TESTERS WANTED! ×

Wilson D7 Forged?

bens197

No talk about the upcoming new release has me a little bummed. I was waiting for someone to start a post to discuss this latest release amid a blog post from MGS.

I’m confused by these irons. My first impression is a VERY nice looking club that would fit between a D and C series iron.

Further reading revealed some pumped up lofts...44* PW and a 30.5* 7iron.

It looks like they’re building a players forgiveness club which is something that I’m very interested in.

The aesthetic is truly Wilson but has a slight Mizuno 919 look in the cavity.

I’m interested to see what others think about these. First impression for me is very positive despite the lofts.

***Photo from MGS blog post

IMG_3151.JPG

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

The lofts are pretty consistent with pretty much everything else in the Player's Distance category. I smacked it around on a launch monitor prior to writing the piece and compared it the TaylorMade P790 - which is virtually the same loft structure. 7-iron to 7-iron the Wilson was maybe a tad longer, but not enough to matter, and another day the results might have been reversed. I did find a bit tighter dispersion with the D7 Forged, but again, it wasn't a huge margin.  What that tells me is it's a very solid contender against one of the top irons in the Player's Distance category.

I've  kind of gotten over the whole loft thing - the club is in the Player's Distance category - it's a new category that's morphed into a thing over the past few years - and is designed for better players who may want to hit the ball a little farther or, in my case, as far as I did 5 years ago before Father Time began his full frontal assault. I'm not sure strengthening the lofts is all that much of a crime. 

I was getting 7-iron spin in the 5200 range with a descent angle ranging from 45 to 47 degrees, which tells me it'll stop on the green well enough, with distance reaching a high of 169 and an average of about 165. Again, that's about 20 or so shots on the Golf and Ski Warehouse Trackman, but it is what it is. It's about a club and half longer than the 2001 MacGregor's I've been playing, and maybe a half a club longer than the Hogan PTx irons I also used last year.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I really wanted to test the D7's but nothing in my area.  So I take it the REAKT version were cast?  Interesting that the forged model still have the speed slots.  These club categories seem to be merging/morphing quite a bit.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I really wanted to test the D7's but nothing in my area.  So I take it the REAKT version were cast?  Interesting that the forged model still have the speed slots.  These club categories seem to be merging/morphing quite a bit.

I think you’re right. There may be a consolidation amongst the C and D lines and that really isn’t the worst thing.
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

The lofts are pretty consistent with pretty much everything else in the Player's Distance category. I smacked it around on a launch monitor prior to writing the piece and compared it the TaylorMade P790 - which is virtually the same loft structure. 7-iron to 7-iron the Wilson was maybe a tad longer, but not enough to matter, and another day the results might have been reversed. I did find a bit tighter dispersion with the D7 Forged, but again, it wasn't a huge margin.  What that tells me is it's a very solid contender against one of the top irons in the Player's Distance category.
I've  kind of gotten over the whole loft thing - the club is in the Player's Distance category - it's a new category that's morphed into a thing over the past few years - and is designed for better players who may want to hit the ball a little farther or, in my case, as far as I did 5 years ago before Father Time began his full frontal assault. I'm not sure strengthening the lofts is all that much of a crime. 
I was getting 7-iron spin in the 5200 range with a descent angle ranging from 45 to 47 degrees, which tells me it'll stop on the green well enough, with distance reaching a high of 169 and an average of about 165. Again, that's about 20 or so shots on the Golf and Ski Warehouse Trackman, but it is what it is. It's about a club and half longer than the 2001 MacGregor's I've been playing, and maybe a half a club longer than the Hogan PTx irons I also used last year.

I share the same sentiment regarding the lofts. It would mean a significant change in my iron game and to be honest, a proper one.

How’d they feel? The urethane insert with an 8620 face would appear to be a nice partnership.

The KBS Taper $ Lite is a nice choice and I’m wondering how it complements the forged face.

Thanks
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Like the aesthetics, like the sales pitch, hate the lofts... I’d consider a club or two for the top end of my bag, but I’m not going to game a 44-degree wedge until I absolutely have to. I’m at 46 right now and that’s as strong as I want to be for that club.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

1 hour ago, bens197 said:

I share the same sentiment regarding the lofts. It would mean a significant change in my iron game and to be honest, a proper one.

How’d they feel? The urethane insert with an 8620 face would appear to be a nice partnership.

The KBS Taper $ Lite is a nice choice and I’m wondering how it complements the forged face.

Thanks emoji1360.png

Wilson said one of the things they wanted to improve over the C300 Forged was feel, and the succeeded, mostly.  On-center and close to on center hits felt like a forged iron should - the forged face and the urethane filling in the Power Chamber did the job. Real off-center hits (it's January, I'm rusty!) gave you, uhhhh, the feedback to tell you you missed. The ball still went - there was expected drop off in distance, but as much as a player's cavity back, but more than a real GI iron. 

