Jump to content

2020 Official Member Review: SKYCADDIE SX400 GPS


Recommended Posts

Our Sponsors

15 hours ago, PCAL said:

You can sync the SX400 to your home wifi.  Anytime you keep score or track your shots, come home and hit sync on the SX400.  It will upload the information to SkyGolf and you can look at the data in SkyGolf360 or download their app to view it on your phone or tablet.  When you sync it will also update the software and golf courses that have been updated by the SkyGolf mappers.  This can also be done via the computer with cable, it is easier and quicker if you can connect to wifi.  

 

Thanks other than the initial set up. I have not had it back in the house. 

Driver: SIM 9 Motore X F1 7X tipped 1 inch

Utility Iron: Cobra King Utility irons 18 degree Aldila rogue 90 X

Irons: Cobra King forged CB 4-PW KBS $ Taper 130 X

Wedges: Cleveland 49,52.58.64

Putter: Kronos Release.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Golf has often had a—shall we say—tense relationship with its tech and innovation. [Irony alert: Nike isn't "playing in the now" anymore.] Be that as it may, there are still extrem

The Review 03/06/2020 SkyCaddie SX400 – Official MGS Forum Review by TR1PTIK Intro As always, I’d like to first thank MGS and SkyGolf for this amazing opportunity!   I’ve been pl

For clarity:  my dad is not a golfer, but he is a hiker--so post church lunch he likes to join me for a walk out on the golf course.  Although I wish he was a golfer (he played many moons ago), it is

Posted Images

Was wondering if anyone can tell me about how the screen looks? How is the clarity (resolution) compared to say a smartphone? I am considering either the 400 or the 500 (if I choose a GPS) and wanted to know since I can't see one in person anywhere around me. The 500 has a much higher resolution screen which I wanted to see if it mattered or not.

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, AceOD said:

Was wondering if anyone can tell me about how the screen looks? How is the clarity (resolution) compared to say a smartphone? I am considering either the 400 or the 500 (if I choose a GPS) and wanted to know since I can't see one in person anywhere around me. The 500 has a much higher resolution screen which I wanted to see if it mattered or not.

Go back to page 5 and you'll see two different on course photos of the screen.  Is it the clearest screen compared to the newest phones?  No.   Is it better than the first few generations of smartphones?  Absolutely.  I find it to be more than adequate.   Without knowing the specs, I would venture to say the screen would rival midrange phones.  The overall design of the graphics are basic almost vector-like.  I find that makes the information very clear, discernible and scalable without distortion. 

  • Like 2

2020 MGS Hard Rock Challenge

 

SkyCaddie SX400
OGIO Silencer:  Followed by Arccos
:cobra-small: F9 TL, Atmos TS Blue
:nike-small: Vapor Fly 3, Diamana Blue, Covert 2.0 3H, Kuro Kage Black
:wilson-small:
Wilson D7 Irons 4-GW,  Dynamic Gold AMT
:ping-small: Glide  52, 56 ES
:EVNROLL: ER2
:bridgestone-small: BXS

Romans 10:9

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JohnSmalls said:

Go back to page 5 and you'll see two different on course photos of the screen.  Is it the clearest screen compared to the newest phones?  No.   Is it better than the first few generations of smartphones?  Absolutely.  I find it to be more than adequate.   Without knowing the specs, I would venture to say the screen would rival midrange phones.  The overall design of the graphics are basic almost vector-like.  I find that makes the information very clear, discernible and scalable without distortion. 

Make sense... so you can't really tell if the resolution is low or not. The 400 only has a resolution of 540 by 1080, so not high res at all. The 500 is 1920 x 1080 so much higher. That just seems like a large difference for only $100 bucks more. Thanks for clarifying.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, AceOD said:

Make sense... so you can't really tell if the resolution is low or not. The 400 only has a resolution of 540 by 1080, so not high res at all. The 500 is 1920 x 1080 so much higher. That just seems like a large difference for only $100 bucks more. Thanks for clarifying.

On the side of the SX400 are two buttons to raise or lower the screen brightness, it defaults in the middle.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, PCAL said:

On the side of the SX400 are two buttons to raise or lower the screen brightness, it defaults in the middle.  

Not talking about brightness, just actual screen resolution. Like the 400 has a Pixel per inch # of like 300 which is close to second gen iphone. The 500 has a screen with a resolution closer to a midrange smartphone today, around 440. I just don't know how that would look as I haven't seen the device in person. Hopefully that makes sense.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AceOD said:

Not talking about brightness, just actual screen resolution. Like the 400 has a Pixel per inch # of like 300 which is close to second gen iphone. The 500 has a screen with a resolution closer to a midrange smartphone today, around 440. I just don't know how that would look as I haven't seen the device in person. Hopefully that makes sense.

Where do these numbers come from? They don’t match the spec sheet. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Digforged said:

Where do these numbers come from? They don’t match the spec sheet. 

the resolutions are from the specs on the website, the PPI is from math and internet verification (HERE)

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, AceOD said:

the resolutions are from the specs on the website, the PPI is from math and internet verification (HERE)

Then wouldn’t the sx500 exceed the iPhone 11 for screen resolution? Or am I still missing the point?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Digforged said:

Then wouldn’t the sx500 exceed the iPhone 11 for screen resolution? Or am I still missing the point?

I get that with the 500, but this thread is about the 400.... really looking for feedback on that considering how bad the screen is spec wise. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AceOD said:

I get that with the 500, but this thread is about the 400.... really looking for feedback on that considering how bad the screen is spec wise. 

It's easy to get caught up in resolution, ppi, and display technologies. Ultimately, it all boils down to usage.

In this case, the SX400 is more than adequate for its intended purpose. Part of the reason for the higher resolution on the SX500 (I suspect) is because it has the ability to take and display images and video (I think) taken on the course. As @JohnSmalls stated above, the graphics used for displaying the hole and providing distances are likely vector images otherwise they'd have serious trouble with scaling across numerous devices and have to duplicate efforts.

To summarize, the screen looks great and is not something I'd be concerned with whatsoever. Unless taking pictures and videos on the course - sans smartphone - is important to you, save the extra $$$ and get the SX400. The size of the device is much more practical as well IMO.

  • Like 4

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hyrbrid: Mizuno CLK 19* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo (4-PW) Dynamic Gold Pro S300
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 50*, 54*, & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura 6m 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Link to post
Share on other sites

So I've attempted to use shot tracking on a couple rounds now, but have struggled with missed shots (because I didn't tag them). Anyone figure out how to add shots?

I did at least figure out how to delete shots after the device auto-advanced to the next hole before I was done.

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hyrbrid: Mizuno CLK 19* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo (4-PW) Dynamic Gold Pro S300
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 50*, 54*, & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura 6m 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, TR1PTIK said:

So I've attempted to use shot tracking on a couple rounds now, but have struggled with missed shots (because I didn't tag them). Anyone figure out how to add shots?

I did at least figure out how to delete shots after the device auto-advanced to the next hole before I was done.

When you finish the round connect the SX400 to your home wifi and hit sync.  This will upload your scoring and shot tracking data to SkyGolf360.  To access SkyGolf360 you can download the app on your phone or go to www.skygolf.com.  In the app, log in and on the home page is your most recent rounds.  Click on the round and it will take you to your scorecard page.  On the hole image click on edit/zoom, it expands the hole with tracked shots, then hold down your finger in the spot you missed to capture.  It will pull up a grid of clubs and select the club you used, proceed to the next hole and repeat.  Using your computer, go to www.skygolf.com, log in and click on my360profile at the top next to your name.  Same as the app, it shows your recent rounds, click on the round to edit.  Same process except you use your mouse to add shots missed.  

If you have time on the golf course, the same screen you learned to delete a shot, you can add one.  Hold down your finger in the spot you missed to capture and add the shot.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Bought the sx400, opened it up today and the screen protector provided was dirty and not aligned... can’t make it work. Any idea how to get another one?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, AceOD said:

Bought the sx400, opened it up today and the screen protector provided was dirty and not aligned... can’t make it work. Any idea how to get another one?

 

The "screen protector" you're referring to is only meant to reduce the likelihood of damage during shipping and handling so you're unlikely to get another one from Sky Caddie. You can typically find similar films in the electronics department at Walmart that are cut-to-fit. It won't help you too much if you drop the device on concrete or asphalt (depending on how it lands), but it will save the screen from light scuffs and abrasions from being in your pocket or golf bag. For reference though, I peeled that thing off as soon as I got the SX400 and have had zero issues.

EDIT: Just for good measure, I checked the Sky Golf store and see that they do have some sort of screen protector on the horizon, but no idea if it will be any better than what I just mentioned. I'd recommend checking this link periodically for any updates: https://shop.skygolf.com/c-61-lens-covers.aspx

  • Like 3

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hyrbrid: Mizuno CLK 19* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo (4-PW) Dynamic Gold Pro S300
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 50*, 54*, & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura 6m 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Link to post
Share on other sites

Played earlier today and compared the SX400 against Arccos, 18 Birdies, and SkyDroid for a few holes. Honestly, all were within 1-2 yards of each other to the center of the green. The SX400 is a little more friendly thanks to their hole maps vs. the other apps which rely on satellite imagery. It makes it much easier to distinguish between the various types of grass when hitting to the fairway or green. I'd like to share a bit more about the comparison, but I'm going to save it for my official review which will be dropping soon.

  • Like 1

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hyrbrid: Mizuno CLK 19* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo (4-PW) Dynamic Gold Pro S300
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 50*, 54*, & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura 6m 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally got out again this weekend. As some of the others have said, it is very easy to use. 

I played a course I play alot that has multiple blind shots. My friends who have lasers have a tough time on this course because of the limited line of sight. My buddy used his laser and I used the Sky Caddie.  Fun comparisons. Obviously, from the middle of the fairway with a clear view of the flag, both had similar readings. Where it got fun was from the rough (or trees) behind mounds/hills. The Sky Caddie showed good line and target while my buddy had to walk to the top of the hill to get clear line of sight. Hopefully the pics I'm attaching show this. I will try to pair up the SkyCaddie screen with the actual look

The stats and scorecard are very easy to use. Very easy to input

1823222898_SkyCaddieLB5.jpg.7aaf99d9ac141ac7d695a5e09419194d.jpgLB5.jpg.dd1b362b44b77b141e3370b0cbe8e055.jpg2026909509_SkyCaddieLB13.jpg.f07c95b30d528bef85d7c78a7420208d.jpgLB13.jpg.ab990445ce60fa64096f63a6be3b407a.jpg

  • Like 3

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 9*
:callaway-small: GBB Epic 15* / 18*
:callaway-small: Rogue 4H, 21*
:callaway-small: Steelhead XR 5-AW / :ping-small: G410 5-UW
:titelist-small: SM8 52* / 56*
:scotty-cameron-1: Newport 2 Select, 35"
Many other putters in the bullpen waiting for call

Link to post
Share on other sites

deleted duplicate post

 

 

Edited by gregh729
double post

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 9*
:callaway-small: GBB Epic 15* / 18*
:callaway-small: Rogue 4H, 21*
:callaway-small: Steelhead XR 5-AW / :ping-small: G410 5-UW
:titelist-small: SM8 52* / 56*
:scotty-cameron-1: Newport 2 Select, 35"
Many other putters in the bullpen waiting for call

Link to post
Share on other sites

another one. 

Edited by gregh729
dup

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 9*
:callaway-small: GBB Epic 15* / 18*
:callaway-small: Rogue 4H, 21*
:callaway-small: Steelhead XR 5-AW / :ping-small: G410 5-UW
:titelist-small: SM8 52* / 56*
:scotty-cameron-1: Newport 2 Select, 35"
Many other putters in the bullpen waiting for call

Link to post
Share on other sites

Spent this past weekend playing 27 holes without the Skycaddie.  The first 18 were on a course that I have never played with a lot of blind shots and strategically placed trouble in which I took many "vacations".  The last 9 were on my home track.  Even playing on a familiar course walking off distances, I still found myself in a bit of trouble without having the Skycaddie.  We are coming down to the final stretch, are there any scenarios or questions that you guys have that we haven't covered?

  • Like 3

2020 MGS Hard Rock Challenge

 

SkyCaddie SX400
OGIO Silencer:  Followed by Arccos
:cobra-small: F9 TL, Atmos TS Blue
:nike-small: Vapor Fly 3, Diamana Blue, Covert 2.0 3H, Kuro Kage Black
:wilson-small:
Wilson D7 Irons 4-GW,  Dynamic Gold AMT
:ping-small: Glide  52, 56 ES
:EVNROLL: ER2
:bridgestone-small: BXS

Romans 10:9

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...