Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Favorite Golfer?

LeftyHawk

As I was leaving a restaurant today, the football game playing on the TV, the gal cashing me out told me she was a huge Bama fan, then asked me if I was? I told her I don't really follow football. She then asked what sport I follow? my response was...."Golf!" She asked who my favorite golfer was? That's a question I've really never thought about, my favorite golfer?. I thought about it for a few minutes and told her "don't know".

I thought about that question the entire drive home....."favorite golfer?".... I realized that I really don't have a favorite golfer.  I just love the game itself. Now I do like to watch golfers make creative, inspired shots, that's really cool. I don't much care for the brute force drives of the PGA, I do like the grace and finesse of the LPGA. It really doesn't matter to me who has a long, 2 break 30 foot putt, and they make it. Wedge  it from 100 + yards out and stick the pin, that's some really great stuff to watch, but a favorite golfer?....not really. There are just way too many names to pick a favorite. Names like Jones, Palmer, Couples, Woods, Wright, Lopez, Inkster...the list could go on and on and on....

Chris

Far and Sure......

:callaway-small:          GBB Epic  11*             

:callaway-small:               GBB Epic 7W (Heavenwood)

:ping-small::             G410 4 thru GW

:callaway-logo-1:   MD3 54*,60*                                                         

:cleveland-small:         Huntington Beach Soft #4

:bridgestone-small:   Tour B RX

I suppose if I had to pick one.... currently it would be Gary Woodland. He seems to me as a guy that's not totally wrapped up in the personality of the game. Meaning.. the media side. I get the impression he's more interested in his family than golf. As in - golf is his job and all the distractions media attention etc. surrounding the game are irrelevant. 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

No favorite player.  I enjoy the game and watching people make good shots.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Freddie Couples. On the current tour, Tiger.

Past, Anthony Kim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

David Duval was always my favorite next to Corey Pavin. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

In a post that I'm sure will get me no attention on this forum, my favorite golfer and the one man I will root for over all others when he is near the top of the leader board is Sergio Garcia.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

It's extremely difficult for me to pick just one golfer to be my favorite. If pushed, I think I'd give the nudge to Luke Donald, but that decision would be based on what he does on and off the course. He's one of the few guys I follow on social media and he definitely seems to have a good work/life balance. 

If it had to be someone based purely on how they play the game, then I'd be hard pressed to pick anyone other than Tiger. Obviously he has all the wins and what not, but even if he didn't I just love the way he approaches the game mentally. He's creative and very often fearless. In a game where everyone seems to be working toward the same swing and the same course strategy, it's so good to see him out there doing things a bit different (even if that wasn't always the case).

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

ME

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Bubba. Funnest guy to watch. Plus he is a misunderstood man, I can relate to that.

Who doesn’t like watching a 350+ high fade?

Tiger is up there too. Without him I wouldn’t be playing this game.

Seve... no explanation needed. The man was a genius.

More recently started liking G. Woodland, T. Fleetwood, and J. Rahm.

They are all good in some way or another though.

Kevin Kisner.  His advice in Golf Digest on how to hit a draw changed my golf game forever.  I went from guaranteed banana ball to a sweet smooth baby draw.

Thank you Kis!

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

When I was a kid in the 80s just getting into golf, I always pulled for the front-runners.  But when Daly was making his big run in the '91 PGA, the pro (who'd played the tour as a Monday Rabbit in the late 70's) and his assistants in the shop where I worked were pulling for him instead of the more established PGA Tour players.  When I asked why, the pro said "that could have been me, if I'd only picked the right week to get hot (he won the 1980 Maine Open)."

From then on, I started rooting for the no-names in the field.  A high finish is going to change their life.  

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

When I was a kid it was Nicklaus - now I’m in the I don’t have one camp. I suppose there’s an order that I follow in regards to rooting and that order will often mean that I’m not pulling for Justin Thomas but I don’t really dislike any players nor am I a big one for this guys a jerk or that’s a great guy based on lists regardless of where the lists come from.

I don’t personally know any tour player so I’m in no position to judge. I don’t know the character of the person making the list or his standards or agenda either. Successful pro golfers are multi millionaires. Many of them will value things differently from me.

I have met and hit balls with Brittany Lincicome on several occasions. She is well known in our community for her work with Junior Golf. I always root for her in LPGA tournaments because she’s a very sweet young woman. It will be nice to see her back this season.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

WenI first was following golf, it was Lee Trevino and then Fellow Wisconsinite Andy North.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 Super Bowl Champions Bag  :  :ping: G410 Plus, Alta Red CB 55 SR Flex, GX-7 14º(acting as a 3 wood),  :ping:   G400 4H, 5H. Sr Flex,   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges graphite SR Shafts (50º, 56º, 60º),  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g :bridgestone: e12 for the items I try to hit on purposematte red, so I can see them. :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Kevin Kisner after watching his video that he did with Vice Sports. It showed him to be a hard worker and someone that really enjoys what the game of golf can provide.

Max Homa after listening to him on the No Laying Up podcast and his appearances in some of their videos.

Scott Stallings after listening to him on the No Laying Up podcast. I really admire his story of completely changing his lifestyle due to a medical condition, and not allowing the medical condition to define him.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

As a kid I liked Nicklaus, Trevino, Watson, Kite, and a few others. Couples eventually was  the man as the others faded away. Seve was brilliant and made me watch.

Today I follow Tiger, Woodland, and thats about it really. I enjoy Koepka, Rahm, Fleetwood, and Leishman. 

LPGA I will follow Pressel, Lincicome,Thompson, and Henderson.

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

I like a lot of today's players, but Ricky Fowler is who I'll pull for when he's in play.

Sent from my SM-G965U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

For me, its Steve Stricker and Jerry Kelly.  As someone who is just a kid from Wisconsin, those 2 guys were always our local heroes and Stricker and I grew up in the same town.  Supposedly my sister in law's uncle knows him too.

When I first started playing golf in the late '90s, my favorite golfer was Payne Stewart, so much so that I used to wear flat caps and knickers, just like Payne did.

Beyond that, I really look up to classic golfers like Jones, Snead and Hogan because they had such sweet swings and were larger than life figures.  I feel like golfers today merely tolorate being celebrities whereas legends like Jones/Snead/Hogan reveled in it and were comfortable in the fact that they werent like the rest of us.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

#1 is Stricker. #2 may be Patrick Cantlay after his “Two more holes and we can get a Mai Tai” comment. #3 is whoever is on my fantasy golf team and playing well.

Driver: :cobra-small: RADSPEED 10.5°, Project X Even Flow RIPTIDE 60 6.5
Fairway Wood:  :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 16.5°, Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 75 X
3 Hybrid: :cobra-small:F9, LA Golf Tour AXS Red 85 X
4 Iron: Ping G410 Crossover
5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged, KBS Tour Stiff
Wedges: :vokey-small: Jet Black 50°08F, 54°12D, 58°08M, True Temper Dynamic Gold Black S200
Putter:  :odyssey-small: StrokeLab White Hot OG #7, 35", Evnroll Tourtac grip
Putter2: :edel-golf-1: Array model?????

Currently testing the Edel Array putter

Just because he’s different, I watch Matt Wolff every chance I get. Nice to see different.

Gary Woodland as never on my radar until that bit about him and Amy Bockerstette. Great to see of course, also easy to fake and just go through the motions. But if you watch closely you’ll see Gary and Kuch(?) in the background getting a kick out of Amy. Told me a lot about Gary as a person

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

It's always going to be Tiger and it's not even close. I have other favourites of course, Tony Finau, Rory, JT, Rickie, Anthony Kim (such a shame how his career ended), but my #1 will always be Tiger.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

Phil the Thrill. Love lots of the young guys and their drive. Not sure I’ll have one fav after Lefty hangs it up totally.

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

Probably easier for me to answer who don't I like since that list is shorter; Sergio and company. But if I was forced to come up with the non prioritized list, it would include Tiger, Rickie, Lefty, Bubba, mostly because of their unique personalities and what they bring to the game.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

This is a very difficult question to answer, there are many tour players that I like, however I can’t say I have a favorite. In no particular order, Spieth, Phil, Schauffele, Kuchar, to name a few. Like Tony above, I do have certain set of players I’m not a big fan of, Brooks, Sergio, etc. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Favorites of Old: Jack, Arnold & Couples

Favorites Today: Phil, Brooks, Jordan

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

Patrick Reed! No F's Given!!

Sent from my SM-G975U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Driver:  Cobra LTDx Max
  • 5 wood, 7 wood:  Cobra Speedzone
  • 5 hybrid: Callaway Forged CB 24*
  • Irons: Sub 70 699 (6), 659MB Raw (7-PW)
  • Wedges: Sub70 286 50*, Edel 55*, 60*
  • Putter:  PXG Bat Attack

Hail Southern and no place else!!