Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

2020 Official Member Review: SKYCADDIE SX400 GPS

GolfSpy MPR

15 hours ago, PCAL said:

You can sync the SX400 to your home wifi.  Anytime you keep score or track your shots, come home and hit sync on the SX400.  It will upload the information to SkyGolf and you can look at the data in SkyGolf360 or download their app to view it on your phone or tablet.  When you sync it will also update the software and golf courses that have been updated by the SkyGolf mappers.  This can also be done via the computer with cable, it is easier and quicker if you can connect to wifi.  

Thanks other than the initial set up. I have not had it back in the house. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

Was wondering if anyone can tell me about how the screen looks? How is the clarity (resolution) compared to say a smartphone? I am considering either the 400 or the 500 (if I choose a GPS) and wanted to know since I can't see one in person anywhere around me. The 500 has a much higher resolution screen which I wanted to see if it mattered or not.

28 minutes ago, AceOD said:

Was wondering if anyone can tell me about how the screen looks? How is the clarity (resolution) compared to say a smartphone? I am considering either the 400 or the 500 (if I choose a GPS) and wanted to know since I can't see one in person anywhere around me. The 500 has a much higher resolution screen which I wanted to see if it mattered or not.

Go back to page 5 and you'll see two different on course photos of the screen.  Is it the clearest screen compared to the newest phones?  No.   Is it better than the first few generations of smartphones?  Absolutely.  I find it to be more than adequate.   Without knowing the specs, I would venture to say the screen would rival midrange phones.  The overall design of the graphics are basic almost vector-like.  I find that makes the information very clear, discernible and scalable without distortion. 

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

2 hours ago, JohnSmalls said:

Go back to page 5 and you'll see two different on course photos of the screen.  Is it the clearest screen compared to the newest phones?  No.   Is it better than the first few generations of smartphones?  Absolutely.  I find it to be more than adequate.   Without knowing the specs, I would venture to say the screen would rival midrange phones.  The overall design of the graphics are basic almost vector-like.  I find that makes the information very clear, discernible and scalable without distortion. 

Make sense... so you can't really tell if the resolution is low or not. The 400 only has a resolution of 540 by 1080, so not high res at all. The 500 is 1920 x 1080 so much higher. That just seems like a large difference for only $100 bucks more. Thanks for clarifying.

25 minutes ago, AceOD said:

Make sense... so you can't really tell if the resolution is low or not. The 400 only has a resolution of 540 by 1080, so not high res at all. The 500 is 1920 x 1080 so much higher. That just seems like a large difference for only $100 bucks more. Thanks for clarifying.

On the side of the SX400 are two buttons to raise or lower the screen brightness, it defaults in the middle.  

2 minutes ago, PCAL said:

On the side of the SX400 are two buttons to raise or lower the screen brightness, it defaults in the middle.  

Not talking about brightness, just actual screen resolution. Like the 400 has a Pixel per inch # of like 300 which is close to second gen iphone. The 500 has a screen with a resolution closer to a midrange smartphone today, around 440. I just don't know how that would look as I haven't seen the device in person. Hopefully that makes sense.

1 hour ago, AceOD said:

Not talking about brightness, just actual screen resolution. Like the 400 has a Pixel per inch # of like 300 which is close to second gen iphone. The 500 has a screen with a resolution closer to a midrange smartphone today, around 440. I just don't know how that would look as I haven't seen the device in person. Hopefully that makes sense.

Where do these numbers come from? They don’t match the spec sheet. 

1 hour ago, Digforged said:

Then wouldn’t the sx500 exceed the iPhone 11 for screen resolution? Or am I still missing the point?

I get that with the 500, but this thread is about the 400.... really looking for feedback on that considering how bad the screen is spec wise. 

2 hours ago, AceOD said:

I get that with the 500, but this thread is about the 400.... really looking for feedback on that considering how bad the screen is spec wise. 

It's easy to get caught up in resolution, ppi, and display technologies. Ultimately, it all boils down to usage.

In this case, the SX400 is more than adequate for its intended purpose. Part of the reason for the higher resolution on the SX500 (I suspect) is because it has the ability to take and display images and video (I think) taken on the course. As @JohnSmalls stated above, the graphics used for displaying the hole and providing distances are likely vector images otherwise they'd have serious trouble with scaling across numerous devices and have to duplicate efforts.

To summarize, the screen looks great and is not something I'd be concerned with whatsoever. Unless taking pictures and videos on the course - sans smartphone - is important to you, save the extra $$$ and get the SX400. The size of the device is much more practical as well IMO.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

So I've attempted to use shot tracking on a couple rounds now, but have struggled with missed shots (because I didn't tag them). Anyone figure out how to add shots?

I did at least figure out how to delete shots after the device auto-advanced to the next hole before I was done.

14 hours ago, TR1PTIK said:

So I've attempted to use shot tracking on a couple rounds now, but have struggled with missed shots (because I didn't tag them). Anyone figure out how to add shots?

I did at least figure out how to delete shots after the device auto-advanced to the next hole before I was done.

When you finish the round connect the SX400 to your home wifi and hit sync.  This will upload your scoring and shot tracking data to SkyGolf360.  To access SkyGolf360 you can download the app on your phone or go to www.skygolf.com.  In the app, log in and on the home page is your most recent rounds.  Click on the round and it will take you to your scorecard page.  On the hole image click on edit/zoom, it expands the hole with tracked shots, then hold down your finger in the spot you missed to capture.  It will pull up a grid of clubs and select the club you used, proceed to the next hole and repeat.  Using your computer, go to www.skygolf.com, log in and click on my360profile at the top next to your name.  Same as the app, it shows your recent rounds, click on the round to edit.  Same process except you use your mouse to add shots missed.  

If you have time on the golf course, the same screen you learned to delete a shot, you can add one.  Hold down your finger in the spot you missed to capture and add the shot.

12 hours ago, AceOD said:

Bought the sx400, opened it up today and the screen protector provided was dirty and not aligned... can’t make it work. Any idea how to get another one?

The "screen protector" you're referring to is only meant to reduce the likelihood of damage during shipping and handling so you're unlikely to get another one from Sky Caddie. You can typically find similar films in the electronics department at Walmart that are cut-to-fit. It won't help you too much if you drop the device on concrete or asphalt (depending on how it lands), but it will save the screen from light scuffs and abrasions from being in your pocket or golf bag. For reference though, I peeled that thing off as soon as I got the SX400 and have had zero issues.

EDIT: Just for good measure, I checked the Sky Golf store and see that they do have some sort of screen protector on the horizon, but no idea if it will be any better than what I just mentioned. I'd recommend checking this link periodically for any updates: https://shop.skygolf.com/c-61-lens-covers.aspx

Played earlier today and compared the SX400 against Arccos, 18 Birdies, and SkyDroid for a few holes. Honestly, all were within 1-2 yards of each other to the center of the green. The SX400 is a little more friendly thanks to their hole maps vs. the other apps which rely on satellite imagery. It makes it much easier to distinguish between the various types of grass when hitting to the fairway or green. I'd like to share a bit more about the comparison, but I'm going to save it for my official review which will be dropping soon.

Finally got out again this weekend. As some of the others have said, it is very easy to use. 

I played a course I play alot that has multiple blind shots. My friends who have lasers have a tough time on this course because of the limited line of sight. My buddy used his laser and I used the Sky Caddie.  Fun comparisons. Obviously, from the middle of the fairway with a clear view of the flag, both had similar readings. Where it got fun was from the rough (or trees) behind mounds/hills. The Sky Caddie showed good line and target while my buddy had to walk to the top of the hill to get clear line of sight. Hopefully the pics I'm attaching show this. I will try to pair up the SkyCaddie screen with the actual look

The stats and scorecard are very easy to use. Very easy to input

1823222898_SkyCaddieLB5.jpg.7aaf99d9ac141ac7d695a5e09419194d.jpgLB5.jpg.dd1b362b44b77b141e3370b0cbe8e055.jpg2026909509_SkyCaddieLB13.jpg.f07c95b30d528bef85d7c78a7420208d.jpgLB13.jpg.ab990445ce60fa64096f63a6be3b407a.jpg

:callaway-small: Mavrik Max, 9* 
:taylormade-small:Stealth 15* / 18*
:callaway-small: Rogue 4H, 21*
:callaway-small: Steelhead XR 5-AW 
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore 52* / 56*
:odyssey-small: White Hot Versa Seven S , 35"
Many other putters in the bullpen waiting for call

deleted duplicate post

Edited by gregh729
double post

another one. 

Edited by gregh729
dup

Spent this past weekend playing 27 holes without the Skycaddie.  The first 18 were on a course that I have never played with a lot of blind shots and strategically placed trouble in which I took many "vacations".  The last 9 were on my home track.  Even playing on a familiar course walking off distances, I still found myself in a bit of trouble without having the Skycaddie.  We are coming down to the final stretch, are there any scenarios or questions that you guys have that we haven't covered?

Gameday
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120

Classic Bag

Played today in the worse conditions yet. The temps were in the low 40s but the wind was howling. The SkyCaddie proved once again to be a capable partner. I velcroed it to my cart which means a quick glance down was all I needed to confirm distance and club selection. My biggest gripe is really more self inflected than a design flaw. When I’m not deliberate when returning the S.C. to its perch or if I’m lazy and slip it in my pocket the extreme sensitivity of the screen tends to result in a little jumping around from my inadvertent bumping.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

Played today using only the SX400 and it went really well. This is the first time I used the SkyCaddie as my sole DMD and it really helped me navigate a course I've only played once before on a fairly windy day. Very pleased with its performance.

Spent this past weekend playing 27 holes without the Skycaddie.  The first 18 were on a course that I have never played with a lot of blind shots and strategically placed trouble in which I took many "vacations".  The last 9 were on my home track.  Even playing on a familiar course walking off distances, I still found myself in a bit of trouble without having the Skycaddie.  We are coming down to the final stretch, are there any scenarios or questions that you guys have that we haven't covered?

I agree with you. I’m certainly surprised at how much I’ve enjoyed using this device. While it cannot execute a shot it certainly gives one the confidence to just swing away.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

Posted final review to first page place holder. 

I will say I love this device and I am also a big fan of the experience as a whole. range finding, score keeping, stat tracking. I truly believe that if I am diligent at keeping track this will benefit my whole game. 

*EDIT* Here is a link to the review. 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/36185-2020-official-member-review-skycaddie-sx400-gps/?do=findComment&comment=591718

Edited by Quigleyd

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

My review is up! Hope you guys enjoy. Feel free to ask more questions!

I'll be the first to admit I was pretty skeptical about the value of a device like this. But the reviews definitely have me intrigued. It wouldn't be something I'd purchased right now, but if I get to a point where I'm comfortable with my clubs and game, I could see this being very valuable.

I played a new-to-me course last weekend and having the scorecard, GPS, and hole overview in one spot would have been a big help. Between a paper scorecard, Grint for a digital scorecard, ShotScope for GPS and a traditional laser, it's almost too much to handle when playing a new course. 

Now, playing at a course I know very well? I can see where this wouldn't be as helpful.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

1 hour ago, edingc said:

I'll be the first to admit I was pretty skeptical about the value of a device like this. But the reviews definitely have me intrigued. It wouldn't be something I'd purchased right now, but if I get to a point where I'm comfortable with my clubs and game, I could see this being very valuable.

I played a new-to-me course last weekend and having the scorecard, GPS, and hole overview in one spot would have been a big help. Between a paper scorecard, Grint for a digital scorecard, ShotScope for GPS and a traditional laser, it's almost too much to handle when playing a new course. 

Now, playing at a course I know very well? I can see where this wouldn't be as helpful.

I am finding that I enjoy and like the stat keeping and game tracking features as much if not more than the range finding and distance determining features. 

My final is posted as well, but as I use and learn more, I will post more; 

Woods:  :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max LS 9*,  Ventus Blue 6S / :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+, 15*, MCA Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 X Proto 3H & 4H, Ventus Blue 7S  

Irons: :Takomo: Takomo IRON 101 5-PW, Accra T90i S
Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX ZipCore 48*, Accra T90i, 53* & 58*, Accra T100i S
Putter: :EVNROLL: ER1.2, 355g, :kbs: Tour GPS, 33" w/
image.png.709cedef1b6b981263b7fb0d3abefd71.png Mid Slim 2.0
Bag/Cart: :nike-small: '20 Air Hybrid 2 / :Clicgear: 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2, Swivel kit
Accessories: :Arccos: 360 /  Garmin G80 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized 

Tower, this is Ghost Rider requesting a fly-by.   The review is up!  Photos will be added in the next couple of days.

Gameday

Classic Bag

My review can be seen here.   

Hope you find it useful and a big shoutout to MGS and SkyGolf for allowing me the opportunity to review this product.  Feel free to shoot me any questions about the gear or my review.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug