Golfspy_CG2

Srixon Introduces 3rd Generation Q Star Tour

Our Sponsors

On 4/18/2020 at 11:29 PM, tj2kgolfer said:

Big fan of the mid level multi layer construction golf balls. I love this ball and I love the new Titleist tour soft.

I buy the Srixon Q Star Tour over the Titleist Tour Soft (an excellent ball) for two reasons (1) the Urethane cover on the Q Star Tour and (2) it is much cheaper.

• Like 2

• :ping-small: G Driver 10.5 Aldila Alta Regular Flex 55
  • :cobra-small: S2 5 wood Fujikura 65 FW Regular Shaft
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrids 21 and 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at D4 settings
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedges 54 and 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft
  • :cameron-small: Select Newport 2 putter 34 inch length
  • Golf ball :srixon-small: Q Star Tour or Z Star

57 minutes ago, HAC said:

I buy the Srixon Q Star Tour over the Titleist Tour Soft (an excellent ball) for two reasons (1) the Urethane cover on the Q Star Tour and (2) it is much cheaper.

Gen 3s are still $32.99 a dozen for the Q Star Tour.  However, urethane is better any day!

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, AmishJason said:

Gen 3s are still $32.99 a dozen for the Q Star Tour.  However, urethane is better any day!

I got mine on a buy 2 dozen get a third dozen free sale and bought six balls extra so that I could get $15 off from Dick's for spending more than $75.  So, my all in cost was a bit less than $20 a dozen.  Yes, if I bought $75 worth of the Titleists, I could have gotten the $15 extra, but I have not seen the three for two sales on this Titleist ball.  I know that Titleist (and others) often do 4 for 3 sales in the spring (I have only seen this for Pro V1, Pro VIx and I think AVX), but 3 for 2 is a better deal and I see deals for Srixons pretty frequently.

Edited by HAC
  • Like 3

• :titelist-small: H818 Hybrids 21 and 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at D4 settings
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedges 54 and 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex

Go to golfballs.com, Q Star Tour Prior Gen are on sale for 14.95. Free shipping if you spend 50 bucks.

• Like 2

Will give these a try someday but I still have two dozen to use up first. 

Ping G400 Max driver | Ping G410 3 & 5 fairway woods | Titleist 818 H1 4 & 5 hybrids | Titleist 718 AP1 irons | Titleist SM6 52 F & 56M wedges | Rife Mid Mallet 400 putter | Bushnell NEO Ghost GPS | Snell MTB-X yellow / Srixon Q Star Tour yellow ball | GHIN hcp floats between 10 & 14

"Never bet against an old man with old clubs that have new grips"

On 2/4/2020 at 11:12 AM, Berg Ryman said:

As a former QST guy, I'd let you all know that GG and Dicks are still selling 2 sleeve trial packs for 10 bucks of V3. So if you wanna save some cash, well..  you know

Every time I walk into dicks I walk right over to the counter to see if the 6 ball packs are in stock. Great deal if you find them that way 

This is one of the balls I'm interested in seeing ball lab results on. If the lower tier tour balls meets the quality of the top tier balls it could change the thinking of some golfers.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 2puttbogey said:

This is one of the balls I'm interested in seeing ball lab results on. If the lower tier tour balls meets the quality of the top tier balls it could change the thinking of some golfers.

I would love to see MGS separate out on these tests seniors from other golfers.  For example, a 70-year old swinging 90 mph will have a much different (likely better) swing than a 30 year old with the same swing speed.  Don't know whether that makes any difference in golf ball distance, spin, etc., but isn't what MGS's tests are good at figuring out?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, HAC said:

I would love to see MGS separate out on these tests seniors from other golfers.  For example, a 70-year old swinging 90 mph will have a much different (likely better) swing than a 30 year old with the same swing speed.  Don't know whether that makes any difference in golf ball distance, spin, etc., but isn't what MGS's tests are good at figuring out?

What matters beyond club head speed is the delivery of the club (face angle, dynamic loft, impact location on face). I am not sure if there is a noticeable trend in how seniors deliver the club vs younger players assuming that club head speed remains equal (there is likely a huge variance at both age groups depending on the handicap range being considered). Ultimately last years test was likely a ridiculous amount of work even with limiting the swing variables down to two swing speeds with consistent delivery so adding more variables is likely not plausible. 

Edited by storm319

:titelist-small:  915D3

:titelist-small:  909F2

:titelist-small:  690.CB

:titelist-small:  Vokey SM5

:ping-small:  iWi D66

I think that the key value of the MSG report is using the robot to keep all variables equal and provide us with the outcome so we as a consumer know what we might expect on any swing mirroring that of the robot. All those other variables change on a swing by swing basis for every golfer (none of us are machines and repeat exactly the same swing every time) so attempting to create an analysis with all these other factors would be near impossible because you'd also need to factor weather variables (temp, humidity, wind) as well... so at the very least as a consumer I can view the report as "If I swing at or near perfect, I can expect this ball to do X (a measurement somewhere within the range of the test for all factors)"!

In my own testing using their report, I was able to confirm I would get better performance out of a different ball I had never even considered using! I had been playing Vice Pro Soft exclusively and initially tried the Q Star Tour (performed better across the board over the Vice), then the Z Star (gained maybe 5 yards off the tee but lost 5 yards on short irons compared to Q Star), and ultimately tested the Maxfli Tour (performed better than all tested (for me) across all areas of distance, control, and spin on the average).

• Like 1

Driver:callaway-small: Rouge Sub-Zero
3 Wood:cobra-small: F6
Hybrid:cobra-small: F6
Irons:taylormade-small: RSi1 5-AW
Wedges:callaway-small: MD3 54 & 58
Putter:taylormade-small: TP Red Collection Ardmore 2
Ball:srixon-small: Z-Star