Taylormade SIM drivers - Thoughts?

JonMUSC08

I have not been a fan of TM for a long time. I am very surprised at this driver. I am always a bit skeptical to marketing stories, but I think this one has some legs to it. The M5 and M6 were both very slow for me in terms of ball speeds. This is very much the opposite. It works. 

Driver: SIM 9 Motore X F1 7X tipped 1 inch

Utility Iron: Cobra King Utility irons 18 degree Aldila rogue 90 X

Irons: Cobra King forged CB 4-PW KBS $ Taper 130 X

Wedges: Cleveland 49,52.58.64

Putter: Kronos Release.

I was able to hit the SIM today. Really liked it. Sound, to my ear, is similar to the M5/6 in that it’s more of a muted crack, where my hot melted M3 still has a little bit of the plink sound. As far as feel, the best way to describe it vs my M3 is solid. Not that the M3 isn’t, something about the SIM was just different. All in all, it’ll be at the top of my list when it’s tome to see if there’s anything better.

IMG_3215.thumb.JPG.35ecdf902c731e5f30e934bac57ef587.JPG

IMG_3216.thumb.JPG.63052909a5b986841cd62bd5465eab2f.JPG

• Like 1
  • TaylorMade SIM2 9.7* - Graphite Design Tour AD-HD 7 TX
  • TaylorMade M6 15.9* - PX HZRDUS Green 80 6.5 
  • Srixon Z565 3i - PX 6.5
  • Srixon Z745 4-P - PX LZ 7.0
  • Vokey SM7 50F / 55M / 59K - DG TI S400
  • Scotty Cameron X7 Phantom 34”
  • Titleist -Pro V1X

On 1/10/2020 at 1:41 PM, Smellis745 said:

I was able to hit the SIM today. Really liked it. Sound, to my ear, is similar to the M5/6 in that it’s more of a muted crack, where my hot melted M3 still has a little bit of the plink sound. As far as feel, the best way to describe it vs my M3 is solid. Not that the M3 isn’t, something about the SIM was just different. All in all, it’ll be at the top of my list when it’s tome to see if there’s anything better.

How did it feel and perform when you hit it?

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
3W:  Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead 2
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50º: Maltby TSW

56º:  Cleveland RTX-2 
60º: Maltby Tour Grind MG
Putter:  Odyssey White Hot RX 2-ball

Ball: Snell MTB X
Other: Arccos (first year lets see how it goes)
Handicap: 5.9  -  Best Score: 73 (1 over) Bryan Park - Players Course, Greensboro NC -2020

2020 MGS Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

Ugly.  It looks and sounds to me like nothing more than gimmicks and marketing hype.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Irons: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21* and Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 Blue Ion 54*

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

29 minutes ago, ZenGolfer said:

Ugly.  It looks and sounds to me like nothing more than gimmicks and marketing hype.

Interesting to make such a solid opinon without seeing it in person or hitting it.  Sounds like some preconceived anti TaylorMade bias going on.  

• Like 3

:titelist-small: TSi2 Kuro Kage 50g R Flex

:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:ping-small: Heppler Tomcast 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

Interesting to make such a solid opinon without seeing it in person or hitting it.  Sounds like some preconceived anti TaylorMade bias going on.  
Perhaps a bit. I'd love to see them prove me wrong though.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

13 minutes ago, ZenGolfer said:

Go hit it. You never know.  I havent owned a TM driver since the R15.  But I am going to demo this one. It has me intriqued from some of the reviews I've watched and read. 

:titelist-small: TSi2 Kuro Kage 50g R Flex

:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:ping-small: Heppler Tomcast 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

Go hit it. You never know.  I havent owned a TM driver since the R15.  But I am going to demo this one. It has me intriqued from some of the reviews I've watched and read. 
Or you could just buy a Cobra King F9. Pretty much the same thing. [emoji2369]

It’s not... I’ve hit it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy:  :callaway-small: Super Hybrid 17*, Aldila RIP Alpha 105 S, tipped 1”

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4-10, :Nippon: Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All clubs have :Arccos:  In the Winn Dri-Tac 2.0 Oversize grips

8 hours ago, ZenGolfer said:

What’s marketing hype? Have you seen any reviews on the driver? 

7 hours ago, ZenGolfer said:

You can go to pretty much any store and test it yourself.

6 hours ago, ZenGolfer said:

Or you could just buy a Cobra King F9. Pretty much the same thing. emoji2369.png

Another hot taje with zero proof.

• Like 2

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

This thread is hot garbage and non-forum members coming to MGS for info on the SiM are going to find this thread and scratch their heads 

• Like 2

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* VA Nemesys 65X
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50F - 54S - 59D
:EVNROLL: ER1v
:titelist-small: ProV1

2 hours ago, jlukes said:

This thread is hot garbage and non-forum members coming to MGS for info on the SiM are going to find this thread and scratch their heads 

You seem to know what this thread “should be”. Why don’t you just post what you think is lacking and try to make it better rather than slamming it or those commenting with their own opinion (regardless of what that opinion is based on)?

• Like 1

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Aldila RIP Alpha 60 S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hyrbrid: Mizuno CLK 19* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Bridgestone J40 CB (4-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 50*, 54*, & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT Premier 4 34"
Ball: Snell MTB-X
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

13 hours ago, pozzit said:

How did it feel and perform when you hit it?

Can’t really tell you how it performed, as I was hitting in an outdoor 25 yard bay without a launch monitor.  From where my current driver hits that net, this one seemed to make contact slightly higher, that’s comparing an 8.5 M3 and 8.0 SIM.  As far as spin and dispersion, can’t tell you.  Feel is subjective to each person, but the SIM felt solid.  That’s the best way I can describe it with the limited swings I had.  I plan to do a fitting sometime in the next month or so, when I do, I’ll post more thoughts then.

• Like 1
  • TaylorMade SIM2 9.7* - Graphite Design Tour AD-HD 7 TX
  • TaylorMade M6 15.9* - PX HZRDUS Green 80 6.5 
  • Srixon Z565 3i - PX 6.5
  • Srixon Z745 4-P - PX LZ 7.0
  • Vokey SM7 50F / 55M / 59K - DG TI S400
  • Scotty Cameron X7 Phantom 34”
  • Titleist -Pro V1X

7 minutes ago, Smellis745 said:

Can’t really tell you how it performed, as I was hitting in an outdoor 25 yard bay without a launch monitor.  From where my current driver hits that net, this one seemed to make contact slightly higher, that’s comparing an 8.5 M3 and 8.0 SIM.  As far as spin and dispersion, can’t tell you.  Feel is subjective to each person, but the SIM felt solid.  That’s the best way I can describe it with the limited swings I had.  I plan to do a fitting sometime in the next month or so, when I do, I’ll post more thoughts then.

From my experience it is a solid driver.  Sound isn't my preference, but the driver definitely performs.   Of the drivers I have tested so far in most wanted,  The Mavrik, SIM, and Cobra are all solider performers.  Which one is best?   That depends on you and your swing.  I'd like to compare over different days to see how they do over time,  but SIM and SIM Max seem to have generated the best ball speeds so far.  I've only tested 16 of the 39 drivers so far so there is lots of others that could take my top spot. 

• Like 5

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  Bellum Winmore 787

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, TR1PTIK said:

You seem to know what this thread “should be”. Why don’t you just post what you think is lacking and try to make it better rather than slamming it or those commenting with their own opinion (regardless of what that opinion is based on)?

There’s one thing about coming into the thread and giving opinions using some sort of data point whether it’s from personal testing, feedback from a review, etc.

Coming into a thread to offer an opinion with things like “it’s marketing hype” or it’s the same as driver X with no data to show it performs the same and just bashing a product is unnecessary. 

As for marketing what consumeR product doesnt have marketing hype around it. The marketing is what hypes a product and tries to draw the interest of the consumer. With just a little research one can see that the sim line of drivers isn’t just marketing hype. Does that mean it will benefit everyone the same or that they will be better for every golfer? No. But as MGS and every other forum, fitter, brand, etc says go get fit and see for yourself if it’s better or not. 

• Like 5

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

There have been an awful lot of comments (myself included) stating that the new Taylormade SIM drivers are somehow copying the Cobra F9 Speedback from last year. It's amazing how poor our memories are isn't it? Here's my attempt to clear the air on what has quickly become one of the most misunderstood attributes of Taylormade's new drivers...

In the fall of 2018, Cobra Golf announced the release of their 2019 driver, the Cobra F9 Speedback. The announcement and subsequent release of the driver followed Cobra's typical announcement and release cycle as evidenced by both the Cobra F8 driver and this year's Cobra Speedzone driver.

Likewise, Taylormade's announcement and release cycle has a similar pattern that just so happens to fall a little later on the calendar; Taylormade (at least for the past few years) has a tendency to wait until the new year before announcing their new drivers. 

So at this point you may be saying to yourself, "So what? The Cobra F9 was still released a full year before Taylormade SIM!" Ah, yes. Yes it was. Here's the thing though, SIM isn't a rip-off of the F9 Speedback. In fact, it isn't a rip-off of anyone else's product at all. The Taylormade SIM is an evolution of the Taylormade M6 driver that was released last year - the same year as F9. Clearly, Taylormade and Cobra being the innovators that they are, reached the same conclusion sometime ago (likely several years ago) that advancement in driver technology would involve improved aerodynamics and stability.

So does this mean that Taylormade didn't study the F9 and make tweaks based on Cobra's design? I honestly couldn't say for sure. It's anyone's guess, but there's no reason to believe that any OEM wouldn't take a closer look at what their competitors are doing to try and make themselves better.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

There’s one thing about coming into the thread and giving opinions using some sort of data point whether it’s from personal testing, feedback from a review, etc.

Coming into a thread to offer an opinion with things like “it’s marketing hype” or it’s the same as driver X with no data to show it performs the same and just bashing a product is unnecessary. 

As for marketing what consumeR product doesnt have marketing hype around it. The marketing is what hypes a product and tries to draw the interest of the consumer. With just a little research one can see that the sim line of drivers isn’t just marketing hype. Does that mean it will benefit everyone the same or that they will be better for every golfer? No. But as MGS and every other forum, fitter, brand, etc says go get fit and see for yourself if it’s better or not. 

Everyone is entitled to have an opinion regardless of where it comes from. Plain and simple. You can look all over the forum and find posts from users where they interject their own personal opinion with no objective evidence to support their claims (you and I included). IMO, it is the responsibility for those of us who have been here for a little while longer and who have some objective data and/or first-hand experience to insert our own findings into the conversation and steer each discussion toward a more constructive dialogue.

I won't respond to the latter portion of your post because my original comment toward @jlukes has nothing to do with the actual claims being made, "marketing BS", or the simple fact that results may vary for each individual user. These are all points that you and I agree on and restating them in my own words would be pointless.

• Like 3

The more I think of it, this is more Scummy by Fujikura than anything else. Cheapens their own brand. 
Why offer something with Ventus on it if it doesn't contain the "groundbreaking" tech that makes the actual Ventus great 
That's what I thought when I saw they did this. Dumb for their brand. Opens up the possibility of a lot of golfers not seeing the results they expect.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

:taylormade-small: M1 2017 10.5° (dialed to 9.5°) (X 75g Project X HZRDUS Black 6.5, Golf Pride CP2, 44.75")
:taylormade-small: M2 2017 3W 15° (X 75g Project X HZRDUS Black 6.5, Golf Pride CP2) | M1 2017 5W 19° (S 70g Kuro Kage Silver TiNi)
:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC FliHi 4, SC 5-7, MB 8-PW (S 110g KBS Tour C-Taper Lite, Lamkin UTX Wrap Blue, 1° flat, -1/4")
:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 52° F-grind,  56° M-grind, 60° L-Grind
:taylormade-small: TP Black Copper Juno

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.

Harlan Ellison

• Like 2

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* VA Nemesys 65X
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50F - 54S - 59D
:EVNROLL: ER1v
:titelist-small: ProV1

1 hour ago, jlukes said:

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.

Harlan Ellison

Ignorance is bliss

Cypher

Sorry, couldn't resist 🙂

• Like 3

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Epic SZ w/ VA Composites Raijin 65 04

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :ping-small: 5i-UW G700 w/ X100 soft stepped once

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 & 58 CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s