TESTERS WANTED! ×

Taylormade SIM drivers - Thoughts?

JonMUSC08

Taylormade is OFFICIALLY releasing the SIM line of drivers this week. Thoughts?

I am very much a fan of Taylormade clubs as most of my bag is TM. I bought the TM M6 last year and love it; great club. Having said that... I'm disappointed in the new SIM drivers. Seems the only change is:

Asymmetric Sole Shape & Inertia Generator

Designed to provide faster clubhead speed for more ball speed and distance while the rear weight creates high MOI for improved forgiveness

Additionally.... if you paint it black and yellow you'll get the Cobra F9 from last year. They took the F9 and threw a massive weight on the end.

TM and Callaway are known to put out drivers every year so this is no surprise that its kinda underwhelming. I am NOT saying this is a bad performing driver, but just underwhelmed. If its been a few years since you have bought a new driver then it could be great.

Comparison:

sim.JPG.59262d8668934bfdf950f4e9cd175561.JPG

f9.JPG.ee851510d9c255e1dd218e760f637413.JPG

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

Rick Shiels just did a video review of Sim and Sim max- overall a good driver, but it didn't consistently do any of the claims made by TM. His SS differed by 0.4mph.

Personally from the address position it looks good, very similar to many TM drivers. The sole though is horrible with that lump of metal stuck on. 

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

I hit the SIM about 6 times. Looks like the other TM drivers; I don’t personally care what the bottom looks like. Will provide some additional thoughts when it comes into my most wanted testing rotation. My current thought is it isn’t any better or worse than any other driver, If you are just picking it up of the shelf. Comes with a Ventus shaft so people will pick it up simply because Of the shaft. I have been told it is a made for Ventus shaft.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

4 minutes ago, jlukes said:

I wonder if people are underwhelmed when car companies release a car model every year. Or phone every year. Or anything every year. 

This isn't about drastic improvements over the previous year. It's about incremental improvements. 

Only a very small percentage of golfers upgrade every year. They're going to upgrade regardless. 

I really don't understand why people on golf forums get on a soap box EVERY SINGLE YEAR new equipment comes out. 

In simplest terms, people want to talk about clubs.  

Manufacturers make profound claims about performance and those claims should be substantiated. 

While many of us won’t see significant differences between annual releases, there is a population of golfers that still want to nit-pick. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

10 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Manufacturers make profound claims about performance and those claims should be substantiated. 

While many of us won’t see significant differences between annual releases, there is a population of golfers that still want to nit-pick. 

There's a difference between talking about clubs and what works and coming out complaining/bashing there moment a new driver is announced. 

I really don't understand it. But we live in and 'hot take' society so I guess everyone wants to be the first once to get their awesome take out there first. 

16 minutes ago, jlukes said:

I wonder if people are underwhelmed when car companies release a car model every year. Or phone every year. Or anything every year. 

This isn't about drastic improvements over the previous year. It's about incremental improvements. 

Only a very small percentage of golfers upgrade every year. They're going to upgrade regardless. 

I really don't understand why people on golf forums get on a soap box EVERY SINGLE YEAR new equipment comes out. 

It’s almost mind boggling at this point on how negative people want to be about golf equipment and releases. 

8 minutes ago, bens197 said:

There’s one thing to talk about clubs but many come in purely to bash either a brand or the small changes they make, and tend to discredit it before testing it or based on one or two peoples swings that don’t match their swing.

1) if companies went all out on r&d, innovations and such they wouldn’t be able to sell any clubs because they would cost too much (even more than pxg) and they would have no where to go after hat release

2) companies like tm, cobra, callaway, etc aren’t spending millions in r&d, manufacturing/testing to put out a product that has no improvements. They and many educated golfers know there will be minimal if any gains year to year and even 2-3 years out, but there are segments of golfers that buy older gear or wait several years to upgrade (many of those types on forums) so they will see improvements. Also it’s up to those that see minimal to determine if the improvement is worth it to them to upgrade or not and there’s another segment who are going to upgrade every year regardless because they want the latest and greatest regardless of there’s any improvement or not

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

7 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

It’s almost mind boggling at this point on how negative people want to be about golf equipment and releases. 

There’s one thing to talk about clubs but many come in purely to bash either a brand or the small changes they make, and tend to discredit it before testing it or based on one or two peoples swings that don’t match their swing.

1) if companies went all out on r&d, innovations and such they wouldn’t be able to sell any clubs because they would cost too much (even more than pxg) and they would have no where to go after hat release

2) companies like tm, cobra, callaway, etc aren’t spending millions in r&d, manufacturing/testing to put out a product that has no improvements. They and many educated golfers know there will be minimal if any gains year to year and even 2-3 years out, but there are segments of golfers that buy older gear or wait several years to upgrade (many of those types on forums) so they will see improvements. Also it’s up to those that see minimal to determine if the improvement is worth it to them to upgrade or not and there’s another segment who are going to upgrade every year regardless because they want the latest and greatest regardless of there’s any improvement or not

It’s nauseating but it gives them peace; I just stay out of their way and let them be. I’d rather make conversation with the open minds. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Just now, bens197 said:

It’s nauseating but it gives them peace; I just stay out of their way and let them be. I’d rather make conversation with the open minds. 

Yeah. The negativity around golf is kinda nauseating. Bashing companies, heckling players or course setups. Whatever happened to if you don’t like something or someone you don’t watch them or play it.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

13 minutes ago, jlukes said:

There's a difference between talking about clubs and what works and coming out complaining/bashing there moment a new driver is announced. 

I really don't understand it. But we live in and 'hot take' society so I guess everyone wants to be the first once to get their awesome take out there first. 

To give you a parallel.  I am a member of a forum of a basketball team I cover, and while I cover the team and enjoy watching them play, I am generally very neutral in the rare comments I make on the board.  I'm not a "fan" of the team, so I don't get all caught up in the daily talk back and forth.  But if someone has a question about a player injury status or a coaching decision that maybe I have some insight into, I'l make a comment.

But the point is 98% of the comments on there are negative. After a loss within 30 minutes there will be 5 pages of ranting and raving, after a win...crickets. It may go two days to get 2 pages.    This is just to say, it's the nature of the internet. 

Although you do bring up a good question, about complaints on car and phone forums.  I would imagine there is a lot of it on the phone places, maybe not so much on the cars.   I think the number of people who buy a new car every year are probably a lot less than those that buy a new driver very year 😎

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

And I will take it one step further - it is normally Taylormade and Callaway that receive the brunt of the "hot takes" while companies like Titleist and Ping can release clubs seemingly whenever they want and they never receive the same amount of immediate negativity.

If bet if you asked people on hear who has released more equipment over the last 2 years between Taylormade, Titleist and Ping, almost everyone would assume Taylormade would be the answer and all of those people would be wrong.  In fact, Taylorade has had fewer releases than both Titleist and Ping over the last 2 years.  But hey, there's no room for facts here

3 hours ago, JonMUSC08 said:

Taylormade is OFFICIALLY releasing the SIM line of drivers this week. Thoughts?

I am very much a fan of Taylormade clubs as most of my bag is TM. I bought the TM M6 last year and love it; great club. Having said that... I'm disappointed in the new SIM drivers. Seems the only change is:

Asymmetric Sole Shape & Inertia Generator

Designed to provide faster clubhead speed for more ball speed and distance while the rear weight creates high MOI for improved forgiveness

Additionally.... if you paint it black and yellow you'll get the Cobra F9 from last year. They took the F9 and threw a massive weight on the end.

TM and Callaway are known to put out drivers every year so this is no surprise that its kinda underwhelming. I am NOT saying this is a bad performing driver, but just underwhelmed. If its been a few years since you have bought a new driver then it could be great.

Comparison:

sim.JPG.59262d8668934bfdf950f4e9cd175561.JPG

f9.JPG.ee851510d9c255e1dd218e760f637413.JPG

Keeping with the original topic of discussion...

I’ve never been a huge fan of TM but the M-series of drivers have always looked exceptional. The SIM looks good so long as you don’t flip it over; at which point it looks like they just copied the Cobra F9 in the most obvious way. I can’t say I’m surprised though. Cobra has been onto something with low CG for a while now and seem to have darn near perfected it. It was simply a matter of time before another OEM put their own twist on the design. It also makes you wonder if TM might have felt the sting of Cobras success with the F9 last year more so than other brands.

I may give the SIM a try if I have the funds available for new clubs this year, but would honestly be more interested in an M5 or M6 at a lower price when looking at TM.

Edited by TR1PTIK

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

8 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

Keeping with the original topic of discussion...

I’ve never been a huge fan of TM but the M-series of drivers have always looked exceptional. The SIM looks good so long as you don’t flip it over; at which point it looks like they just copied the Cobra F9 in the most obvious way. I can’t say I’m surprised though. Cobra has been onto something with low CG for a while now and seem to have darn near perfected it. It was simply a matter of time before another OEM put their own twist on the design. It also makes you wonder if TM might have felt the sting of Cobras success with the F9 last year more so than other brands.

I may give the SIM a try if I have the funds available for new clubs this year, but would honestly be more interested in an M5 or M6 at a lower price when looking at TM.

How did they copy f9 in the most obvious way when they what they took was from the m6 and added a weight and raised the crown and sole to get the cg lower? 

I would imagine opinions are ok? or are they frowned upon with the same disdain?

4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

1 minute ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

How did they copy f9 in the most obvious way when they what they took was from the m6 and added a weight and raised the crown and sole to get the cg lower? 

Hmmm... maybe it has something to do with the protruding mass that extends down and towards the back of the club. 🙄

I haven't seen the new Tesla 4x4 in person, nor driven it, but I have an opinion on it's looks.

2 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Like the M6...

TaylorMade-M6-YouTube_8f8278ec7a6efdee59

My bad... you and @RickyBobby_PR are right. I forgot the M6 did that as well and was thinking it was more just a cosmetic thing with silver M6 badging on the bottom. 

I will add that I find it interesting that TM’s design has led the TXG guys to ponder if the loft up campaign will be back. Even Shiels made note of how low spin the SIM is and got more playable results with the SIM Max.

How much do you think the attempt to move CG low and back matters with a weight and accompanying track located towards the front? I’m looking forward to most wanted testing to find out!

Just now, TR1PTIK said:

I will add that I find it interesting that TM’s design has led the TXG guys to ponder if the loft up campaign will be back. Even Shiels made note of how low spin the SIM is and got more playable results with the SIM Max.

How much do you think the attempt to move CG low and back matters with a weight and accompanying track located towards the front? I’m looking forward to most wanted testing to find out!

The article tony did talks about this to an extent. 

low and back has higher cog and they had to raise the crown. The sliding weight in the front will help a bit as has been seen in several other brands that more  weight forward reduces spin.

8 minutes ago, jlukes said:

That fine an dandy. 

why thank you kind sir. Have a good day.

The biggest thing that pissed me off in this release is the fake Ventus shafts as the stock options in the Max. 

Hopefully taylormade has a nice list of no upcharged options. 

There's no reason to have a made for shaft in a $500 driver. Taylormade just trying to ride the momentum of the Ventus shaft unfortunately. 

Callaway did the same thing in previous years with HZRDUS. Not sure what they're doing with their top gun driver this year 

34 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Like the M6...

TaylorMade-M6-YouTube_8f8278ec7a6efdee59

haha my Bad too... I even own the M6 and forgot it looks like the F9. 🙄

Unfortunately the SIM just added an even larger mass to the bottom.

Even the Youtube Reviewers (Rick Shiels, etc) were a bit underwhelmed. Still a Great driver im sure, but...

My $.02, buy a M5/M6 for the new price!

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

Callaway did the same thing in previous years with HZRDUS. Not sure what they're doing with their top gun driver this year 

The Mavrik I tested had a Even Flow Riptide.

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Personally I like it.  I've always liked how Taylormade drivers set at address over any other.  I'll be in the market for a new driver this year and the SIM will definitely be in consideration.  Someone mentioned the high launch/low spin, the TXG guys did a test and this does seem to be the case.  

• PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD-HD 7 TX
  • TaylorMade M6 15* - PX HZRDUS Green 80 TX
  • Titleist 913 Fd 18* - MCA KuroKage XMS 90 X /// OR /// Callaway XForged UT 20* - Aldila Rogue Black 105 TX
  • Srixon Z745 4-P - PX LZ 7.0
  • Vokey SM7 49F / 53F / 58K - DG TI S400
  • Odyssey Black #3 34”
  • Titleist AVX

Good to hear. 
The remember the original epic launched with a HZRDUS T800. Which was a made for shaft 

Can’t answer if the riptide is an authentic or made for in the callaway line. We know the Ventus in the TM line is made for. Would have to compare side by side; I looked at the TM Ventus and didn’t notice the missing verbiage