TESTERS WANTED! ×

Srixon Introduces 3rd Generation Q Star Tour

HUNTINGTON BEACH, Calif. — January 8, 2020 — SRIXON®, a global leader in golf ball technology and innovation, announces the launch of the third generation Q-STAR TOUR golf ball. The all-new Srixon Q-STAR TOUR is available in Pure White™ and Tour Yellow™ and officially launches in North America on January 17, 2020.

“The new Q-STAR TOUR is a tour-caliber golf ball, delivering a softer feel at impact,” said Jeff Brunski, Vice President of Research and Development. “We’ve enhanced this generation with the new FastLayer Core to drive more ball speed and distance, while the SeRM urethane cover offers maximum spin and stopping power.”

The foundation of the third generation Q-STAR TOUR is the FastLayer Core. With its gradual transition from soft inner core to firm outer edge, FastLayer behaves like a core with thousands of layers, delivering distance and soft feel without compromise.

The new Q-STAR TOUR features our softest FastLayer Core, which is the largest core in its class. That means distance and short game spin that is seen on tour, but a softer feel that isn’t found on tour.

Additionally, the new Q-STAR TOUR golf balls feature Srixon’s proprietary Spin Skin technology with Slide-Ring Material (SeRM), a urethane compound that coats the cover of every Q-STAR TOUR golf ball. The SeRM urethane cover digs deep into wedge and iron grooves, dramatically increasing friction at impact. That extra friction means more spin and more control on every approach shot into the green.

Finally, Q-STAR TOUR features a new side stamping design to help aid in alignment for improved aim, accuracy, and confidence.

Key Technologies:

• New FastLayer Core: The new FastLayer Core offers distance and soft feel without compromise due to a gradual transition from soft inner core to firm outer edge.
  • New Spin Skin with SeRM: SeRM, a new urethane coating with flexible molecular bonds, digs deep into wedge and iron grooves for increased friction and maximum spin.
  • New Alignment Aid: New side stamping aids in alignment when standing over those critical putts.
  • 338 Speed Dimple Pattern: Providing a penetrating ball flight in any conditions, the 338 Speed Dimple Pattern increases lift and reduces drag to maximize distance.

The Srixon Q-STAR TOUR golf balls officially launch in North America on January 17, 2020, at a MAP of $32.99 per dozen.

Q-STAR TOUR_2 (1).jpg

Q-STAR TOUR Tech_SeRM.png

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Looking forward to give these a go this spring.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

I've been a big fan of the QST since their introduction, so I'll be taking these out for a few rounds for sure. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

19 hours ago, Stanks said:

Finally tried Z-star and XV last year and was very impressed. Big fan. Didn't get a chance to try the Q-Star TOurs but, I know they have a cult following. 

Big fan of the yellow finish too. 

Srixon's yellow is probably the best of the non-white golf ball colors.  

Except when you hit them into an area where dandelions have not yet been eliminated.  🙄

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

Got a bunch of last gen and new Z-stars for Christmas, but based on my play and budget preference I'll definitely give these Q-Stars a chance when I lose all of my current balls. Glad to see some of the top-tech filter down to a "tier 2" ball while keeping the price reasonable. Heck, if I see a good sale with the new QST I might as well stock up!

Good job Srixon for making a great value ball! Here's hoping you guys continue to grow market share!

In my :ping-small: Hoofer:

:ping-small: G410 LST 10.5* - Kai'Li White 60 X-flex

:nike-small: VRS Covert 3W 15* - Kuro Kage 65 S-flex

:titelist-small:  T200 4-GW, DG X100 Tour Issue - Tester

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 54.12 SS & 58.10 SS

:ping-small:  Zing 2 LW - 60*

:ping-small:  Anser 2

I started playing the Q-Star Tour last year and will continue to do so this year.  Like many others, I tried out several different balls after the ball test.  The QST wasn't the highest performer in the test, but the price point for a 3-piece urethane ball caught my attention.  The short-game performance and the durability are what sold me on it.  Short-game, I could not discern a difference between the QST and Z-Star.  The ball test had QST spinning less then Z-Star, but at my skill level I have had no issues stopping the ball on the green.  It also seems to take quite a bit during normal play to scuff these up; a real plus IMO.  The QST is a heck of a price vs. performance balance particularly when you catch a good sale.  At one point last year, Golf Galaxy had the QST at $10/dz.  I couldn't beat that.

• 4 weeks later...

I moved from surlyn cover balls to Q Star Tour 2s last year just to see what difference urethane would make.  I can say that I haven't been disappointed.  Hopefully the QStar Tour 3s are just as fun to game with.  I'm still fairly new to golf, so I'm far from a spin wizard, but these QStars have stuck to the green well enough for me.  

I got the chance to play 9 holes at the local course last month and granted the course was a bit soggy from the rain, but I crushed a monster of a 6 iron shot that I was afraid would roll off the back of the green.  Instead I wound up about 15 feet from the hole.  

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

As a former QST guy, I'd let you all know that GG and Dicks are still selling 2 sleeve trial packs for 10 bucks of V3. So if you wanna save some cash, well..  you know

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

• 1 month later...

Got my Season Opener from Srixon this morning!

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

I picked up a box of the Tour “seasonal” opener pack (3 dozen) at PGA Superstore couple weeks ago for $22 per dozen.

Been playing them for a few weeks against the Titleist AVX and new Bridgestone Tour BX. I like this ball a LOT! It’s very long and has all the spin I need. It feels much softer than the Tour BX (feel is what I didn’t like in the White box testing).

I like the ball so much, I’ve gone back to PGASS to pick up 2 more packs. 

:titleist-small: TSR2 - Ventus Red, 6X

:titleist-small: TSR2 3W - Ventus Red, 7X

:titleist-small: TSR2 5W - Ventus Red TR, 8X

:mizuno-small: JPX 223 Tour PW-7i/JPX 223 Forged 6i-4i - Nippon Modus 130X

:taylormade-small: MG3 - 50, 54, 58* -  Nippon Modus 130X

:scotty-small: Scotty Cameron Circle T Futura X5 

:titleist-small: Titleist Prov1

Good times ahead.  Already sad for the ones that will get lost.

20200309_141830.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just bought these from Golf Galaxy on line. They have a deal where you buy $75 worth, you get $15 off.  Bought the 3 dozen deal plus got a 6 pack at $10 to get over $75.  So, ended up with 3 1/2 dozen for about $61 or less than $20 a dozen.  Liked last year’s ball so this should be the same or even better.  Now I have a lot of golf balls and no place to play.

Edited by HAC
  • :taylormade-small: Sim 2 Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue 6R shaft
  • :taylormade-small:Sim 2 5 wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 5R shaft
  •  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311 Gen 5 Seven Wood Project X Cypher 50 5.5 shaft set to flat with weights set to fade.
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrid 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at C4 setting (flat for lefties)
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 and 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • Go back and forth between :cameron-small: Select Newport 2 putter 34 inch length and :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne putter 33 inch length
  • Bridgestone B X.

After last year this is my go to ball. You can't beat the price at less than half of the premium balls. Performance is right there.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

• 2 weeks later...

For my money this is the best ball out there with sites selling these for less than $20, this ball seems to cut through the wind better than just about any ball i have ever played.  I have been playing this for about 6 months now consistently and they perform as well as the Pro V1x as far as spin stopping power on greens, and i believe they fly farther.  i am a single digit handicap and for many players out there this ball is more than adequate.  The average golfer spending $40-50 per dozen golf balls are just wasting their money as they do not get all the benefits of that premier level ball.  Best site for the Q-Star tour is www.hurricanegolf.com as they sell out of box for less than $20 and had ones in a box on promo recently as well.

Michael Miami, FL
5.5 USGA index
Cobra Rad Speed 9 degree with smoke HZRDS RDX 6.0 shaft
Tour Edge 15 degree 3 wood with 6.5 HZRDS Smoke shaft
Srixon XZ 16 degree rescue with 6.5 dynaflo shaft

Cobra Amp  #4/5 22 degree rescue

Cobra F9 speedback irons 5-PW

Cleveland CG 46 Degree

Cleveland CBX 50 degree
Wilson Staff SW 54 degree
Rife Enzo blade with Graviry Grip cut to 32"

I really like the feel of the Q Star Tour.  I've only been playing golf for a year and until I started practicing short game shots in my yard with my wedges, I never played the feel any attention.  Srixon lists the compression at 72, so it's not as soft of a ball as some manufacturers are making, but they do feel super soft in the short game.

• 2 weeks later...

Played my first round with the new Q Star Tour yesterday. I usually play a ProV1. My first impressions are that its longer than the ProV on both the first and second shots. Short irons into the green are drop and stop. Could see no difference with the putter compared to the ProV.  Also seems to be a good ball into the wind. Winds here yesterday were two to three clubs. Great first outing.

Retired Army aviator. 2 Vietnam tours flying Hueys.

I have had Q Star Tours do amazing things off the tee.  I dont have another gamer in my bag to compare to, but the workability is there too.  Most of my drives are either straight or a slice, but I have had some very big draws with my driver playing these.  My best drive with one of these has been 270 yards, but I was aided by catching the backside of a hill that was at about 240-250 from the tees. 

I have an older Cobra 3/4 wood that always hits straight down the middle, but I had a tee shot with it get pushed by a left to right wind on Monday afternoon.  It was not a drastic push at all.  I would guess it pushed the ball 10 yards to the right at most.  My drive would've been in the rough on the left of the fairway, but was pushed back to the middle by the wind.

On 4/18/2020 at 11:29 PM, tj2kgolfer said:

Big fan of the mid level multi layer construction golf balls. I love this ball and I love the new Titleist tour soft.

I buy the Srixon Q Star Tour over the Titleist Tour Soft (an excellent ball) for two reasons (1) the Urethane cover on the Q Star Tour and (2) it is much cheaper.

•  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311 Gen 5 Seven Wood Project X Cypher 50 5.5 shaft set to flat with weights set to fade.
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrid 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at C4 setting (flat for lefties)
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 and 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • Go back and forth between :cameron-small: Select Newport 2 putter 34 inch length and :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne putter 33 inch length
  • Bridgestone B X.

57 minutes ago, HAC said:

I buy the Srixon Q Star Tour over the Titleist Tour Soft (an excellent ball) for two reasons (1) the Urethane cover on the Q Star Tour and (2) it is much cheaper.

Gen 3s are still $32.99 a dozen for the Q Star Tour.  However, urethane is better any day!

1 hour ago, AmishJason said:

Gen 3s are still $32.99 a dozen for the Q Star Tour.  However, urethane is better any day!

I got mine on a buy 2 dozen get a third dozen free sale and bought six balls extra so that I could get $15 off from Dick's for spending more than $75.  So, my all in cost was a bit less than $20 a dozen.  Yes, if I bought $75 worth of the Titleists, I could have gotten the $15 extra, but I have not seen the three for two sales on this Titleist ball.  I know that Titleist (and others) often do 4 for 3 sales in the spring (I have only seen this for Pro V1, Pro VIx and I think AVX), but 3 for 2 is a better deal and I see deals for Srixons pretty frequently.

Edited by HAC
  • Bridgestone B X.

Will give these a try someday but I still have two dozen to use up first. 

• Driver _ Ping G400 Max
  • Woods _ Ping G410 3 & 5 | Cleveland Launcher XL HALO 7
  • Hybrid _ Titleist 818 H1 5 
  • Irons _ Titleist T300 6-GW
  • Wedges _ Titleist SM9 52F & 56S
  • Putter _ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife Two Bar Hybrid
  • Distance _ Bushnell Phantom 2 GPS | Precision Pro NX7 Pro
  • Ball _ Titleist Pro V1 yellow
  • GHIN _ HCP floats between 8 & 12

:ping-small:  :cleveland-small: :titelist-small:  :vokey-small:   :odyssey-small:  :rife-putters-1:  :918457628_PrecisionPro:  :sunmountain: :Clicgear:   :footjoy-small:  

"Never bet against an old man with old clubs that have new grips"

On 2/4/2020 at 11:12 AM, Berg Ryman said:

As a former QST guy, I'd let you all know that GG and Dicks are still selling 2 sleeve trial packs for 10 bucks of V3. So if you wanna save some cash, well..  you know

Every time I walk into dicks I walk right over to the counter to see if the 6 ball packs are in stock. Great deal if you find them that way 

9 hours ago, 2puttbogey said:

This is one of the balls I'm interested in seeing ball lab results on. If the lower tier tour balls meets the quality of the top tier balls it could change the thinking of some golfers.

I would love to see MGS separate out on these tests seniors from other golfers.  For example, a 70-year old swinging 90 mph will have a much different (likely better) swing than a 30 year old with the same swing speed.  Don't know whether that makes any difference in golf ball distance, spin, etc., but isn't what MGS's tests are good at figuring out?

• Bridgestone B X.

1 hour ago, HAC said:

I would love to see MGS separate out on these tests seniors from other golfers.  For example, a 70-year old swinging 90 mph will have a much different (likely better) swing than a 30 year old with the same swing speed.  Don't know whether that makes any difference in golf ball distance, spin, etc., but isn't what MGS's tests are good at figuring out?

What matters beyond club head speed is the delivery of the club (face angle, dynamic loft, impact location on face). I am not sure if there is a noticeable trend in how seniors deliver the club vs younger players assuming that club head speed remains equal (there is likely a huge variance at both age groups depending on the handicap range being considered). Ultimately last years test was likely a ridiculous amount of work even with limiting the swing variables down to two swing speeds with consistent delivery so adding more variables is likely not plausible. 

Edited by storm319

:titelist-small:  TS2 9.5

:titelist-small:  909F2 15.5

:titelist-small:  690.CB 3-PW

:titelist-small:  Vokey SM5 50, 56

image.png.e50b7e7a9b18feff4720d7b223a2013d.png   Works Versa 1W

• 2 weeks later...

I think that the key value of the MSG report is using the robot to keep all variables equal and provide us with the outcome so we as a consumer know what we might expect on any swing mirroring that of the robot. All those other variables change on a swing by swing basis for every golfer (none of us are machines and repeat exactly the same swing every time) so attempting to create an analysis with all these other factors would be near impossible because you'd also need to factor weather variables (temp, humidity, wind) as well... so at the very least as a consumer I can view the report as "If I swing at or near perfect, I can expect this ball to do X (a measurement somewhere within the range of the test for all factors)"!

In my own testing using their report, I was able to confirm I would get better performance out of a different ball I had never even considered using! I had been playing Vice Pro Soft exclusively and initially tried the Q Star Tour (performed better across the board over the Vice), then the Z Star (gained maybe 5 yards off the tee but lost 5 yards on short irons compared to Q Star), and ultimately tested the Maxfli Tour (performed better than all tested (for me) across all areas of distance, control, and spin on the average).

Driver:callaway-small: Rouge Sub-Zero
3 Wood:cobra-small: F6
Hybrid:cobra-small: F6
Irons:taylormade-small: RSi1 5-AW
Wedges:callaway-small: MD3 54 & 58
Putter:taylormade-small: TP Red Collection Ardmore 2
Ball:srixon-small: Z-Star