I'm a huge fan of the $ Taper Lite shaft and the pairing works well with this iron. The stiff weighs 100 grams - and the lightness compliments the club quite nicely to help generate distance. 

Recommend giving them a try - if you're in the market for player's distance irons these should definitely be on the must-demo list, along with the TaylorMade P790 and the Mizuno Hot Metal. I'm not sure if the Cleveland UHX irons fit into the Game Improvement or Player's Distance categories, but I'd recommend those too. 

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

9 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Standard D7 is cast and is a game improvement iron. It's still current in the Wilson catalog. I think you're right about categories merging and morphing - some clubs are obvious SGI or GI irons, but others can branch out into several different categories.  As mentioned in the blog post, Wilson saw - for them - a huge jump in custom orders for the standard D7 last year -- which was unprecedented for a GI iron - and the shafts and specs ordered, many as combo sets, were going into the bags of better players.  

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

36 minutes ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

Wilson said one of the things they wanted to improve over the C300 Forged was feel, and the succeeded, mostly.  On-center and close to on center hits felt like a forged iron should - the forged face and the urethane filling in the Power Chamber did the job. Real off-center hits (it's January, I'm rusty!) gave you, uhhhh, the feedback to tell you you missed. The ball still went - there was expected drop off in distance, but as much as a player's cavity back, but more than a real GI iron. 

I'm a huge fan of the $ Taper Lite shaft and the pairing works well with this iron. The stiff weighs 100 grams - and the lightness compliments the club quite nicely to help generate distance. 

Recommend giving them a try - if you're in the market for player's distance irons these should definitely be on the must-demo list, along with the TaylorMade P790 and the Mizuno Hot Metal. I'm not sure if the Cleveland UHX irons fit into the Game Improvement or Player's Distance categories, but I'd recommend those too. 

Thanks for clarifying...you mean, you also have off-center hits 🤣

Getting older means finding something that keeps the game fun. From all I’ve seen, these appear to straddle players & distance / GI well. 

We’ll see!

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

2 hours ago, TR1PTIK said:

Like the aesthetics, like the sales pitch, hate the lofts... I’d consider a club or two for the top end of my bag, but I’m not going to game a 44-degree wedge until I absolutely have to. I’m at 46 right now and that’s as strong as I want to be for that club.

It gives me some pause but I need to hit them myself before ruling them out. They really do look quite nice. 

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

15 minutes ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

Standard D7 is cast and is a game improvement iron. It's still current in the Wilson catalog. I think you're right about categories merging and morphing - some clubs are obvious SGI or GI irons, but others can branch out into several different categories.  As mentioned in the blog post, Wilson saw - for them - a huge jump in custom orders for the standard D7 last year -- which was unprecedented for a GI iron - and the shafts and specs ordered, many as combo sets, were going into the bags of better players.  

It would be interesting to know the shift in percentage of consumers getting fitted for clubs as opposed to say a decade ago.  There is much more press about golf club fitting (ie. Dick's TV spots, etc.) so I should think that has resulted in lots more customs.  If we end up moving to AZ, I'm definitely going to schedule an iron fitting with True Spec.  My fitter offered only PING, Callaway, Mizuno, Taylormade, KZG and Tour Edge... barely scratched the surface 🙂.

2 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Thanks for clarifying...you mean, you also have off-center hits 🤣

Getting older means finding something that keeps the game fun. From all I’ve seen, these appear to straddle players & distance / GI well. 

We’ll see!

True enough. At 59, I feel like the window of opportunity is closing.  I've seen the G410's described as GI and SGI and believe PING was trying to hit the morph zone you mention. Who knows, perhaps even had I tested everything, these are still the best sticks for this archer... but there's a part of me that dosen't feel that is the case.

5 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

True enough. At 59, I feel like the window of opportunity is closing.  I've seen the G410's described as GI and SGI and believe PING was trying to hit the morph zone you mention. Who knows, perhaps even had I tested everything, these are still the best sticks for this archer... but there's a part of me that dosen't feel that is the case.

I think it’s just a matter of convincing yourself that something geared towards making the game easier will in turn, continue to make it more fun.  This is why I love this forum; I can window shop and dig into what’s available and keep an already opened mind in order to find what’s best. 

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

11 hours ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

I don't mind the loft jacking from a design standpoint - it's required to hit the proper flight window. Right now, I'm still young enough to not really need the extra distance and I feel like a full set of players distance irons would create some gapping issues as I move into the wedges. Considering I'm already happy with the gapping at the top end of my bag, I don't want to create larger gaps at the bottom. It's an adjustment that I just don't have the time or desire to make right now. IDK, a trial run with a properly gapped set could change my mind, but who's going to offer me that?

Edited by TR1PTIK

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour