Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

2020 Official Member Review: SKYCADDIE SX400 GPS

GolfSpy MPR

36 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

Thought of another question. Since none of you currently use a measuring device how will you test accuracy of the unit?

Mine is supposed come tomorrow. Just in time for the snow on Saturday.  Hopeful to get out soon. Maybe head over to where Golfspy_CG2 hangs out to try it out as well
Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I am going to borrow a friends scope and also go to my home course which has gps in it's carts to compare. I am not a big fan of scopes (eyes have problems with them). 

:callaway-small: Mavrik Max, 9* 
:taylormade-small:Stealth 15* / 18*
:callaway-small: Rogue 4H, 21*
:callaway-small: Steelhead XR 5-AW 
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore 52* / 56*
:odyssey-small: White Hot Versa Seven S , 35"
Many other putters in the bullpen waiting for call

1 hour ago, Wedgie said:

I’d like to know if there is an annual subscription to use the device and if it has shot tracking. If so do you sync it to sensors or do you have to tag each shot.

Just received the SX400 today, got it setup, and played around with it in demo mode. I won't say anything about initial impressions, but I can at least answer your questions.

Yes, there is a subscription required and there are multiple options to bundle the subscription or you can purchase the device by itself (for current subscribers simply making an upgrade).

Yes, the SX400 does provide shot tracking, but you have to tag each shot. Based on what I've seen so far (again just playing with demo mode), it doesn't look like tracked shots will be stored like they would with Arccos, ShotScope, or any number of phone apps. I'll be sure to update if I discover otherwise once I get this out on the course.

27 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

Since none of you currently use a measuring device how will you test accuracy of the unit?

I do have a laser rangefinder available to me via friend so I can test accuracy, but I think the better comparison will be to download a small handful of phone apps and run them side-by-side. I've used a number of different apps in the past and always found them to be clunky. I'll be interested in finding out if my experience with the SX400 is any better.

1 hour ago, edingc said:

In an era where everyone has a cell phone, and a lot of golfers have shot tracking devices with GPS capabilities, why would I want to purchase a completely standalone product?

I am extremely interested in doing everything I can to answer this question. There are a lot of options available when looking to spend $300.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

Just a quick teaser for you guys. Here's everything that came in today:

D986E3FB-E099-418F-9966-F99083D26C67.thumb.JPEG.05b593eb92c75d18a2311708d034ab63.JPEG

1 hour ago, TR1PTIK said:

Just a quick teaser for you guys. Here's everything that came in today:

I only looked in my box for about 10 seconds (had an obligation to attend to) but I saw a belt clip too.

:ping-small:  G400 Driver, Alta CB 55 S, Winn Dri-Tac

:ping-small:  G400 3W, Alta CB S Flex 65, Winn Dri-Tac

:ping-small:  G400 19*, Alta CB S Flex 70, Winn Dri-Tac

:ping-small:  G400 4-U Irons, Alta CB S Flex, Winn Dri-Tac

:callaway-small: Smart Sole SW,

:odyssey-small: White Steel 2 Ball SRT Putter - Odyssey Stroke Lab Grip

10 hours ago, gobama84 said:

I only looked in my box for about 10 seconds (had an obligation to attend to) but I saw a belt clip too.

Yeah that’s on the far right. Not sure if I’ll actually use it or not, but it is a nice inclusion. I’m curious to look on their website and see if there’s an additional cost for that or if it would be included with any purchase.

EDIT:

I'll be including this in my final review as well, but just to give everyone a heads up that may be looking... I dug around the SkyGolf website and learned that the belt clip is sold separately ($29.95 - https://shop.skygolf.com/p-2536-sx400-black-silicone-skin-w-beltclip.aspx). It's a nice addition for us reviewers, but if you're looking to make a purchase the only items included with the SX400 are the USB-C charging cable and wall charger. I would also like to add a quick note about how awesome I think it is for them to include an actual wall charger. I've purchased several electronics over the past year or two that only include a cable requiring the end user to provide something to actually plug it into.

13 hours ago, edingc said:

One of my questions -

In an era where everyone has a cell phone, and a lot of golfers have shot tracking devices with GPS capabilities, why would I want to purchase a completely standalone product?

While I have yet to receive mine. I have tried a number of the golf GPS apps and found them all wanting. They drain your battery, the screen is hard to see in the day light, They tend to lag and be glichy and crash all the time due to the amount of data required and if your in a spot where service is spotty or none existent they don't work at all. Of all the apps that I have tried,  golflogix was the best and head the best features, but even that was not as accurate as I would hoped.

Looking at the features online for skycaddie there are a few things I am excited for. An easy to see and read screen, the ability to plug in your club distances to get recommendations, plus, I like the idea of the skycaddie course maps having been ground verified for yardages. I like that it is a stand alone unit so I do not have to rely on my phone. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

13 hours ago, Wedgie said:

I’d like to know if there is an annual subscription to use the device and if it has shot tracking. If so do you sync it to sensors or do you have to tag each shot.

There is an annual subscription that boils down to 3 annual plans.  Statewide ($30), countrywide ($50), or worldwide access ($60), with incentives for buying multiyear subscriptions.  Since I live on the border of two states and I play golf in both, I would lean towards the countrywide subscription.  Skycaddie was very generous to provide us with a worldwide subscription for this test.  If you guys know some people who know some people, I will be HAPPY to test out the traveling option in other countries. 

SkyGolf (parent company) claims on the website that this device will track stats, I haven't dug in to figure out how detailed or the nature of the stat collection.  I will find out and report on that during this review.

13 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I'd like to see how it works on Compass Pointe Golf course in Maryland.   Bring it on up, Greens Fees and burgers on me 😎

If only Maryland were a little closer the Carolinas....if I ship my Skycaddie to you, will you send it back with a burger?

13 hours ago, edingc said:

One of my questions -

Well the Skycaddie doesn't accept phone calls nor text messages, so that's a start?   I think that by the end of this test the accuracy and ease of use will be key.  I have used a number of phone apps, especially when I started swinging the sticks 4 years ago, and I gravitated away from using phone apps.

12 hours ago, Wedgie said:

Thought of another question. Since none of you currently use a measuring device how will you test accuracy of the unit?

I am planning on having a direct head-to-head using what the course gives us.  Physical markers, sprinkler heads, scorecard measurements etc. While doing that I will take note of the markers, as well as scorecard measurements to judge for accuracy.  If I can get the okay--I've got an additional plan to judge for accuracy.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

I received mine yesterday. I’m going to be a bit redundant, but it is a critical point.

I caddie/coach/play and fit. My exposure to technology in Golf has brought me to a cynical beginning perspective. There was a time when I thought Trackman was the greatest thing since Titleist introduced the Professional. Nowadays I’m much more “it’s going to have to make the game better/faster on a $1=$1 basis”. In other words, I would spend my hard earned money with Arccos, I am impressed with Mizuno’s shaft optimizer, and I would invest in the company that is going to bring non-conforming equipment to the general golfer I meet that swings it 80 mph. 

I’m testing this against the whole arsenal. Bushnell, the best app’s on my iPhone, and Strackaline pin sheets in addition to yardages that are on sprinkler heads. It’s going to have to do a whole lot for me to say “go spend $300 and buy a yearly membership”.

On 1/15/2020 at 9:21 PM, Wedgie said:

There are a number of ways to test accuracy.   Playing on a familiar golf course helps.   I walk and my gate and pace count is usually dead on the money.    

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

On 1/15/2020 at 8:26 PM, edingc said:

One of my questions -

Why do you need Nike when Foot joy sells golf shoes too?   The answer is one size doesn’t fit all.   What I hope to provide is a comprehensive review that will help the reader make an informed decision.    An example of why the SC over my smart phone app is graphic display and durability.    I use 3.0 reading glasses.   I cannot read my smart phone without them.   As a matter of fact I can’t read a Laser without them either.   I used the SC yesterday and found the screen to be very clear without my glasses.   I hate taking them on and off during a round of Golf so for me the SC is a much better fit.   The durability of the S.C. far exceeds that of any smart phone.   A new iPhone 11 costs about a grand so exposing it to the elements is not the smartest move in the world.  

Edited by SteddyGolf

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

When MGS asked for volunteers to test the SC I jumped on it because I’ve always been a pace count type of guy. I felt it would truly be an unbiased test from my perspective.

Yesterday I opened the box and immediately headed out to play nine. I didn’t read the instructions or watch the manufacturers video. I just hit the on button and away I went. I was surprised at the ease of use and how clear the screen was even in direct sunshine. I especially enjoyed how quickly distances updated.

Obviously the full review will be much more detailed but out the gate it impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

On 1/16/2020 at 10:21 AM, JohnSmalls said:

If only Maryland were a little closer the Carolinas....if I ship my Skycaddie to you, will you send it back with a burger?

Well, you might have to just take a chance and see. Although, I'm not sure how well a Five Guys--my burger of choice--will travel via UPS.   So one of us will need to make a road trip 🙂

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Got my first round with the SX400 booked for Monday. Wish I could get out sooner, but the weather isn’t cooperating.

I’ll be playing a course that’s brand new to me so should be a good test to see if I can avoid trouble.

Got the Skycaddie out for a quick 9 hole test today. Spoiler, it’s easy to use and accurate. 

Gameday
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120

Classic Bag

Well, I was starting to get nervous as all the other testers were reporting theirs arriving and I had not heard a peep. But!! I got home today and there was a surprise. So obviously this is just first impressions. First off thank you sky caddie. 

First impression. It is smaller than I had pictured in my mind. That is not a bad thing, it is the perfect size. Slightly smaller than my cell phone (iPhone XR). It looks like it will fit perfectly in any type of bag pocket. 

It feels very very sturdy with a nice weight to it. The screen is super sharp and clear. I am super impressed by the screen and I am looking forward to seeing how it looks outside. 

As it is touch screen there is a nice haptic buzz in response to selections being made so you know your selection is being processed. You do not have to mash the screen to get it to work, but you do need to be assertive with you touch. 

Setup: of course I had to set it up instantly. This unit has WiFi connectivity and was a breeze to register, create an account, activate, and punch in the code for the year subscription they gave us. I did this all in about 10 min for the unit itself while helping my wife clean the kitchen. 

There are some features such as the “my bag” section where you can set up the clubs In your and yardages for each that it appears at the moment you need to go online to set up. I could be wrong though. 

I am looking forward to as soon as the weather cooperates to getting it outside. I will for sure post some more info then!

3854796F-ACFA-46ED-A8D9-431E1CCC9F2C.jpeg

1ADBA6B3-146E-426D-A592-AB846CB398F9.jpeg

53B22462-1E75-4B53-871E-634A57B5126F.jpeg

Edited by Quigleyd

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

Well, guess I'll be the last one to receive my unit.  Scheduled delivery is Monday, but I'll be out of town until Wednesday.  That's okay.  I'll still have plenty of time to evaluate it and report back.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Just finished my first round with the SX400. I was playing with one of my wife's co-workers for the first time and didn't focus too much on testing so I could get to know him. However, we both used it and in comparison to the other devices we had on hand, it performed very well. My primary interest in a device like this is being able to see the entire hole and properly navigate it. The SX400 was extremely helpful in this regard. The next several weeks/weekends are going to be a bit abnormal schedule-wise so I'm not exactly sure when I'll get out next, but I plan to go alone when I do so I can spend more time with the device. 

I have a decent stretch of weather the next few days. I am thinking I will get out tomorrow or Thursday. 

Committed to this review I headed out into the chilly weather.    38 degrees and howling wind I struggled to finish 9 holes before succumbing to my frozen “whimp” glands.    A note for the cold weather golfers in the forum.......... The SkyCaddy’s screen will not respond to the touch of a gloved hand.    I wish my playing partners were Siri and Alexa 🥶

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

Further to the "why not use a phone?" questions - I'd love to see some of you guys download phone apps and compare your findings.  I personally have had accuracy issues with apps, especially on my Moto G7 (which I love otherwise).

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

7 minutes ago, HardcoreLooper said:

Further to the "why not use a phone?" questions - I'd love to see some of you guys download phone apps and compare your findings.  I personally have had accuracy issues with apps, especially on my Moto G7 (which I love otherwise).

I have the Golflogix app on my phone as well as the grint I will compare them soon hopefully.

right now.

image.gif

Way to earlier in the testing to really provide you objective feedback but I will tell you the three reason right out the gate for the SC over phone app are:

1. It syncs much faster than a phone app given you a good distance reading as soon as you arrive to your ball.

2. The graphics are much easier to read especially in direct sunlight.

3. It’s much more durable than any phone out there. Phone insurance is a must for me because I’m all boy. The SC is built like a tank.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

My Sky Caddie SX 400 arrived and I had no problem registering, syncing it, and updating the courses I play most frequently.

Its all charged and ready for my fairways to dry out a bit here in Northern California.

I attached it to the top of my bag via the belt clip and will report back on how easy it is to see from the bag, versus picking up and putting it down for every shot.  I think the “large number” setting could be a good application for when I just want to leave it hooked onto the bag and look down to get a number.  Obviously won’t be as accurate as holding it and selecting a tiny target and getting the number.

Going to have fun trying this out in different ways.

The main questions I want to answer are:

1)Does this help me shoot a lower number?

2)Does this help me have more fun?

Will report back after my first round, soon!

Edited by Will_the_thrill

14 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

Your wish will be granted.  Stay tuned.

Gameday

Classic Bag

Tested this product for the first time yesterday.

I think the following is important: it was between 39-42*, it was either a pitter patter rain or mist the entire time, and the wind was gusting. 

I cant count the amount of times that the device was stuck on a screen that was not working. I had it clipped to my pocket, and by the 15’th hole, it had toggled between scorecard, resume round, had me on the wrong hole, was displaying the wrong number- I put it away. I had my bushnell with me as well, and given the importance of having a number to the pin, e.g., I know that it’s better than nothing to have front and middle numbers that the Skycaddie accurately gave when it was cooperating, but when a green is 70 yards deep, or 60 yards wide, I need the number to the pin, so I relied on my Bushnell.

My initial impression is that the user interface requires too much effort in soggy conditions, and there isn’t a calibration on the device. In other words, the device acted as though I was touching it all the time and I would have to stop what I was doing, back out of the current displayed information and, I feel like in this day and age of touchscreen devices, a level of calibration to touch is needed for this product to work. 

In my initial test, I was very frustrated. 

Im going to assume some level of responsibility for the debacle, and go back at it again and again. It’s important to note that I was caddying a course I’ve looped+played > 100 times in the last four months. I’d like to think that the misty conditions were what really made this difficult, but I had no problems checking my email while I was walking to the turn.

Round two coming up Manana~

On 1/23/2020 at 1:19 PM, TxRedMan said:

My initial impression is that the user interface requires too much effort in soggy conditions, and there isn’t a calibration on the device. In other words, the device acted as though I was touching it all the time and I would have to stop what I was doing, back out of the current displayed information and, I feel like in this day and age of touchscreen devices, a level of calibration to touch is needed for this product to work. 

That's really surprising/disappointing.  I had an older SkyCaddie (the 2.5, I think) that I bought used and used for about four years before it finally gave up the ghost.  No touchscreen, though.  All buttons.  

Is this screen capacitive or resistive?  Do they even make resistive screens anymore?

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Tested this product for the first time yesterday.

I think the following is important: it was between 39-42*, it was either a pitter patter rain or mist the entire time, and the wind was gusting. 
I cant count the amount of times that the device was stuck on a screen that was not working. I had it clipped to my pocket, and by the 15’th hole, it had toggled between scorecard, resume round, had me on the wrong hole, was displaying the wrong number- I put it away. I had my bushnell with me as well, and given the importance of having a number to the pin, e.g., I know that it’s better than nothing to have front and middle numbers that the Skycaddie accurately gave when it was cooperating, but when a green is 70 yards deep, or 60 yards wide, I need the number to the pin, so I relied on my Bushnell.

In my initial test, I was very frustrated. 

Im going to assume some level of responsibility for the debacle, and go back at it again and again. It’s important to note that I was caddying a course I’ve looped+played > 100 times in the last four months. I’d like to think that the misty conditions were what really made this difficult, but I had no problems checking my email while I was walking to the turn.

Round two coming up Manana~

I agree with your assessment. Just one thing to add....... I ‘ve experienced the same behavior in dry conditions as well.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

21 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

Is this screen capacitive or resistive?  Do they even make resistive screens anymore?

I haven’t seen any information about this, but based on a Google search about the two technologies I’d argue that it’s probably resistive. The touch feedback motor seems pretty low grade too. Reminds me of much older touch screen phones. It’s not like it’s unusable, but going between a modern smartphone and the SkyCaddie presents a fairly stark contrast. Keeping in mind the price point and technological focus of this device, I’m not surprised. Better for them to focus on accuracy and usability.

25 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

I haven’t seen any information about this, but based on a Google search about the two technologies I’d argue that it’s probably resistive. The touch feedback motor seems pretty low grade too. Reminds me of much older touch screen phones. It’s not like it’s unusable, but going between a modern smartphone and the SkyCaddie presents a fairly stark contrast. Keeping in mind the price point and technological focus of this device, I’m not surprised. Better for them to focus on accuracy and usability.

Positives and negatives to resistive.  It should be more rugged, and you can use it with your gloved hand.  But I haven't touched a resistive screen in 10 years or so.  I just wonder if they're advancing the technology at all these days.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

28 minutes ago, HardcoreLooper said:

Positives and negatives to resistive.  It should be more rugged, and you can use it with your gloved hand.  But I haven't touched a resistive screen in 10 years or so.  I just wonder if they're advancing the technology at all these days.

Yeah, and it makes perfect sense from a durability viewpoint. I just can’t quite recall the last time I messed with a screen that felt like this. Probably about 10 years like you.