Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

2020 Official Member Review: SKYCADDIE SX400 GPS

GolfSpy MPR

Intro

First off, thank you to MGS and SkyGolf for the opportunity to test this cool device!

I have been playing since I was 13 years old (turning 60 this year) and live in the Washington DC area in Maryland. I have never had a distance device although I have used my buddy’s range finder at times. I have problems with scope styled devices. Now that I am getting on in years, my hands get a little shaky when trying to target it and my eyes don’t focus through the viewfinder well. I have gotten along by using the course markers (100/125/150/etc.) or the GPS in the cart when I ride.

My main interest in this is for a quick distance reference. I know my distances, so a quick check on the yardage and I am ready to go. I consider myself a technology user. I have the usual laptop, smart phone, tablet, etc. laying around but I don’t go too far past what I just need it to do.

My game – I can still get out there decently and I’m a consistent ball striker. My misses aren’t too bad. I am an 8 handicap, more from a mediocre short game than anything else. I love the “hitting” aspect of the game. Not so much the touch/feel part of it.

In the bag:
Callaway Epic SZ, 9 degree
Callaway Epic Flash 3wood & 5 wood
Callaway Rogue 4 hybrid
Callaway Steelhead XR 5-AW
Titleist SM7 54/58 wedges
Ping Redwood Anser putter

First Impressions

My first impression of this product is that it is well-made. The packaging is very similar to any other tech device. It came in a nice well-padded box, with the device, instructions, and some extra goodies - tees and a card with a 1-year membership (very cool and appreciated). SkyCaddie added a nice rubber cover with a clip to attach it to your bag and a screen cleaning cloth. Again, very appreciated.

GRADING

Looks and Feel (10 out of 10 points)

The SkyCaddie is smaller than my cellphone, but has a good heft to it. I tested how well it is built by immediately dropping it on the floor after turning it on. I’ve also dropped it to the ground while playing a couple of times and it has handled it well. So, it is klutz proof.

It fits well in my hand with all the buttons in the normal cell phone locations. While playing, it fits easily in the compartment on my push cart and in the cup holder in the golf cart.

SkyCaddieSX400.jpg.622a7a0afeca71f4b758cda72d5ed576.jpg

Setup (15 out of 15 points)

Set up was easy.  After I turned it on, I connected it to my home Wi-Fi network and did the entire setup through the Wi-Fi. The instructions that they sent as well as those on the website were clear and concise. It was a very quick and easy process. You can use the USB cord and do it on your computer also if you’d rather. There is a link to customer service to help with setup, but I did not need it.

I turn it on when I get to the course and it is ready by the time I tie my shoes. Twice, I went parking lot to first tee and it was ready to go. The other time, I warmed up for about 15 min and then played around with some of the other features.  The touch screen is responsive and easily navigates from screen to screen

Accuracy (14 out of 15 points)

The accuracy is spot on! I have checked it against fairway markers, cart GPS, and my buddy’s rand finder.  Given that the course markers and cart GPS are measured the same way as the SkyCaddie, I am not surprised with that outcome. I got a much more accurate reading with the device than I did with the laser, and it was much faster. I used it for lay ups to certain spots and distances to hazards, trees, sand, etc.  Going strictly on those numbers, I was able to club myself appropriately.

The only drawback I found with distance to the pin. My game is fine with front, center, back distances to the green, but it would be nice to have a “to the pin” distance. That is the only issue I have with the accuracy.

On Course (25 out of 30 points)

I have always been a sprinkler head or course marker pacer to get my yardages. In the most basic function of getting a yardage, this is awesome. There is no lag time getting its yardages, as some of the cart devices I’ve seen have. I get to my ball, glance at the SkyCaddie, and get my yardage and go. Very quick and easy. Love it! I feel my pace of play might be a little faster by not having to pace off my distances from a marker.

A course I play a lot that has multiple blind shots. My friends who have lasers have a tough time on this course because of the limited line of sight. My buddy used his laser and I used the Sky Caddie for comparison. Obviously, from the middle of the fairway with a clear view of the flag, both had similar readings. Where it got fun was from the rough, behind mounds or hills, in the trees, anything off the beaten track (not that we ever miss fairways!). The Sky Caddie showed me the yardage, and a good target line while my buddy had to walk to the top of the hill to get clear line of sight and then pace back to his ball.

Using the features beyond “just the basics” can be overwhelming. The aerial/overhead feature is cool, but I don’t see myself taking the time to switch views. Maybe when the weather warms up and there are more people on the course slowing us down, I’ll start switching screens. Most of the courses I play, I have been playing for many years so I know the course.

I have not used the tracking feature much (or very well). If I remember to push the button before I hit the shot, I don’t remember to do it when I get to my ball or vice-versa.  It is no big deal to me since I have been playing for over 45 years and know my distances pretty good. It is a really cool feature that will help a lot of people. I just haven’t been able to remember to use it properly. I am sure this will come with usage and I’ll probably be telling everyone how great a tool it is by the summer.

The maps/displays are easy to see and the target marker is easy to move. 

The scorecard is easy to use as well. I will occasionally forget to enter my score for a hole or two and it is easy to go back and enter. The stats are pretty basic so it doesn’t take any time at all to enter your score, putts, and whether you hit the fairway. I do that as I am walking to the next tee.

The battery life is incredible. It still has half a life after 3 rounds

497985939_SkyCaddieLB5.jpg.c39392232cd02d2ad227d5d9aa5e8b3f.jpgLB5.jpg.a36d620f1d5de3e15a94700464c96b25.jpg

1700176003_SkyCaddieLB13.jpg.3b9b00607fc109091410ea23ff94788a.jpgLB13.jpg.ae9a3fa7a143fea3dbe6f7bfbb02b4ef.jpg

Miscellaneous (10 out of 10 points)

I’ve hit on most topics already. The most telling is my buddy putting his laser away and started asking what my “little gps thingy” said what his yardage is. I never even broke stride as I told him the read out.

Downloading the stats to my profile on the SkyGolf360 website was easy. I did it from the garage when I got home.

worthington scorecard.jpg

note - I actually played the blue tees at 6500 yds, not the black.

Play it or Trade it? (19 out of 20 points)

I love it! This is definitely a keeper. I feel like I have been playing at a better pace. My mind is a scary place at times. This frees up a lot of clutter. No more counting from a sprinkler while someone is talking to me (Was that 37 or 27?). Super-fast and easy in its most basic use.

The only mark against it will be the annual cost (next year). It is really about the cost of a box of balls, but next year when I pay (and I will), it’ll bug me for about 10 seconds until I put in perspective.

Conclusion

I have always been leery of yardage devices due to my perceived notion that they take forever to use. It drives me nuts when my friends try to shoot their target and then argue with the other guys on what number they got. Then shoot it again. This is the closest thing I have found to KISS – keep it simple stupid. I am loving it. I think it will even be better on courses I am not familiar with.

Great graphics, easy to see, very accurate, and as many features you may or may not wish to use.

Final Score 93 out of 100 points

Edited by gregh729

:callaway-small: Mavrik Max, 9* 
:taylormade-small:Stealth 15* / 18*
:callaway-small: Rogue 4H, 21*
:callaway-small: Steelhead XR 5-AW 
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore 52* / 56*
:odyssey-small: White Hot Versa Seven S , 35"
Many other putters in the bullpen waiting for call

I am a five handicap who has the intention of getting to scratch by 2021.  My struggle has been accuracy off the tee but it’s gotten a lot better.  My strengths are the scoring clubs and putting.

● I play in and around Sonoma county, CA.  Favorite courses: Sonoma GC, Windsor GC, Bodega Bay GC, Foxtail South GC.

● I have been golfing on and off for 25 years.

● WITB:

Driver: Ping G410 LST 9* ventus black 6x

3w: Titleist TS3 15* hazardous smoke stiff 70g

3i: Gapr Lo 19* tensei white s 90hy

4-p: Titleist AP2 718 amt white s300

50,56,60: Taylor Made MG2

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas Stroke lab superstroke flatso 2.0

● I am tech savvy.

● Up until using the SkyCaddie I was using the on course markers and my intuition to get yardages.  If my playing partner had a range finder I would get my number in my own head then ask him how close I was, usually within a few yards. 

First Impressions

The SkyCaddie arrived and I had no problem setting it up, loading in my “Favorite” courses, updating it, and getting it charged and ready to hit the course.  It’s about the size of an original iPhone but a bit thicker.  It feels durable and sturdy.  The interface felt a bit clunky and not as easy to navigate as a modern phone but still responsive enough to get the job done.  I attached the belt clip and threw it in my bag.

Grading

Looks & Feel 

8/10

Describe the following for the device:

● it’s like a chunky first generation iPhone

● the main feature I customized was the “Favorites” option so my most frequently played courses appeared quickly 

● solid build quality that seems like it will last a long time 

● case is decent, nothing special

Setup 

15/15

Quick and easy to set up.  Fairly quick to charge and I was able to get roughly 72 holes on a single charge although they recommend charging after every round.   Cable is a mini usb type.

Accuracy 

15/15

● Yardages are spot on.  Compared with people using range finders and also using phone apps.  This was such an asset and I felt like the SkyCaddie did its job perfectly.  I used it in places with no cell signal and the phone apps of my playing g partners didn’t work.  Also helped me dial my numbers in on my clubs.

On-Course 

27/30

● Didn’t have to do anything special to use the product, turn it on and it’s easy from there.

● It didn’t mess with my normal routine.

● It was intuitive to use on the course.

● I loved using it and thought the name was perfect because I’d get done with a round at a new golf course and feel like I really had a caddie with me!  The overhead full hole view helps with blind shots and hazards that are easy to see.  Super useful tool when playing a new course.

● I will never go back to only using the on course landmarks and markers for yardages.

● I am a better golfer with the help of this product.

Miscellaneous 

5/10

I never knew where to put this thing during a round.  The clip fell off my bag and I lost this thing twice, luckily it was given back both times!!

Play it or Trade it?

10/20

I’m torn because I love this tool but would never spend $300 on it, even if I should.  I’ve been made aware of free phone apps that come close to doing the same job as this, albeit there are certain drawbacks.  I’m definitely going to play it, but don’t see myself buying it on my own.

Conclusion

The SkyCaddie is all it’s name suggests, an on the course helper from heaven.  This thing is a huge asset when playing a new course or even at your usual track.  It helped me dial in my distances in a real on course setting and get my approach shots closer.  It helps you make smarter decisions off the tee by giving you a birds eye view of where you can get into trouble.  However, at $300 plus a paid subscription I’m not sure I would fork that dough over though considering the free apps out there that do a similar, yet less than perfect job.  That being said I cherish this new tool in my golf bag and the confidence it gives you just might be worth the money.  It frees you up to just see it and do it, knowing you have a good yardage, or at least a caddie to blame if not.

Final Score: 80/100

75E4FA1E-229B-49D4-B7D7-538A7536BE51.jpeg.8a91a4cc04a8f058978bf02bccab41f1.jpeg38EEB7C8-3EDA-4E0A-A76B-4236D2EC3E9F.jpeg.27197038e4e12288a61433c035f69c91.jpeg0A9B55E0-EF82-4F67-88C1-AD0EB304C872.jpeg.38960ded7c0d513ff9301555d92c9336.jpeg

5AB94354-038F-40E7-B4BA-8C5FA8ECE632.jpeg

Edited by Will_the_thrill

Sky Caddie SX400

Intro

Just to introduce myself. I am a solid 5 handicap golfer. I have been playing since I was a freshman in high school and Just turned 40 (yay me!). I work hard on my game and I am a good driver of the ball. I hit the ball far for my ability but suck around the greens for the most part. I describe myself as a gorilla golfer. Hit ball, find ball, repeat.  I play mostly in the northern NV and NorCal area. My current set make up is

·         SIM driver

·         Cobra Utility 18* (I currently do not carry any fairway woods

·         Cobra King Forged 4-PW all CB irons

·         Cleveland RTX4 50,54,64 wedges.

As far as technology goes, I am capable. Use a smart phone, have multiple tablets and devices around my house but I in no way consider myself an expert. I have never had anything more than an app on my phone. I am good at borrowing playing partners range finders or devices though.

First Impressions

My First impression of this product is that it is a classy well-built item. The packaging is very similar to smart phones these days. Nice hard, smooth box. That slides right of. Inside the box is everything you need packaged very neatly. Some cards, tees (nice touch) the device and a card with a 1-year membership (another nice touch).

image.png.659382fb4be2831bf579e9a000f90286.png

The device is not as big as I thought it would be. Smaller than your smart phone. I have seen and held the SX500. It is much bigger, too big really. This devise is much smaller. If your eye sight is a bit dodgy and may be too small but I find it baby bears portage just right. It fits in one hand comfortably and will also fit into a cup holder in a cart.

image.png.1dceef6886cc7239000852d0146d133b.png

Grading 

Looks & Feel (10 out of 10 points) 

• It is smaller than a smart phone but is very comfortable.
  • It came with a nice clip and rubber cover that has a clip to attach to your bag for carrying and easy access.
  • I have dropped it several times and it is solid and well built.
  • There is no storage bag or case to speak of, but it will fit in any pouch in your bag.
  • I have seen and read complaints that the screen con be unresponsive. I never had any issues. It has a nice haptic response to touching the screen and is very easy to manipulate.

Setup (14 out of 15 points)

Set up was a breeze. I turned it on and connected it to my WIFI network in my house and did the entire setup process on the device itself. It was super simple and it walked you right through the whole process. You can use the cord and do it on your computer as well. But I have not tried that. I have done everything right from the device itself. I have since gone on the skygolf website and set up my bag and created a profile for stat keeping (more on this later). All of it was easy and simple. Here is the interesting thing. The battery life is amazing. I have used it half a dozen times. Two 9 hole rounds and four 18 hole rounds. Since the initial charge which I did over night so I do not know for sure how long it took. I have not charged it and currently have about a quarter of battery life left. I love the information that is provided. The most useful after just the distance to a point, is the green measurements provided. The distance from front to back is a game changer for me and is very eye opening. Knowing that It is 150 to the front and 175 to the back is much more useful this just 160 to the center.

Accuracy (13  out of 15 points)

The accuracy is great! I feel it is incredibly accurate. I did not compare it to a laser device, but the numbers make sense in the real and math what is on the screen. If you want a specific distance to say a pin. It is a bit trickier. You must look at the pin then move the little curser to where you think it is. Some for specific objects like if you wanted to know where a tree was.  So, if you want the exact number to specific objects. You may need a laser in addition to this device if you are want those exact numbers. I also use the Grint app for score keeping and to manage a handicap. I like having a stand alone device for course management. Using an app for that drains your battery, and out side the screen can be hard to see. I also found the sky caddie to be more accurate.

image.png.1c1cc8606d16ff764c374b3c057db5e5.png

image.png.68e4780c054abec41b96d6228d451e75.png

On-Course (25 out of 30 points)

Because I have never been super specific about my yardages (to my detriment) it is taking me a little effort to remember to check. There have been a few times that I have not and wished I had. I am getting used to it and as I have played it has become more natural and part of my routine. Once you get in a grove it is quick and easy to get yardages and takes just a few seconds. So, the pace of play never is impacted. In fact, if you were a sprinkler hunter before, this is faster than that by miles. This has 100% with out a doubt helped my scores. At a course I play regularly I discovered that the yardages I thought I was at were not accurate. It has me pulling completely different clubs. I also see how far it is to hazards, obstacles etc. I am able to play much smarter simply because of information.

On of my favorite aspects of the sky caddie is the access to skygolf360. It is part stat keeping, part command center, part community. I have yet to use the community portion of it. I am really enjoying the state keeping portion. You can go into this section and edit your rounds, add in what club you hit if you remember or keep track and track progress. There is more here than I so far have been able to figure out. I plan on spending more time to understand what is available and what it can do. I really think this is something that in addition to the range finder providing on course information. If I take a few moments each round to collect data, I can really start to understand my game.

image.png.23d58cfd2291b4362bb519be2f1efb13.png

image.png.d03930976380be8deec98d1d3b1508b8.png

image.png.6ddff41ab47927e1e96649d00fe02c34.png

Play it or Trade it? (20 out of 20 points)

I jumped at the chance to be apart of the test for a couple reasons. One, I did not have a range finder or course measuring device of any kind. And 2, I was just about to pull the trigger on one of these any way. So I am very very grateful to have been selected as part of this test.

Conclusion

I am looking forward to summertime when the weather is not so unpredictable to get on the course more regular with this. I real do think this can be a game changer for me. The information available is great! As with any device, there are a few gives and takes. The only takes here for me are an annual membership, and the very slight difficulty to get distances to pins. You can get it close though and I am not a tour pro that can hit a 113-yard wedge on command. So, the accuracy provided exceeds my level of play.

The annual memberships come in a few forms. State, nation, and world. Ranging from $29.95 to $59.95. We were given a 1-year worldwide membership. As much as I would love to play some golf outside the states, I do not realistically see that happening. When it is time to renew, I will most likely opt for the nationwide plan. At the cost of a box of balls for all that comes with it, I do not think it is an unreasonable ask.

Final Score: 92 out of 100

Edited by Quigleyd

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

Introduction:  I started golf later in life, after retiring from the military.  For some reason, they frowned on hitting golf balls onboard a nuclear submarine.  So, I was about 38 when I decided to get into golf and have been playing for the last 30 years (yeah, do the math).  I’m currently sporting an index of 8.0.  Typically, I strike the ball fairly well, although distance has slowly been dwindling.  I’m a decent, but not great, putter and my biggest weakness in my game is chipping and short pitches.  I’ve been a member of the Rogue Valley Country Club in Medford Oregon for the last 15 years.

My bag currently consists of a Ping 400 Max driver, a M4 16.5 fairway wood, M6 hybrids 3,4,5, Callaway Apex CF19 6 iron through 54 degree wedge, a Cleveland 60 degree lob wedge, and an Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s putter.  Irons and putter were custom fit at Club Champion (Portland).

Prior to this testing, I obtained yardages using a Bushnell laser.  I consider myself to be fairly technical literate, having been around computers since the early 80’s.

