Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

2020 Official Member Review: SKYCADDIE SX400 GPS

GolfSpy MPR

On 5/28/2020 at 6:19 PM, Nunfa0 said:

Good grief there's no easing into the round on that course 😬. It surprises me that they haven't shown that lovely tree on the map, it really does look like a major feature and I think I would have threatened to cut it down more than once 😁😎

I really need to grab a pic of that tee shot next time I play because it definitely looks more ominous from the ground than it does from a satellite image. It's truly the only difficult tee shot on that course though so as long as you hit a good one or shrug it off quickly, it's pretty easy to bounce back. Just disappointed that they'd fail to provide more detail on that specific map. 

I played my former home course while in Missouri as well and the maps for it were significantly better.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

On 5/28/2020 at 8:07 PM, Play18 said:

I’ve posted 15 rounds at my course and disappointed with the SX400 thus far. Half of the rounds wouldn’t let me measure shots, freeze during the round or shutdown. I’ve had to use Golfshot iOS Apple Watch as a backup. Not sure if I want to keep using it.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I have had the device freeze up on me exactly once, and I believe it was while trying to use some of the extra features like shot tracking. While I spoke positively in my review about the SX400's potential as a stat tracking device, I've found the most success using it with those features disabled. Since I already have Arccos, I find shot tracking with the SX400 to be both time consuming and distracting.

Used the SX400 to help me navigate another new course on Saturday. The maps for this particular course were well done and proved to be invaluable as there was more water in play than what I typically experience. It really helped plan shots so I could avoid penalty strokes (save for making some bad swings anyway).

6 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

I have had the device freeze up on me exactly once, and I believe it was while trying to use some of the extra features like shot tracking. While I spoke positively in my review about the SX400's potential as a stat tracking device, I've found the most success using it without those features disabled. Since I already have Arccos, I find shot tracking with the SX400 to be both time consuming and distracting.

I just had my SX400 freeze for the first time on the 17th hole on a new course.  Not sure what caused the hangup, luckily I had Arccos running stats for backup.  Otherwise it has been a mostly smooth experience since the test.  Having the computer generated maps and the detail+accuracy  is a much better experience than the GPS maps used by Arccos and other phone based apps.  I wish I could combine the two.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

6 minutes ago, JohnSmalls said:

I just had my SX400 freeze for the first time on the 17th hole on a new course.  Not sure what caused the hangup, luckily I had Arccos running stats for backup.  Otherwise it has been a mostly smooth experience since the test.  Having the computer generated maps and the detail+accuracy  is a much better experience than the GPS maps used by Arccos and other phone based apps.  I wish I could combine the two.

It'd be too easy to make a perfect product wouldn't it? lol I'm right there with you though. If Arccos could pair with my SX400 instead of my iPhone that would be amazing!!!

I’ve been using mine a lot.  Really like the screen/display a lot.  Maps are still great.  No issues with the device. I need to learn how to capture penalties and shot tracking.  But I’m keeping it.  

Woods:  :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max LS 9*,  Ventus Blue 6S / :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+, 15*, MCA Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 X Proto 3H & 4H, Ventus Blue 7S  

Irons: :Takomo: Takomo IRON 101 5-PW, Accra T90i S
Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX ZipCore 48*, Accra T90i, 53* & 58*, Accra T100i S
Putter: :EVNROLL: ER1.2, 355g, :kbs: Tour GPS, 33" w/
image.png.709cedef1b6b981263b7fb0d3abefd71.png Mid Slim 2.0
Bag/Cart: :nike-small: '20 Air Hybrid 2 / :Clicgear: 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2, Swivel kit
Accessories: :Arccos: 360 /  Garmin G80 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized 

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update - 

Still really liking this. I don't use some of the "extra" features much, but really like getting to my ball, looking at the screen, and go.  So quick and easy. Love it

:callaway-small: Mavrik Max, 9* 
:taylormade-small:Stealth 15* / 18*
:callaway-small: Rogue 4H, 21*
:callaway-small: Steelhead XR 5-AW 
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore 52* / 56*
:odyssey-small: White Hot Versa Seven S , 35"
Many other putters in the bullpen waiting for call

I use mine every round.  One thing I really wish it did was to tell you par for the hole.  I find it more and more annoying. 

Woods:  :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max LS 9*,  Ventus Blue 6S / :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+, 15*, MCA Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 X Proto 3H & 4H, Ventus Blue 7S  

Irons: :Takomo: Takomo IRON 101 5-PW, Accra T90i S
Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX ZipCore 48*, Accra T90i, 53* & 58*, Accra T100i S
Putter: :EVNROLL: ER1.2, 355g, :kbs: Tour GPS, 33" w/
image.png.709cedef1b6b981263b7fb0d3abefd71.png Mid Slim 2.0
Bag/Cart: :nike-small: '20 Air Hybrid 2 / :Clicgear: 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2, Swivel kit
Accessories: :Arccos: 360 /  Garmin G80 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized 

On 7/8/2020 at 12:27 PM, dbdors said:

I use mine every round.  On thing I really wish it did was to tell you par for the hole.  I find it more and more annoying. 

Strangely I haven't noticed that.  I will try to pay more attention this weekend.  However,  if you press the scorecard icon in the top right corner it will tell you par for the hole.  Just an extra step, although a potentially annoying one.

Gameday
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120

Classic Bag

On 6/15/2020 at 9:26 PM, dbdors said:

I’ve been using mine a lot.  Really like the screen/display a lot.  Maps are still great.  No issues with the device. I need to learn how to capture penalties and shot tracking.  But I’m keeping it.  

I think the only way to capture penalty strokes is to do it post-round by editing your scorecard within the SkyGolf 360 portion of their website?

Some quick updates about my experience with the SX400:

#1: I do still enjoy using the product and find it to be more than accurate enough to help me navigate a course and get the ball in the hole. In fact, I've even started to prefer the SX400 for approach shots as I'm able to select a better target than simply relying on pin position and making some educated guesses about how much green I have to work with. If the pin is at the front, I will aim for the middle of the front (depending on approach angle and how much green there actually is) - same for middle and back pin locations. This is really good because I recently ran over my Bushnell Tour V3 after it fell off a motorized cart after hitting a large bump 😞 ...

#2: The device is not without fault and while previewing a new course that I've never played before, it crashed. This is the first time I've ever had the SX400 crash - not lock up, but completely crash like an app on your smartphone would. The issue was easily remedied with a quick reboot and I have not had any repeat issues since.

#3: I've brought this up before and said I'd get some pictures to help demonstrate then failed to do so... Well, it happened again. While playing this new course - Pinnacle Golf & Boat Club in Mabank, TX - I noticed that the hole mapping was incomplete. It just doesn't seem like SkyCaddie made any real effort to give the golfer a good representation of the golf course. The best example I saw came on the 18th hole. It's a very straight hole with only one green side bunker. However, the hole plays rather tight with trees lining both sides of the fairway and depending on how you shape the ball, you may want to know if any of these trees present an issue for you. The SX400 DID NOT depict one single tree!!! Attached below are three images I took.

The first is the SkyCaddie map, the second is a screenshot of my Arccos map, and the third and final image is a picture of the hole as it appears from the tee box:

IMG_1898.jpg.cc52d3e9f1293ac9ff7e81d6a2d2efeb.jpg

IMG_1900.PNG.bcb0353212d5eba88e49093f5e8f13f5.PNG

IMG_1899.jpg.6d33b42279eef583931d8da0f3311554.jpg

How is it possible that SkyCaddie would fail to include even one single tree from this hole??? And why does their map show three bunkers??? The more I come across issues like this, the more I question their claim to actually walk every course they map. If they do, they certainly don't do it with any regularity...

Enjoyed the reviews and posts. Thinking about pulling the trigger but two quick questions.

-Do any of you think you'd prefer a rangefinder over the SX400? Or do you feel like the SX400 has been more beneficial then just a rangefinder.

-Anyone wish they had the larger SX500? Or if you have the SX500 (CG2!) do you find it larger than you'd like?

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/28/2020 at 9:26 PM, PAgolfer2017 said:

Enjoyed the reviews and posts. Thinking about pulling the trigger but two quick questions.

-Do any of you think you'd prefer a rangefinder over the SX400? Or do you feel like the SX400 has been more beneficial then just a rangefinder.

-Anyone wish they had the larger SX500? Or if you have the SX500 (CG2!) do you find it larger than you'd like?

Sorry I hadn't seen your post until just now.

During testing I used a Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder alongside the SX400 and found the accuracy to be comparable. A laser will always be more accurate, but at the recreational level there just isn't enough of a difference IMO. You need to really be dialed in with your distances to take advantage of the additional accuracy. Also, distance to the pin is only one factor.

Do you need to land the ball short and release or fly it a bit long and suck it back or use a slope to get closer to the hole? What's that distance? How do you obtain it? Without a caddie and a yardage book you might struggle to come up with an answer. The SX400 has proven very beneficial in this regard.

Another distinct advantage of GPS is it does not require line-of-sight in order to work. So when you have the misfortune of playing from another fairway or are simply playing to an elevated green and can't see the pin, you can still obtain the distance quickly and easily. The SX400 has definitely proven more useful for course management (provided the maps are any good).

I don't think I would care much for the larger SX500. The primary benefit besides a larger screen is the fact that it has a camera built in. Well... I have a smartphone that I'm pretty sure takes much better pictures which are readily accessible and easy to share online via social media. The SX400 fits comfortably in my pocket or a cup holder whereas the SX500 might be pushing the limits. With all else being equal and the SX400 having a lower price, I don't see a need for the SX500.

• 3 months later...

Is the sx400 helpful for shot direction on blind shots? Not just distance?

I'm torn between the sx400 or the garmin s62, the one thing I'd really like is help on total blind shots.  I end up in bad spots a lot and for when going to a new course that's hilly and the green is over or up a hill and I have no idea the direction of the green. From reading everything I could find it seems the sx400's dynamic holeview might be a help? The Garmin s62 has a compass "pinpointer" that points to the pin. 

Thanks,

On 7/28/2020 at 10:26 PM, PAgolfer2017 said:

Sorry PA Just seeing this. 

The SX500 is one of 3 pieces of equipment that have been in my bag the entire year. My SM7 wedges are the other!

I’ve enjoyed it a lot and it has provided everything I need.  I like the large screen.  I rarely carry it in my pocket, im fact i boughtca mount for it and attach it to the side rail of the carts windshield—See below. Its very handy there.  I use the Mark feature on just about every tee shot and some layup shots as wel to help lock in my club distances. 

461D5E8F-CBA3-4DAD-B678-F13A12299AEB.jpeg

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I have the SX500 & love it!  I have the same cart mount that @Golfspy_CG2has & it works nicely along side my speaker 🙂 

Even on courses that have the GPS on the carts, I still rely on the SX500.  It just seems to be more accurate.  I can move the cursor around to find distances to various targets that most cart GPS' don't.  I rely on it more often than not.  I use the "mark" feature but I still don't know how far I hit my clubs.  LOL 😉  I don't keep statistics as much as I should ..... probably should start huh?

If anyone is on the fence about getting one of these, don't be, you won't regret it.  

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM6 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

1 hour ago, golfinnut said:

I have the SX500 & love it!  I have the same cart mount that @Golfspy_CG2has & it works nicely along side my speaker 🙂 

Even on courses that have the GPS on the carts, I still rely on the SX500.  It just seems to be more accurate.  I can move the cursor around to find distances to various targets that most cart GPS' don't.  I rely on it more often than not.  I use the "mark" feature but I still don't know how far I hit my clubs.  LOL 😉  I don't keep statistics as much as I should ..... probably should start huh?

