Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

MGS Intelligence Report: The Wilson Innovation Center

BEHIND THE SCENES AT THE WILSON INNOVATION CENTER

Innovation Center.JPG

If you're a golfer and you wake up in mid-April to find snow on the ground, chances are that you're going to be pretty salty. For me, however, the snow could not ruin my good mood because I had an invitation for a behind the scenes tour of the Wilson Innovation Center. At 9AM I showed up at Wilson's Schiller Park, IL location and met Steve Junkroski, the manager of Wilson's Special Order Department. The first thing we did was tour the facilities. In the main room, there are many desks and lots of testing machines – golf ball compression, MOI, COR, etc. For an equipment junkie like me, it was awesome. While we toured the area, I also had the opportunity to meet the gentleman who handles Wilson's tennis pros. Admittedly, I know very little about tennis, but it was very cool, nonetheless, to go inside the tennis “tour van” and see all of the racquets that were being prepared for Wilson's tennis pros.

COR Tester (1).JPG

COR Tester (2).JPG

Golf Ball Compression Tester.JPG

Iron Profile Tracer (1).JPG

Iron Profile Tracer (2).JPG

MOI Tester.JPG

Multi-Function Machine.JPG

Tennis Tour Van (1).JPG

Tennis Tour Van (3).JPG

Tennis Tour Van (2).JPG

The last thing that we looked at in this first room was a 3D printer. The machine is about six feet tall and a couple of feet wide and deep and it creates plastic models from CAD files in about twelve hours. Steve talked to me about how helpful this is in the design process: the R&D teams are able to use this technology to create four or five different variations on a new product to show other departments so that they can get feedback. He said that this has helped them to increase the speed of the design process tremendously. You can see some examples of this in the pictures, from a driver head to an iron to a full sized tennis racquet.

3D Printer.JPG

3D Printer Model.JPG

3D Printer Models (1).JPG

3D Printer Models (2).JPG

3D Printer Models (3).JPG

3D Printer Models (4).JPG

From there, we moved on to the custom order department. For someone who loves equipment and club building, it was hard to know what to look at first. There were boxes of heads and shafts, giant grinding machines, digital Mitchell Loft & Lie Machine, and much much more. One of the coolest things in the area was an old school loft and lie machine (pictured below). For clubs that can't be bent on a Mitchell, they lock the clubs into a vice and hit them with a mallet, then check the specs and repeat until the club meets the customer's requirements. In this area I was also able to see some wedges and irons that were being ground for Wilson Staff players like Ricky Barnes and an iron set for Mike Small that had the leading edge blunted.

C Grind Wedge (1).JPG

C Grind Wedge (2).JPG

Club Assembly Area (1).JPG

Club Assembly Area (2).JPG

Grinding Machines (2).JPG

Grinding Machines (1).JPG

Club Assembly Area.JPG

Club Assembly Area (4).JPG

Club Assembly Area (3).JPG

For those who love the history of the game, the next stop on the tour was the most impressive. Steve showed me to a row of file cabinets labeled “Staff Members/VIPs” that held the specs of clubs that Wilson had built for Staff Members and other celebrities or important people dating all the way back to the 1960's. The names in these files are basically a who's who of golf: Sam Snead, Hale Irwin, Chick Evans, Tom Watson, Vijay Singh…and I just opened a couple of drawers. There are also some impressive VIPs: presidents, coaches, and athletes from many other sports.

VIP Specs (2).JPG

VIP Specs (12).JPG

VIP Specs (11).JPG

VIP Specs (10).JPG

VIP Specs (9).JPG

VIP Specs (8).JPG

VIP Specs (7).JPG

VIP Specs (6).JPG

VIP Specs (5).JPG

VIP Specs (4).JPG

VIP Specs (1).JPG

VIP Specs (3).JPG

We continued our tour with a look at the prototyping area. Our first stop was a CNC mill where a Wilson employee was hard at work milling a putter, which I was asked not to photograph. I did take a couple pictures of the nearby work table which had plastic and metal models of the current Wilson Vizor putter. Also in this area was a pair of machines for creating prototype golf balls and more testing equipment. One of the cooler machines, in my opinion, was a golf ball durability tester. This machine fires golf balls at a steel plate to simulate six years' worth of strikes to see how the ball holds up. While we were touring this area, we also came across a number of racks of classic Wilson clubs. Some of the highlights were “The Whale” driver and some classic Wilson Staff sand wedges.

