TESTERS WANTED! ×

New Handicap System is live, how did yours change?

hckymeyer

The handicap system is officially live.  Just curious how everyone's handicap has changed with the new system?  I went from a 3.4 to a 2.8 with the new system, I guess I became a half shot better golfer while doing nothing this winter.  Just hope I can carry that trend in to the season 🙂

So how did your handicap change?

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

1.1 to 0.6

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Went down .2 but not sure if that was just because of the normal revision or due to the new system

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

According to The Grint, mine didn't change.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I went from a 6.9 to a 7.3, but I was trending to 7.3 with the old system.  

After posting all of my 2020 rounds so far, and with revisions coming daily now, my handicap went to a 6.5 overnight.  I knew that was coming though, as I shot a 74 on 1/3/20.

I think it will be interesting to see the daily revisions of the new system.  Hopefully this will help eliminate some sandbaggers who knew how to work the system so that they'd not post any low scores within their last 20, right before a net tournament, and then shoot lights out in a tournament.  Meh, it probably won't matter, as sandbaggers are gonna be sandbaggers no matter what you implement to try and keep them honest.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

16 minutes ago, GSwag said:

I went from a 6.9 to a 7.3, but I was trending to 7.3 with the old system.  

After posting all of my 2020 rounds so far, and with revisions coming daily now, my handicap went to a 6.5 overnight.  I knew that was coming though, as I shot a 74 on 1/3/20.

I think it will be interesting to see the daily revisions of the new system.  Hopefully this will help eliminate some sandbaggers who knew how to work the system so that they'd not post any low scores within their last 20, right before a net tournament, and then shoot lights out in a tournament.  Meh, it probably won't matter, as sandbaggers are gonna be sandbaggers no matter what you implement to try and keep them honest.

The only chance to combat sandbaggers within the current system is through the diligence of a real handicap committee.  Unfortunately, based on what I see all over the internet, functioning committees are the exception rather than the rule.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

8.4 to a 8.3 .... we're in a non posting time currently, so that's all due to the change in calculations.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

The only chance to combat sandbaggers within the current system is through the diligence of a real handicap committee.  Unfortunately, based on what I see all over the internet, functioning committees are the exception rather than the rule.

You are correct.  The only way the handicap system truly works is within private clubs, where the members police each other.  I see that at my home course, as well as with friends at other courses.

I have a buddy who is a member of a club right by my house, and he actually has two handicaps.  He has his GHIN handicap which goes anywhere, and his club group maintains a handicap for him, based only on his rounds in their group play at the club.  So his GHIN index is actually a few strokes higher than his club group handicap, due to the rounds at other courses.  But his club group is so serious about possible sandbaggers that the only way you get in their game is to play a minimum of five rounds with the group before you are allowed to play for money.  But it's a $50 game, so the winner generally walks away with quite a bit of cash every time they play.  Too rich for my blood honestly, but I can promise you that that group will never have a sandbagger play with them.

And I'm pretty happy with my home course and our dog fight.  We use a stableford points game (1 point for bogey, 2 for par, 4 for birdie and 8 for eagle) and everyone has a quota they have to reach every time they play, and it is adjusted up if you do really well, and down if you have a bad round, and stays the same if you are right around your quota.  They also limit a bad round to -2 points to your quota to prevent someone from intentionally playing bad just to get their quota down, and then all of a sudden show up one week and go really low and win the thing.  Everyone knows everyone's game at my club for the most part, so sandbagging is pretty much impossible within our dog fight.  I've also seen all levels of golfers win our dog fight, from scratch players who shoot like 68 and higher cappers who shoot 79 one week and have a really good round.

Went from a 0.1 to a +0.5. We are in a non posting time so my index changed just based on the new calculation. Seems the low guys went lower and high caps went higher. Looks like I only play gross events this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

6 minutes ago, Jmikecpa said:

Went from a 0.1 to a +0.5. We are in a non posting time so my index changed just based on the new calculation. Seems the low guys went lower and high caps went higher. Looks like I only play gross events this season.

I don't see why you'd ever bother to play a handicapped competition .... you'd be at a serious disadvantage.    

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

I don't see why you'd ever bother to play a handicapped competition .... you'd be at a serious disadvantage.    

Because most of the events at my club are net events and we only have a handful of gross division events. Haven’t lived until you give 30 shots to someone that shoots a gross 84. I was -4 in the 10th tee and 6 down. I stopped playing the match play events last year and only play a few of the team events which may stop this year.

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

8 minutes ago, Jmikecpa said:

Because most of the events at my club are net events and we only have a handful of gross division events. Haven’t lived until you give 30 shots to someone that shoots a gross 84. 

At least this coming year that guy will have his handicap index reduced by 2 full strokes as soon as he enters that score.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

25 minutes ago, Jmikecpa said:

Seems the low guys went lower and high caps went higher. 

This makes sense to me.  For low guys, the elimination of the 0.96 multiplier has almost no effect, but the elimination of scores numbers 9 and 10 from the calculation result in a lower number.  For higher handicaps, the elimination of 0.96 is a much larger impact

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

31 minutes ago, Jmikecpa said:

Yup that's what happened to me - I went up  by .5. Unfortunately I had some blow-up rounds before the season closed. Also I can't post the recent rounds ((they were better then my handicap) because our handicap season is closed. On the other hand I feel good about my game regardless of what my index says. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

13 minutes ago, Jmikecpa said:

Because most of the events at my club are net events and we only have a handful of gross division events. Haven’t lived until you give 30 shots to someone that shoots a gross 84. I was -4 in the 10th tee and 6 down. I stopped playing the match play events last year and only play a few of the team events which may stop this year.

That's why we have a points system in our dog fight.  I've seen scratch players win the dog fight, and I've seen 25 handicappers win it, and everything in between.  If you were -4 in our dogfight, you'd probably have won it.  Granted, it's not match play, but you just keep making points, and go above your quota and boom, +8 and you will probably win.  But that's the fun part about our dogfight as well, because you never know what will win it.  I've seen a guy go +3, and everyone had a horrible day, and he won it.  Then I've seen a guy go +15 and lap the field and win it as well.  And then there is the poor guy who is a 9 handicap and shoots 96, and goes -11.  There's always next week.

What also keeps our dogfight interesting are the closest to the pins and the skins.  I've had a horrible day with my points, and I drop a birdie on a hard hole, and win cash for my skin.  That happened last Saturday with me.  It really makes the par 3s interesting, because you stand on that tee box and aim at every flag, because you want the closeup, but walk off the hole with double bogey because you missed and ended up in the ravine below the green.  The ultimate risk/reward game though, because you can play it safe and try and win the dogfight with your points, but you probably won't win a closeup on the par 3s.

Mine went from 23 to 24. Somehow I got worse 😔

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

2 hours ago, GSwag said:

That's why we have a points system in our dog fight.  I've seen scratch players win the dog fight, and I've seen 25 handicappers win it, and everything in between.  If you were -4 in our dogfight, you'd probably have won it.  Granted, it's not match play, but you just keep making points, and go above your quota and boom, +8 and you will probably win.  But that's the fun part about our dogfight as well, because you never know what will win it.  I've seen a guy go +3, and everyone had a horrible day, and he won it.  Then I've seen a guy go +15 and lap the field and win it as well.  And then there is the poor guy who is a 9 handicap and shoots 96, and goes -11.  There's always next week.

What also keeps our dogfight interesting are the closest to the pins and the skins.  I've had a horrible day with my points, and I drop a birdie on a hard hole, and win cash for my skin.  That happened last Saturday with me.  It really makes the par 3s interesting, because you stand on that tee box and aim at every flag, because you want the closeup, but walk off the hole with double bogey because you missed and ended up in the ravine below the green.  The ultimate risk/reward game though, because you can play it safe and try and win the dogfight with your points, but you probably won't win a closeup on the par 3s.

Both our men's league and events are set up for both gross and net awards. That eliminates the favoring of one over the other.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

1 hour ago, Mr_Theoo said:

Mine went from 23 to 24. Somehow I got worse 😔

Keep in mind that the Index is based on average of the best 8 of the last 20. So as you enter scores better than 24 over, the Index will start coming down. Just curious is your local Handicap District Association closed over the winter in Columbus? We're part of the Toledo District and are closed over the winter even though there are days we can play here. So unfortunately I can't enter scores. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

5 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

5.1 to 4.8, down 0.3.

... Same for me as I went from 0.1 to +0.2

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

5 hours ago, MattF said:

According to The Grint, mine didn't change.

Grint doesnt change until the 15th or at least when you open the app thats what it shows. 

Driver-  :taylormade-small:  2016 M2 12* Tensei Red Stiff

Wood(s)- :ping-small:  G400 5 Wood 16.9*/ 7 Wood 21.1* Alta CB Stiff

Irons-:mizuno-small:   JPX 900 Forged 6-GW NS Pro 950GH 

Wedges- :cleveland-small:   RTX 3 54*  588 RTX 2.0  58*   RTX 4 64*

Putter-  :taylormade-small:  Spider Tour Black 

Instagram- @patrickleeleep

4 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Same for me as I went from 0.1 to +0.2

It was that missed birdie putt on 16, wasn't it.  🤣

47 minutes ago, patrickleeleep said:

Grint doesnt change until the 15th or at least when you open the app thats what it shows. 

In theory, if the Grint is going to follow the USGA rules, they'll have to update the Handicap Index after each round is posted.  

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

At least this coming year that guy will have his handicap index reduced by 2 full strokes as soon as he enters that score.

IF that score was posted. I am still waiting for it to get posted.....

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

2 minutes ago, Jmikecpa said:

IF that score was posted. I am still waiting for it to get posted.....

Hell, if he played that well with me, I'd make sure posted it before he got out of my sight.  And I'd make sure he signed the card before posting his victory to the committee, and save a copy of the card.  Even if he didn't play well, I'd be encouraging him to post before leaving the course.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Hell, if he played that well with me, I'd make sure posted it before he got out of my sight.  And I'd make sure he signed the card before posting his victory to the committee, and save a copy of the card.  Even if he didn't play well, I'd be encouraging him to post before leaving the course.

He spends a lot in the Proshop so you can guess the outcome. The round that I played this year hurt and shot 87 was posted by the shop before my first beer in the grille room.

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

In theory, if the Grint is going to follow the USGA rules, they'll have to update the Handicap Index after each round is posted.  

I meant the Grint isnt integrating until the 15th. Thats what their app says. 

Driver-  :taylormade-small:  2016 M2 12* Tensei Red Stiff

Wood(s)- :ping-small:  G400 5 Wood 16.9*/ 7 Wood 21.1* Alta CB Stiff

Irons-:mizuno-small:   JPX 900 Forged 6-GW NS Pro 950GH 

Wedges- :cleveland-small:   RTX 3 54*  588 RTX 2.0  58*   RTX 4 64*

Putter-  :taylormade-small:  Spider Tour Black 

Instagram- @patrickleeleep

8 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

Keep in mind that the Index is based on average of the best 8 of the last 20. So as you enter scores better than 24 over, the Index will start coming down. Just curious is your local Handicap District Association closed over the winter in Columbus? We're part of the Toledo District and are closed over the winter even though there are days we can play here. So unfortunately I can't enter scores. 

No idea if its closed or not. I signed up thru golftec where I do my lessons and I rarely if ever play in the winter time

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I went up, from 16.6 to 17.6......huh?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I went down .1 literally overnight to 13.4

The .96 multiplier was removed by GHIN.

Sent from my SM-N920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

My :1590477705_SunMountain: C-130 cart bag currently includes;

Driver: :srixon-small: z565 10.5*, Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6 S-Flex
Fairways:  :callaway-small: X-Hot 15* & 18*, Project X PXv R-Flex
Irons: :benhogan-small:Apex Plus, 4-PW, Apex S4-Flex
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CG10; 50*, 54*, 58*, Dynamic Gold W-flex 

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro Blade #2
Grips: Golf Pride MCC-Plus 4 & Lamkin UTx
Ball: Kirkland Signature 3-Piece