Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

"Standard" Set Configuration

RSeg

In my opinion the ultimate goal of the manufacturers with Loft Jacking is reducing the amount of clubs in a "standard" set and selling more individual clubs. Right now the sets are stopping at 4 iron but more and more reducing that to 5 iron or even some 6 irons. After that some driving irons and hybrids witch cost over 200 usd. On the short side of the bag, Right now with PW going down to 45 and 44 degrees, you need another specialty wedge after the GAP witch coincidentally also cost more than the "set" clubs.

Anyone else also thinks this is happening?

Why haven't any one in the industry spoken about this?

No and the loft jacking topic has been talked about ad nauseam here and everywhere else on the internet to include direct information from the the designers at several companies 

One can buy individual set makeup of blades or player cavities as well. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

The concept of a standard set is going away. Players are choosing to put specialty clubs at the top and bottom of the bag to accomplish specific goals. Players even make decisions across the iron set to include varying types and brands of irons.

Ultimately play what works for you and helps you have fun or score the best you can. Look at my signature, lots of headcovers and I start my irons at 6.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

6 minutes ago, Middler said:

Re: standard sets - not sure if it’s good or bad, but we all have options these days, hard to see how that’s bad. Long irons are harder to buy nowadays, but they haven’t disappeared yet. My club choices are somewhat old school out of habit.

I’ve argued loft jacking several times, but I’m even tired of it. There are truths and distortions on both sides...

Long irons are not hard to buy, in fact they are standard in most sets. Technology and information has changed so you don't see as many of them but they are readily available. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

I think it’s a great thing - that there is no such thing as a standard set anymore.

Of course manufacturers are going to adjust and make money on that trend. Why shouldn’t they? They aren’t not for profits. :)

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

On 1/10/2020 at 11:13 AM, RSeg said:

In my opinion the ultimate goal of the manufacturers with Loft Jacking is reducing the amount of clubs in a "standard" set and selling more individual clubs. Right now the sets are stopping at 4 iron but more and more reducing that to 5 iron or even some 6 irons. After that some driving irons and hybrids witch cost over 200 usd. On the short side of the bag, Right now with PW going down to 45 and 44 degrees, you need another specialty wedge after the GAP witch coincidentally also cost more than the "set" clubs.

Anyone else also thinks this is happening?

Why haven't any one in the industry spoken about this?

In 1988, I played Hogan Apex Redlines.  My longest iron had 19* of loft and was 39.25" long.

Now, I play Cobra F8s.  My longest iron has 19* of loft and is 39.25" long.  

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

2 hours ago, revkev said:

I think it’s a great thing - that there is no such thing as a standard set anymore.

Of course manufacturers are going to adjust and make money on that trend. Why shouldn’t they? They aren’t not for profits. 🙂

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Amen Rev.

Plenty of people are replacing lower lofted irons with hybrids, because lower lofted irons are too hard to hit.  My older daughter is a halfway decent player (she can break 90 on a 5300 yard golf course), and the longest iron she carries is a 7.  Her highest lofted hybrid is 30*.  She can hit 5 and 6 irons, but she can't hold greens with them.  Why should she carry clubs that don't work for her?  And why should I buy them?  She was fit into a set of AP1s, 7 - PW (she liked her old wedges, so no GW), for her senior season in high school.  Saved me a ton buying just what she needed.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

4 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

In 1988, I played Hogan Apex Redlines.  My longest iron had 19* of loft and was 39.25" long.

Now, I play Cobra F8s.  My longest iron has 19* of loft and is 39.25" long.  

And the Apex had the number 2 on the sole--- What does the Cobra have? I am going to guess 4

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

4 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

Amen Rev.

Plenty of people are replacing lower lofted irons with hybrids, because lower lofted irons are too hard to hit.  My older daughter is a halfway decent player (she can break 90 on a 5300 yard golf course), and the longest iron she carries is a 7.  Her highest lofted hybrid is 30*.  She can hit 5 and 6 irons, but she can't hold greens with them.  Why should she carry clubs that don't work for her?  And why should I buy them?  She was fit into a set of AP1s, 7 - PW (she liked her old wedges, so no GW), for her senior season in high school.  Saved me a ton buying just what she needed.

I am going to agree with you and Rev 110%---- Now I have always been able to hit long irons and still can--- But the top end of my bag has always been a little funny-- Back in the day I carried a 4 wood and a 6 wood ( 24*) but still carried and hit a 1 iron---- Now on the hybrid end I am sorta new to it---- I have finally found 2  I can hit---- That little Adams 24 in my signature I can hit several different shots with it and it has sorta became a go to club for me.  the other week I found a Adams Boxer (on the scrap pile) with an Matrix Ozik shaft in regular. That is one ugly club. I saved it for the shaft because I have a Adams Peanut 17* with a stiff shaft I can not hit. Well I always try clubs I find especially for the shaft to feel what the shaft does and to see if I want to use it. I figured with the Boxer which is 20* and off set I would hook the snot out of it. First time I used it was out on the course on a whim and I scorched it. It is a fairway finder too and with practice I found I can hit several shots with it and surprisingly I do not hook it. For some reason I control and hit it further than I do the Adams 4 wood in my signature.  So now the top end of my bag is pretty odd with no FW with 2 hybrids and a Ping Karsten 1 iron or a Tommy Armour 1 iron--- Last Saturday in a Dog Fight I hit that 20* 225 yards with the wind at my back on a Par 5. But on average I have been hitting it 210 or so.  But yep I have always believed in set make ups that get the job done with no regards to lofts etc. Most of you that know me know I have always thought outside the box. I carry the 1 iron for 2 holes at the club I am at now but if it is wet Saturday I may pull it out and put one of my Persimmon 2 woods in--- Like I said I have never been conventional and never will be

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

On 1/10/2020 at 2:15 PM, Middler said:

Re: standard sets - not sure if it’s good or bad, but we all have options these days, hard to see how that’s bad. Long irons are harder to buy nowadays, but they haven’t disappeared yet. My club choices are somewhat old school out of habit.

I’ve argued loft jacking several times, but I’m even tired of it. There are truths and distortions on both sides...

Old school and habit are not a bad thing------ You know what you can do with the older traditional lofts like I can---- It does not make 2 hoots to me if Joe Blow hits his super jacked up Carpenter hot steel faced PW where I hit my antique out of date Macgregor 8 iron. With me it is in my mind I am so ingrained on how far say I hit the 8 iron with the newer stuff it still says like 9 iron and is really a 7 iron but I can not get it out of my mind it is an 9 iron and I will try to kill it. So I have learned with much experimentation to do my own thing--- That is not to be misconstrued to say just because I hit old blades that every one else should too--- I have always been a proponent of play what works for you with no regard to jacked lofts or vintage. 

G

I went from standard full sent, when I was younger to what I use now; I would return.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 Super Bowl Champions Bag  :  :ping: G410 Plus, Alta Red CB 55 SR Flex, GX-7 14º(acting as a 3 wood),  :ping:   G400 4H, 5H. Sr Flex,   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges graphite SR Shafts (50º, 56º, 60º),  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g :bridgestone: e12 for the items I try to hit on purposematte red, so I can see them. :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

19 hours ago, BIG STU said:

And the Apex had the number 2 on the sole--- What does the Cobra have? I am going to guess 4

We have a winner!  Absolutely correct on both counts.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino