Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Any thoughts on the new World Handicap System ( WHS ) ?

New World Handicap System (WHS) is now in affect and promises to be a more dynamic and effective method of calculating an individual's handicap but it also carries a slightly higher price tag.

My home club has decided not to use the WSH because of the increase in price they would have to pass on to the membership ( about $20 ). My handicap with my club will no longer be official in tournaments at other clubs. So I likely will need to find another source of  maintaining a WHS. From the sources I have found it will cost me about $56/year. Not really much money but it is estimated that over 85% of golfers don't have an established handicap so any increase in price will do nothing to encourage more golfers to begin establishing a handicap.

What do you think about WHS ?

:cobra-small: SpeedZone Pars and Stripes 9.5* Driver 14gm weight in back, VENTUS Blue 6-R set to +1* draw.

:cobra-small: 14.5* Fairway,  18.5* Fairway, 22.5* Fairway.  All with Tensei CK Blue R set to +1* draw.

:titleist-small:  816H1 27* Hybrid w/ Diamana Blue Board 70 HY Stiff Shaft

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE 5 + 6   KBS Tour 80 R

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE 7, 8, 9  KBS Tour 90 R                                     

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE P, G, S  KBS Wedge

:cobra-small: King Black ONE 60*  VO8*      True Temper Dynamic Gold Black

Lamkin Crossline Cord Connect Black Mid-size plus 2 wraps

:cameron-small:  Special Select Newport 2  34" :scotty-small: Matador grip               :Arccos:                                                                                                                                                               

:titleist-small:  -ProV1x  Align XL  

All in a :cobra-small:  Masters Staff Bag  or  SpeedZone stand bag

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4  The ONLY One Length Contestant!

Tested :bridgestone-small: Prototype Balls       Tour B RXS                Tested:image.png.8e77a45b1fe8c9cfb7c2a61386f855a5.pngBlack Cat irons 5 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Graphite Regular +0.5" 1* upright                

BirdieBall Outdoor Putting Green                                 

Several threads discussing this already...

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/35400-new-golf-handicap-system/

With regards to cost for GHIN, you might want to get in touch with The Texas State Golf Association. https://www.txga.org/GHIN-handicap-service.html

I can't speak for Texas, but here in Florida, the FSGA allows you to purchase your handicap and maintain it through them for $40 a year.  Works for me.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS
17 minutes ago, daviddvm said:

New World Handicap System (WHS) is now in affect and promises to be a more dynamic and effective method of calculating an individual's handicap but it also carries a slightly higher price tag.

My home club has decided not to use the WSH because of the increase in price they would have to pass on to the membership ( about $20 ). My handicap with my club will no longer be official in tournaments at other clubs. So I likely will need to find another source of  maintaining a WHS. From the sources I have found it will cost me about $56/year. Not really much money but it is estimated that over 85% of golfers don't have an established handicap so any increase in price will do nothing to encourage more golfers to begin establishing a handicap.

What do you think about WHS ?

I'm surprised that the additional price tag is so high, although I did know that the charges from the USGA were going up slightly.  I don't know if there is a "per club" cost in addition to the "per golfer" cost.  But other than that, I think the new system is good, a few things will take some getting used to.  The new GHIN app looks like it will be an improvement as well, although its off to a bit of a rocky start.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

9 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I'm surprised that the additional price tag is so high, although I did know that the charges from the USGA were going up slightly.  I don't know if there is a "per club" cost in addition to the "per golfer" cost.  But other than that, I think the new system is good, a few things will take some getting used to.  The new GHIN app looks like it will be an improvement as well, although its off to a bit of a rocky start.

It probably varies from club to club.  Here in WA the GHIN is $50 and the Men's Club at my muni is $60 which includes GHIN.  I suspect some clubs will increase the Men's Club fee because they can "attribute" it to the WHS changes.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

18 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

It probably varies from club to club.  Here in WA the GHIN is $50 and the Men's Club at my muni is $60 which includes GHIN.  I suspect some clubs will increase the Men's Club fee because they can "attribute" it to the WHS changes.

Last year we paid $40 each for my wife and I.  If the same schedule holds, I'll see it on my Feb 1 bill from the club, and try to remember to update this thread.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

7 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Last year we paid $40 each for my wife and I.  If the same schedule holds, I'll see it on my Feb 1 bill from the club, and try to remember to update this thread.

My club in Georgia charges $40, an the FSGA charges the same $40, so I opted to stay with the FSGA so I could play Florida one day tournaments this year, rather than be limited to Georgia, which I only play in at my home course.  Honestly, that is the most bizarre situation I have ever encountered with a handicap issue.  The FSGA requires anyone that plays in their tournaments or one day events to have a Florida handicap.  I had a buddy who had a handicap established at a club in Georgia and the FSGA wouldn't honor it for their one day events, and told him he had to have a Florida handicap.  

That was quite the conversation between us and the FSGA, because you would assume that a GHIN handicap would be go no matter where you play.  I was under the assumption that that is the whole reason we have gone to this new WHS system, and away from all of the different handicap systems.  My buddy & I chalked it up to the FSGA just trying to make an extra $$ off of someone from out of state wanting to play in their one day events.  I suppose I could have taken that situation up the chain of command at the FSGA, because I feel it's extortion just to play in one of their events, but it's their event, and their rules, so I guess they can do what they want.  It's stupid too, when you consider that in those events I play in the gross flights, where handicap is not even used.  The FSGA should just call it an annual membership fee honestly, rather than forcing people to get a handicap through them in Florida.  But I know they have other levels of membership for the FSGA for people who want to play in some of their real multi day tournaments.  Ironic too, when you consider that a lot of their tournaments are state championships that are gross and handicaps aren't even considered.

Sorry, I digress.

4 minutes ago, GSwag said:

My club in Georgia charges $40, an the FSGA charges the same $40, so I opted to stay with the FSGA so I could play Florida one day tournaments this year, rather than be limited to Georgia, which I only play in at my home course.  Honestly, that is the most bizarre situation I have ever encountered with a handicap issue.  The FSGA requires anyone that plays in their tournaments or one day events to have a Florida handicap.  I had a buddy who had a handicap established at a club in Georgia and the FSGA wouldn't honor it for their one day events, and told him he had to have a Florida handicap.  

That was quite the conversation between us and the FSGA, because you would assume that a GHIN handicap would be go no matter where you play.  I was under the assumption that that is the whole reason we have gone to this new WHS system, and away from all of the different handicap systems.  My buddy & I chalked it up to the FSGA just trying to make an extra $$ off of someone from out of state wanting to play in their one day events.  I suppose I could have taken that situation up the chain of command at the FSGA, because I feel it's extortion just to play in one of their events, but it's their event, and their rules, so I guess they can do what they want.  It's stupid too, when you consider that in those events I play in the gross flights, where handicap is not even used.  The FSGA should just call it an annual membership fee honestly, rather than forcing people to get a handicap through them in Florida.  But I know they have other levels of membership for the FSGA for people who want to play in some of their real multi day tournaments.  Ironic too, when you consider that a lot of their tournaments are state championships that are gross and handicaps aren't even considered.

Sorry, I digress.

Was it because of a Florida handicap or was it because he was not a member of FSGA? In Cali, I can play in NCGA events because I am a member of the NCGA, if I want to play in SCGA events I have to join the SCGA to play. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

2 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

Was it because of a Florida handicap or was it because he was not a member of FSGA? In Cali, I can play in NCGA events because I am a member of the NCGA, if I want to play in SCGA events I have to join the SCGA to play. 

The one day events don't require an FSGA membership, but require everyone to have a Florida GHIN handicap.  See https://www.fsga.org/TournamentCategoryLink/One-Day-Events/9/About  That link I provided even says, "Players without an established Florida GHIN handicap index will be eligible to compete, but are not eligible for prizes, unless they would like to play in the gross division until their handicap index is established."  So I asked the FSGA about that, and he held firm and said that my friend needed a Florida GHIN handicap to play at all.  Stupid, because they don't use handicap in the gross divisions.

The other tournaments, which are often two or three day state championships actually require at least a regular membership to the FSGA.  I went through that in 2018 when I played in several team events with a buddy.  But as I found out, it's a waste of my time playing in those, at least from a competitive standpoint, because everyone in those tournaments is scratch or better.  I mean, the guys we played with in a two man best ball tournament hit every GIR and birdied 8 of the first 9 holes.  Meanwhile, there's me and my buddy, who are both around 7 handicaps happy to be making pars on most holes, and I threw in 1 birdie each day just for kicks and giggles.  I think we finished T40 out of 43 teams.  So unless you just like playing different courses and don't care about the competitive side of it, it's a total waste of time.  And for what those tournaments cost, I can go play Streamsong over a long weekend for about the same price.

1 hour ago, GSwag said:

The one day events don't require an FSGA membership, but require everyone to have a Florida GHIN handicap.  See https://www.fsga.org/TournamentCategoryLink/One-Day-Events/9/About  That link I provided even says, "Players without an established Florida GHIN handicap index will be eligible to compete, but are not eligible for prizes, unless they would like to play in the gross division until their handicap index is established."  So I asked the FSGA about that, and he held firm and said that my friend needed a Florida GHIN handicap to play at all.  Stupid, because they don't use handicap in the gross divisions.

The other tournaments, which are often two or three day state championships actually require at least a regular membership to the FSGA.  I went through that in 2018 when I played in several team events with a buddy.  But as I found out, it's a waste of my time playing in those, at least from a competitive standpoint, because everyone in those tournaments is scratch or better.  I mean, the guys we played with in a two man best ball tournament hit every GIR and birdied 8 of the first 9 holes.  Meanwhile, there's me and my buddy, who are both around 7 handicaps happy to be making pars on most holes, and I threw in 1 birdie each day just for kicks and giggles.  I think we finished T40 out of 43 teams.  So unless you just like playing different courses and don't care about the competitive side of it, it's a total waste of time.  And for what those tournaments cost, I can go play Streamsong over a long weekend for about the same price.

I know that the Virginia State Golf Association one-day tournaments are often at very nice courses, and at VERY reasonable costs, so I have to believe that they're subsidized to a large degree by VSGA members.  I could understand a higher entry fee for an out of state golfer, but I can't understand prohibiting them completely.  Perhaps they have experienced issues with (percieved?) sandbagging by players with out-of-state Handicaps, and have chosen to eliminate that possibility.  If everyone in the event keeps a Florida handicap, the Florida GA can unilaterally modify any player's USGA handicap if appropriate, they wouldn't have that authority for someone from an out-of-state home club.  

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

36 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I know that the Virginia State Golf Association one-day tournaments are often at very nice courses, and at VERY reasonable costs, so I have to believe that they're subsidized to a large degree by VSGA members.  I could understand a higher entry fee for an out of state golfer, but I can't understand prohibiting them completely.  Perhaps they have experienced issues with (percieved?) sandbagging by players with out-of-state Handicaps, and have chosen to eliminate that possibility.  If everyone in the event keeps a Florida handicap, the Florida GA can unilaterally modify any player's USGA handicap if appropriate, they wouldn't have that authority for someone from an out-of-state home club.  

That's probably a very plausible explanation for the net flights in these events, but it still doesn't offer an explanation on someone opting to play in a gross flight, where handicap is not used.

47 minutes ago, GSwag said:

That's probably a very plausible explanation for the net flights in these events, but it still doesn't offer an explanation on someone opting to play in a gross flight, where handicap is not used.

Again, if the FSGA subsidizes the cost of your golf at these events, and subsidizes the prize money, I can understand them limiting participation to people who pay the FSGA for handicap services or membership, something more than just an entry fee.  I'm not defending them, just saying that its one reasonable way to run things, taking care of their own constituents.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia