Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

How much difference in your swing speed

Just curious if you track swing speed differences between your different clubs, i.e. differences between driver, woods, irons, etc. If so what is the SS differential between the clubs. 

I know there's a table that correlates Driver SS to distance, but haven't seen one for the other clubs.  I'm sort of an analytical nut so I've got a spreadsheet for different clubs with SS, ball speed, carry, etc.and am looking to have a benchmark for everything else besides my driver. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

1 minute ago, tony@CIC said:

Just curious if you track swing speed differences between your different clubs, i.e. differences between driver, woods, irons, etc. If so what is the SS differential between the clubs. 

I know there's a table that correlates Driver SS to distance, but haven't seen one for the other clubs.  I'm sort of an analytical nut so I've got a spreadsheet for different clubs with SS, ball speed, carry, etc.and am looking to have a benchmark for everything else besides my driver. 

Go to trackman website. They have one for tour pros and LPGA not sure if there is one for "average" or not. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

1 hour ago, THEZIPR23 said:

Go to trackman website. They have one for tour pros and LPGA not sure if there is one for "average" or not. 

thx

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

thx

IMG_1662.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

WOW...looking at the carry distance of the pro's I'm only about 50 yards short on all my clubs of being a Pro!!!  Who knew.....LOL........(in my dreams) Thanks PMookie for the chart.

Chris

Far and Sure......

:callaway-small:          GBB Epic  11*             

:callaway-small:               GBB Epic 7W (Heavenwood)

:ping-small::             G410 4 thru GW

:callaway-logo-1:   MD3 54*,60*                                                         

:cleveland-small:         Huntington Beach Soft #4

:bridgestone-small:   Tour B RX

On 1/3/2020 at 11:37 AM, tony@CIC said:

Tony.  I did use my Swing Caddie quite a bit when I first got my new irons to establish yardages but never paid much attention to swing speed.  I'm still not a buyer in the swing fast market.  No argument faster club speed = further distance, but I find a like relationship between faster swings and lower accuracy (which also yields more inconsistent yardages).  For me personally, ball control (low dispersion) and consistent yardage is when I score best.  Are you looking at starting a swing speed training program?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

17 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Tony.  I did use my Swing Caddie quite a bit when I first got my new irons to establish yardages but never paid much attention to swing speed.  I'm still not a buyer in the swing fast market.  No argument faster club speed = further distance, but I find a like relationship between faster swings and lower accuracy (which also yields more inconsistent yardages).  For me personally, ball control (low dispersion) and consistent yardage is when I score best.  Are you looking at starting a swing speed training program?

Agree.   There is a balance point that has to be achieved.    Swinging faster will lead to more distance,  but also wider misses with the same clubface control meaning with the same swing characteristics and only changing speed a 1 degree open face on a 90MPH swing will be closer to a centerline than a 1 degree open 100MPH swing.     If you struggle with impact location and face control,  you should probably target those areas first since more center contact will result in more distance (and more consistent distance)

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I've worked really hard at accuracy/dispersion over the past two years. Part of that worked involved an intentionally slower swing speed to achieve results. I'm pretty comfortable with where I'm at now (accuracy/dispersion) so looking to establish some benchmarks for swing speed and incremental SS improvements. To that end; what I'm trying to establish and the purpose of this posting is the relationship to driver. So using as an example of a 90mph driver swing speed what should the differential be for woods, hybrids, long irons, etc.

So yes I'm looking to start a higher swing speed program. That's a long answer to your question. However, I have a very methodical program planned with the objective of SS improvement without losing accuracy. I'm very familiar with the work on this forum related to SS, but yet to see what the specific targets should be other than just a higher swing speed.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

So I just need to find pros on the very far left side of the bell curve, limit them to a 3 wood off the tees, and make them wear their shoes sockless and backwards 👍.

image.png.25453a191671e7e70a19f1d20e7dbea2.png

6 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

I've worked really hard at accuracy/dispersion over the past two years. Part of that worked involved an intentionally slower swing speed to achieve results. I'm pretty comfortable with where I'm at now (accuracy/dispersion) so looking to establish some benchmarks for swing speed and incremental SS improvements. To that end; what I'm trying to establish and the purpose of this posting is the relationship to driver. So using as an example of a 90mph driver swing speed what should the differential be for woods, hybrids, long irons, etc.

So yes I'm looking to start a higher swing speed program. That's a long answer to your question. However, I have a very methodical program planned with the objective of SS improvement without losing accuracy. I'm very familiar with the work on this forum related to SS, but yet to see what the specific targets should be other than just a higher swing speed.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Keep us posted on how that progresses. I still need to get phase 1 stable before worrying about increased swing speed.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/5/2020 at 8:44 AM, cnosil said:

Agree.   There is a balance point that has to be achieved.    Swinging faster will lead to more distance,  but also wider misses with the same clubface control meaning with the same swing characteristics and only changing speed a 1 degree open face on a 90MPH swing will be closer to a centerline than a 1 degree open 100MPH swing.     If you struggle with impact location and face control,  you should probably target those areas first since more center contact will result in more distance (and more consistent distance)

As you mentioned above, a 160 yard 6 iron will be less offline if the club is delivered the same way as a 6 iron that travels 180 yards. This point of view is only relevant from the tee - the guy who hits it 350 can hit it further into trouble than they guy that hits is 200... However, Mark Broadie's work on Strokes Gained off the tee shows that amateurs save about 0.3 strokes/hole for every 20 yards longer they are off the tee. And this is more of a benefit for amateurs than pros. 

If you have a 10 MPH difference in swing speed, that means from any approach distance into the green you hit 1-2 clubs less which will increase backspin. The corresponding improvement in spin loft will reduce side to side dispersion if the club face is open/closed then same amount in degrees. (If you change your 160 yard 6 iron into a 160 yard 8 iron, the 8 iron will be more accurate all other things equal, not too mention the ease of handling a shorter club). 

If you read any of Adam Young's work, he has some interesting opinions on trying to manipulate the club face by 1 or 2 degrees or any other miniscule adjustments. For people with no

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

1 hour ago, BMart519 said:

As you mentioned above, a 160 yard 6 iron will be less offline if the club is delivered the same way as a 6 iron that travels 180 yards. This point of view is only relevant from the tee - the guy who hits it 350 can hit it further into trouble than they guy that hits is 200... However, Mark Broadie's work on Strokes Gained off the tee shows that amateurs save about 0.3 strokes/hole for every 20 yards longer they are off the tee. And this is more of a benefit for amateurs than pros. 

If you have a 10 MPH difference in swing speed, that means from any approach distance into the green you hit 1-2 clubs less which will increase backspin. The corresponding improvement in spin loft will reduce side to side dispersion if the club face is open/closed then same amount in degrees. (If you change your 160 yard 6 iron into a 160 yard 8 iron, the 8 iron will be more accurate all other things equal, not too mention the ease of handling a shorter club). 

If you read any of Adam Young's work, he has some interesting opinions on trying to manipulate the club face by 1 or 2 degrees or any other miniscule adjustments. For people with no

It is relevant for all clubs,  not just a driver.  if it just how angles work the farther you go down the line, the farther you are off center.     Mark Broadie's work isn't relevant to that discussion.  Yes,  when comparing 2 equivalent players the one that hits the ball longer will generally score better than the player that is shorter.  It does not mean that if you hit the ball 2 yards longer you will save strokes.     

While shorter more lofted clubs reduce sidespin,  a 1 degree open or closed face will still go farther offline the farther you hit it given that the path and face angle are equal.  

Lets look at putting as a comparison.  Hit a straight putt with a 1* open face,  you would still hit the cup on a a 5 footer but completely miss the cup on  an 8 footer.    How hard you hit the ball doesn't change this fact.  

when looking at moving the ball left to right or right to left,  the amount of curve is based on how open or closed the face is to the path.  

I never said that anyone needed to change anything only that if you increase your swing speed and nothing else changes,  you will be more offcenter that you were previously.  

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

21 hours ago, cnosil said:

I never said that anyone needed to change anything only that if you increase your swing speed and nothing else changes,  you will be more offcenter that you were previously.  

While this is true, it has been statistically proven numerous times that longer is better. In a vacuum, the distance you pick up will be better than any accuracy lost. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

On 1/3/2020 at 1:37 PM, tony@CIC said:

At TXG last year Ian told me there should be a 20% difference between your 7 iron and Driver swing speed.   

My 7 iron at the time was 73 MPH and driver was 88 so I was pretty spot on. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

While this is true, it has been statistically proven numerous times that longer is better. In a vacuum, the distance you pick up will be better than any accuracy lost. 

I never disagreed with that.

13 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

At TXG last year Ian told me there should be a 20% difference between your 7 iron and Driver swing speed.   

My 7 iron at the time was 73 MPH and driver was 88 so I was pretty spot on. 

Interesting. That 20% differential is pretty close to mine. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

On 1/22/2020 at 7:52 AM, tony@CIC said:

I've never heard the 20% guideline before, but it make sense as my driver SS was 99.3 in my Cobra club fitting and my 7iron was 83.4 

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

On 1/22/2020 at 7:52 AM, tony@CIC said:

11 minutes ago, palvord said:

I've never heard the 20% guideline before, but it make sense as my driver SS was 99.3 in my Cobra club fitting and my 7iron was 83.4 

He is a very smart man...afterall! 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Just now, Golfspy_CG2 said:

He is a very smart man...afterall!