Classic Clubs (1).JPG

Classic Clubs (10).JPG

Classic Clubs (9).JPG

Classic Clubs (8).JPG

Classic Clubs (7).JPG

Classic Clubs (6).JPG

Classic Clubs (5).JPG

Classic Clubs (4).JPG

Classic Clubs (3).JPG

Classic Clubs (2).JPG

Golf Ball Machines (3).JPG

Golf Ball Machines (2).JPG

Golf Ball Machines (1).JPG

Surlyn in Pellet Form.JPG

Golf Ball Durability Tester.JPG

CNC Work Area (2).JPG

CNC Work Area (1).JPG

The final stop before the fitting was in the team sports area. Anyone who has played any team sport knows that Wilson makes some of the premier equipment in team sports, and in the Innovation Center they have batting cages and basketball courts for product testing. Sorry spies, I was so excited at the sight of a rack full of Wilson Solutions (the greatest basketball ever created) that I did not snap any pictures of this area. I did pick up this fun fact, though: every down that the NFL has played since 1946 has been played with a Wilson football.

Finally, we were on to the fitting. We had walked past the fitting studio earlier in the tour, and I saw that the fitting would be done on a Trackman. Knowing Trackman's reputation for accuracy, and having never been able to use one in the past, I was just a little bit (ok, a lot) excited to see what I could learn. Throughout the tour, Steve and I had been talking and he knew that I was a club fitter myself. Before we got started he said, “I know you know your stuff, so I don't want to step on your toes and tell you your own business.” I laughed and said, “I'm smart enough to know when I should shut up and try to learn from someone who knows more than I do.” This was the right answer; Steve was incredibly knowledgeable and I learned a ton from the fitting, both about myself and about clubs and shafts in general.

FG Tour Wedge.JPG

TRACKMAN!!!.JPG

Putting Green (4).JPG

Putting Green (3).JPG

Putting Green (2).JPG

Putting Green (1).JPG

Fitting Cart (7).JPG

Fitting Cart (6).JPG

Fitting Cart (5).JPG

Fitting Cart (4).JPG

Fitting Cart (3).JPG

Fitting Cart (2).JPG

Fitting Cart (1).JPG

Fitting Bags.JPG

I had it in my head that I would like to play the FG Tour iron, so that's the head we used. Steve suggested that we start with a set up that mirrored my own, so we installed KBS Tour shafts and I tried to make a few good swings. The results were good, but Steve suggested that my tempo might be a hair quick for the KBS Tour, so we switched to Project X. After a couple of ugly swings, we quickly decided that was not the right fit. I had never liked Project X in the past, but it was nice to understand the why behind it (my transition is not aggressive enough). The last shaft we tried was the Dynamic Gold, and it produced numbers very similar to the KBS Tour. The dispersion was slightly tighter, and Steve suggested that I could be very happy playing either shaft. From there, we checked my lie angle on a board and also talked about how a change could straighten out my ball flight (I actually need to go back to standard, if not a little flat). I have to reiterate how much I learned from Steve and how great the fitting experience was for me.

As an aside, the amount of data that you can get from Trackman is just otherworldly: all the basic launch data plus angle of attack, graphics of swing path, and dozens of numbers we didn't even discuss. Steve was absolutely right when he said that a higher handicap player or someone without a good deal of background knowledge could be overwhelmed by it. Trackman is a wonderful tool, but its true value is only realized when it is in the hands of a qualified fitter.

One final thought on the fitting, which no one but club fitters will care about: Wilson (I say Wilson, but it was really Steve) has designed the best fitting cart I have ever seen. There is a place on the top of the cart to keep iron heads organized but within reach during a fitting. There is a similar place to store a couple of shafts. The wrench has a compartment on the top of the cart, not inside the door. The shafts are stored in a way that is easily accessible, but the cart can also be turned upside-down without having a single one fall out. Again, I'm sure no one else cares, but I have to give Wilson major props for their efforts to make fitting a little bit easier.

After the fitting, Steve let me hit the rest of the Wilson line, and then we sat down for an interview. When I shook hands with Steve and got back in my car, the clock told me that I had been inside for three hours, but it felt like just a few minutes. This was an absolute kid-in-a-candy-store experience for me, and I cannot thank the people at Wilson, particularly Steve and Mary, enough for making this happen.

THE EQUIPMENT

Steve let me hit just about everything in Wilson's current line. Here are a few thoughts on each of the things that I tested.

