the Offline for each individual shot but doesn't aggregate that number into the Avg (yeah that last shot was fluffed way out to the right).

Anyway, gonna try and hit the same club the same number of times soon on the SkyTrak (which gives you a better representation of overall dispersion) and compare the results. 

🎼 Hi-ho Hi-ho 🎵 In-to the garage we go... 🎶 

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

I've been taking lessons out of GolfTec for over a year now.  Didn't sign up for a plan, just pay as you go stuff.  It's worked; showed up as an 11, I'm a 7 now.

That said, I would offer some advice to anyone thinking about going the GolfTec route.

One, go to the website and you should be able to find the roster of coaches, and their credentials.  You'll find some guys with years of experience, certifications, and accolades, and you'll also find some with none of that, yet the rate for each is the same.  Point is, if you call and ask for a lesson, you're going to get whomever is available.  If you call and ask for a lesson from a particular coach, you might have to wait a little longer to get in, but maybe that's a good thing right?  Maybe the busy coaches are busy because they're good?  Comfort level and rapport are maybe just as important as professional credentials and years of experience, but it's something to think about.

Second, and this part really irked me at first, but GolfTEC is a business based on throughput.  My first lesson or two I had the benefit of maybe 5-10 shots before the diagnosis and coaching began, and if you're like me it takes a lot more than 5-10 shots to get warm and loose and swinging how I normally do.  So, I learned to arrive 15 minutes early.  If a bay is open (at least at the location I go to) they'll let you start hitting balls and getting truly warmed up.  If not, you can still stretch and maybe break out the Orange Whip in the parking lot.

Overall I'm very pleased with the experience and am definitely seeing results.  Just a couple things to think about...

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

1 hour ago, AFGolfer said:

Comfort level and rapport are maybe just as important as professional credentials and years of experience

Totally agree! I've been lucky in that even with having seen a few different instructors over the years, each has been qualifed but more importantly has been friendly and easy to communicate with (if they weren't it would've been just one & done).

I felt I was lucky again at GolfTec .. but .. unfortunately .. I received a call recently from another coach (as they call themselves there) that my buddy Larry and GolfTec "have parted ways".....

I get a free 1/2 hour "transition" lesson with the new coach, so whenever that gets to happen we'll see how he and I get along ... I still have two more paid lessons remaining in my current plan.

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Summer update:

Swing .. while still very much a work-in-progress .. is definitely progressing. Starting to swing more freely off the tee and generally getting those shots out there and generally in or near to the fairway (generally!!).

Short game is usually solid (on a relative basis for a recreational hacker) but where I seem to mess up the most often are second shots / approaches.

So... Going back in (after 5 month hiatus) for another lesson a week from now.

====

* Important Note on GolfTec lesson packs:

All package plans you purchase from GolfTec have an expiration date!!

... between the COVID shutdown and waiting to schedule an outdoor lesson, I kinda lost track of my end date ... when I went to book yesterday I found their system had zeroed out my two remaining lesson credits......

Sent an email to my coach and he called me directly the next day ... said he would give me add'l flexibility and let me book the remaining lessons with him, and worked with me on the phone to find the time when their center would be the least busy .... nice!!

====

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

I have been going to Golftec since the first of the year.  They definitely use the pro stats as a measurement and the perfect swing.  My coach also realizes that is not me and gets me closer to those stats.  I bought the lesson practice plan which is great for me since it is less than 5 minutes from my house.  I have to admit the changes have been a challenge to change my habits and has caused some struggles on the course.  However it has started to turn around and shooting some of my best scores of the season.  Two friends have also gone to Golftec with sucess after some initial struggle .  They will tell me they know my frustrations and trust the process, it does work.  

I would say the most important thing is communication with your coach.  The more feedback I give him I feel the more he tailors the lessons to me.  Going next week for the first outdoor playing lesson, which I am looking forward to doing.

Driver Taylor Made M4

Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal

Mizuno ES 21 Wedges

Taylor Made TP Collection Putter

16 minutes ago, mwr57 said:

I have been going to Golftec since the first of the year.  They definitely use the pro stats as a measurement and the perfect swing.  My coach also realizes that is not me and gets me closer to those stats.  I bought the lesson practice plan which is great for me since it is less than 5 minutes from my house.  I have to admit the changes have been a challenge to change my habits and has caused some struggles on the course.  However it has started to turn around and shooting some of my best scores of the season.  Two friends have also gone to Golftec with sucess after some initial struggle .  They will tell me they know my frustrations and trust the process, it does work.  

I would say the most important thing is communication with your coach.  The more feedback I give him I feel the more he tailors the lessons to me.  Going next week for the first outdoor playing lesson, which I am looking forward to doing.

Oh yeah - swing changes do take time to sink in! More practice time, vs playing time, can be beneficial (but unfortunately my range time has been very limited this season.....).

I'd prefer an outdoor lesson regardless of COVID-19 and asked about scheduling one but was told the course / range my center uses has not allowed them back yet.....

Good luck with your progress 👍

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Hey CK, I lost track of this thread, glad to see it revived.I started the 10 lesson pack about 4 or 5 weeks ago.  We made some really good progress in the first lesson that helped with my hip rotation and shoulder turn. I picked up about 6-8 mph in ball speed with the 7 iron in that one session.

Since then we have worked on swing path, club face at impact and weight transfer.  I've had pretty good success with swing path for the most part, the other two are still works in progress, especially the weight transfer.  For so many years prior to my knee replacements, I avoided putting weight on my left--lead--leg as it just couldn't bear it.    So it's proving to be one of the toughest things to change at this point along with my wrist position.

As has been said many times, what we feel is so far different than reality, when you see it on video.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12