2020 Official Member Review: SKYCADDIE SX400 GPS

Our Sponsors

Played today in the worse conditions yet. The temps were in the low 40s but the wind was howling. The SkyCaddie proved once again to be a capable partner. I velcroed it to my cart which means a quick glance down was all I needed to confirm distance and club selection. My biggest gripe is really more self inflected than a design flaw. When I’m not deliberate when returning the S.C. to its perch or if I’m lazy and slip it in my pocket the extreme sensitivity of the screen tends to result in a little jumping around from my inadvertent bumping.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 4
  • Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Golf has often had a—shall we say—tense relationship with its tech and innovation. [Irony alert: Nike isn't "playing in the now" anymore.] Be that as it may, there are still extrem

I went into this review with an open mind but if I’m honest a little skeptical. My thinking going in was most players are not good enough (nor am I) to benefit from the information provided. After

The Review 03/06/2020 SkyCaddie SX400 – Official MGS Forum Review by TR1PTIK Intro As always, I’d like to first thank MGS and SkyGolf for this amazing opportunity!   I’ve been pl

Posted Images

Played today using only the SX400 and it went really well. This is the first time I used the SkyCaddie as my sole DMD and it really helped me navigate a course I've only played once before on a fairly windy day. Very pleased with its performance.

• Like 4

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Aldila RIP Alpha 60 S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hyrbrid: Mizuno CLK 19* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Bridgestone J40 CB (4-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 50*, 54*, & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT Premier 4 34"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Spent this past weekend playing 27 holes without the Skycaddie.  The first 18 were on a course that I have never played with a lot of blind shots and strategically placed trouble in which I took many "vacations".  The last 9 were on my home track.  Even playing on a familiar course walking off distances, I still found myself in a bit of trouble without having the Skycaddie.  We are coming down to the final stretch, are there any scenarios or questions that you guys have that we haven't covered?

I agree with you. I’m certainly surprised at how much I’ve enjoyed using this device. While it cannot execute a shot it certainly gives one the confidence to just swing away.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 3

Posted final review to first page place holder. 

I will say I love this device and I am also a big fan of the experience as a whole. range finding, score keeping, stat tracking. I truly believe that if I am diligent at keeping track this will benefit my whole game. 

*EDIT* Here is a link to the review. 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/36185-2020-official-member-review-skycaddie-sx400-gps/?do=findComment&comment=591718

Edited by Quigleyd
  • Like 3

Driver: SIM 9 Motore X F1 7X tipped 1 inch

Utility Iron: Cobra King Utility irons 18 degree Aldila rogue 90 X

Irons: Cobra King forged CB 4-PW KBS $ Taper 130 X

Wedges: Cleveland 49,52.58.64

Putter: Kronos Release.

My review is up! Hope you guys enjoy. Feel free to ask more questions!

• Like 3

I'll be the first to admit I was pretty skeptical about the value of a device like this. But the reviews definitely have me intrigued. It wouldn't be something I'd purchased right now, but if I get to a point where I'm comfortable with my clubs and game, I could see this being very valuable.

I played a new-to-me course last weekend and having the scorecard, GPS, and hole overview in one spot would have been a big help. Between a paper scorecard, Grint for a digital scorecard, ShotScope for GPS and a traditional laser, it's almost too much to handle when playing a new course. 

Now, playing at a course I know very well? I can see where this wouldn't be as helpful.

• Like 2

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 9.7 (Last Updated Nov. 27, 2020)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Mavrik (9°), 45.75", Aldila Rogue White 60 (130 MSI) X-Stiff
17° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Super Hybrid, 41.5", Mitsubishi MMT Hybrid 80 TX
18.5° Driving Iron: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2016 Model), 39.5", Mitsubishi MMT Utility 105 TX
21° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Epic Flash, 40", Mitsubishi MMT Hybrid 80 TX
4-AW:  
Sub70_Logo_WhtBlk.jpg.aee386374adf9afd31a02b989c839f9d.jpg Sub70 699 (4-6)/699 Pro (7-AW) Combo Set, 1° Flat, 37" 7 Iron, Mitsubishi MMT Taper 105 TX
54°, 58°:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING MIM Black, 1° Flat, -1/4", Mitsubishi MMT Wedge 105 TX
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3°
Grips: 
lamkin.png.5081890e009ae78e16066ee0fd18b7c0.png Lamkin Sonar Tour
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: :Arccos: Arccos / Cobra Connect
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: :CaddyTek: CaddyTek Caddylite EZ V8

WITB? | 2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

1 hour ago, edingc said:

I'll be the first to admit I was pretty skeptical about the value of a device like this. But the reviews definitely have me intrigued. It wouldn't be something I'd purchased right now, but if I get to a point where I'm comfortable with my clubs and game, I could see this being very valuable.

I played a new-to-me course last weekend and having the scorecard, GPS, and hole overview in one spot would have been a big help. Between a paper scorecard, Grint for a digital scorecard, ShotScope for GPS and a traditional laser, it's almost too much to handle when playing a new course. 

Now, playing at a course I know very well? I can see where this wouldn't be as helpful.

I am finding that I enjoy and like the stat keeping and game tracking features as much if not more than the range finding and distance determining features. 

• Like 3

My final is posted as well, but as I use and learn more, I will post more; 

• Like 2

Woods: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9*, Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S / TM M5, 15*, Diamana Thump 75S / TM M5, 19*, Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: TEE C721 22*, KBS TGI 80S

Irons: TM M6, 5-GW, Accra 80i S
Wedges: Cleveland CBX 2, 55*, 60*, Accra 80i S
Putter: Evnroll ER1.2, 355g, KBS Tour One Step, 33", SS Mid-Slim 2.0
Ball: Maxfli Tour
Bag/Cart: '20 Nike Air Hybrid 2 / BagBoy Quad XL
Accessories: Arccos 360 / Sky Caddie SX 400 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized

Tower, this is Ghost Rider requesting a fly-by.   The review is up!  Photos will be added in the next couple of days.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2020 MGS Hard Rock Challenge

SkyCaddie SX400
OGIO Silencer:  Followed by Arccos
:ping-small: G410+, Tensei Orange
:nike-small: Vapor Fly 3, Diamana Blue, Covert 2.0 3H, Kuro Kage Black
:wilson-small:
Wilson D7 Irons 4-GW,  Dynamic Gold AMT
:ping-small: Glide  52, 56 ES
:EVNROLL: ER2
:titelist-small: -ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

My review can be seen here.   

Hope you find it useful and a big shoutout to MGS and SkyGolf for allowing me the opportunity to review this product.  Feel free to shoot me any questions about the gear or my review.

• Like 3

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree Alta CB55 Stiff shaft 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: M6 --- 3 (19 degrees), 4 (22 degrees), and 5 (25 degrees) Atmos shaft R

Irons: :callaway-small:Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBS Tour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX-2 52*, 56*, 60* wedges.  Stock shafts.

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

On 2/29/2020 at 1:23 PM, SteddyGolf said:

Played today in the worse conditions yet. The temps were in the low 40s but the wind was howling. The SkyCaddie proved once again to be a capable partner. I velcroed it to my cart which means a quick glance down was all I needed to confirm distance and club selection. My biggest gripe is really more self inflected than a design flaw. When I’m not deliberate when returning the S.C. to its perch or if I’m lazy and slip it in my pocket the extreme sensitivity of the screen tends to result in a little jumping around from my inadvertent bumping.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

If you click on the power button (right side of the unit, bottom button), it will lock the screen.  This way if you put the SX400 in your pocket it will keep the screen secure. 

• Like 5

I'll try to get my review up by next week.  Have to travel out of town later this week and will play in a tournament with my Son on Saturday if weather allows.  Wish me luck on breaking 100.

• Like 2

:ping-small:  G400 Driver, Alta CB 55 S, Winn Dri-Tac

:ping-small:  G400 3W, Alta CB S Flex 65, Winn Dri-Tac

:ping-small:  G400 19*, Alta CB S Flex 70, Winn Dri-Tac

:ping-small:  G400 4-U Irons, Alta CB S Flex, Winn Dri-Tac

:callaway-small: Smart Sole SW,

:odyssey-small: White Steel 2 Ball SRT Putter - Odyssey Stroke Lab Grip

So with several reviews up now, I’m curious to know if anyone has questions not previously addressed or would like to see very specific product comparisons. ???

• Like 1

Hey Guys!!  Great job on the reviews. 

And Skycaddie has put a post on it's Facebook site promoting the MGS reviews with a link to this thead!   That's fantastic!  

Thanks as always for the committed work and honest and thorough feedback that MGS reviews are known for!

• Like 4
  • Love 1

:titelist-small: TSi2 Kuro Kage 50g R Flex

:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:ping-small: Heppler Tomcast 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

1 hour ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

And Skycaddie has put a post on it's Facebook site promoting the MGS reviews with a link to this thead!   That's fantastic!  

Thanks as always for the committed work and honest and thorough feedback that MGS reviews are known for!

Just liked their FB page and took a look at their post. Pretty neat!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Awesome. I just wish I was not going through a full week and a half of snow every day!!!

• Like 2

Just caught up on the reviews.  As a former SkyCaddie SG-5 user, I have always liked their service and the hardware.  I'm now really intrigued if I should upgrade the mothballed SG-5 to SX400.  I noticed everyone had said how solid the feel of the SX400 is.  Does anyone know if it has any form of water protection ?  I've been caught in a few rainstorms and the SG-5 handled it with no issues.  Also, are the batteries replaceable ?

MDGolfHacker

• Like 2

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :cobra-small: F8 9.5° Project X Even Flow Blue 65g shaft 

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 5W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 816H2 19°

Irons: :mizuno-small: MP-20 SEL Project X 5.5 shafts 5-PW

:mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB Project X 5.5 shaft 4 Iron

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro

Social Media:

Facebook:   md golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Currently Testing: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

45 minutes ago, MDGolfHacker said:

Just caught up on the reviews.  As a former SkyCaddie SG-5 user, I have always liked their service and the hardware.  I'm now really intrigued if I should upgrade the mothballed SG-5 to SX400.  I noticed everyone had said how solid the feel of the SX400 is.  Does anyone know if it has any form of water protection ?  I've been caught in a few rainstorms and the SG-5 handled it with no issues.  Also, are the batteries replaceable ?

MDGolfHacker

I seem to recall that it has some rain protection and, looking at it, it seals all the ports and appears to be moderately capable of dealing with light moisture.  I doubt highly that it's waterproof, however.

The batteries do not appear to be user replaceable.

• Like 2

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree Alta CB55 Stiff shaft 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: M6 --- 3 (19 degrees), 4 (22 degrees), and 5 (25 degrees) Atmos shaft R

Irons: :callaway-small:Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBS Tour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX-2 52*, 56*, 60* wedges.  Stock shafts.

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

3 hours ago, MDGolfHacker said:

MDGolfHacker

2 hours ago, CarlH said:

I seem to recall that it has some rain protection and, looking at it, it seals all the ports and appears to be moderately capable of dealing with light moisture.  I doubt highly that it's waterproof, however.

The batteries do not appear to be user replaceable.

I have the SX500 and unless I'm missing something it's manually rechargeable, not replaceable batteries.    I don't think it's waterproof, but I would generally always have mine ina cart or in my golf bag. 

• Like 2

:titelist-small: TSi2 Kuro Kage 50g R Flex

:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:ping-small: Heppler Tomcast 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

12 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I have the SX500 and unless I'm missing something it's manually rechargeable, not replaceable batteries.    I don't think it's waterproof, but I would generally always have mine ina cart or in my golf bag. 

Ah cool thanks.  Just thinking as long as the unit was water resistant, that should suffice.  As for the battery, I was more thinking in the long run how easy would the proprietary battery be to replace.  

MDGolfHacker

• Like 1

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :cobra-small: F8 9.5° Project X Even Flow Blue 65g shaft 

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 5W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 816H2 19°

Irons: :mizuno-small: MP-20 SEL Project X 5.5 shafts 5-PW

:mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB Project X 5.5 shaft 4 Iron

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5