TESTERS WANTED! ×

Jim Nantz says Tiger Woods is not bigger than the game

Moecat

http://www.golf.com/golf/tours_news/article/0,28136,1969838,00.html

CBS announcer Jim Nantz is approaching a quarter-century of broadcasting the Masters, and he says this year's tournament is going to be special whether Tiger Woods plays or not.

"The sport is not about one player, and I say that with a world of respect for his talents on the golf course," Nantz said in an interview in the April issue of Golf Magazine. "But the game is bigger than Tiger Woods. The doom-and-gloom theorists really don't understand the sport. His stepping away from the game is not the end of the world."

Nantz, whose association with the Masters is as strong as anyone not named Bobby Jones or Jack Nicklaus, said that the tournament and the game are not as fragile as some people think.

"Somebody asked me, 'How worried are you about the Masters without Tiger Woods?' I said, 'Are you kidding me? I'm not worried at all,'" Nantz said. "If he decides to play, it will be great to have him in the field, and we'll cover it. But that tournament's going to be very special whether he's there or not."

Nantz also talked with Golf Magazine about the publicity surrounding his divorce last year. Nantz said the media reported inaccuracies about his personal life and that he was hurt by the ordeal.

"I feel like the whole thing was so misrepresented," Nantz said. "It's really hard to believe what came out publicly and how salacious it sounded. It left me feeling really distrustful of everything I read or hear. I heard people I'm close to speculating on the radio about the divorce and ridiculing and laughing about some things that were written that just weren't true. I thought, 'Gosh, you know me better than that. I would never do that. How could you do this? Where is the sensitivity?'

I agree with him. I'm sure people felt Hogan, Palmer, and Nicklaus were bigger than the game too, but the game moved on. Maybe people who only watch golf for Tiger Woods think that he is bigger than the game, but I would completly disagree.

• SPY VIP

Nantz also talked with Golf Magazine about the publicity surrounding his divorce last year. Nantz said the media reported inaccuracies about his personal life and that he was hurt by the ordeal.

"I feel like the whole thing was so misrepresented," Nantz said. "It's really hard to believe what came out publicly and how salacious it sounded. It left me feeling really distrustful of everything I read or hear. I heard people I'm close to speculating on the radio about the divorce and ridiculing and laughing about some things that were written that just weren't true. I thought, 'Gosh, you know me better than that. I would never do that. How could you do this? Where is the sensitivity?'

Sounds like Mr. Nantz caught a small taste of what Tiger got hit with. No, I am not saying that he did anything like Tiger. Not in the least. If the media gets a hint of blood in the water, frenzy ensues. Too bad. Nantz seems like a cool guy. He would call in to the Don and Mike show when it was still on the air and his segments were always enjoyable to listen too.

Regardless, The Master's is always great to watch. I still wish Perry had closed it out last year...

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I agree. Unfortunately many important people in golf have forgotten this. When the news came about, The Golf Channel who has pretty much turned into the Tiger Channel, shamefully pleaded with viewers and media to not make a big deal out of it. Had they helped do a better job of promoting other player's in the game, their ratings wouldn't be tied into Tiger so much.

I also hear a lot of people talk about how bad purses will go down. While I'm sure Tour players are interested in the dollar as anybody, you can best believe that they don't play on Tour just for the money.

3JACK

Author of Pro Golf Synopsis. The Moneyball approach to golf strategy and analysis.Driver: Wishon 919THI, 10° loft, UST Mamiya VTS Red 7x, 44-3/8” long, 2,825 kg/cm^2 MOIGONZO WOOD: confidential2-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 17° loft, 40-7/8" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)3-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 20° loft, 40" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)4-6 iron: Wishon 575MMC (CB)7-PW: Wishon 575MMC (MB)SW: Edel Golf driver grind, 52° loft, 16° bounce, Nippon WV 125 shaft.LW: Edel Golf Digger Grind, 60° loft, 27° bounce, Nippon WV 125 ShaftPutter: Edel Golf Columbia Custom Made, 35" long, 72° lie angle, 3° loft. Ball: Titleist Pro V1xGrips: PURE Grips P2 Wrap (red)Shoes: FootJoy Dry-Joy (black, size 14)3Jack's Golf Blog - http://3jack.blogspot.com

For years and years golf had a problem with failing to market the Tour as well as it should. Take a look at other sports and you will see the equivalent of a Ricky Fowler being beautifully marketed and generating tons of dollars. In golf they put a guy like Fowler on the backburner until he proves it.

While that may sound nice that they won't market unproven talent, it certainly doesn't help the game financially. And a PGA Tour golfer can finished 70th on the money list every year, never win, and still make a nice living without really doing a thing besides being a very average Tour player (granted, which smokes me every day). But if guys are leading great lives by not earning it, why not market unproven talent more to generate more interest?

They really went overboard in the Tiger era because outside of Mickelson, Sergio and for a bit...Duval, most of the players have not been marketed that heavily while Tiger has been marketed more than any golfer in history. So what happens is now Tiger has to be in the field and in contention or the ratings fall off the face of the earth.

3JACK

Author of Pro Golf Synopsis. The Moneyball approach to golf strategy and analysis.Driver: Wishon 919THI, 10° loft, UST Mamiya VTS Red 7x, 44-3/8” long, 2,825 kg/cm^2 MOIGONZO WOOD: confidential2-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 17° loft, 40-7/8" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)3-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 20° loft, 40" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)4-6 iron: Wishon 575MMC (CB)7-PW: Wishon 575MMC (MB)SW: Edel Golf driver grind, 52° loft, 16° bounce, Nippon WV 125 shaft.LW: Edel Golf Digger Grind, 60° loft, 27° bounce, Nippon WV 125 ShaftPutter: Edel Golf Columbia Custom Made, 35" long, 72° lie angle, 3° loft. Ball: Titleist Pro V1xGrips: PURE Grips P2 Wrap (red)Shoes: FootJoy Dry-Joy (black, size 14)3Jack's Golf Blog - http://3jack.blogspot.com

• SPY VIP

Golf will certainly go on without Tiger, but I think in terms of popularity (maybe not exactly the right word given the way many feel about him) in this moment, he is bigger than golf.

He is bigger than golf right now, but for the wrong reasons.

It is possible that his scandal will bring more viewers to golf, even if he is not playing. Consumers have so much stuff to watch on TV these days that they almost need to be reminded that they enjoyed watching golf in the past. Tiger's mess-> Tiger plays golf-> i used to enjoy watching golf-> maybe there is some golf on TV this weekend.

I may be reaching here, and this would likely all be subconscious, but publicity is publicity. The Masters is getting more attention because of Tiger's situation.

Would it have been news last year if Jack said that tiger was going play the Masters? OK maybe because of the injury...

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Well, the game of golf itself will survive without Tiger, but the publicity and fan base will certainly drop... I've already seen reports that attendance at PGA events has dropped dramatically, and I'm sure TV rating are dropping as well... Sure the game will survive, but the money coming in is decreasing...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

Enough already. I don't care what Tiger does off the course. I just enjoy watching him play. It's incredibly naive for anyone to think, "How could this happen. I can't believe it." I think most people would agree that Tiger has always had an aura about him. You had to know he was somewhat of an ass. Both on and off the course. That is why I, and most of my friends, were really not that surprised about it.

The Masters will definitely not be impacted by Tiger's lack of involvement. I LOVE watching the Masters and look forward to it every year. There is something about that place that is magical and it transcends any one player.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Is it safe to say that Tiger is bigger than Jim Nantz?

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Archived