2020 Official Member Review: SKYCADDIE SX400 GPS

Our Sponsors

Took it out for its first run yesterday. Played a local course that I've played hundreds of times. i put in the tray of my push cart for easy access.

Simple to use. I kept it simple yesterday. Very quick to get yardages to greens and random spots on the course. I didn't try to do too much with it since I was freezing my butt off. I searched through the course listing and noticed it has driving ranges. I am going to try at the range today. I want to see what it shows verses the sign posts

• Like 2

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 9*
:callaway-small: GBB Epic 15* / 18*
:callaway-small: Rogue 4H, 21*
:callaway-small: Steelhead XR 5-AW / :ping-small: G410 5-UW
:titelist-small: SM8 52* / 56*
:scotty-cameron-1: Newport 2 Select, 35"
Many other putters in the bullpen waiting for call

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Golf has often had a—shall we say—tense relationship with its tech and innovation. [Irony alert: Nike isn't "playing in the now" anymore.] Be that as it may, there are still extrem

The Review 03/06/2020 SkyCaddie SX400 – Official MGS Forum Review by TR1PTIK Intro As always, I’d like to first thank MGS and SkyGolf for this amazing opportunity!   I’ve been pl

For clarity:  my dad is not a golfer, but he is a hiker--so post church lunch he likes to join me for a walk out on the golf course.  Although I wish he was a golfer (he played many moons ago), it is

Posted Images

I'll write more tonight or tomorrow when I have more time

Short response is that I like it!

• Like 1

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 9*
:callaway-small: GBB Epic 15* / 18*
:callaway-small: Rogue 4H, 21*
:callaway-small: Steelhead XR 5-AW / :ping-small: G410 5-UW
:titelist-small: SM8 52* / 56*
:scotty-cameron-1: Newport 2 Select, 35"
Many other putters in the bullpen waiting for call

I have wanted to create yardage books (like the pros) for a long time. With this you do not need that. I also am finding I really like the sky360 web page. You can build up your bag, put in the distances of you clubs so that you can reference them as you play. I am going later this week to a simulator session to try and find out exactly what my numbers are. I put them in as a bit of a guess. With the right numbers and knowing distances. I cant think how that would not be helpful. 

• Like 1

Driver: SIM 9 Motore X F1 7X tipped 1 inch

Utility Iron: Cobra King Utility irons 18 degree Aldila rogue 90 X

Irons: Cobra King forged CB 4-PW KBS $ Taper 130 X

Wedges: Cleveland 49,52.58.64

Putter: Kronos Release.

When you use the SkyCaddie and sync it with the Sky Golf website you get some pretty cool statistics and graphics. It does require data entry which is very easy to accomplish on the fly during a round. However, if you would rather upload your statistics later via sky golf.com that is an option as well.

IMG_0226.JPG

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 4
7 hours ago, gregh729 said:

I searched through the course listing and noticed it has driving ranges. I am going to try at the range today. I want to see what it shows verses the sign posts

I’ve played around with and used the driving range function at one of the courses near me. It simply provided a list of distances to each target and was very accurate. It’s extremely helpful for grass ranges where they are constantly moving the hitting area. I didn’t check to see if there was any kind of map to look at and pick out additional targets. I’m playing Saturday and will have the opportunity to experiment a bit more.

• Like 1

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hyrbrid: Mizuno CLK 19* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo (4-PW) Dynamic Gold Pro S300
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 50*, 54*, & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura 6m 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

6 hours ago, SteddyGolf said:

When you use the SkyCaddie and sync it with the Sky Golf website you get some pretty cool statistics and graphics. It does require data entry which is very easy to accomplish on the fly during a round. However, if you would rather upload your statistics later via sky golf.com that is an option as well.

IMG_0226.JPG

This is something I have been trying to figure out how to do. I think it seems really cool

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JDHolmes said:

Quick question. Are you able to track each shot for distance? I.e. before shot select club, hit track button, hit shot, walk to ball, stop track. And does it save this information?

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

yes

• Like 2

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree Alta CB55 Stiff shaft 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: M6 --- 3 (19 degrees), 4 (22 degrees), and 5 (25 degrees) Atmos shaft R

Irons: :callaway-small:Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBS Tour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX-2 52*, 56*, 60* wedges.  Stock shafts.

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

On 1/30/2020 at 5:36 AM, JDHolmes said:

Quick question. Are you able to track each shot for distance? I.e. before shot select club, hit track button, hit shot, walk to ball, stop track. And does it save this information?

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Yes you can. I tried it once. You have to select an option to track, stand where you are starting the tracking from, hit the shot. Then go to your ball and select end tracking. it was pretty simple. It is  an option right there on the main screen with the hole map.

• Like 2

No golf tomorrow, different kind of range day planned 😎. But golf is a go on Sunday after church.  What is something you guys would like to see tested Sunday??

• Like 1

2020 MGS Hard Rock Challenge

SkyCaddie SX400
OGIO Silencer:  Followed by Arccos
:cobra-small: F9 TL, Atmos TS Blue 
:nike-small: Vapor Fly 3, Diamana Blue, Covert 2.0 3H, Kuro Kage Black
:wilson-small:
Wilson D7 Irons 4-GW,  Dynamic Gold AMT
:ping-small: Glide  52, 56 ES
:EVNROLL: ER2
:titelist-small: -ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

No golf tomorrow, different kind of range day planned . But golf is a go on Sunday after church.  What is something you guys would like to see tested Sunday??

For me at least the comparison to a current phone app would be ideal, particularly image overview of the hole between the two and any differences on distances. If you do the comparison please let us the the app and phone you were using.

• Like 4

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

:cobra-small: F Max 5 wood

:ping-small:  9 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*
:wilson-small: C300 4i-GP
:cleveland-small:  Wedges RTX 3.0: 52*, 56*
:ping-small: EYE 2 Wedge 60*

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain:

:SuperSpeed: Official Tester 2020   Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

27 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

For me at least the comparison to a current phone app would be ideal, particularly image overview of the hole between the two and any differences on distances. If you do the comparison please let us the the app and phone you were using.

👍 I’ll see what I can scrap together.  

• Like 1

SkyCaddie SX400

Finally put in a 2nd round with the SX400. I decided this go around to try and only use the SkyCaddie to get more familiar with some of the features. Still more testing to do, but overall pleased with what I got out of the device today.

Also, wanted to post a quick pic from the driving range. For courses where the option is available, it’s very useful and accurate (assuming the course hasn’t recently renovated their driving range like this one did).

F7C20742-C4EB-4D54-979D-55BCADD4B216.thumb.jpeg.83f65c0d51228956395d9dc450cebb82.jpeg

• Like 3

On 1/31/2020 at 5:57 PM, tony@CIC said:

I plan on doing a deeper comparison of this. Hopefully this coming week.

• Like 1

The device vibrates when turned off. I see both a speaker and mic on the bottom of device. Anyone know what these are used for. Mine has not made a peep

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Another quick update from yesterday's round. I didn't do well using the SX400 to track all of my shots, but I did get a nice comparison between it and Arccos on hole #2. 

As far as shot tracking, the two provided very similar results (the discrepancy of the last shot is due to the pin placement not being set). While not quite as seamless as Arccos in operation, the SX400 may be an option to consider if in the market for a shot tracking device. With Arccos going to a $99/yr subscription model for all products this year, the SkyCaddie - though higher in initial cost - would be less expensive in the long term. I've also downloaded the 18 Birdies and SkyDroid apps to compare as well.

IMG_0841.thumb.jpg.aa8f2ee0870a1fd6981fc3a68d105f8e.jpg

1959714617_ScreenShot2020-02-02at12_20_53PM.thumb.png.57bc21ae173e92870e4331da503e3240.png

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

Another quick update from yesterday's round. I didn't do well using the SX400 to track all of my shots, but I did get a nice comparison between it and Arccos on hole #2. 

As far as shot tracking, the two provided very similar results (the discrepancy of the last shot is due to the pin placement not being set). While not quite as seamless as Arccos in operation, the SX400 may be an option to consider if in the market for a shot tracking device. With Arccos going to a $99/yr subscription model for all products this year, the SkyCaddie - though higher in initial cost - would be less expensive in the long term. I've also downloaded the 18 Birdies and SkyDroid apps to compare as well.

IMG_0841.thumb.jpg.aa8f2ee0870a1fd6981fc3a68d105f8e.jpg

1959714617_ScreenShot2020-02-02at12_20_53PM.thumb.png.57bc21ae173e92870e4331da503e3240.png

That's a pretty good comparison.  And very little difference, which is nice. 

I have a SX500 arriving next week.  I'm looking forward to getting out with it. 

• Like 3

:titelist-small: TS1 Fubuki 45g R Flex

:ping-small:  G410 FW 5, 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:scotty-small:  Phantom 5.5   35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

61EC2945-8D66-46DD-BE70-FB0ECDAE9E0F.thumb.jpeg.1dc882591b2ec899b7fc70dc77387adb.jpeg

3FCECD2A-A7A2-461A-A702-1C191E0CEAED.thumb.png.6d183a34941710f18a7e7837cbe15a8b.png

Here is a quick look at Skycaddie verses Arccos. We were in a rush so this is as good as I could get today.  The white numbers for Arccos are the actual yardages. From this point they were dead on. I noticed a time or two when they weren’t exactly the same. Will do more testing on this in the future. 

• Like 2

SkyCaddie SX400

Played a sixth different course today with the SkyCaddie.  I’ve played the course a time before but not super familiar with it.  On unfamiliar courses the SkyCaddie is a mix of Bagger Vance and Jonny 5 from “Short Circuit”.

I have found the distances to be accurate and that has helped me focus on visualizing the shot shape instead of guessing yardage and looking for landmarks.

Navigating the device remains a bit clunky but what matters is the numbers are right on the money.  This has helped me dial in what clubs go how far and when to hit what club.

More to come with more testing...I will be using this in a tournament next week.

921B433D-C733-4FBC-AC91-6EAD953B133D.jpeg

• Like 6
On 2/2/2020 at 3:21 PM, JohnSmalls said:

The white numbers for Arccos are the actual yardages. From this point they were dead on. I noticed a time or two when they weren’t exactly the same. Will do more testing on this in the future. 

@JohnSmalls - What kind of phone are you running Arccos on?

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
2 Iron - :mizuno-small: FliHi (18*) - Recoil 760 ( S )
4i - GW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
SW - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Black)
Ball -  :srixon-small: Z-Star XV
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino