hckymeyer

New Handicap System is live, how did yours change?

Our Sponsors

The handicap system is officially live.  Just curious how everyone's handicap has changed with the new system?  I went from a 3.4 to a 2.8 with the new system, I guess I became a half shot better golfer while doing nothing this winter.  Just hope I can carry that trend in to the season 🙂

So how did your handicap change?

• Like 4

Went down .2 but not sure if that was just because of the normal revision or due to the new system

• Like 1

According to The Grint, mine didn't change.

• Like 1

5.1 to 4.8, down 0.3.

I went from a 6.9 to a 7.3, but I was trending to 7.3 with the old system.  

After posting all of my 2020 rounds so far, and with revisions coming daily now, my handicap went to a 6.5 overnight.  I knew that was coming though, as I shot a 74 on 1/3/20.

I think it will be interesting to see the daily revisions of the new system.  Hopefully this will help eliminate some sandbaggers who knew how to work the system so that they'd not post any low scores within their last 20, right before a net tournament, and then shoot lights out in a tournament.  Meh, it probably won't matter, as sandbaggers are gonna be sandbaggers no matter what you implement to try and keep them honest.

16 minutes ago, GSwag said:

I went from a 6.9 to a 7.3, but I was trending to 7.3 with the old system.  

After posting all of my 2020 rounds so far, and with revisions coming daily now, my handicap went to a 6.5 overnight.  I knew that was coming though, as I shot a 74 on 1/3/20.

I think it will be interesting to see the daily revisions of the new system.  Hopefully this will help eliminate some sandbaggers who knew how to work the system so that they'd not post any low scores within their last 20, right before a net tournament, and then shoot lights out in a tournament.  Meh, it probably won't matter, as sandbaggers are gonna be sandbaggers no matter what you implement to try and keep them honest.

The only chance to combat sandbaggers within the current system is through the diligence of a real handicap committee.  Unfortunately, based on what I see all over the internet, functioning committees are the exception rather than the rule.

• Like 2

8.4 to a 8.3 .... we're in a non posting time currently, so that's all due to the change in calculations.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

The only chance to combat sandbaggers within the current system is through the diligence of a real handicap committee.  Unfortunately, based on what I see all over the internet, functioning committees are the exception rather than the rule.

You are correct.  The only way the handicap system truly works is within private clubs, where the members police each other.  I see that at my home course, as well as with friends at other courses.

I have a buddy who is a member of a club right by my house, and he actually has two handicaps.  He has his GHIN handicap which goes anywhere, and his club group maintains a handicap for him, based only on his rounds in their group play at the club.  So his GHIN index is actually a few strokes higher than his club group handicap, due to the rounds at other courses.  But his club group is so serious about possible sandbaggers that the only way you get in their game is to play a minimum of five rounds with the group before you are allowed to play for money.  But it's a $50 game, so the winner generally walks away with quite a bit of cash every time they play.  Too rich for my blood honestly, but I can promise you that that group will never have a sandbagger play with them.

And I'm pretty happy with my home course and our dog fight.  We use a stableford points game (1 point for bogey, 2 for par, 4 for birdie and 8 for eagle) and everyone has a quota they have to reach every time they play, and it is adjusted up if you do really well, and down if you have a bad round, and stays the same if you are right around your quota.  They also limit a bad round to -2 points to your quota to prevent someone from intentionally playing bad just to get their quota down, and then all of a sudden show up one week and go really low and win the thing.  Everyone knows everyone's game at my club for the most part, so sandbagging is pretty much impossible within our dog fight.  I've also seen all levels of golfers win our dog fight, from scratch players who shoot like 68 and higher cappers who shoot 79 one week and have a really good round.

Went from a 0.1 to a +0.5. We are in a non posting time so my index changed just based on the new calculation. Seems the low guys went lower and high caps went higher. Looks like I only play gross events this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, Jmikecpa said:

Went from a 0.1 to a +0.5. We are in a non posting time so my index changed just based on the new calculation. Seems the low guys went lower and high caps went higher. Looks like I only play gross events this season.

I don't see why you'd ever bother to play a handicapped competition .... you'd be at a serious disadvantage.    

• Like 3

I don't see why you'd ever bother to play a handicapped competition .... you'd be at a serious disadvantage.    

Because most of the events at my club are net events and we only have a handful of gross division events. Haven’t lived until you give 30 shots to someone that shoots a gross 84. I was -4 in the 10th tee and 6 down. I stopped playing the match play events last year and only play a few of the team events which may stop this year.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Jmikecpa said:

Because most of the events at my club are net events and we only have a handful of gross division events. Haven’t lived until you give 30 shots to someone that shoots a gross 84. 

At least this coming year that guy will have his handicap index reduced by 2 full strokes as soon as he enters that score.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Jmikecpa said:

Seems the low guys went lower and high caps went higher. 

This makes sense to me.  For low guys, the elimination of the 0.96 multiplier has almost no effect, but the elimination of scores numbers 9 and 10 from the calculation result in a lower number.  For higher handicaps, the elimination of 0.96 is a much larger impact

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Jmikecpa said:

Yup that's what happened to me - I went up  by .5. Unfortunately I had some blow-up rounds before the season closed. Also I can't post the recent rounds ((they were better then my handicap) because our handicap season is closed. On the other hand I feel good about my game regardless of what my index says. 

13 minutes ago, Jmikecpa said:

Because most of the events at my club are net events and we only have a handful of gross division events. Haven’t lived until you give 30 shots to someone that shoots a gross 84. I was -4 in the 10th tee and 6 down. I stopped playing the match play events last year and only play a few of the team events which may stop this year.

That's why we have a points system in our dog fight.  I've seen scratch players win the dog fight, and I've seen 25 handicappers win it, and everything in between.  If you were -4 in our dogfight, you'd probably have won it.  Granted, it's not match play, but you just keep making points, and go above your quota and boom, +8 and you will probably win.  But that's the fun part about our dogfight as well, because you never know what will win it.  I've seen a guy go +3, and everyone had a horrible day, and he won it.  Then I've seen a guy go +15 and lap the field and win it as well.  And then there is the poor guy who is a 9 handicap and shoots 96, and goes -11.  There's always next week.

What also keeps our dogfight interesting are the closest to the pins and the skins.  I've had a horrible day with my points, and I drop a birdie on a hard hole, and win cash for my skin.  That happened last Saturday with me.  It really makes the par 3s interesting, because you stand on that tee box and aim at every flag, because you want the closeup, but walk off the hole with double bogey because you missed and ended up in the ravine below the green.  The ultimate risk/reward game though, because you can play it safe and try and win the dogfight with your points, but you probably won't win a closeup on the par 3s.

• Like 2

Mine went from 23 to 24. Somehow I got worse 😔

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, GSwag said:

That's why we have a points system in our dog fight.  I've seen scratch players win the dog fight, and I've seen 25 handicappers win it, and everything in between.  If you were -4 in our dogfight, you'd probably have won it.  Granted, it's not match play, but you just keep making points, and go above your quota and boom, +8 and you will probably win.  But that's the fun part about our dogfight as well, because you never know what will win it.  I've seen a guy go +3, and everyone had a horrible day, and he won it.  Then I've seen a guy go +15 and lap the field and win it as well.  And then there is the poor guy who is a 9 handicap and shoots 96, and goes -11.  There's always next week.

What also keeps our dogfight interesting are the closest to the pins and the skins.  I've had a horrible day with my points, and I drop a birdie on a hard hole, and win cash for my skin.  That happened last Saturday with me.  It really makes the par 3s interesting, because you stand on that tee box and aim at every flag, because you want the closeup, but walk off the hole with double bogey because you missed and ended up in the ravine below the green.  The ultimate risk/reward game though, because you can play it safe and try and win the dogfight with your points, but you probably won't win a closeup on the par 3s.

Both our men's league and events are set up for both gross and net awards. That eliminates the favoring of one over the other.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr_Theoo said:

Mine went from 23 to 24. Somehow I got worse 😔

Keep in mind that the Index is based on average of the best 8 of the last 20. So as you enter scores better than 24 over, the Index will start coming down. Just curious is your local Handicap District Association closed over the winter in Columbus? We're part of the Toledo District and are closed over the winter even though there are days we can play here. So unfortunately I can't enter scores. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

5.1 to 4.8, down 0.3.

... Same for me as I went from 0.1 to +0.2