Jump to content
JudgeSmails

Most Wanted Drivers 2017 vs 2019

Recommended Posts

Our Sponsors

Some screenshots from the TXG channel and their recent videos. Of course this is with Matt so it’s not showing a lot of off center hits which is where most of the clubs have improved I would think.

IMG_4674.JPG

IMG_4692.JPG

IMG_4693.JPG


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

  • Like 3

Driver-  :taylormade-small:  2016 M2 12* Tensei Red Stiff

Wood(s)- :ping-small:  G400 5 Wood 17.5*/ 7 Wood 20.5* Alta CB Stiff

Irons-:mizuno-small:   JPX 900 Forged 7-GW NS Pro 950GH JPX MMC Fli-Hi 5-6 NS Pro 950GH

Wedges- :cleveland-small:   588 RTX 2.0  58*   RTX 4 64*

Putter-  :taylormade-small:  Spider Tour Black 

Instagram- @patrickleeleep

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as comparisons go I have played a Callaway XR16 Pro for the last 3.5 years and I love it.  However, I had a chance to get an Epic Flash Sub-Zero for a great deal here recently.  So I went out to compare them, same day, same shaft, same ball and same swing (or as consistent as one can repeat their swing).  After all the hype of the Epic Flash I was surprised that the XR16 out shined it in every aspect.  It was longer, straighter and sounded better in my opinion.  So what does this mean, for me it makes me think that Driver Technology hasn't really improved as much as we would think in the last 4 years.  However, I must admit that the biggest take away is that the shaft and head combination is HUGE!!!!  I am sure that if I found another shaft that fits me and the EP Flash, that I would see better results from the EP Flash, maybe not better than the XR16 but improved from my current shaft with that head.  I know that it will take something very impressive to get the XR16 Pro out of my bag.    


Hit'em straight and not too often!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/28/2020 at 5:01 PM, patrickleeleep said:

Some screenshots from the TXG channel and their recent videos. Of course this is with Matt so it’s not showing a lot of off center hits which is where most of the clubs have improved I would think.



IMG_4692.JPG




Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Has the Cobra stalled mid air? 

I love Cobra drivers and really considering changing my old Bio Cell to F9 or SZ but those figures don't give me the confidence boost I was hoping for!

 


:cobra:  Bio Cell (set to 10.5 deg), Project X, Stiff.
:cobra:  Baffler Rail F 15.5deg -  Fujikura Motore 60g Stiff

:cobra:  3/H Baffler Rail H 19 deg -  Fujikura Motore 65g Stiff

:taylormade: : 4i - 9i: Tour Preferred CB - Project X 95 6.0

:titleist: 48deg - (not sure what S it is, it's so old!!)

:taylormade: 52deg - Tour Preferred

:titleist: 54deg - SM6 (F grind)

:titleist: 60deg - SM6 (K grind)

:odyssey: White Ice - 2ball

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JoceratorsTree said:

Has the Cobra stalled mid air? 

I love Cobra drivers and really considering changing my old Bio Cell to F9 or SZ but those figures don't give me the confidence boost I was hoping for!

 

What does “stalled mid air” mean? 

Cobra makes good drivers and the latest release is another good one. Just like any other club it will fit some and won’t fit others

  • Like 1

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

What does “stalled mid air” mean? 

Cobra makes good drivers and the latest release is another good one. Just like any other club it will fit some and won’t fit others

I just mean that from those numbers above the Cobra SZ doesn't appear to have picked up any distance on the 2017 model compared to TM. 

I love Cobra and I am on my 4th driver of theirs down through the years and will continue to support them... but I would've liked to see an improvement in the numbers vs 2017 model.

 


:cobra:  Bio Cell (set to 10.5 deg), Project X, Stiff.
:cobra:  Baffler Rail F 15.5deg -  Fujikura Motore 60g Stiff

:cobra:  3/H Baffler Rail H 19 deg -  Fujikura Motore 65g Stiff

:taylormade: : 4i - 9i: Tour Preferred CB - Project X 95 6.0

:titleist: 48deg - (not sure what S it is, it's so old!!)

:taylormade: 52deg - Tour Preferred

:titleist: 54deg - SM6 (F grind)

:titleist: 60deg - SM6 (K grind)

:odyssey: White Ice - 2ball

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, JoceratorsTree said:

I just mean that from those numbers above the Cobra SZ doesn't appear to have picked up any distance on the 2017 model compared to TM. 

I love Cobra and I am on my 4th driver of theirs down through the years and will continue to support them... but I would've liked to see an improvement in the numbers vs 2017 model.

 

 

... If you are Cobra driver fan, I would still demo the new clubs, especially the Xtreme SZ driver. I am not telling you anything you probably don't already know, but every swing is different. I never hit the LTD really well and for my swing the F9 was a huge improvement. I have not hit my Xtreme yet but am hoping it is as long as my F9 but more forgiving with improved accuracy. One thing for sure is my swing and Matt's swing have zero in common, so those numbers and comparison mean nothing to me.  

  • Like 1

Driver:   Cobra Speedzone Xtreme 9* ... Tensei Pro Orange 60r
Fw wood: Cobra Speedzone 14.5* ... Atmos TS Blue 75s
Utility:   TaylorMade RBZ Tour Hy ... Matrix Altus 85 hy
Irons:    4-Gw Titleist T100-S ... Kuro Kage 105 Tini s-flex
              4-pw TaylorMade P760 ... Recoil Prototype 95 r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind /SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Recoil 110s
Putter:  Newport 2.5 at 33"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, JoceratorsTree said:

I just mean that from those numbers above the Cobra SZ doesn't appear to have picked up any distance on the 2017 model compared to TM. 

I love Cobra and I am on my 4th driver of theirs down through the years and will continue to support them... but I would've liked to see an improvement in the numbers vs 2017 model.

 

For some it will take somewhere between 3-5 years before they see improvements in performance in some areas of launch characteristics especially the ones who have consistent contact and that contact being around the center of the face. Matt from TXG is pretty consistent in contact and delivery so he is one that in many brands won’t see noticeable differences in a 3 year span. Matt’s also not one that prefers or has success with the lower spinning drivers.

If you look at the numbers the difference are what many sources consider pretty much the same because they are very small differences but some more spin and launch isn’t a bad thing. The part that many ignore is the standard deviation. The new driver improved in the several of those categories. 

 

  • Like 1

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chisag said:

 

... If you are Cobra driver fan, I would still demo the new clubs, especially the Xtreme SZ driver. I am not telling you anything you probably don't already know, but every swing is different. I never hit the LTD really well and for my swing the F9 was a huge improvement. I have not hit my Xtreme yet but am hoping it is as long as my F9 but more forgiving with improved accuracy. One thing for sure is my swing and Matt's swing have zero in common, so those numbers and comparison mean nothing to me.  

 

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

For some it will take somewhere between 3-5 years before they see improvements in performance in some areas of launch characteristics especially the ones who have consistent contact and that contact being around the center of the face. Matt from TXG is pretty consistent in contact and delivery so he is one that in many brands won’t see noticeable differences in a 3 year span. Matt’s also not one that prefers or has success with the lower spinning drivers.

If you look at the numbers the difference are what many sources consider pretty much the same because they are very small differences but some more spin and launch isn’t a bad thing. The part that many ignore is the standard deviation. The new driver improved in the several of those categories. 

 

This is why I love MGS, I get an education on Donald Rumsfeld Points (what I call the things I don't know that I don't know) and I'm happy to get them so, genuinely, thanks both for the advice.

I will definitely try out the SZ for myself and with a bit of luck it will be in the bag for when the Covid lockdown lifts! 

  • Like 1

:cobra:  Bio Cell (set to 10.5 deg), Project X, Stiff.
:cobra:  Baffler Rail F 15.5deg -  Fujikura Motore 60g Stiff

:cobra:  3/H Baffler Rail H 19 deg -  Fujikura Motore 65g Stiff

:taylormade: : 4i - 9i: Tour Preferred CB - Project X 95 6.0

:titleist: 48deg - (not sure what S it is, it's so old!!)

:taylormade: 52deg - Tour Preferred

:titleist: 54deg - SM6 (F grind)

:titleist: 60deg - SM6 (K grind)

:odyssey: White Ice - 2ball

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...