My GolfTec lesson ... a positive experience!

I had a very favorable experience at GolfTech two years ago. In March they have a sale on lesson packs so i signed up for the 10 lesson pack and got 20% off. I made sure to use the unlimited practice about 3 times a week and scheduled a lesson about every 2 weeks. The video practice was the most beneficial because it was an easy way for me to see my swing and get on the correct path. It was also helpful to play 18 and discuss my misses with the coach to guide the lessons. I used the free fitting for new driver and woods.

Before the lessons i was barely breaking 100 consistently. After the 10 lessons and 3 months of video practice i dropped about 10 shots and broke 90 once. I am still a high handicapper, but my GT experience was outstanding.

• Like 2

:callaway-small: Rogue 10.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black 60 6.0

:ping-small: G400 3W, 5W, 4H Alta CB S

:callaway-small: Mavrik Pro 5-AW TT Elevate 95 S

:vokey-small: SM6 54S, 58S TT Dynamic Gold

:odyssey-small: Lab Works 7s

:bridgestone-small:Tour B X :titelist-small: ProV1

3 hours ago, Fieldrj said:

I had a very favorable experience at GolfTec.......

Nice to hear, and REALLY nice to hear about your improvement!!!

Kinda parallels my progress, too .. lo to mid, too often hi, 90s but now I know I'm moving solidly towards being a (regular?!?) 80s shooter. 

Keep up the great work!

Don't know if you read all of my initial post, but I'd mentioned I skipped going for the "Game Plan" package as I knew I wouldn't be driving in traffic back and forth to the facility often enough to make it worthwhile for me. But I do plan on "re-upping" with another lesson pack during March!

• Like 2

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Callaway Epic Speed 4W (Project X Cypher)
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 7W (Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway Super Hybrid 23 (PX Catalyst) and Big Bertha 19 5H (Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g, P2 Reflex Tour)
..all in a Datrek bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator

• 4 weeks later...

So unfortunately everything kinda "on hold" now, but will be working on a set of drills I've compiled from my lessons to date. 

In a quick bit of good news, the last two times I was able to get out and play I've felt like some of the good swing changes are slooooowly starting to creep their way into my on-course swing. Sometimes... Not really scoring hugely better (yet?) .. and still (always!) need more work on the short game .. but I can see that my misses are coming in closer to the intended target and are not as erratic as in previous seasons. Progress! 

• Like 2

..all in a Datrek bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

• 4 weeks later...

Brief update:
It's been about 6 (!!!) weeks since my last lesson, and I've been working on some of the drills the coach suggested; alternating those with swinging some training aids I have or hitting into a net (some full swing but mostly a lot of chipping and pitching). And, of course, I also practice putting on a mat in the basement.

So was swinging in the garage a bit yesterday, full swings with an old 8i ... using a simulator I'd bought years ago but have not used much at all ... and while there is always some more work to do I felt like the swing was really "loosening up" and I was starting to move through the whole backswing - transition - downswing much better.

Here's a screenshot of the sim's practice range...
20200416_165631.thumb.jpg.43f67f867c1103d598bf65d8f8f92871.jpg

The "map" at upper-left shows the grouping of balls - not too terrible after 20 shots with a typical oval pattern long-left to short-right (RH'ed player). Ignore that Max shot (that can't be right) but the Avg at 130-ish is about what I expected for my 8i. You can see in the stats at the upper-right that it shows you the Offline for each individual shot but doesn't aggregate that number into the Avg (yeah that last shot was fluffed way out to the right).

Anyway, gonna try and hit the same club the same number of times soon on the SkyTrak (which gives you a better representation of overall dispersion) and compare the results. 

🎼 Hi-ho Hi-ho 🎵 In-to the garage we go... 🎶 

• Like 2

I've been taking lessons out of GolfTec for over a year now.  Didn't sign up for a plan, just pay as you go stuff.  It's worked; showed up as an 11, I'm a 7 now.

That said, I would offer some advice to anyone thinking about going the GolfTec route.

One, go to the website and you should be able to find the roster of coaches, and their credentials.  You'll find some guys with years of experience, certifications, and accolades, and you'll also find some with none of that, yet the rate for each is the same.  Point is, if you call and ask for a lesson, you're going to get whomever is available.  If you call and ask for a lesson from a particular coach, you might have to wait a little longer to get in, but maybe that's a good thing right?  Maybe the busy coaches are busy because they're good?  Comfort level and rapport are maybe just as important as professional credentials and years of experience, but it's something to think about.

Second, and this part really irked me at first, but GolfTEC is a business based on throughput.  My first lesson or two I had the benefit of maybe 5-10 shots before the diagnosis and coaching began, and if you're like me it takes a lot more than 5-10 shots to get warm and loose and swinging how I normally do.  So, I learned to arrive 15 minutes early.  If a bay is open (at least at the location I go to) they'll let you start hitting balls and getting truly warmed up.  If not, you can still stretch and maybe break out the Orange Whip in the parking lot.

Overall I'm very pleased with the experience and am definitely seeing results.  Just a couple things to think about...

• Like 2

Driver: TR20 460, Vizard 60g Stiff

FW:  CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 75g Stiff

Hybrids:  SIM DHY 3 & 4H, Diamana Limited Hybrid 75g Stiff

Iron: JPX 919 Forged 5-GW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges:SM8 54 S Grind, 60 M Grind

Putter:  ER7B 

Tested the Honma TR20 460 driver

1 hour ago, AFGolfer said:

Comfort level and rapport are maybe just as important as professional credentials and years of experience

Totally agree! I've been lucky in that even with having seen a few different instructors over the years, each has been qualifed but more importantly has been friendly and easy to communicate with (if they weren't it would've been just one & done).

I felt I was lucky again at GolfTec .. but .. unfortunately .. I received a call recently from another coach (as they call themselves there) that my buddy Larry and GolfTec "have parted ways".....

I get a free 1/2 hour "transition" lesson with the new coach, so whenever that gets to happen we'll see how he and I get along ... I still have two more paid lessons remaining in my current plan.

Summer update:

Swing .. while still very much a work-in-progress .. is definitely progressing. Starting to swing more freely off the tee and generally getting those shots out there and generally in or near to the fairway (generally!!).

Short game is usually solid (on a relative basis for a recreational hacker) but where I seem to mess up the most often are second shots / approaches.

So... Going back in (after 5 month hiatus) for another lesson a week from now.

====

* Important Note on GolfTec lesson packs:

All package plans you purchase from GolfTec have an expiration date!!

... between the COVID shutdown and waiting to schedule an outdoor lesson, I kinda lost track of my end date ... when I went to book yesterday I found their system had zeroed out my two remaining lesson credits......

Sent an email to my coach and he called me directly the next day ... said he would give me add'l flexibility and let me book the remaining lessons with him, and worked with me on the phone to find the time when their center would be the least busy .... nice!!

====

• Like 3

I have been going to Golftec since the first of the year.  They definitely use the pro stats as a measurement and the perfect swing.  My coach also realizes that is not me and gets me closer to those stats.  I bought the lesson practice plan which is great for me since it is less than 5 minutes from my house.  I have to admit the changes have been a challenge to change my habits and has caused some struggles on the course.  However it has started to turn around and shooting some of my best scores of the season.  Two friends have also gone to Golftec with sucess after some initial struggle .  They will tell me they know my frustrations and trust the process, it does work.  

I would say the most important thing is communication with your coach.  The more feedback I give him I feel the more he tailors the lessons to me.  Going next week for the first outdoor playing lesson, which I am looking forward to doing.

• Like 1

Driver Taylor Made M4

Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal

Mizuno ES 21 Wedges

Taylor Made TP Collection Putter

16 minutes ago, mwr57 said:

I have been going to Golftec since the first of the year.  They definitely use the pro stats as a measurement and the perfect swing.  My coach also realizes that is not me and gets me closer to those stats.  I bought the lesson practice plan which is great for me since it is less than 5 minutes from my house.  I have to admit the changes have been a challenge to change my habits and has caused some struggles on the course.  However it has started to turn around and shooting some of my best scores of the season.  Two friends have also gone to Golftec with sucess after some initial struggle .  They will tell me they know my frustrations and trust the process, it does work.  

I would say the most important thing is communication with your coach.  The more feedback I give him I feel the more he tailors the lessons to me.  Going next week for the first outdoor playing lesson, which I am looking forward to doing.

Oh yeah - swing changes do take time to sink in! More practice time, vs playing time, can be beneficial (but unfortunately my range time has been very limited this season.....).

I'd prefer an outdoor lesson regardless of COVID-19 and asked about scheduling one but was told the course / range my center uses has not allowed them back yet.....

Good luck with your progress 👍

• Like 2

Hey CK, I lost track of this thread, glad to see it revived.I started the 10 lesson pack about 4 or 5 weeks ago.  We made some really good progress in the first lesson that helped with my hip rotation and shoulder turn. I picked up about 6-8 mph in ball speed with the 7 iron in that one session.

Since then we have worked on swing path, club face at impact and weight transfer.  I've had pretty good success with swing path for the most part, the other two are still works in progress, especially the weight transfer.  For so many years prior to my knee replacements, I avoided putting weight on my left--lead--leg as it just couldn't bear it.    So it's proving to be one of the toughest things to change at this point along with my wrist position.

As has been said many times, what we feel is so far different than reality, when you see it on video.

• Like 6

:titelist-small: TSi2 Kuro Kage 50g R Flex

:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:ping-small: Heppler Tomcast 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

3 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

As has been said many times, what we feel is so far different than reality, when you see it on video.

I truly *hated* seeing myself on video, and had actually avoided it before GolfTec, buuuut ..... from the first little swing clip I immediately recognized the value of that form of feedback.

Being able to actually see yourself swing .. with your coach describing / explaining things .. and compare it to what you thought you felt can be really eye-opening and a gateway to making good changes!

I always had trouble with good weight transfer and with swing plane / path issues and with... ...well basically every part of the golf swing... ...and the lessons have been a good progression. Sure I still make plenty of mistakes and miss-hits on the course but overall I can see that I'm definitely playing better this season!

• Like 4

I've had a great GolfTec experience. Didn't sign up for a plan but went more "pay as you go" but I've definitely improved over the two years and 10-12 lessons I've experienced.  For me, having the app and the ability to reference those lessons, and having "dry" drills that I can do in the basement, has been key.  Full-time job, 3 little kids...can't always get out to the range with regularity.

Glad to see you're seeing positive results as well.  

• Like 1

Driver: TR20 460, Vizard 60g Stiff

FW:  CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 75g Stiff

Hybrids:  SIM DHY 3 & 4H, Diamana Limited Hybrid 75g Stiff

Iron: JPX 919 Forged 5-GW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges:SM8 54 S Grind, 60 M Grind

Putter:  ER7B 

Tested the Honma TR20 460 driver

Going in later today for the second lesson with my new coach (the one I started with retired) ... and what was most interesting about our first lesson together was he quickly focused in on a few basic fundamentals, that either I'd not been properly taught before or had totally forgotten about / moved away from (the more likely scenario LOL!).

For example, he showed me a still frame from the DTL vid cam showing my setup and asked me where my weight in my feet was -- and (even I could see LOL again!) it was clearly back in my heels, with too-straight knees plus a hunched-over back ... all in all a pretty bad combo for trying to make good contact with the ball. Showed me a good trick to use to help set up more consistently, too.

We also worked for a bit with a rubber kickball between my arms (larger than a Tour Striker Smart Ball; which I have and am now practicing more with!) to get the feel of using the body relatively more to power the swing and to reduce the "hit" on the ball with (relatively more) arms, wrists and hands. Yes - they're important also but he wants me to get me to improve my transition and weight shift before even thinking about more power (Tim Allen har harr 😆).

Had a good range session earlier in the week trying to focus on these things - setup, balance, better arm "structure" - and had some good results but I can see it's gonna take me a while and a lot more work to apply all this good stuff out on the course...........

• Like 6

Visual comparative....

..then...
First GolfTec lesson 2019-11-05 ... too much movement, excess backswing and swaying off the ball...

..and now...
Most recent lesson (to date) 2020-09-04 ... making some progress - the drill here is to bump into the black cylinder at the start of the transition...

(..si la mascarilla es muy annoying 😆)

• Like 5

3 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

Visual comparative....

..then...
First GolfTec lesson 2019-11-05 ... too much movement, excess backswing and swaying off the ball...

..and now...
Most recent lesson (to date) 2020-09-04 ... making some progress - the drill here is to bump into the black cylinder at the start of the transition...

Good stuff.
Same issue, i have been working on.  Im on lesson 5 i think?

• Like 2

:titelist-small: TSi2 Kuro Kage 50g R Flex

:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:ping-small: Heppler Tomcast 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

5 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

Visual comparative....

..then...

..and now...

Looks good.  Much better than mine right now!!

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

hey @cksurfdude this is a great thread and it looks like you’re getting the most out of your lesson package at GT. swing is coming along nicely man!

if i may offer my 2 cents, and i’m only doing so because you mentioned Pete’s in your original post, when your package runs out you should check out Kirk Oguri the pga pro at Pete’s. i had my first lesson with him on Sunday and he was fantastic. 

i don’t mean in any way to hijack your thread, just wanted to pass along another great option. you can message me if that works better for keeping your thread on track 

• Like 1

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

9 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Looks good.  Much better than mine right now!!

Thanks! ...but that's still just a practice swing .. we'll see over time how much I can translate all of it to the course...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Chip Strokes said:

hey @cksurfdude this is a great thread and it looks like you’re getting the most out of your lesson package at GT. swing is coming along nicely man!

if i may offer my 2 cents, and i’m only doing so because you mentioned Pete’s in your original post, when your package runs out you should check out Kirk Oguri the pga pro at Pete’s. i had my first lesson with him on Sunday and he was fantastic. 

i don’t mean in any way to hijack your thread, just wanted to pass along another great option. you can message me if that works better for keeping your thread on track 

Thx! And thx for reading .. yeah making progress .. but .. have to keep telling myself to be patient and to keep doing the drills. The golf swing is hard dammmmit! 😂

Pete's is a good suggestion, thx for that - will keep it mind for the future. I just .. literally in the last few days .. extended the GolfTec lessons as I'd accumulated some referral credits so wanted to use them. But def making a note of Kirk's name 👍

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if GolfTec just rents out bay time? Looking for options for the winter and I think 30 minutes on their launch monitor would be more productive than a range session in below freezing temps.

Take Dead Aim

• Like 1

Take Dead Aim