FG Tour Irons

This was definitely my first choice among Wilson's irons. It's exactly what I want: a club with a player's look to it (minimal offset, thin top line and sole) with some forgiveness. This is a forged club and the feel is very solid. It's by no means hard or click-y, but it's also not the softest iron I've ever hit; I just keep coming back to the word “solid.” Performance was very good on mishits and the ball flew on a very predictable, flat trajectory.

Ci9 Irons

Setting this iron down was very comfortable to me as it bears a pretty close resemblance to my Mizuno MX-23's: thick-but-not-obtrusive top line and medium offset. The feel was, again, very solid, not harsh at all. If I'm being perfectly honest, I would probably have a tough time telling the difference between the Ci9 and the FG Tour, both felt very good. Performance was very solid. The stronger loft of this club was negated by the lower center of gravity of the clubhead (more on this in the interview) and it performed very similarly to the FG Tour.

Di11 Irons

One of the big surprises for me was the Di11. I tried this club with Wilson's proprietary Half and Half shaft which is half graphite and half steel. It offers the weight and shock absorption of graphite with the feel and consistency of steel. During the swing, the shaft performed very well: it was not loose or whippy and it produced very consistent results. The head felt good, though perhaps without quite as much feedback as the Ci9 or FG Tour, which is to be expected.

FG Tour Wedges

My testing of the FG Tour wedge led to one of the more interesting exchanges of the day. I took one swing with it (a good one, it should be noted), and turned to Steve and said, “Wow, that is soft! So, the FG Tour irons and wedges are forged…” Steve, smiling, stopped me, “No, the irons are forged, but the wedge is cast from a very soft stainless steel.” We went on to talk about how the concept of forging producing softer feeling clubs is no longer true given the casting techniques and that the choice of material has much more to do with feel than the production technique.

Regardless, the FG Tour wedge feels as soft or softer as any wedge I've ever used, including my current Scratch 8620's. The head shape is great, to my eye, and I can absolutely see myself putting these in the bag in the near future.

DXi Driver

First of all, I need to apologize to Steve again for having to watch me swing the driver. My instructor has done all he can to make my iron swing respectable, but the driver is very much a work in progress. That said, the DXi is a very nice driver. The stock Voodoo shaft feels very good – a little bit of kick, but very stable. The head looks fairly traditional at address, and it produces good results, even with mediocre swings. On my best swing, the spin numbers dropped into the low 2000's, despite my hitting slightly down on the ball. Part of this can be attributed to the fact that the DXi is weighted differently depending on the loft. The lower lofted drivers are weighted to be lower spinning, while the higher lofted drivers are weighted to spin more.

DXi Hybrid

The DXi hybrid, like the driver and fairway, has the Aldila Voodoo as the stock shaft, and it performs very well. The club definitely wants to go straight, and it flies on a fairly piercing trajectory. Overall distance and forgiveness were both quite good: I was able to hit the 19*hybrid 230 yards with a good swing and even poor swings rolled out to 210 or 215.

DXi Fairway

I've already acknowledged that I did not bring my “A” swing with me on this day, so I didn't expect to be flushing 3W off the deck. Regardless of the user error, this is a nice club. It sets up well and looks very traditional and fairly compact. The Voodoo shaft feels good, and even thin hits (of which there were many) travel a good distance. The sound and feel are very solid, hardly any “click” or “tink” off of this club.

FYbrid HS Fairway Utilities

After watching my butcher the DXi 3W, Steve suggested I take a swing with the 15* FYbrid. This club has a rail sole and it designed to be easier to elevate. The first swing elicited a “Whoa” from me: the club feels hot. The sound is much higher pitched, more of a “tink” than the DXi, but still solid. It is definitely easy to elevate and very hard to hit badly. In the variety of lofts that Wilson offers (13* to 27*) this could be a great solution for players who need to get more air under the ball.

Vizor Putter

This was definitely one of the big surprises for me. I tend to stay away from any putters that aren't pretty traditional looking, but I really enjoyed the Vizor. It has a very soft feel, and I really liked the built in alignment system. For those of you who haven't seen it, when you set the putter down, you should not see any of the red line in the center of the putter. I know other putters have used similar systems in the past, but for some reason this one clicked with me. It's definitely worth a roll if you see one at your local shop.

All of the testing was conducted with Wilson's FG Tour ball, which felt great. Steve gave me a dozen to take home, and I will be writing a full review of this ball in the near future.

THE INTERVIEW

Finally, here's my interview with Steve Junkroski, manager of Wilson's Special Order Department. Thanks to the readers who supplied many of these questions.

GolfSpy Matt: What separates Wilson from other OEMs?

Steve Junkroski: First of all, our commitment to working with our staff players. You'll never hear that a player left Wilson because they were underserved. The other thing is that we focus on the entire golf club: the head and the shaft. The shaft is not an afterthought for us like it is with other OEMs. Two examples are our Half and Half shaft and our Wide Tip Technology.

Half and Half Shaft (1).JPG

Half and Half Shaft (2).JPG

GM: What are the biggest advantages golfers will gain from playing Wilson products?

SJ: Wilson delivers high quality products that are well built. Also, players will benefit from the time we put into R&D and the fact that we look at form and function. All of our clubs are tested in Humboldt, TN on both an Iron Byron and by real life players. We like to say that we own the fairway with our irons, hybrids and fairways.

GM: What new innovations does Wilson have coming down the pipeline?

SJ: Consumers can expect to see new products in our FG and Ci line later this year.

GM: Lofts on irons are getting stronger, and Wilson seems to be on the forefront of this. Why do the lofts continue to get stronger?

SJ: Stronger lofts are better suited to players with slower swing speeds; it helps them to create equal distance gapping. Also, you really can't look at loft by itself: you need to look at loft and center of gravity together. When the center of gravity gets lower and lower, the lofts need to be stronger. We're not focused on lofts as much as creating good distance gapping and having a club for every distance.

One other note on COG: we are very proud to say that the COG on our fitting cart irons matches the clubs that consumers will buy.

GM: How are you working to expand your presence on tour and how important is the tour to Wilson's success?

SJ: Tour presence is very important; it's where we get the most exposure as a brand. Padraig Harrington has been using a Wilson putter grip and we have received lots of calls just asking for that grip. Also, the tour is an important tool for us to use in terms of getting feedback from the players on our new products.

What we really look for are players who can be brand ambassadors. We want guys who are top players but also a positive influence on the brand. You mentioned earlier what a great guy Kevin Streelman is, and that's a big part of why we're so happy to have him on our team. Mike Small is another example of that: a great guy who has lots of positive influence on other PGA professionals and great young players. Padraig Harrington is another guy who is a class act…

GM: The way he handled that DQ earlier in the season was tremendous.

SJ: Exactly. He's always willing to take time for fans and makes everyone feel good. Ricky Barnes is the kind of guy that you'd love to go play a round with: very nice, fun, and he helps us appeal to a younger audience.

GM: What is the target audience for Wilson's golf products?

SJ: We really want to target the low, mid, and high handicapper, as well as the beginner golfers with our box sets. We have to be careful not to target ourselves to much to the top players. While the FG products get all the buzz, the Ci and Di lines are what fit most players.

GM: How much emphasis does Wilson place on custom fitting, and how do you promote it?

SJ: We are pushing custom fitting very hard. We will roll out 150 fitting carts this year and the cart will continue to evolve and become more prevalent. We are training our staff on how to conduct a proper fitting, we are at demo days where players can be fit, and we also have a strong focus on fitting on our web site.

GM: What do you want golfers to think of when they hear the name “Wilson”?

SJ: We want golfers to think of the heritage of our brand, but also to see our younger side. We want people to know that we're not a has been, we've always been here building on our success. We are the longest continuously producing OEM, we invented the sand wedge, and we were the #1 iron on tour for many years.

(Note: For a look at that younger, fun side, check out their new ads on YouTube)

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

http://www.youtube.c...qJbkmh3Bvs&NR=1

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

GM: What is the design process like for new clubs or balls?

SJ: We start with drawings, then solid models, solid samples, and from there we refine it. We make many prototypes and test them, meet with R&D, sales, and marketing. We make constant modifications until we have something that performs. What we're really focused on is designing with the end in mind: improving on the last model, whether it's the FG, Ci, or Di line.

GM: What is the biggest challenge in getting golfers to try or buy Wilson products?

SJ: People have passed on the name, so we're fighting against people thinking that we're a has been. It's why we put so much focus on R&D and creating better products.

GM: What is your favorite product in the current line?

SJ: I played the FG Tour irons; it's a players club with forgiveness. I'm also playing the FG Tour wedges and ball with a KC1 putter.

GM: What is the next big trend you foresee in golf equipment?

SJ: If I knew that I would be the president of the company! Everyone's searching, looking 2-3 years ahead. Fitting systems are here to stay. Adjustability…I'm not sure about that. I think it benefits the low handicap player more than the high handicap player because the high handicap player doesn't have the knowledge to use it effectively.

GM: Does Wilson have any plans to incorporate adjustability into their clubs?

SJ: There's a lot of talk in the company. We don't want to follow, we're only going to add adjustability if we can be different and better. If we can't, then we're going to look in a different direction. Adjustability is great, but only if the consumer has the knowledge to use it to their benefit.

Reader Questions:

MGS: I have an R90 wedge from the mid 80's.....are the new R90's comparable?

SJ: The last year that the R90 was produced was 2000 which was a replica of the original Gene Sarazen R90 wedge. These are very comparable to R90 wedges produced previously.

MGS: I've been playing the Di line for a few years. My question would be why does Wilson make it so difficult to find their products? I know they are trying to differentiate themselves from the other manufacturers but it's not always easy to find any of the better equipment.

SJ: We are constantly working on increasing our distribution. One of our best tools in this is the consumer asking their retailer to carry the product. Please call our golf customer service group at 1-800-622-0444 to find a retailer in your area.

MGS: How do you relate your Tour presence/successes with the consumer other than incorporating the technology?

SJ: Our tour staff is a very important element of not only our brand but also our product design. We use all of our staff players as a test bed for new products and incorporate their ideas in our designs to benefit players of all levels.

MGS: Any plans to offer a more customizable Driver in the future?

SJ: We are always testing new technology but we want to make sure that before we bring out a product that it indeed performs to our high level of expectations. Adjustable/customizable drivers have become popular as of late in the industry and we want to make sure that if we release a club with these options that it indeed benefits the player. Our R&D team takes great pride in the fact that not only does our product astatically look great but performs at a high level for the player.

MGS: An old School Full brim visor with the W/S logo would be great as well.

SJ: We do offer a visor in the Wilson Staff line that is available in multiple colors.

MGS: I haven't heard much on their customization offerings. What options are there?

SJ: We offer many shaft and grip models in our custom program such as the Project X, KBS Tour, Nippon NS Pro 950 and others. Some of our grip options are the Golf Pride New Decade MultiCompound, Tour Velvet, Lamkin Tour Black Full Cord, as well as other popular models in various sizes.

MGS: Any plans to work with a Putter house in the future like you guys did with Kirk Currie? There is a pretty good one right there in Chicago!

SJ: Currently all of our putter plans are in house but we would never rule anything out in the future.

MGS: Why don't they use a different brand to sell their cheaper lines? I think it really hurts their image when they sell their complete sets using the same branding as their top lines. Maybe they should do similar to Callaway where it has top-flite.

SJ: We currently sell all of our recreational product under the Wilson or the Wilson Pro Staff name. Our proline product is sold under the Wilson Staff name.

MGS: What would be the best way to prepare for a fitting session? Should you be hitting as much as possible before a fitting or would they recommend something else?

SJ: Your golf swing will constantly be evolving all season long so there is never a perfect time to be fit. We would recommend that you have at least practiced a few times and possibly played a round of golf just to get the cob webs out of the swing before being fit. Being cooped up all winter in the Chicago area we can appreciate this question!

MGS: Are there things that most golfers don't usually bother to take notice or look for that can actually help a fitter during a fitting?

SJ: Great question! Don't be afraid to ask questions during the fitting. The only stupid question is the one that is not asked. The players feedback is invaluable to the fitter so if any positive or negative reactions to equipment are important.

MGS: What are their thoughts on equipment used in the fitting? Other than Trackman, what other options are comparable?

SJ: Trackman is excellent fitting tool but like any launch monitor it is only as good as the fitter using it. The knowledge and skills of an experienced fitter are much more important than the fitting system that they use. That being said there are many good fittings systems out there such as Trackman, Flight Scope, Vector, and others.

MGS: I find hitting indoors to a net, does not give enough feedback. In the range I could adjust my swing to get it to a state where I'm happier (sometimes). If the fitting is done indoors, how do you get to your "ideal" swing before the actual fitting starts? Is it just better to go to a fitting that can be done outdoors?

SJ: It's very difficult to adjust your swing if you cannot see your ball flight. A fitter can only fit you for the swing you bring with you that day. A fitting outside or in a simulator where you can see actual ball flight is the most beneficial because you can mentally correct for changes in ball flight. Unfortunately not everyone has access to an outdoor facility or a golf simulator. When doing an indoor fitting that doesn't allow you to see ball flight make sure that the fitter is using face tape and sole tape which is a very accurate indicator of where you are striking the ball.

MGS: What set of questions should a fitter ask in every fitting?

SJ: One of most important tools that a fitter has is the feedback of the fitter. The fitter should be constantly asking you for your feedback every time he makes a change (shaft, length, lie, etc.) to the club(s) that you are using in the fitting. All feedback from the player is important in making sure that they are comfortable with the clubs that they are fit for.

MGS: I am curious to know,since Wilson Staffs resurgence into the market starting several years ago, what there market share is at now compared to 5 years ago.

SJ: Our market share has been climbing in recent years and we will continue to work hard to increase it with new product additions and new marketing campaigns.

MGS: Why "Uniflex" shafts? Why not more custom options?

SJ: The idea of a Uniflex shaft is to develop a product where the flex fits the largest segment of players. This is typically done in a club model that would fit into the game improvement segment. We have a number of custom shaft options such as the Project X steel and graphite, KBS Tour, Nippon NS Pro 950 and the Dynamic Gold SL all in various flexes. We also offer a number of grip options such as the New Decade MultiCompound, Winn Excel and DSi as well as the Golf Pride Tour Velvet.

MGS: Wilson should have purchased MacGregor when they were up for sale. That would have been cool! The two best (and iconic) brands from the 1970s coming together as one for current day players. Alas, this is not to be. However, what plans are on the drawing board to get Wilson Staff back to the prominent position they enjoyed in their heyday? Do they want to be as big as successful as the big kids on the block (like Callaway and Taylor Made)? Maybe they don't...

SJ: We do not put a ceiling on our goals for future growth and would like as much as anyone to be a market leader in the sport. The golf equipment industry is a much different place then it was 30-40 years ago but we are confident that in the years to come Wilson will be a top brand in golf. We constantly hear from consumers that the set of Wilson Staff irons that they had in their bag 30 years was their favorite set of irons. Our goal is for the consumer to tell us that the set of Wilson Staff irons in their bag right now is the best set of irons they have ever played!

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

What? You didn't ask him about the 88 series putters? I'm appalled.... Not really, I'm sure you had limited questions you could ask and time constraints. I really would like to know if they could make the classics without milling the faces like they do now though. Not everyone wants that. Some people just want a clean classic head.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Great write and interview, I really do love what Wilson has been putting out these past few years especially!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Haha! Being thanked for seeing a bunch of cool stuff, talking to someone very knowledgeable and friendly, and playing on a Trackman just doesn't seem right to me, but you're very welcome nonetheless. I definitely had a great time, and everyone there was outstanding.

Actually I did, just forgot to include it. His answer (I'm paraphrasing heavily) was that the 8802 style has been done to death and there's a limited market for another one.

I'm quite positive he's wrong. Just ask Odyssey. When they released the PT (the limited one) they sold like hotcakes, the run sold out in 30 minutes, and that's at a $600 price point. The ProType regular release came out, it, too, has been flying off the shelves. No store around here or anywhere I've seen can keep them in stock, and that's at a $330 price point. The original 8802's still command a MINT on eBay, their value has held better than ANY putter out there(collectable Scotties included). I hate to tell him, but they missed the boat not releasing an original inspired model/limited run/anniversary model with their resurgence into the marketplace. There are hundreds of thousands of 8802 lovers out there that clamor every time a new one is released in that head shape.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I'm quite positive he's wrong. Just ask Odyssey. When they released the PT (the limited one) they sold like hotcakes, the run sold out in 30 minutes, and that's at a $600 price point. The ProType regular release came out, it, too, has been flying off the shelves. No store around here or anywhere I've seen can keep them in stock, and that's at a $330 price point. The original 8802's still command a MINT on eBay, their value has held better than ANY putter out there(collectable Scotties included). I hate to tell him, but they missed the boat not releasing an original inspired model/limited run/anniversary model with their resurgence into the marketplace. There are hundreds of thousands of 8802 lovers out there that clamor every time a new one is released in that head shape.

There are plenty of things that I "know" the market wants, but I tend to trust the people who actually do the market research. I'm fairly certain that if they thought they could make money at it, they'd do it.

Ah those fitting carts are nice. Who gets them and where can we find them?

I would give Wilson a call and see if someone near you has one.

Great story Matt. Thanks. Super cool that you got a factory tour with the fitting.

What is the retail on the wedges?

The internet tells me that they can be had for $100, which is a solid value. Like I said, softest feeling I've ever gotten from a wedge.

Archived