If anyone is on the fence about getting one of these, don't be, you won't regret it.  

Hey, finally I have a piece of equipment you aren't waiting for me to get tired of and offload it 🙂

Hey, finally I have a piece of equipment you aren't waiting for me to get tired of and offload it
Yeah BTW ... how much can you get me the TSi for? ;)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, golfinnut said:

Yeah BTW ... how much can you get me the TSi for? 😉

The same price Dick can get it for you 🙂

The same price Dick can get it for you

Now that's not true. I know you have the Titleist rep price hookup

35 minutes ago, golfinnut said:

Now that's not true. I know you have the Titleist rep price hookup emoji106.png

You’re right “I” do 😎

You’re right “I” do
Now is that how you treat your friends?

57 minutes ago, golfinnut said:

Now is that how you treat your friends?

Friends reach out when they aren’t looking for a favor 😉

Friends reach out when they aren’t looking for a favor
Friends reply back to text messages and let them know when they are in town

26 minutes ago, golfinnut said:

Friends reply back to text messages emoji112.png and let them know when they are in town emoji106.png

Im technically challenged.  I haven’t been there since the pandemic and not even sure when before that. 

Anyway. Back on topic.  

I used the SX500 again this afternoon as i began my 2020-21 driver testing.  But the battery ran low before i could grab screen shots

On 11/18/2020 at 3:36 PM, Justin_P said:

I'm torn between the sx400 or the garmin s62, the one thing I'd really like is help on total blind shots.  I end up in bad spots a lot and for when going to a new course that's hilly and the green is over or up a hill and I have no idea the direction of the green. From reading everything I could find it seems the sx400's dynamic holeview might be a help? The Garmin s62 has a compass "pinpointer" that points to the pin. 

Thanks,

That's a great question and one I honestly don't know the answer to.  I am 3 weeks removed from a golf course and probably another 3 weeks before I'll step foot on one.  I don't think I've ever tried to test that; I've played less than 5 rounds this year out of at least 50 that I've had a truly blind shot.  Hopefully some of the other testers can chime in for you.

Gameday

Classic Bag

On 11/18/2020 at 3:36 PM, Justin_P said:

Thanks,

To me this is where it shines over a laser.   You can tell if a hole dog legs over the blind spot and where any potential hazard may be, as well the distance to the green.  

You can also move the target cursor to a safe landing spot on the map to land  

This is a good example you can tell the hole is a dog leg and a hazard to cross.  You cam see where a 225 yard shot will leave you   5C2B82B9-6060-4DD9-8E3F-43CC65B28A0D.jpegJust a reminder.  This is a SX500. But i am sure  the SX400 has the same features.  

11 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

To me this is where it shines over a laser.   You can tell if a hole dog legs over the blind spot and where any potential hazard may be, as well the distance to the green.  

You can also move the target cursor to a safe landing spot on the map to land  

This is a good example you can tell the hole is a dog leg and a hazard to cross.  You cam see where a 225 yard shot will leave you   5C2B82B9-6060-4DD9-8E3F-43CC65B28A0D.jpegJust a reminder.  This is a SX500. But i am sure  the SX400 has the same features.  

It seems like all the technology and data is there for these to recommend a club... a step closer to having a real caddie.  They just need to integrate an anemometer, temp, altitude, and humidity sensors.  Now if they really want to see sales go through the roof, offer various caddie voice options like Paige Spiranac or Amanda Balionis 👍.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

2 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

It seems like all the technology and data is there for these to recommend a club... a step closer to having a real caddie.  They just need to integrate an anemometer, temp, altitude, and humidity sensors.  Now if they really want to see sales go through the roof, offer various caddie voice options like Paige Spiranac or Amanda Balionis 👍.

Problem with that last suggestion is, I think we'd get too distracted and forget what club they recommended...ha