Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Taylormade SIM drivers - Thoughts?

JonMUSC08

I have the 9.5 but have it lofted up 1.5.  Definitely seeing a low flight and fighting a low right.   I ordered it 1/2 short and requested the SW still to be D2, not sure if it came in at that or not, don't have the ability to measure.    Could be something in that combo that isn't a good "fit" for me.   Played the TS1 during the round, and hit it really well.  So it can't be just the swing. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

1 minute ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I have the 9.5 but have it lofted up 1.5.  Definitely seeing a low flight and fighting a low right.   I ordered it 1/2 short and requested the SW still to be D2, not sure if it came in at that or not, don't have the ability to measure.    Could be something in that combo that isn't a good "fit" for me.   Played the TS1 during the round, and hit it really well.  So it can't be just the swing. 

In reading other user feedback they have done pretty good in getting swingweights to requested number and/or getting headweight back to normal. There were a couple that I saw didn’t get close. 

Ive seen the max spin is only a few hundred rpm higher than sim so it could be spin related even with you lofting up

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

In reading other user feedback they have done pretty good in getting swingweights to requested number and/or getting headweight back to normal. There were a couple that I saw didn’t get close. 

Ive seen the max spin is only a few hundred rpm higher than sim so it could be spin related even with you lofting up

Yep, I have heard even the MAX head is lower spin compared to some other mainstream drivers out there.   I'll give it some more time, I have hit one or two very good drives with it, but if my life depended on having to hit a fairway...the TS1 would no doubt get the call. 

3 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Yep, I have heard even the MAX head is lower spin compared to some other mainstream drivers out there.   I'll give it some more time, I have hit one or two very good drives with it, but if my life depended on having to hit a fairway...the TS1 would no doubt get the call. 

Low spin heads for most of us older coots  is similar to riding a brahma bull with a case of extreme jock itch. It doesn't work too good 😉

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

4 hours ago, ole gray said:

Low spin heads for most of us older coots  is similar to riding a brahma bull with a case of extreme jock itch. It doesn't work too good 😉

Ha.  Good one.  Yeah I know what you mean.  But I have twice been fit into a low spin head the 917D3 and Epic Flash Sub Zero Due to my angle of attack and putting a lot of natural spin on it. 

Could I play it.  Sure. Its just not as high or as Consistent as the TS1, which for us old coots is like a pig finding a 3 foot deep mud pen in the middle of the desert.  

2 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Ha.  Good one.  Yeah I know what you mean.  But I have twice been fit into a low spin head the 917D3 and Epic Flash Sub Zero Due to my angle of attack and putting a lot of natural spin on it. 

Could I play it.  Sure. Its just not as high or as Consistent as the TS1, which for us old coots is like a pig finding a 3 foot deep mud pen in the middle of the desert.  

Dayuuuuuuuum you're good! 😂

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

16 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Played the TS1 during the round, and hit it really well.  So it can't be just the swing. 

three posts in a row all stating how well you hit the TS1.......................should I state the  'elephant in the room' 😉

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

On 2/18/2020 at 12:30 PM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

If it's a lower spin head, and cranking the loft up closes the face, you might still be close to the same spin window- I noticed on TXG Matt was hitting a 10.5 head even at his swing speed. They also seem to think that this driver does a good job of separating or decoupling launch angle and spin rate.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

Pulled SIM Max 4 times today: 276 out of the car, 265, 264, 299 and all in the fairway. The first and the last were down wind, the others were into, and one was also uphill in addition. Feels great to be hitting driver well again, now just need to work out some kinks in my ball striking with my mid irons and I'll be happy and hopefully see my handicap drop.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Doesn't suit my eye. Would probably play it for one season and get a new one next year that I liked to look at.

Driver - Titleist TSi3 9.0  (Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 6.0)

3 wood - TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 15 (Ventus Blue 7S)

5 wood - TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 19 (Ventus Blue 7S)

Irons - Titleist T100s 4-PW + 49 (KBS $-Taper)

Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM9 54D (KBS 610) & 58M (KBS 610)

Putter - Titleist Scotty Cameron - Phantom X 11.5

Ball - Titleist Pro V1 & Taylormade Tour Response (Blue/Pink Stripe)

2 minutes ago, Billy-Bo-Jim-Bob said:

Doesn't suit my eye. Would probably play it for one season and get a new one next year that I liked to look at.

If it doesn’t suit your why spend the money for something that might not work only to get rid of it a year later and lose out on money 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

2 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

If it doesn’t suit your why spend the money for something that might not work only to get rid of it a year later and lose out on money 

Yep, its not going in my bag!

Driver - Titleist TSi3 9.0  (Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 6.0)

3 wood - TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 15 (Ventus Blue 7S)

5 wood - TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 19 (Ventus Blue 7S)

Irons - Titleist T100s 4-PW + 49 (KBS $-Taper)

Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM9 54D (KBS 610) & 58M (KBS 610)

Putter - Titleist Scotty Cameron - Phantom X 11.5

Ball - Titleist Pro V1 & Taylormade Tour Response (Blue/Pink Stripe)

First round with the Velocore today, played 9 holes in some pretty gnarly wind (20mph, gusts of 30+). Swing wasn't as automatic as it was on Sunday when I played with the "made for" version, but the results on good shots were honestly very similar. I'll probably keep the Velocore even though I probably shouldn't -- I'm a sucker for "nice" things.

On 1/6/2020 at 11:09 AM, TR1PTIK said:

I may give the SIM a try if I have the funds available for new clubs this year, but would honestly be more interested in an M5 or M6 at a lower price when looking at TM.

That's exactly what I did. I bought a M6 about a month ago at Dick's after they reduced the price. it actually looks a lot like the SIM. The fin on the bottom isn't as pronounced, but it is similar. I changed the shaft to an old after market Aldila NVS 55R shaft as I was fitted for that shaft several years ago and still love it.  Unfortunately it's been very wet or cold here so I've only played about five rounds with it. However, it's working well so far. I've ordered a heavier weight for the head in case it turns out to be too light because the NVS is 3/4" shorter than the stock shaft.

Edited by Hoganman1

Drive for Show; Putt for Dough

Just spent an hour reading this thread....

thats an hour I won’t ever get back.

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Just spent an hour reading this thread....
thats an hour I won’t ever get back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

16 hours ago, yungkory said:

First round with the Velocore today, played 9 holes in some pretty gnarly wind (20mph, gusts of 30+). Swing wasn't as automatic as it was on Sunday when I played with the "made for" version, but the results on good shots were honestly very similar. I'll probably keep the Velocore even though I probably shouldn't -- I'm a sucker for "nice" things.

Saw your post about this on the other forum. I’ve been tempted by getting a real Ventus as well.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

2 hours ago, dlow206 said:

Saw your post about this on the other forum. I’ve been tempted by getting a real Ventus as well.

I'll have more to say about it once I get a couple of rounds under my belt, but my way-too-early advice is save your money. Hopefully the Motore is a beast for you so you can scratch your aftermarket shaft itch (if there is such a thing).

Picked up my new SIM Max, 9* head w/Hzrdous Smoke, Green, 70g shaft last week. Played my first full round with it yesterday. I love this thing. Had my best driver day in a long time. Shaft and head combo just works for me. Long and straight. Also put the SIM 3w & 5w titanium heads with Diamana 75g shafts. Loving everything about them!

Coming from a TM M2, followed by a M6....I can say the SIM Max has a different feel and sound, which suits my eye and ear perfectly.

:titleist-small: TSR2 - Ventus Red, 6X

:titleist-small: TSR2 3W - Ventus Red, 7X

:titleist-small: TSR2 5W - Ventus Red TR, 8X

:mizuno-small: JPX 223 Tour PW-7i/JPX 223 Forged 6i-4i - Nippon Modus 130X

:taylormade-small: MG3 - 50, 54, 58* -  Nippon Modus 130X

:scotty-small: Scotty Cameron Circle T Futura X5 

:titleist-small: Titleist Prov1

I'm liking what I'm seeing in terms of fairways hit with SIM. I wish it would stop being so f'in WINDY though, so I could actually tell if I'm getting the same distance to go with the improved FiR stats. Legit played in 25 MPH sustained winds on Friday and Sunday with higher gusts, and it's getting really old.

I don't know why Arccos isn't showing more than 10 shots over my last 27 holes, I definitely pulled driver more than that (I pulled driver 9 times today across 18 holes) but maybe it's just this weird filtered view:

image.thumb.png.0f69d9d5c1716749616c3f3063999eba.png

Still can't tell a significant difference between the made for and velocore, but the velocore seems to be working decently well for me so it'll stay in the bag at least until I find my way to a Truespec or Cool Clubs in late October.

I cracked the face on my M4 yesterday (2nd head I have done this to). I hope I get an M4 replacement. I did not like the M6 and have only hit the SIM once.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

• 3 weeks later...

I hit the SIM at a golf show and really had trouble with the look over the ball.

Srixon Z765, Myazaki Stiff

Srixon F65 3 Wood Myazaki Stiff

Srixon H85 2 Hybrid 17* Stiff Hzrdus

Srixon H45 4 Hybrid 22* Kuro Kage Stiff

Honma 747v Nippon stiff shaft 4-10

Ping Stealth 2.0 50,54,58

Cleveland Huntington Beach 11

I just upgraded from my M5 to a Sim Max (courtesy of Dollar Driver) and so far I am loving it. I struggled with finding the best weight set up on my M5, but so far the no nonsense Sim Max is great. I also feel like it sounds better for whatever that is worth. 

Driver:  :taylormade-small: SIM Max w/ Ventus Blue

3W: :taylormade-small: M4

Hybrid: Nike Sumo 2

Irons: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0211 w/ Aerotech SteelFiber 

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG 52, 56, 60

Putter::cameron-small: Studio 3.5

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RX 

3 hours ago, CGERICKE22 said:

I just upgraded from my M5 to a Sim Max (courtesy of Dollar Driver) and so far I am loving it. I struggled with finding the best weight set up on my M5, but so far the no nonsense Sim Max is great. I also feel like it sounds better for whatever that is worth. 

I love the look of my SIM Max, love the performance when I hit it well - but am definitely finding it extremely left biased for me (with Ventus Blue Velocore).  Unfortunately the standard SIM may be too low spin for me and I don't love the look of the Mavrik or sound of the 410.  😞  

36 minutes ago, MysteryV said:

I love the look of my SIM Max, love the performance when I hit it well - but am definitely finding it extremely left biased for me

I feel ya. I have been a Titleist guy for 20 years as far as drivers. I hit the TS3 very well in the hitting bay on a launch monitor. I'm finding a different animal on the course. It's every bit as long as anything I've ever played, but I'm finding it to be left biased also. I've played with the weights and shaft adjustments, and that has tamed it somewhat. I'm hoping it's just my early season rust that is causing this. If not, I'll sell it and go back to my trusty 913 D3.

The Velocore experiment is over. For the price, I don't think it helps me score any better than the "made for" Ventus. Feels like I don't get the same amount of output vs. input. Could be due to the shorter length, or the materials of the shaft, not sure. Up for sale it goes!

32 minutes ago, yungkory said:

The Velocore experiment is over. For the price, I don't think it helps me score any better than the "made for" Ventus. Feels like I don't get the same amount of output vs. input. Could be due to the shorter length, or the materials of the shaft, not sure. Up for sale it goes!

The real deal has a very stiff tip and much lower torque. I haven’t swung the made for but I have the blue 6x and it’s a shaft that if not swinging fast enough or in proper sequence the distance loss is noticeable compared to good days. The one aspect of the shaft I like is the improved dispersion 

2 hours ago, yungkory said:

I had thought about getting a real Ventus Red before I was selected to test the Motore X. It's a good thing I didn't pick one up, because I was going to buy it without trying first.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

2 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

I had thought about getting a real Ventus Red before I was selected to test the Motore X. It's a good thing I didn't pick one up, because I was going to buy it without trying first.

Yeah the F3 5/6 Stiff are both verrrrrry intriguing for me right now hehe.

I have been playing the M2 '16 model since its inception.  Every year I have tried one of their new heads.....

M2 '17 - hated it, felt nothing like the original and optics were weird

M3 '18 - didn't hate it but still ended up going back to my '16 model.  It didn't have the same punch and felt heavier to me.  I put it on my 15 year old daughter's shaft and she hated it, it now resides in my wife's bag.

M6 '19 - this was by far the best driver TM has made since the orignal M2 in my opinion.  I still ended up giving it to my daughter and headed back for my M2 🙂

At this point, that M2 head is chipping and has quite a bit of tee marks and acne on it's face.  It's time for the SIM.  Bought a regular SIM head and will report back if we ever get to play again in 2020.

Edited by KatoGolfer

Driver: Taylormade '16 M2, Aldila NV 2KXV X

3W:  Taylormade '16 M2, Speeder 661 X

3:  Callaway X-forged UT 21*

4-P:  Callaway X-Forged, Modus 3 120 - S

Wedges:  50* - Callaway Apex Pro 19, 54* - Taylormade Milled Grind 2 black, 58* - Taylormade Milled Grind 2 black

Putter:  currently Odyssey Works V-Line Versa CB - 36"

Ball - Bridgestone Tour B X