Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Senior golfer

1 hour ago, ricksarno said:

I am 70 years old and loved golf my whole life.  I am thinking about new irons and am looking for recommendations for brands that would be appropriate for my 80 mph swing speed.  Suggestions please.

There are no specific brands that are better or worse for seniors.  I'm just a bit younger than you and playing the same type of irons that I was playing 20 years ago.  The best way to figure it out is to go to a demo days at one of your local clubs.  You should start seeing them fairly soon as the new gear is rolled out.  Short of that, go to a big box store and hit some different clubs.

You say you have an 80 mph swing speed.  Is that driver speed?  Is it actual or estimated.  Most golf shops have some sort of machine to help you determine swing speed and appropriate shaft selections.  You're likely going to be looking at softer shafts, regular to maybe senior.  What are you playing now?

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

It is my belief that there is no one brand that's the end all be all of clubs.  Like CarlH stated getting to a fitter of some kind is what I would strongly recommend. You'll get the set up that's best for you!

Chris

Far and Sure......

:callaway-small:          GBB Epic  11*             

:callaway-small:               GBB Epic 7W (Heavenwood)

:ping-small::             G410 4 thru GW

:callaway-logo-1:   MD3 54*,60*                                                         

:cleveland-small:         Huntington Beach Soft #4

:bridgestone-small:   Tour B RX

Well, I play PING clubs, but that's just my biased opinion from someone who has played this game for 45 years.  If I were you I would find a local fitter to help you find the perfect set of clubs that work for you.  That's the best place to start to be honest.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

XXIO is targeted at players with slower swing speeds.    

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Lots of options since something with a larger forgiving iron with lighter shafts are offered by pretty much every brand. 

Brands that I’ve seen others your age play in my random pairings are PXG, Ping, Taylormade and Callaway. Brands that I think do a good job and make great equipment are PXG, Cleveland and XXIO 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I will echo what others have said...

Go to a fitter that can work out which brands and models work for YOU.

I did that a couple of years back.  I am a high handicap, moderate swing speed player.  Wanted to upgrade my 10+ year old set for more modern, more forgiving ones.  Went with an open mind as to brands, as i wanted the best for me for my budget.  He measued my swing to narrow down shaft options that suited me then 'blind tested' (as best as he could) about 8 or 10 different irons options, then did the same with hybrids and woods. 

First, Welcome to My Golf Spy , ricksarno. Now that you are here, you have the resources of thousands of golfers. Most will tell you to get fitted. Along the way, maybe you could tell us a bit about yourself, so we can get to know you. Where do you reside? When did you start playing? What equipment have you played? What courses have you played?

My best to you on your journey.....

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

On 1/9/2020 at 4:45 PM, ricksarno said:

I am 70 years old and loved golf my whole life.  I am thinking about new irons and am looking for recommendations for brands that would be appropriate for my 80 mph swing speed.  Suggestions please.

Welcome aboard Rick!   Personally myself and several other folks I know are enjoying their Callaway Rogue X irons.  I am 69 and my friend DawgDaddy (who is older than dirt) both game them.  They are easy to launch and have more kick than a broma bull courting a pretty little old heifer.   Oh and by the way, you are going to love it here! 😍

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

First, Welcome to My Golf Spy , ricksarno. Now that you are here, you have the resources of thousands of golfers. Most will tell you to get fitted. Along the way, maybe you could tell us a bit about yourself, so we can get to know you. Where do you reside? When did you start playing? What equipment have you played? What courses have you played?

My best to you on your journey.....

I’ll second the Fitting.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

On 1/9/2020 at 1:45 PM, ricksarno said:

Welcome from a 72 year old golfer!  I started playing in my mid-40's, and I will echo everyone's recommendation for a fitting.  It all depends on what you are playing now, but if you need new clubs, it's best to get a professional recommendation.  That way you are more assured that you are not leaving yards or accuracy on the table.  

I did a fitting at Truespec in October, and while I liked some of the iron options, the fitter said that none of them were statistically better performers than my gamers.  At least now I know.  Of course, that doesn't mean that I won't change anyway!  lol

I can also vouch for the SuperSpeed training to increase your club speed.  Forum members tested the SuperSpeed clubs and training program and it works; you just have to stick with it.  Do a search at the top of the forum page.  

Best of luck!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I'm 73 and am now handicapped and unable to play.

Nevertheless, I played the game for over fifty years and have a few thoughts.

Go softer with your shafts and weaker with your lofts.  Irons are extremely strong lofted today. In some case, they're lengthened as well to give adequate length to loft correlation.  In many cases, however, they're not.

I always went 1º flat with my irons.  With new irons, I would go ½" long and two degrees flat.   No matter how much technology was put into the new club heads to launch the ball,

if they don't give you enough shaft length for the loft, your shots will never reach the intended apex of their trajectory.

Another thing that changed for me as I got older was set configuration.  Driver, 3-wood, 1-9 irons, PW, SW, and putter is just not going to cut it any more.  That's what Jack carried, but even young people aren't bagging that setup any more.  See if you do better with hybrids or with 5, 7 and 9 woods.  I preferred generously lofted fairway woods because I not only couldn't hit hybrids as high or as far, but I hooked the hell out of them to boot.  On the other hand, there are plenty of people on this forum who've enjoyed great success with hybrids.

Wedge choices are important too.  Since they now call what were 8 and 9 irons pitching wedges and gap wedges respectively, we're talking two clubs strong, you're going to have to give more thought than people used to about configuring the short end of your bag. You might do well with lower compression golf balls as well, but some take issue with that.

It sounds more complicated than it is.  Find sticks that you like and have fun.

8 hours ago, ole gray said:

Welcome aboard Rick!   Personally myself and several other folks I know are enjoying their Callaway Rogue X irons.  I am 69 and my friend DawgDaddy (who is older than dirt) both game them.  They are easy to launch and have more kick than a broma bull courting a pretty little old heifer.   Oh and by the way, you are going to love it here! 😍

I too welcome you aboard Rick!  I have been really enjoying the Callaway Rogue X irons, they are as that whippersnapper ole gray says, "easy to launch and have more kick than a Brahma bull".  I'm a fairly young 72 golfer with a lower back fusion from S1 to L4 and these clubs have really given me back some of my game.  

Driver -  :callaway-small:   Rogue ST Max
Woods - :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max  3, 5 & 7 Woods
Irons  -   :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max                                                                                                                                                                                       

Wedges - :cleveland-small:  Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*                                                                                                                                               

Putter -  Evnroll   ER2
Rangefinder - :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX-10 Slope
Ball -  :vice: Pro Tour Drip                                                                                                                                                                                           

Bag -  :tour-edge: Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

I too welcome you aboard Rick!  I have been really enjoying the Callaway Rogue X irons, they are as that whippersnapper ole gray says, "easy to launch and have more kick than a Brahma bull".  I'm a fairly young 72 golfer with a lower back fusion from S1 to L4 and these clubs have really given me back some of my game.  

Funny how folks are different. I Demo’d the Cally Rogue X and was not crazy about them. I couldn’t do anything with them. Obviously not the club but the Player. Try “stuff” out and you’ll find your set.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

As another 70's golfer with an 80's SS I can relate. You're getting pretty consistent advice from all the members posting. I went through your dilemma of trying to pick the best set of irons last spring and decided to get a fitting (a first for me). In my fitting, I was surprised that the brands that I thought would work best didn't. We went went through every fitting cart he had, Ping, Cobra, TM, etc. etc. After 3 hours of hitting balls we ended up with a mixed bag: Cobra F-Max wood, 410 hybrids, D-7 irons with Recoil shafts.

What I found interesting was that some of his recommendations which worked best for me were unconventional such as a R Flex shaft on the driver (cut down) and wood. R flex Tensi shafts on the hybrids 1/2" longer. Again none of those would typically match up with an 80's SS and confirms the value of a fitter.

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Welcome to the club here! 

I guess I'm a youngster at 53 but I have found that as my swing has lost its zip I've been consistently fit into clubs with more loft, softer shafts and thicker soles (to help get the ball up in the air.)  Fitting is a key - don't be afraid to go get fit and find out what works best - if you don't want to or can't spend the bucks on a full fitting I've found that going for a ball fitting and asking questions can be a huge help - I had a Titleist ball fitting a few years ago that helped me pick up my current irons for a song on ebay - I self fit them.  When I went for a long game fitting last Spring my fitter said that there was no way he could improve on that fit - Ironically the irons that I'm gaming aren't Titleist but that ball fitter simply said, "You need this type of iron with this type of shaft.) 

Good luck and let us know how you end up.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

An one last point about a fitting is that the cost of the fitting (alone) is less that buying a club that doesn't work for you. Don't ask how I know.

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

8 hours ago, revkev said:

Welcome to the club here! 

I guess I'm a youngster at 53 but I have found that as my swing has lost its zip I've been consistently fit into clubs with more loft, softer shafts and thicker soles (to help get the ball up in the air.)  Fitting is a key - don't be afraid to go get fit and find out what works best - if you don't want to or can't spend the bucks on a full fitting I've found that going for a ball fitting and asking questions can be a huge help - I had a Titleist ball fitting a few years ago that helped me pick up my current irons for a song on ebay - I self fit them.  When I went for a long game fitting last Spring my fitter said that there was no way he could improve on that fit - Ironically the irons that I'm gaming aren't Titleist but that ball fitter simply said, "You need this type of iron with this type of shaft.) 

Good luck and let us know how you end up.

Wow!!  Each picture you post does make you look younger and younger, but 53...?  I never would have believed it.  😀

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

A thought...

'Fitting' does not have to mean a full, detailed, analysis of each and every club to tweak the exact loft etc. 

It can be as basic as checking your swing and making sure you get an appropriate shaft flex.  Trying a variety of different models to see what works best for YOU.  And making sure you get the right length and lie angles.  That's all my 'full bag' fitting was.  

A detailed gapping session and tweaking lofts to fine tune can easily be done later, if needed, once you get used to the clubs.

I think we lost ricksarno the original poster.  Only 1 post.  Hopefully he will come back for everyone's good info. 

I had that happen to me a few times. I joined a forum and couldn't remember the name of it or how I got there.  Think I eventually found them again. 🤣

:ping-small:  G400 Driver, Alta CB 55 S, Winn Dri-Tac

:ping-small:  G400 3W, Alta CB S Flex 65, Winn Dri-Tac

:ping-small:  G400 19*, Alta CB S Flex 70, Winn Dri-Tac

:ping-small:  G400 4-U Irons, Alta CB S Flex, Winn Dri-Tac

:callaway-small: Smart Sole SW,

:odyssey-small: White Steel 2 Ball SRT Putter - Odyssey Stroke Lab Grip