First Impressions: Along with the unit and supplied charger and cable, SkyCaddy also included a silicon clip case, a cleaning cloth for the glass front, a sim card including a one year worldwide membership, along with a few tees. The setup was intuitive and easy to navigate through the various screens.  The cord for the charger is a bit short for my tastes, but workable.

box1.jpg.bce85f1bbee97acda70495627651b51f.jpg    box2.jpg.65d63dee03dea8279ecb9eb1114af147.jpg

Looks and Feel  (9 out of 10 points): The SX400 is thicker than my phone, but otherwise a smaller footprint that fits easily into your pocket or neatly into your hand.  It is not a particularly heavy unit, so it won’t weigh heavily in your pocket should you chose to carry it in that manner.  The display is bright and crisp and easy to read.  I wear reading glasses normally, but have zero issues using the unit without wearing them.  Even in bright sunlight, the screen display is highly visible.  The colors and graphics are stellar. I found the included silicone case to be less than optimal. While it fit snugly and had the standard swivel belt clip, the case covered the charging port and you had to peel back that portion in order to charge the unit.  A minor inconvenience but soemthing that should not have been overlooked.  Personally, I didn’t care for using the case, not because of the aforementioned issue, but rather because it was cumbersome to clip and unclip from my belt.  I found it much easier to just slip it in my pocket.  I have seen no issues with scratching on the glass, despite that I slip in and out of my pocket frequently.  The case seems rugged on its own merits  and with the silicone case it would only be better protected.

Setup (13 out of 15 points): The basic setup was fairly straight-forward but little to no written instructions were included.  The Quick Start Guide directs you to a webpage to read the instructions.  Registration is simple, although I initially had issues trying to sync using the cord (albeit, I think it was a poor connection on my part and not the fault of the cable) and ended up using WiFi to sync the unit and register my unit.  Setting up for WiFi is similar to any similar electronic unit, such as your phone.  There are setting to control the screen brightness, time-outs, and other battery saving options.  While I didn’t use the online instructions very much, the unit was still easy to setup.

opening.jpg.5082c513a03d546b851a61ef2f8c4a84.jpg  mainmenu.jpg.4badab2370985412a08d244c238c99e6.jpg  menu-2.jpg.bedf7f54098bfacd0efc7f479121a140.jpg

Accuracy (15 out of 15 points): I found the yardages to be very accurate.  Most of my playing partners have either a GPS unit of some sort or a laser and the SX400 was well within any tolerances of accuracy.  Since I normally use a laser, I found the addition of the GPS yardages giving me front, middle, and back yardages, as well as yardages to hazards, invaluable and definitely worthwhile.  We have one hole that has a pond that will come into play if you drive the ball too far and it’s really nice to know the exact yardage to the water, regardless of where you’re standing in relation to the hazards.

On Course (25 out of 30): This was a difficult area to score.  In the end, I decided to score it based on how I used it rather than how others may use it and I could have easily given it a higher score than I did.  What I mean is that there are way more features available for the player to utilize than I find beneficial for my game.  Yardage information aside, this device will keep your score, maintain a record of putts and fairways hit, determine how far you just hit the ball, record successive shots, and even suggest which club you should use (should you choose to allow this mode and previously set it up to reflect your yardages).    I enjoyed determing my yardages to where I wanted to land, but found the scoring and marking features to be more of a novelty and more distracting than useful for my game play.  Others, of course, may find these features as highly beneficial.  My favorite feature is the ability to move the pin location on the green to give you even greater accuracy to where you want to land the ball (Now, if I can just get my game to the point where I can actually land my ball at the exact yardage I desire, but that’s for another article).  In fact, if you had the pin sheet for the hole locations, you could set up each hole prior to the round to reflect the actual pin locations on the SkyCaddie.

green-1.jpg.355860e201125f8852812e904d07a745.jpg 2.jpg.b7ac0c213024f1f7650f555d652ae5b9.jpg  green-3.jpg.4d66b87512149d7941c44ce9e35a1568.jpg   green-4.jpg.7d4bf19568d9b53b59e4fb99c59f5eb5.jpg

I also really like the “big number” screen, which is where I set mine up as default, allowing a quick glance to see the yardage for front, middle, and back.  Changing to more detailed screens is quick and easy whenever one wants.  I found it easy to flip back and forth between views, however, a few times I inadvertently would navigate to the wrong hole or other screen that required me to navigate back to the proper hole/screen.

152-1.jpg.df3edc22cf18095a6c56344bf3d69db1.jpg  152-2.jpg.569734c022ef7fff96accab9dafe2d47.jpg 152-3.jpg.f92ad6f9f3388e5e551ef27e2665a5d8.jpg 152-4.jpg.88ecc422ce5ec0ae2ee11a9d00e05c22.jpg 152-5.jpg.518c927979cba7a5f2305ebdb4c8a797.jpg  mark.jpg.a0ef61ae88d125c84265e54ed7f65bb2.jpg score.jpg.b5e1fccd6d70a144c2f68985f88d4bc6.jpg select.jpg.827092c5e2376050582e922fef0c8c0b.jpg

Miscellaneous (10 out of 10): The battery life is excellent.  I played 2 full rounds without charging and had 65% battery life remaining.  Of course, if you opt to keep the screen on constantly and full brightness, this is going to burn more juice.  Although I didn’t test it, the unit feels like it can withstand moderate rough handling.  The included case was a no-go for me, but I can see where others may find it invaluable.  The online website offers a significant amount of things one can do, should they so choose, such as tracking stats, scores, setting your personal distances for each club, and much more.

scores.jpg.9749995630656d6614f0464aa59be15b.jpg

Play it or Trade it? (20 out of 20):  Although I won’t be using the full capabilities of the SkyCaddie SX400, I will definitely include it in my bag.  It is a great tool, particularly when determining precise distances to reach or clear hazards, green distances and best places to land ones shot.  I will likely continue to use my laser in conjunction with the SX400 to give me the best of both worlds.  While it’s not an insignificant expense to purchase, I feel that this GPS unit is worth the money for anyone serious about their game.

Conclusion:  To summarize my review in a few words, the SkyCaddie SX400 is a well built and quality product that is easy to use and would benefit any golfer who is serious about scoring his best.  The information provided for on-course play is highly beneficial.  The additional features for keeping score, maintaining stats, determining club distances, and even selecting your club can be turned on or off as needed by the individual player, as desired.  If you’re in the market for a quality GPS, give the SkyCaddie SX400 some serious consideration.

Fianl Score:  92 out of 100

20200224_150747.jpg

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

*Photos being added Monday/Tuesday

The Review 3/7/2020

SkyCaddie SC400 – Official MGS Forum Review by JohnSmalls

Intro

Hi, I am John!  I live and play most of my golf to the right side of the ball in South Carolina at Spring Lake Country Club. I tried playing golf as a kid and in college but golf never really stuck.  Baseball, collegiate “distractions” all took priority through the years.  I refound golf and started seriously playing in February/March of 2017.  My game is streaky and can be a bit like Maverick from Top Gun, dangerous.  But sometimes the miraculous gets pulled off and I get lucky.  One or two crash and burns keep me out of the 80’s, but 2020 is a new year...the birdies are falling and just like Top Gun; 80’s here I come!

I currently play to a 20.  Inconsistency is key at remaining a high handicapper.  My strengths depend on the month.  January was short game.  Most of February was the month of the driver.  The last couple of weeks my fairway woods and irons have been the key to my game.  Overall, short/midirons are the most consistent.

The tools:  Ogio Silencer or a Jones Collegiate carries--- Ping G400 @ 9.6*, Aldila RIP Alpha cut to ~ 44.25”.   Nike Vapor Fly FW, Diamana blue.   Nike Covert 2.0 3H, Kuro Kage Black.  Wilson D7, 4-G, Dynamic Gold AMT, -.25” & 1*flat.   Ping Glide 56* ES.  Evnroll ER2.   Bridgestone BXS.  

First Impressions

Since we didn’t go into a store to pick these out, packaging/shipping materials can lead to a good first impression.  The good folks at SkyCaddie did well here.  Everything inside the box was neatly packaged and form fitting. No rattles, no surprises.  It looks like a $300 device should. 

The device has a good heft to it. The buttons are all premium feeling, with a high quality fit/finish.  The device has a rubberized texture and just feels downright durable. 

Straight out of the box the SkyCaddie fired up and was ready for Wi-Fi pairing.  The screen is just a touch behind my phone in clarity, but it is more than sufficient, especially for it’s intended use.  The touch screen is responsive (even with a FJ rain glove on), as are the three buttons on the face of the device.  The SkyCaddie comes with it’s own dedicated USB-C charging cord.  Added plus that the insulation is green, making it easy to pick out of a stack of cables.   SkyGolf/Caddie recommends that you use their wall plug for the optimal electrical current going into the device.

The device looks and feels rugged. It feels like it is made for the outdoors and it could outlast my iPhone.  In comparison, it is about 10% smaller height/width than my phone, but its about twice as thick.  However, this makes the SkyCaddie more comfortable and easier to hold.  The rubber case/beltclip provides one small layer of added protection. While it’s not made to withstand repeated abuse by concrete, I don’t see any reason why it won’t last years of service on the golf course.  I have gotten the device sandy, grassy, and despite dropping it on the course and it still looks brand new.  SkyGolf claims the SX400 is water resistant, which so far has proven true.  

For once I kept the instructions by my side while setting up the device and did actually read them.  However, I didn’t need them.  The onscreen instructions were clear, concise and got the job done. I should have called customer service just for the interaction, but I haven’t needed them.  I haven’t so much as had the thought of needing them. 

There are a few things that do not provide me much benefit—stableford scoring on the device, and the “Intelligreen” feature that shows some of the green’s contours, and “IntelliPath” suggested shot direction.  I am just not accurate enough for Intelligreen. Over these past couple of months, Intellipath just  hasn’t helped me….at all.

-Points subtracted for Intellipath

Accuracy (15 out of 15 points)

Let’s just cut to the chase.  This thing is accurate.  With everything, even driving range markers (yes, the SkyCaddie crew has measured the markers on the range).  Skycaddie has been within one yard of posted makers on the courses with two rare exceptions.  Both times (5-6yds difference) were from painted indicators on the cart path, not the actual stones in the fairway.  If you are playing to a blind pin, then you can rest assured that the middle of the green number is dead on.

On-Course (27 out of 30 points)

This thing is awesome.  Seriously, it’s like having a reliable caddie at your fingertips.  Turn on the device, it knows what course you are on.  Tell it what tees you’re playing and off you go.  You can even input your handicap for scoring.  Every yardage you should ever need is available within seconds.  I have played with a watch more than any other device.  This is marginally less convenient than looking at a watch. But the increase in data and potential accuracy is well worth the extra 5 seconds it takes over glancing at your wrist.  The Skycaddie is MUCH easier to use than a phone based app.  The maps are more intuitive and SkyCaddie  is a better platform than a phone based app.  Oh, and no need to be interrupted by texts, phone calls, nor emails.  After reverting back to using yardage markers for a few rounds and a couple of times during the middle of testing, lets just say I never want to do that again.  Last but not least, battery life is incredible!  I have played a dozen times or so since getting the device.  3-4 of those dozen times were 18 holes, the others were 9 hole treks.  I have charged the device twice in that span.

Things aren’t all roses though…here’s the negative:

-       the first few times out I wanted to switch between birds eye view and the bullet list of measurements, I was in a rush and mindlessly forgot the on screen buttons to press.  So I zoomed in on the birds eye view and got the measurements anyway.

-       Distance/stat tracking requires your attention.  When measuring a shot, you must press the little golf ball icon in the bottom left of the screen and indicate which club was played.  You must also remember to press the little golf ball icon again to stop measuring.  After using Arccos and Shotscope…this altered my golf routine and made me focus on the device.  Not a big deal, it causes me to focus more on my game, but I like to think about the shots to come, not the ones that I just played.  However,  you don’t have to use this feature, but it is nice to have.

I had a number of different guys join me for rounds during this test.  Every one of them deferred to the SkyCaddie by the end of the round.  Two guys put their laser rangefinders away, one checked his yardage and realized he hitting the trees behind the green, not the pin.  But the highlight of this test came in a 9 hole trek with my dad.  He is not a golfer, but enjoys a good Sunday walk.  I asked if he wanted to test the device, being a tech guy, he took the device and ran.  I told him that I would help ONLY if he absolutely needed guidance.  For the following hour and twenty minutes I had one reading after another, and when we walked off the course all I could here was how awesome the device was and how easy it was to use.  From a dude that doesn’t play golf he sure became a stellar caddie in a matter of minutes.

Play it or Trade it? (17 out of 20 points)

SkyCaddie SX400 is my new preshot routine.  Period.  I had as many birdies in one week with SkyCaddie as I had in any single month last calendar year.  If only it could track shots as seamlessly as Shotscope or Arccos, it would be perfect.  

Conclusion

I am a pessimistic tester, because I want products to earn their place in my bag.  In addition, I did not have an entirely favorable opinion on SkyCaddie products as I couldn't understand why you would pay $300 for a device and then have to pay a (small) yearly subscription fee to boot when Garmin is pay once and go.

With that said, there is not one single piece of golf equipment that I have enjoyed using as much as this SkyCaddie.  The yearly fee is nominal and is worth way more than the price charged.  Within seconds you have accurate measurements of every hazard, any point on the hole you’re playing, the width and depth of the green, a range of club measurements (after inputting club distances/recording shot tracking info), and the device will even keep your score. 

Like Goose was to Maverick, SkyCaddie is the perfect wingman.

Final Score  (93 out of 100)

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

The Review 03/06/2020

SkyCaddie SX400 – Official MGS Forum Review by TR1PTIK

Intro
As always, I’d like to first thank MGS and SkyGolf for this amazing opportunity!

I’ve been playing since I was a kid but became completely hooked 9 years ago and currently hover around a 10 handicap. Recently, I moved to Dallas, TX where I have the unique challenge of learning new courses. Thanks to my familiarity with courses back home, distance measuring devices were always optional, but my first round in Texas was 20 strokes above average and I lost 5 golf balls! The opportunity to test could not have come at a better time. 

I consider myself to be rather tech savvy (I have a degree in IT after all), and my clubs are equipped with Arccos, but my experience with DMDs is limited and I only use Arccos for shot tracking.

As for my game, strengths tend to be driving and putting while weaknesses are currently iron play and short game.

WITB: (see signature for full specs):
Driver – Mizuno ST190
Fairway – Mizuno ST190
Hybrid – Mizuno CLK
Irons - Nike Vapor Pro Combo
Wedges - Bridgestone Tour B XW-1
Putter - Scotty Cameron Futura 6m
Ball - Bridgestone Tour B XS

Most of my equipment found a place in my bag by chance. However, my putter was selected after a full month of on-course testing and my wedges came via MGS testing last year.

First Impressions
The SX400 came packaged like many smartphones - in a compartmentalized box. The device was surrounded by protective foam and topped off with a screen protector. Below it, were the charging cable, charger, and documentation. Though not in consideration for this review, SkyGolf also sent a few extra goodies - a silicone case with belt clip (sold separately - $29.95), a cleaning cloth, and a small handful of tees.

IMG_0761.jpg.c1feeeba53ee46d81aa6dd09f8923551.jpg

IMG_0764.jpg.df5306d027184a41d16e8a9c13017422.jpg

A full list of specifications and features can be found at www.skygolf.com, but I’ll try to highlight some of the more notable ones.

Measuring 127mm x 60.96mm x 17.78mm with a 4” HD LCD display and 540 x 1080 resolution, the SX400 can comfortably fit in my pocket while its rugged design and water resistance mean I don’t have to worry about course conditions or leaving it in my golf bag. The standout feature for this unit is the ground-verified course maps which rotate based on location so I can easily plan my approach into the green. I can also set the pin position to see precisely how much room is around the hole.

Looks & Feel (8 out of 10 points) 
As soon as I got the SX400 in my hands, it felt like a quality product. The size and shape are perfect for my hand so it’s easy to operate without additional stabilization or support. It has just enough weight to not feel cheap and is just light enough to not be disruptive when placed in my pocket. The material used to cover the sides and back is nice though it could offer additional texture for a more secure grip. The screen looks excellent and responds accurately to input, but the vibration motor for the touch screen borders on harsh - it’s reminiscent of the LG Dare phone I had in 2008. A softer vibration accompanied by sound like modern smartphones would be nice to see on any replacement models.

IMG_0771.jpg.68e1cae9bf94f86096ec4f1beeb75254.jpg

The SkyCaddie came out of the box with a full charge and the battery lasts a surprisingly long time - the specs state 12-14 hours of continued use. The cable uses USB-C which is a nice inclusion as well. Setup instructions could provide a touch more detail, but I got along without any issue - just follow the on-screen prompts to setup Wi-Fi and activate the membership.

Picture1.thumb.png.670e5badb1a4122211e156e666faf8a2.png

Accuracy with the GPS is excellent and rivaled the Bushnell Tour V3 I snagged for comparison. There were occasions where the SX400 provided a different reading, but it wasn’t much (only 1-2 yards). I also tested against Arccos, 18 Birdies, and SkyDroid using my iPhone 11 Pro. Comparisons were decent, though the apps were slightly less precise. What really made SkyCaddie stand apart from the rest was the maps. While I do like seeing satellite imagery, sometimes it makes it hard to differentiate between the fairway and rough or green and fringe, etc. The SkyCaddie maps clearly define everything you need to know about the hole.

IMG_0837.jpg.c32290da2aea43e835ff5e3e8a4d7594.jpg

On-Course (23 out of 30 points)
Using the device out on the course is simple, but not without fault. For starters, the search by location function has never worked for me. I always have to search manually or go to my list of favorites. Secondly, the device has so many features that it can be cumbersome to use depending on what’s enabled. I found most problems occur while using shot tracking features. I’ve been a user of Arccos and Game Golf for several years and using the SX400 requires more user input from the outset which takes time. The bigger issue came from using shot tracking and auto hole advance together. If I hit my approach long or take the cart to the back of the green for a more efficient departure, SkyCaddie will often advance to the next hole before I’ve completed tracking shots for the hole I’m playing. It’s not all bad though.

When it comes to getting distances, the SX400 provides a nice bird’s-eye view of the hole and offers a quick rundown of yardages - several other options are available with just a tap or two. You can select any point on the hole to get a yardage to that location and see what you would have left to the hole. You can also enable a much simpler screen that just lists front, back, and middle yardages in large text. When approaching the green, you can adjust pin placement to get a more precise yardage. The only hiccup I’ve had on occasion is sometimes I need to take the additional step of zooming out to get a better picture of my approach.

Compare1.png.cc94cfc456809175e99135c3b72fbc8a.png

Compare2.png.efdc8e64126099849c591687bd0bd11a.png

Miscellaneous (8 out of 10 points)
The only thing I really have to discuss in this section are accessories. SkyGolf offers a decent selection of device mounts, but only one case for the SX400. What I really wish they had available was some way for me to attach the device to a cart magnetically. We’ve seen laser rangefinders start to incorporate this feature, and it seems so much easier than a cradle or clip. Any other complaints I might share have already been covered.

Play it or Trade it? (17 out of 20 points)
The SX400 will stay in my bag for the time being. It’s been really helpful while navigating new courses, the yardages provided are accurate, and despite a few shortcomings it offers an impressive set of features. As for a specific recommendation, it all depends. SkyCaddie will offer tremendous value to some more than others and it all boils down to intended use. Do you explore a lot of new courses? Are you torn between a stat-tracking device and an accurate rangefinder? Do you need extra help with course navigation and planning your approach shots? If you answer yes to any of these questions, then you could very well enjoy the SX400 – answer no and the proposition becomes a bit dicey. Prior to my move, I would have never considered anything other than maybe a laser rangefinder, but the SkyCaddie is a perfect fit for me currently.

IMG_1088.jpg.f88ddc262677138bebdeb405f32f28e3.jpg

Conclusion
To summarize my review, I will simply say this. The SkyCaddie SX400 is an excellent portable GPS unit equipped with many features to assist golfers on the course and even before or after their round. I ran into a couple snags along the way, but nothing that can’t be overcome. Whether or not it’s the right product for you will depend on your specific needs and budget. You could get along fine with less expensive GPS options, but they likely won’t offer the same level of accuracy and to that end, the SX400 holds its own against laser technology.

Final Score: (85 out of 100)

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

SkyCaddie SX400 GPS– Official MGS Forum Review by DBDORS

Intro

Basic amateur golfer, I practice once a week, play 9 or 18 once a month, if I can.  I sometimes play more in the summer.  Live and mainly play in the Houston area, but love to play other cities and states (working on playing one course in every state).  So I play a lot of new course and one-off times.

Been playing for 20 years, but only seriously for about 13 years.  I’m about a 12-15 hcp and need all the help I can get on course.

The Golf Questions

Weakness, inconsistency and poor judge of distance.

WITB, Rogue SZ driver, TM M5 fairway, TEE 3/4H, TM M6 irons, Cleveland CBX wedges and Evnroll ER1.2 putter.  Complete bag fitting last spring with exception of hybrids and putter (but putter was re-validated on SAM)

And I am tech savvy, use lots of devices and work with software every day and in IT in the past.  And being an engineer makes me want to look at the numbers!!  Numbers junkie!

I have been using a Garmin G8, Nikon RF and testing Arccos (for shot tracking and score only, not in play distance).  Since I play a lot of new to me courses, I tend to use the GPS for lay of the land and RF for distance to flag.  Don’t spend time with front-back, etc.  My game is not that good, just get on the green.

First Impressions

The unit is great.  The size is not too big and not too small.  The screen has great clarity and sufficient brightness to overcome the brightest day.  As I get older I’m having difficulty seeing small print.  Having the larger clearer screen is a big help.  Compared to the Garmin G8, the screen is much clearer and easier to read.  And the map graphic is much nicer, showing details like trees.    The larger size does cost you a bit of weight, 181g vs 112 of the Garmin, but not much to notice.

image.png.9fe3eac3580da55f495adf99ba4100b8.png

Grading

Overall size of the unit and screen are perfect, not too big in the pocket.

Not had it long enough to judge durability.  But it feels and looks to be quality built and should hold up for a long time.

Skycaddie has been known for quality maps and the graphics on these is excellent

Getting it setup and running was very easy.  I downloaded a number or courses that I play or plan to play.  Are the instructions clear and easy to understand?

The wired sync was confusing initially, and wireless syncing is the easiest to do.  But once figured out, no issues.

Battery life is excellent.  After a full round, there was more than 50% left.  So it could easily play 36 in a day, (my body can’t however, so the Skycaddie beat me on that one).

Also SkyGolf tech support is very good and very responsive.  I have had to pull out a lot of hair dealing with Garmin Tech Support when I came to their software.  But these guys are a pleasure.  There is a practice course that I play, that is 3 holes.  And for some reason the device only sees 2 holes.  After a couple of updates, the issue has not been fixed, but when I ask they are prompt to let me know what the status is.

Again, Skycaddie is known for their map quality.  They are accurate, I made two test and both check out.  IMO a GPS is good for giving you a layout of the land.  Where there’s a hazard, front to back greens, etc.  But not exact distance to the flag.  But this device can give you a good idea of flag distance, assuming you make a good guess of where it is.

In the screens below, these two greens, one has been chopped off at the course.  I moved the flag where I thought it was and used a Nikon Stablized to shot the flag.  It was on the money (again, based on my guess of where it was on the green).  On the second screen, I did not move the flag, but shot the front and back of the green.  This is not easy to do, but still got some accurate distances.

image.png.da2fe3ebbe9a22e8c063147b5ac2d529.png   image.png.0fcda40bc4952bdfa3da48297dc9414a.png       

On-Course (27 out of 30 points)

This is where I struggled a bit.  I’m new to the device and it will take time to learn all the buttons and get used to fast use.  I refuse to allow a device to prevent me from playing ready golf.  I want to have my club be ready to go with it’s my time to swing.  So I’ll need more time to learn the device.

You can do everything you need on the main screen.  No need to change unless you want.

One simple thing that is missing is a hole detail.  I need to look down and see what I need, distances, hazards, and hole par.  3, 4 or 5.  The Garmin’s use simple dots.  But I shouldn’t have to go back to the hole marker or score card to see Par 4 or 5.  You can see it on other screens, but I want it on the main screen for a quick read.  Again, ready golf, not fumbling with a device.

The one thing I have done with the G8 is check distance after a drive, so that I can see how well I am doing, and let the device learn my distances.  This device ball mark but I am still not quite sure how it works.  I can mark the ball, and see the distance after I get to the shot.  But not sure how to record it.  And will is be kept to average to give me my distances per club.  And the manual is not clear.  I don’t know if learns the distances over time.  You can pre-enter the clubs and distances, but do they change as you capture shots?.  This may not matter much as I have been experimenting with Arccos on an Apple watch and may go this route for longer term shot tracking.

image.png.f9d2b6c3468ce630378db3d01e69dd42.png            image.png.e6909ef4d6ecf78aa6fffaf85bf161b7.png          

Miscellaneous (8 out of 10 points)

The issue I have is the shot tracking function.  It’s not clear in the manual and I’m sure I’ll figure it out.  I just don’t know how to capture the shot distance.  There seems to be prevision to capture penalty shots and OOB/Lost ball, but no explanation in the manual.

Play it or Trade it? (19 out of 20 points)

If you play a lot of different courses, like I do, than a GPS can be very helpful.  I can’t remember hazards on courses I play a lot, and on a new course it’s invaluable.  And if you like to keep your scores for later use, the GPS score card makes keeping up with your score very simply (I can’t tell you how many times I have kept detailed score cards and then left it in the cart).  And you can edit the score afterwards and during the round.  And even with the Arccos, I don’t want to use my phone and the Arccos map is not user friendly.  So the GPS will stay.  IMO it’s great for a new golfer learning the game.

The only downside is the annual cost (1 point off score).  This would have bugged me when I first started golf, but truthfully I have wasted 10X the annual cost in a year on golf stuff that I didn’t need or that wouldn’t help me like a GPS does.  And with the cloud storage on SkyGolf 360, better tech support, it’s worth the cost alone.  You can see your scores and performance anytime from anywhere from SkyGolf 360.

Conclusion

If you are considering a GPS, this unit will do the job.  Great graphics, accurate and tons of features.

Final Score: 93/100.  It might move to 99/100 after some time and use.  You have to factor that Garmin does not charge for service so no annual fee.

Woods:  :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max LS 9*,  Ventus Blue 6S / :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+, 15*, MCA Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 X Proto 3H & 4H, Ventus Blue 7S  

Irons: :Takomo: Takomo IRON 101 5-PW, Accra T90i S
Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX ZipCore 48*, Accra T90i, 53* & 58*, Accra T100i S
Putter: :EVNROLL: ER1.2, 355g, :kbs: Tour GPS, 33" w/
image.png.709cedef1b6b981263b7fb0d3abefd71.png Mid Slim 2.0
Bag/Cart: :nike-small: '20 Air Hybrid 2 / :Clicgear: 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2, Swivel kit
Accessories: :Arccos: 360 /  Garmin G80 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized 

Thanks for another great opportunity MGS! I'm excited to dive into this review and explore lots of new courses with the SkyCaddie SX400 GPS!!!

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag

Thanks guys! This is a device I have had my eye on. Super excited to try it out and share!!

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

Can't wait to try it. I don't want a "scope". This seems better for me

Sent from my SM-G970U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Mavrik Max, 9* 
:taylormade-small:Stealth 15* / 18*
:callaway-small: Rogue 4H, 21*
:callaway-small: Steelhead XR 5-AW 
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore 52* / 56*
:odyssey-small: White Hot Versa Seven S , 35"
Many other putters in the bullpen waiting for call

Congratulations guys!
Looking forward to your reviews

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I'm super stoked to give this a try.

:ping-small:  G400 Driver, Alta CB 55 S, Winn Dri-Tac

:ping-small:  G400 3W, Alta CB S Flex 65, Winn Dri-Tac

:ping-small:  G400 19*, Alta CB S Flex 70, Winn Dri-Tac

:ping-small:  G400 4-U Irons, Alta CB S Flex, Winn Dri-Tac

:callaway-small: Smart Sole SW,

:odyssey-small: White Steel 2 Ball SRT Putter - Odyssey Stroke Lab Grip

8 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Golf has often had a—shall we say—tense relationship with its tech and innovation.

[Irony alert: Nike isn't "playing in the now" anymore.]

Be that as it may, there are still extremes with golfers and tech. Some head to the course with enough distance-measuring tech to open a land-surveying company. On the other extreme are those pacing off distances from every available sprinkler head.

It's time to give sprinkler-head guy a heaping of modern tech! Ten MGS Forum members will be reviewing the SkyCaddie SX400 over the next couple of months. They'll give us the lowdown on its features, ease of use, and accuracy.

And they'll let us know if they're ready to give up on the sprinkler heads.

Testing the SkyCaddie SX400 will be:

Congrats to these members, and we're looking forward to reading your reviews!

I don’t remember that Nike commercial but I love it! Haha.

Starting with one of my favorite commercials to grace the airwaves, time to play in the now!  Looking forward in seeing how the Skycaddie performs.

Gameday
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120

Classic Bag

Congrats guys - I'll be looking forward to your reviews!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

On 1/10/2020 at 1:07 PM, sirchunksalot said:

Congratulations guys! This should be a great thread and I'm looking forward to the reviews and discussion.

Sent from my SM-N975U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Love your screen name.  I resemble it.

:ping-small:  G400 Driver, Alta CB 55 S, Winn Dri-Tac

:ping-small:  G400 3W, Alta CB S Flex 65, Winn Dri-Tac

:ping-small:  G400 19*, Alta CB S Flex 70, Winn Dri-Tac

:ping-small:  G400 4-U Irons, Alta CB S Flex, Winn Dri-Tac

:callaway-small: Smart Sole SW,

:odyssey-small: White Steel 2 Ball SRT Putter - Odyssey Stroke Lab Grip

Guys be thinking of questions for us or specific scenarios you would like to be reviewed!

Gameday

Classic Bag

I'd like to see how it works on Compass Pointe Golf course in Maryland.   Bring it on up, Greens Fees and burgers on me 😎

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I’d like to know if there is an annual subscription to use the device and if it has shot tracking. If so do you sync it to sensors or do you have to tag each shot.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

One of my questions -

In an era where everyone has a cell phone, and a lot of golfers have shot tracking devices with GPS capabilities, why would I want to purchase a completely standalone product?

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

One of my questions -
In an era where everyone has a cell phone, and a lot of golfers have shot tracking devices with GPS capabilities, why would I want to purchase a completely standalone product?

Great question - my answer would be I don't need it. I use iGolf GPS app for my phone which gives me everything I need especially since I use it in conjunction with a LRF.

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Thought of another question. Since none of you currently use a measuring device how will you test accuracy of the unit?

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Posted in wrong section

Woods:  :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max LS 9*,  Ventus Blue 6S / :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+, 15*, MCA Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 X Proto 3H & 4H, Ventus Blue 7S  

Irons: :Takomo: Takomo IRON 101 5-PW, Accra T90i S
Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX ZipCore 48*, Accra T90i, 53* & 58*, Accra T100i S
Putter: :EVNROLL: ER1.2, 355g, :kbs: Tour GPS, 33" w/
image.png.709cedef1b6b981263b7fb0d3abefd71.png Mid Slim 2.0
Bag/Cart: :nike-small: '20 Air Hybrid 2 / :Clicgear: 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2, Swivel kit
Accessories: :Arccos: 360 /  Garmin G80 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized