Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

The Zoom Boom Training Aid

GolfSpy Dave

• SPY VIP

MyGolfSpy.com Official Review: Zoom Boom Training Aid

https://zoomboomgolf.com/Zoom_Boom_Golf.html

Training aid reviews are perhaps the most difficult type of reviews to write. Ultimately, the goal of using any training tool is to swing better after using it. This is the most difficult thing to truly quantify. Are you playing better because of the tool, or because of the extra practice? Can the training tool take the place of your instructor between lessons? What I mean by that is does the tool allow you to continue to work on the problem areas of your swing without your teacher being present? To me, these are quite subjective questions and difficult to use as a system of ranking for a training aid. As a result, I am going to base this review and my future training aid reviews on the guidelines that the PGA has published for teaching professionals. Specifically, these five criteria:

1. Validity: Is the device designed for something really important to success in the swing or the game?

2. Reliability: Does the device provide consistent results when used in the same manner?

3. Simplicity: Is the device easy to use and understand by the instructor and the learner?

4. Durability: If the teaching aid is used regularly, is it made well enough so that it won't require early replacement?

5. Cost Effectiveness: Are the product's benefits worth the price?

On to the Zoom Boom...

I definitely want to start out by giving Lance huge thumbs up for customer service. Throughout the past weeks, he has checked in with me often via email to see if I had any questions about the Zoom Boom and its use.

IMG_1219.jpg

IMG_1220.jpg

Validity (20 Points)

I interpret the Zoom Boom as addressing three basic aspects of the golf swing, maintaining lag, stop swinging over the top, and squaring the club head through impact. Obviously these are all important aspects of the swing and I think that the tool along with the drills in the videos does an average job of addressing these areas. The shifting in the weight in the Zoom Boom does allow you to feel the loading of the wrists in what they call “lock” position, but I think that the same shift in the center of gravity makes it feel very different during a full swing motion. While the weight in the hands definitely promotes dropping the hands from the top rather than swinging over the top, the light weight at the “club head” end made it difficult for me to keep track of it during the swing. I didn't feel any real feedback from the head end regardless of swing path. Another issue for me is I felt that while the Zoom Boom addresses aspects of the arms during the swing, it did not help me with body rotation. Granted, this is not the goal of the Zoom Boom, but making a full turn is one of my personal swing goals and I need a tool that promotes the turn.

IMG_1221.jpg

I do really like the dual white balls at the head end as a way to visualize the status of the face through impact. Again, I wish there was a bit more kinesthetic feedback as you turn the balls through impact. Aligning the balls square through impact does give a nice visual goal though

IMG_1222.jpg

Validity Score: 15/20

Reliability (20 Points)

I do see theZoom Boom as providing constant results when used in the same manner. However, I did not feel very confident that I was getting the constant correct results. My confidence improved as I moved in front of a mirror to practice the drills. Overall though, based upon its construction, I do not see any way that the results would change between sessions providing the user holds and uses it the same way.

Reliability Score: 18/20

Simplicity (20 Points)

I think that the Zoom Boom is very simple to use. The drills provided with the device and at the Zoom Boom site are easy to comprehend. Again though, I have a bit of an issue with the kinesthetic feedback of the device. Use of the Zoom Boom is simple in concept, but I was not always sure I was using it correctly based upon feel. Using a mirror helped, but I don't usually have one of those on the course.

Another area where the product could be improved is with the instruction materials provided. A single sided page with a swinging, putting, and chipping drill really is not enough for someone who is unfamiliar with the tool to get started. The online videos are definitely a helpful supplement, but having to seek out drills and resources does make operation less simple.

IMG_1225.jpg

Simplicity Score: 15/20

Durability (20 Points)

The Zoom Boom is built so soundly that your great grand kids can probably still use it long after you are gone. No moving parts, quality materials. This thing will last and last.

Durability Score: 20/20

Cost Effectiveness (20 Points)

The Zoom Boom retails for $99.95 plus $19.95 shipping. I honestly think that this is a bit too high for the device. Golf equipment is expensive, but weighted training clubs can be found from $24.95 for the MG Golf Groovie to the $69.95 Medicus weighted/hittable 7 iron. I will definitely say that the Zoom Boom's shift in weighting makes it different from the other clubs, but I still don't feel that it warrants the price.

Ultimately, I believe that I would have a tough time arguing that the money spent on the Zoom Boom would produce better results than spending the same money working with a golf instructor. In all fairness, I am not sure that any training tool would pass this tool vs. lesson challenge.

Cost Effectiveness Score: 10/20

Total Score: 78/100

On the plus side, the Zoom Boom does come with a 30-day refund guarantee for the full purchase price, including shipping. This a great offer and I believe that it speaks to the confidence that the company has in its product. This way, you can try it out risk-free and see if it works for you. Most of my criticisms of the Zoom Boom are based upon a very subjective and individual “feel” while using the tool. Perhaps you will have a completely different take.

IMG_1223.jpg

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Archived