Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

My GolfTec lesson ... a positive experience!

3 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

As has been said many times, what we feel is so far different than reality, when you see it on video.

I truly *hated* seeing myself on video, and had actually avoided it before GolfTec, buuuut ..... from the first little swing clip I immediately recognized the value of that form of feedback.

Being able to actually see yourself swing .. with your coach describing / explaining things .. and compare it to what you thought you felt can be really eye-opening and a gateway to making good changes!

I always had trouble with good weight transfer and with swing plane / path issues and with... ...well basically every part of the golf swing... ...and the lessons have been a good progression. Sure I still make plenty of mistakes and miss-hits on the course but overall I can see that I'm definitely playing better this season!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I've had a great GolfTec experience. Didn't sign up for a plan but went more "pay as you go" but I've definitely improved over the two years and 10-12 lessons I've experienced.  For me, having the app and the ability to reference those lessons, and having "dry" drills that I can do in the basement, has been key.  Full-time job, 3 little kids...can't always get out to the range with regularity.

Glad to see you're seeing positive results as well.  

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

Going in later today for the second lesson with my new coach (the one I started with retired) ... and what was most interesting about our first lesson together was he quickly focused in on a few basic fundamentals, that either I'd not been properly taught before or had totally forgotten about / moved away from (the more likely scenario LOL!).

For example, he showed me a still frame from the DTL vid cam showing my setup and asked me where my weight in my feet was -- and (even I could see LOL again!) it was clearly back in my heels, with too-straight knees plus a hunched-over back ... all in all a pretty bad combo for trying to make good contact with the ball. Showed me a good trick to use to help set up more consistently, too.

We also worked for a bit with a rubber kickball between my arms (larger than a Tour Striker Smart Ball; which I have and am now practicing more with!) to get the feel of using the body relatively more to power the swing and to reduce the "hit" on the ball with (relatively more) arms, wrists and hands. Yes - they're important also but he wants me to get me to improve my transition and weight shift before even thinking about more power (Tim Allen har harr 😆).

Had a good range session earlier in the week trying to focus on these things - setup, balance, better arm "structure" - and had some good results but I can see it's gonna take me a while and a lot more work to apply all this good stuff out on the course...........

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

Visual comparative....

..then...
First GolfTec lesson 2019-11-05 ... too much movement, excess backswing and swaying off the ball...

..and now...
Most recent lesson (to date) 2020-09-04 ... making some progress - the drill here is to bump into the black cylinder at the start of the transition...

(..si la mascarilla es muy annoying 😆)

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

3 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

Visual comparative....

..then...
First GolfTec lesson 2019-11-05 ... too much movement, excess backswing and swaying off the ball...

..and now...
Most recent lesson (to date) 2020-09-04 ... making some progress - the drill here is to bump into the black cylinder at the start of the transition...

Good stuff.
Same issue, i have been working on.  Im on lesson 5 i think?

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

5 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

Visual comparative....

..then...

..and now...

Looks good.  Much better than mine right now!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

hey @cksurfdude this is a great thread and it looks like you’re getting the most out of your lesson package at GT. swing is coming along nicely man!

if i may offer my 2 cents, and i’m only doing so because you mentioned Pete’s in your original post, when your package runs out you should check out Kirk Oguri the pga pro at Pete’s. i had my first lesson with him on Sunday and he was fantastic. 

i don’t mean in any way to hijack your thread, just wanted to pass along another great option. you can message me if that works better for keeping your thread on track 

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

9 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Looks good.  Much better than mine right now!!

Thanks! ...but that's still just a practice swing .. we'll see over time how much I can translate all of it to the course...

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

8 hours ago, Chip Strokes said:

hey @cksurfdude this is a great thread and it looks like you’re getting the most out of your lesson package at GT. swing is coming along nicely man!

if i may offer my 2 cents, and i’m only doing so because you mentioned Pete’s in your original post, when your package runs out you should check out Kirk Oguri the pga pro at Pete’s. i had my first lesson with him on Sunday and he was fantastic. 

i don’t mean in any way to hijack your thread, just wanted to pass along another great option. you can message me if that works better for keeping your thread on track 

Thx! And thx for reading .. yeah making progress .. but .. have to keep telling myself to be patient and to keep doing the drills. The golf swing is hard dammmmit! 😂

Pete's is a good suggestion, thx for that - will keep it mind for the future. I just .. literally in the last few days .. extended the GolfTec lessons as I'd accumulated some referral credits so wanted to use them. But def making a note of Kirk's name 👍

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if GolfTec just rents out bay time? Looking for options for the winter and I think 30 minutes on their launch monitor would be more productive than a range session in below freezing temps.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

18 minutes ago, Tsmithjr9 said:

Does anyone know if GolfTec just rents out bay time? 

Yes - you can buy (just) practice time! They'll .. of course .. try to upsell you into a package but _I think_ there are practice time only plans -- check their website.

FYI .. each bay has a push-button panel on the floor that you can activate with the handle end of your club to access video functions and LM output.

Shameless plug - if you do decide to sign up, consider using my referral link (bottom of 1st post, Pg 1) and we'll both get $100 credit 🙂

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Yes - you can buy (just) practice time! They'll .. of course .. try to upsell you into a package but _I think_ there are practice time only plans -- check their website.
FYI .. each bay has a push-button panel on the floor that you can activate with the handle end of your club to access video functions and LM output.
Shameless plug - if you do decide to sign up, consider using my referral link (bottom of 1st post, Pg 1) and we'll both get $100 credit
That's awesome, thanks. If I go this route I will use your referral. I've read through this post, and like you I am hesitant (or you were) about going to a cookie cutter place for lessons.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

32 minutes ago, Tsmithjr9 said:

That's awesome, thanks. If I go this route I will use your referral. I've read through this post, and like you I am hesitant (or you were) about going to a cookie cutter place for lessons.

Take Dead Aim

Sounds good, thx! Hope it works out for you 👍

I'd actually started with a free evaluation that I happened to see last Fall .. not sure if it's a regular promo they run every year, tho. 

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

• 1 month later...

I’m sad to report 😥 that I have divorced myself from GolfTec lessons 

After 7 sessions I just felt we weren’t making prorgess like i should.  As the student i shoulder most of the blame, ultimately it comes down to me putting in the work and being able to grasp the concept of what the instructor is showing you. 

That said, I am disappointed that he didn’t pick up on that, and find another approach or some other trigger that might have worked for me.  I had posted about that before and mentioned it at my last lesson, but it didnt seem to make a difference.  He kept heading down the same road. 

On the bright side I’m not quitting on lessons.  I took 1 lesson from a private instructor not part of a chain system.   He seems to have a much broader tool box to pull from and isn’t tied into a system like golftec seems to be.  

So i’m looking forward to continuing with him.  

53 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

On the bright side I’m not quitting on lessons.  I took 1 lesson from a private instructor not part of a chain system.   He seems to have a much broader tool box to pull from and isn’t tied into a system like golftec seems to be.  

It's all about finding the right fit between student and instructor.  In my opinion, once you get somewhat accomplished in getting around the course you want to work with someone that will work with the swing you have, and refine it from that point. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

1 hour ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

As the student i shoulder most of the blame, ultimately it comes down to me putting in the work and being able to grasp the concept of what the instructor is showing you. 

You touch on it in the next paragraph, but your instructor should have been able to offer a different feel to help you along. No two people feel the same things.

Sounds like you did the right thing to suggest a different trigger or swing thought. At the end of the day it cost him business being unable to adapt.

And even better that you've found another coach that you like already. 

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

1 hour ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I’m sad to report 😥 that I have divorced myself from GolfTec lessons ...(etc.)...

No.. in anything you have know when to "call it" and cut & run ... and invest your time and energy (and $$) more productively elsewhere.

GolfTec does have this thing where they like to keep a student paired with a particular coach .. so that each coach gets to know each student's tendencies; buuuut .. it's not on you -- it's like like @edingc mentioned the GT coach / GT center should have taken better note and been more proactive...

---

It's interesting .. and the people who are on here can fully appreciate .. since golf is such a major part of our lives, then clear and effective communication with those in whom we place our "golf trust" is an absolute requirement!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

2 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

After 7 sessions I just felt we weren’t making prorgess like i should.

On a somewhat related note... fully 19 months ago (just checked the date) I'd attended a mental game clinic - my last 9 hole round (detailed in "How'd You Play?") I feel like I finally put those lessons and concepts to use during play on the course.

So the point being.... My current GT lessons should "hit" in the Spring of '22 ... 😉☺️🤪

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

15 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

No.. in anything you have know when to "call it" and cut & run ... and invest your time and energy (and $$) more productively elsewhere.

GolfTec does have this thing where they like to keep a student paired with a particular coach .. so that each coach gets to know each student's tendencies; buuuut .. it's not on you -- it's like like @edingc mentioned the GT coach / GT center should have taken better note and been more proactive...

---

It's interesting .. and the people who are on here can fully appreciate .. since golf is such a major part of our lives, then clear and effective communication with those in whom we place our "golf trust" is an absolute requirement!

Thanks. Some good thoughts there. 

You are correct in how they do there things and sticking with the same instructor could be good or bad.   That was one my hesitation in the beginning to sign up with them. 

In this case it didn’t work out. According to him, I’m leaving $$ on the table by stopping before my package is up.   But i lost all motivation to go in and continue on without seeing any progress or light bulb light up. 

Oh well, time to focus on the new instructor and approach. 

7 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I’m leaving $$ on the table

Maybe ask .. if you're interested and don't already have the capabilities .. if you can convert those $$ into practice time at the center (you get to use the LM and video playback)..?

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

10 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Maybe ask .. if you're interested and don't already have the capabilities .. if you can convert those $$ into practice time at the center (you get to use the LM and video playback)..?

He offered a playing lesson.  Which I mind of found to be a bit ironic 🤷‍♂️

But yeah I was going to ask about the practice time.   But in a way I’d feel awkward going in there.  In the back of my mind I’d be wondering if he was still watching me 😬

10 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

But yeah I was going to ask about the practice time.   But in a way I’d feel awkward going in there.  In the back of my mind I’d be wondering if he was still watching me 😬

image.gif.74d9c0356f55d6243be03ea8ce379936.gif

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

So speaking (in another thread) of LM anomalies ... during my lesson (using a GC Quad in the GolfTec center) I hit a 170 yd 7 iron....
(yeah both the instructor and I were looking at it in disbelief, too!)

Now note 1: no, I don't expect to *ever* repeat that trick; and note 2: yes, that is like 2 or more clubs longer vs my typical 7i!!

We've been working on literally rebuilding my swing, with the primary goals of creating a better path coming into the ball along with a better weight shift starting at transition and continuing all the way through and past impact. Another key work-in-progress is extending my trail (right) elbow coming in to impact so that both arms are extended and I have a "wider swing arc". 

Well.. all of that good stuff must have come together in that one magical moment?!?!?

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

18 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Well.. all of that good stuff must have come together in that one magical moment?!?!?

Let's go with that!!!   

Sometimes there are misreads based on where the ball is located or the stickers get messed up.   during one of the most wanted tests a few weeks ago, my face angle on a bunch of iron shots was 60* closed but the ball was going straight.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 10/27/2020 at 3:39 PM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

After 7 sessions I just felt we weren’t making prorgess like i should.  As the student i shoulder most of the blame, ultimately it comes down to me putting in the work and being able to grasp the concept of what the instructor is showing you. 

That said, I am disappointed that he didn’t pick up on that, and find another approach or some other trigger that might have worked for me.  I had posted about that before and mentioned it at my last lesson, but it didnt seem to make a difference.  He kept heading down the same road. 

I had more or less the same experience at GolfTec. We spent like 10 lessons on "swing to the right" and that just has never worked for me. I asked for other drills or feels but we kept coming back to the same ones focused on "swing to the right". 

I had made significantly more progress in one lesson with a different instructor, but unfortunately that instructor is in So Cal, and I go to So Cal much less now with Covid. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

• 1 month later...
On 10/27/2020 at 3:39 PM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I am in the exact same boat. Bought a 10 pack last spring (2020 Febuaryish) hoping to figure out my driver. Driver used to be my best club in the bag. May 2018 I developed a bit of a draw (fine) which turned into WTF just happened.  I used my 4 iron off the tee for 2019. 

Initial lesson was hit 2 drivers and then lets see a 7 iron. I had it to where I could work my 7 iron left, right straight. First thing instructor says, We need to fix this and this the proper way. At the time my HDC was 14.6 and trending down according to "The Grint". He pulls out this pool noodle and said we need you to hit the ball with a fade. I was like why I like my ball flight now and can play pretty decent. His response, " so we can get you to work the ball the correct way".  I scratched my head and like a dummy was like ok your pro. After lesson 4,  I told mr Instructor this isn't working and my HDC has gone up to 16.9. I started canceling lessons and pushing them out. Lesson 5, pool noodle, I have ZERO control of the ball and still can't hit my driver during play. I felt that if I saw that flipping pool noodle I was going to wrap it around his neck. Lesson 6, pool noodle. I told him this isn't working and the noodle is going to go away. At this point I lost all confidence is his teaching. I told him all I wanted was to be able to hit my driver again, my irons were fine when I came in and now my HDC went 18.5. Lesson 7, he says lets hit the driver and 3 wood. I was like ok here we go this is what I paid for. Well, 4 shots with each and back to the 7 iron and the flipping noodle. I told him my back tightened up and needed to call it a day. It was that or 22 year old me was about to blow up. I'm 50 now so it would have been bad in so many ways none of them good. 

I sent him an email out lining all this in detail and wanted something different. Crickets for like 6 weeks. I get an email from him, hey we haven't seen you in a while bla bla bla. I sent him the same email as before. I didn't even get crickets back. My last lesson was June 6th. Oct 2020 I get another email saying hey you have 3 lessons left can we get those scheduled?? I sent him a shorter email with the same info. He responded with, " you have 3 lessons and have till March to get them in. He laid out how my swing was in June (the swing he had me working on) and how we needed to fix it.  WTF???

I have 3 lessons left and either want a new instructor (not my first choice), money back which I don't think they will do, or some other option. 

Sorry for the long vent. My suggestion, If you don't like how the guy is teaching, get out fast. I didn't do that and my game and wallet are paying the price. 

Sub 70 949 D 9* HZRUDS 60G 6.5 smoke RDX shaft. 

Sub 70 949X 4 wood ALDILA ABV 65-S shaft

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

Callaway 56 and 58 wedge. 

OG White Hot #1 putter

1 hour ago, JFish350 said:

My suggestion, If you don't like how the guy is teaching, get out fast.

Yes, definitely .. I'd agree that's true anywhere, with any pro...

But sorry to hear about your negative experience. My initial hesitation going there was I thought they'd be too "formulaic" .. and it sounds like your pro was rigidly by the book.

Maybe (if you still have the patience) try...

1. Going on to your location's website and check out the other instructors at your center; then..
  2. Schedule a time with the coach that looks better to you.
  3. If that doesn't work, find out who the center's manager is and *call* to speak with them.
  4. If that doesn't work, maybe try to contact GolfTec HQ (in Colorado, I think?)
  5. Or - see if you can convert the remaining lessons into Practice time (if that interests you).

Too bad that instructor was not more receptive to your input! The student is supposed to be able to tell the instructor what he/she wants to work on.

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

2 hours ago, JFish350 said:

I am in the exact same boat. Bought a 10 pack last spring (2020 Febuaryish) hoping to figure out my driver. Driver used to be my best club in the bag. May 2018 I developed a bit of a draw (fine) which turned into WTF just happened.  I used my 4 iron off the tee for 2019. 

Initial lesson was hit 2 drivers and then lets see a 7 iron. I had it to where I could work my 7 iron left, right straight. First thing instructor says, We need to fix this and this the proper way. At the time my HDC was 14.6 and trending down according to "The Grint". He pulls out this pool noodle and said we need you to hit the ball with a fade. I was like why I like my ball flight now and can play pretty decent. His response, " so we can get you to work the ball the correct way".  I scratched my head and like a dummy was like ok your pro. After lesson 4,  I told mr Instructor this isn't working and my HDC has gone up to 16.9. I started canceling lessons and pushing them out. Lesson 5, pool noodle, I have ZERO control of the ball and still can't hit my driver during play. I felt that if I saw that flipping pool noodle I was going to wrap it around his neck. Lesson 6, pool noodle. I told him this isn't working and the noodle is going to go away. At this point I lost all confidence is his teaching. I told him all I wanted was to be able to hit my driver again, my irons were fine when I came in and now my HDC went 18.5. Lesson 7, he says lets hit the driver and 3 wood. I was like ok here we go this is what I paid for. Well, 4 shots with each and back to the 7 iron and the flipping noodle. I told him my back tightened up and needed to call it a day. It was that or 22 year old me was about to blow up. I'm 50 now so it would have been bad in so many ways none of them good. 

I sent him an email out lining all this in detail and wanted something different. Crickets for like 6 weeks. I get an email from him, hey we haven't seen you in a while bla bla bla. I sent him the same email as before. I didn't even get crickets back. My last lesson was June 6th. Oct 2020 I get another email saying hey you have 3 lessons left can we get those scheduled?? I sent him a shorter email with the same info. He responded with, " you have 3 lessons and have till March to get them in. He laid out how my swing was in June (the swing he had me working on) and how we needed to fix it.  WTF???

I have 3 lessons left and either want a new instructor (not my first choice), money back which I don't think they will do, or some other option. 

Sorry for the long vent. My suggestion, If you don't like how the guy is teaching, get out fast. I didn't do that and my game and wallet are paying the price. 

"The Flipping Noodle"  I love it. Your rant is justified  I can't tell you how many times my guy pulled that out.  I guess that's their go to!  

In the subsequent lesson I took from my new instructor, he didn't pull out one aid.  Other than he had me lay aln alignment stick down for stance purposes.  Other than that it was just working my shot with his watching me then demonstrating something for me to try. 

I haven't been able to see him for several weeks as he's busy closing and moving into a new house along with getting his PT exams.   But I learned more in 1 hour with him than I did in 7 sessions with GolfTec.   I'm not saying the whole chain is bad, just didn't connect with this instructor. 

2 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

"The Flipping Noodle"  I love it. Your rant is justified  I can't tell you how many times my guy pulled that out.  I guess that's their go to!  

In the subsequent lesson I took from my new instructor, he didn't pull out one aid.  Other than he had me lay aln alignment stick down for stance purposes.  Other than that it was just working my shot with his watching me then demonstrating something for me to try. 

I haven't been able to see him for several weeks as he's busy closing and moving into a new house along with getting his PT exams.   But I learned more in 1 hour with him than I did in 7 sessions with GolfTec.   I'm not saying the whole chain is bad, just didn't connect with this instructor. 

I had the same pool noodle experience at Golf tec as well... My backswing kept getting more and more inside because thats what i thought i needed to do to avoid hitting the noodle on the way down. Was left with a terrible super inside backswing, and that was never addressed, just trying to avoid hitting the noodle.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

8 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Yeah, definitely hit or miss.  As @cksurfdudealluded to, the trick and challenge with them is finding the right coach among the staff.  I've had a great experience at GolfTec, but I did my research on their site...among all of their bios, some looked okay, but one guy was the Nebraska PGA Teacher of the Year five times.  Kind of an easy decision.

Even having the credentials didn't mean I would gel with the guy, but I got lucky and I did.  And he's only broken out one training aid, a Tour Striker Smart Ball.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1: