Taylormade SIM drivers - Thoughts?

JonMUSC08

4 hours ago, Tsecor said:

as we know its far from an exact science and the marketing stuff gets a bad wrap because the companies don't tell you how they back up their claims...they just say "gain 5 more yards"!!! and we are all like YEA!!! TAKE MY $600!!! lol....we are like pavlov's dog as they say.....ring the bell, watch us salivate!!

Marketing like this isn't unique to the golf industry.  Car companies do it. phone companies do it. healthcare, beauty, food and drink companies all do it.  It's the nature of the world.  But at the same time, nobody has a gun to their head being told how to spend their money, so I am really not sure why there is always so much outrage about marketing. 

• Like 5

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* VA Nemesys 65X
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50F - 54S - 59D
:EVNROLL: ER1v
:titelist-small: ProV1

6 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Marketing like this isn't unique to the golf industry.  Car companies do it. phone companies do it. healthcare, beauty, food and drink companies all do it.  It's the nature of the world.  But at the same time, nobody has a gun to their head being told how to spend their money, so I am really not sure why there is always so much outrage about marketing. 

If someone wants to spend their hard earned cash on something that’s equal or better go for it. Not sure how/why someone decides to spend their cash is such an issue

• Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I will say, I have been very impressed with the SIM as I have hit it. It is producing above average ball speeds, and good dispersion. It is a serious contender this year. The M5 for me was very meh, but the SIM has my attention. 

• Like 5

Driver: SIM 9 Motore X F1 7X tipped 1 inch

Utility Iron: Cobra King Utility irons 18 degree Aldila rogue 90 X

Irons: Cobra King forged CB 4-PW KBS $ Taper 130 X

Wedges: Cleveland 49,52.58.64

Putter: Kronos Release.

16 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

If someone wants to spend their hard earned cash on something that’s equal or better go for it. Not sure how/why someone decides to spend their cash is such an issue

not sure this was ever a point of the discussion and from some of the other responses above this thread has become WRX'ish, so ill bow out at this point

• Like 1

Golf is cool

21 hours ago, Tsecor said:

as we know its far from an exact science and the marketing stuff gets a bad wrap because the companies don't tell you how they back up their claims...they just say "gain 5 more yards"!!! and we are all like YEA!!! TAKE MY $600!!! lol....we are like pavlov's dog as they say.....ring the bell, watch us salivate!!

15 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

not sure this was ever a point of the discussion and from some of the other responses above this thread has become WRX'ish, so ill bow out at this point

The quoted part above is basically you saying people are just willing to throw money at a new product claimed to gain 5 yards. I think my comment in reply to @jlukes is part of the discussion. If someone wants to spend their money based purely on marketing there’s nothing wrong with that. If they want to spend it on a driver or new irons that provide the same performance just to have something new then so be it. Not my business to tell someone where or how to spend their money.

• Like 2

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

I happened to have a driver fitting the day the TM distributor was dropping these off at my fitter's location. End result of the fitting was, the driver in the bag (Titleist 917D2) was the best performing option of what we hit during the session (Ping G410+, G410LST, Callaway Epic, Cobra F9). With all the contenders we never saw anything better than equal performance to the current driver.

All that to say; If your swing (speed/tempo/ball striking) has not significantly changed, chances are, if you've bought a new driver within the last 2 years you aren't likely to see any noticeable performance difference with this years offerings. As many have stated, year-to-year the OEMs are typically only able to achieve small increments in performance changes. So, until you wear the club out and notice the change in performance it's more likely you can shift the cost of that new driver into something else to improve.

• Like 3

Driver:  PXG 211 Project X Evenflow CB, 50g 5.5

Fariway:  PXG 211, 3-Wood Project X Evenflow CB, 60g 5.5

Hybrid:   PXG 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

Irons:  :titelist-small: T300 4-5, T200 6-PW Nippon 880 Pro R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  CBX2 50*, 54*, 58*, TT Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

Putter:  :odyssey-small:  Stroke Lab Rossie

• 1 month later...

I guess I'll just post my first impressions in this thread instead of making another thread with the same subject matter.

My driver swing is still kinda in the dumps, but I will say that SIM Max is very good on all parts of the face. Call it forgiveness, or whatever you want to call it, but I'm not hitting the middle and it's still keeping my average distance better than Flash was. High off the face is launching high with lower spin, but still moving forward enough to where you can still be successful. The middle of the club is no different from any other drivers I've played in the last 4 or so years dating back to the OG Epic.

More work definitely needed, but I like the way it frames the ball. Initially I felt like it looked like it sat closed, but after playing it today it looks square. The sound and feel off the face is great though, definitely more carbon-sounding than Flash, but not completely dead. Excited to run it through the paces!

• Like 9

Driver: :titelist-small: TSi3 10* Tensei AV Raw Blue

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Modus 3 115 Wedge

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 w/ BGT Stability Tour

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X

I havent tried it, yet, but my local pro has and its now in his bag. He's an ex Tour player and posted all his findings via a 2 hr trackman session. No differences in his key stats over his last TM driver, or the one before, but he likes it, and it's the latest TM driver, so he will use it.

• Like 2

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

I'm struggling with my SIM  Max in the early going.  Right now it's strictly a backup to the TS1, which is just soooo good!  But the few times, I've taken it out and hit shots with it on the course, it's been very inconsistent. and mostly bad.   

• Like 3

:titelist-small: TSi2 Kuro Kage 50g R Flex

:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:ping-small: Heppler Tomcast 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

27 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I'm struggling with my SIM  Max in the early going.  Right now it's strictly a backup to the TS1, which is just soooo good!  But the few times, I've taken it out and hit shots with it on the course, it's been very inconsistent. and mostly bad.   

What loft do you have? What type of flight/shots are you seeing?

I have the 9.5 but have it lofted up 1.5.  Definitely seeing a low flight and fighting a low right.   I ordered it 1/2 short and requested the SW still to be D2, not sure if it came in at that or not, don't have the ability to measure.    Could be something in that combo that isn't a good "fit" for me.   Played the TS1 during the round, and hit it really well.  So it can't be just the swing. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I have the 9.5 but have it lofted up 1.5.  Definitely seeing a low flight and fighting a low right.   I ordered it 1/2 short and requested the SW still to be D2, not sure if it came in at that or not, don't have the ability to measure.    Could be something in that combo that isn't a good "fit" for me.   Played the TS1 during the round, and hit it really well.  So it can't be just the swing. 

In reading other user feedback they have done pretty good in getting swingweights to requested number and/or getting headweight back to normal. There were a couple that I saw didn’t get close. 

Ive seen the max spin is only a few hundred rpm higher than sim so it could be spin related even with you lofting up

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

In reading other user feedback they have done pretty good in getting swingweights to requested number and/or getting headweight back to normal. There were a couple that I saw didn’t get close. 

Ive seen the max spin is only a few hundred rpm higher than sim so it could be spin related even with you lofting up

Yep, I have heard even the MAX head is lower spin compared to some other mainstream drivers out there.   I'll give it some more time, I have hit one or two very good drives with it, but if my life depended on having to hit a fairway...the TS1 would no doubt get the call. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Yep, I have heard even the MAX head is lower spin compared to some other mainstream drivers out there.   I'll give it some more time, I have hit one or two very good drives with it, but if my life depended on having to hit a fairway...the TS1 would no doubt get the call. 

Low spin heads for most of us older coots  is similar to riding a brahma bull with a case of extreme jock itch. It doesn't work too good 😉

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway MAVRIK MAX 3 - wood
Callaway Big Bertha 2019  4 & 5 hybrid 
Callaway Mavrik Max 6 hybrid
Tommy Armour 845 MAX 7 - GW Irons
Cleveland CBX 2 54 Degree SW
Cleveland CBX Full-Face Wedge 58 degree
Odyssey 
 ODYSSEY ARM-LOCK 2-BALL TEN 

4 hours ago, ole gray said:

Low spin heads for most of us older coots  is similar to riding a brahma bull with a case of extreme jock itch. It doesn't work too good 😉

Ha.  Good one.  Yeah I know what you mean.  But I have twice been fit into a low spin head the 917D3 and Epic Flash Sub Zero Due to my angle of attack and putting a lot of natural spin on it. 

Could I play it.  Sure. Its just not as high or as Consistent as the TS1, which for us old coots is like a pig finding a 3 foot deep mud pen in the middle of the desert.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Ha.  Good one.  Yeah I know what you mean.  But I have twice been fit into a low spin head the 917D3 and Epic Flash Sub Zero Due to my angle of attack and putting a lot of natural spin on it. 

Could I play it.  Sure. Its just not as high or as Consistent as the TS1, which for us old coots is like a pig finding a 3 foot deep mud pen in the middle of the desert.  

Dayuuuuuuuum you're good! 😂

• Like 1

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway MAVRIK MAX 3 - wood
Callaway Big Bertha 2019  4 & 5 hybrid 
Callaway Mavrik Max 6 hybrid
Tommy Armour 845 MAX 7 - GW Irons
Cleveland CBX 2 54 Degree SW
Cleveland CBX Full-Face Wedge 58 degree
Odyssey 
 ODYSSEY ARM-LOCK 2-BALL TEN 

16 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Played the TS1 during the round, and hit it really well.  So it can't be just the swing. 

three posts in a row all stating how well you hit the TS1.......................should I state the  'elephant in the room' 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

On 2/18/2020 at 12:30 PM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

If it's a lower spin head, and cranking the loft up closes the face, you might still be close to the same spin window- I noticed on TXG Matt was hitting a 10.5 head even at his swing speed. They also seem to think that this driver does a good job of separating or decoupling launch angle and spin rate.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

Pulled SIM Max 4 times today: 276 out of the car, 265, 264, 299 and all in the fairway. The first and the last were down wind, the others were into, and one was also uphill in addition. Feels great to be hitting driver well again, now just need to work out some kinks in my ball striking with my mid irons and I'll be happy and hopefully see my handicap drop.

• Like 7

Driver: :titelist-small: TSi3 10* Tensei AV Raw Blue

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Modus 3 115 Wedge

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 w/ BGT Stability Tour

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X

Doesn't suit my eye. Would probably play it for one season and get a new one next year that I liked to look at.

Driver - Titleist TS3 9.5 Hzrdus Smoke 6.5

3 wood - TaylorMade SIM MAX  15

Hybrid - TaylorMade SIM MAX 19

Irons - Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-PW 

Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM8 50F, 54D & 58M

Putter - Odyssey WH RX VLine